Monaco on our own???

Takemetoaspa

We are on the Voyager of the Seas stopping in Villefranche. In Monaco we want to visit the Oceangraphic Museum and the Cathedral where Grace Kelley is buried. None of the ship sponsored tours include an actual visit inside the Oceangraphic museum. How can we visit these 2 spots? We are docked from 7am-7pm.

No problem at all. You can either get the train to Monaco or the number 1 bus to Monaco. Bus is slower, but still only takes 30 mins or so. Follow signs up to the Palace area and the Cathedral is just down the road from there. The Ocenagraphic museum is about 100yds from the Cathedral.

Simon

Thanks for the info. How do I get from the cruise port to the place where I catch the bus?

This is a link to a google map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.70275,7.310296&spn=0.002249,0.004538&t=h&z=18

On the right is a red brick building with 2 glass panels on top (besdie where it says 'welcome hotel'), thats the tender port building. Look to the left, just above the football pitch, and there is a road that ends in the name Foch. Just by where it says 'Foch' (by the little gardens) is the bus stop. Wend your way up Avenue Marechel Joffre. Its a little bit of a climb and there are a few sets of pedestrian steps to 'cut the corners'. I think the bus fare is €1 each way. If you wanted to take the train, zoom out and look at the top of the bay. The station is right beside the sea (about a 10 min walk from the tender port).

Simon

We are on the Voyager of the Seas stopping in Villefranche. In Monaco we want to visit the Oceangraphic Museum and the Cathedral where Grace Kelley is buried. None of the ship sponsored tours include an actual visit inside the Oceangraphic museum. How can we visit these 2 spots? We are docked from 7am-7pm.

We took the ship's tour Nice and Monaco on your own. If you don't want to deal with public transportation this is another option. In Monaco, the elevator from the bus garage leaves you directly in front of the Oceangraphic Museum. The Cathedral is maybe a block away. Monaco is teeny tiny.

We took the ship's tour Nice and Monaco on your own. If you don't want to deal with public transportation this is another option. In Monaco, the elevator from the bus garage leaves you directly in front of the Oceangraphic Museum. The Cathedral is maybe a block away. Monaco is teeny tiny.

Interesting option. Am curious what you paid for the cruise-ship sponsored bus. Using public transit would cost you 2 whole Euros (round trip) to Monte Carlo.

Hank

We know it Hank.....it is so easy to catch the train and get out and think for a few hours on your own instead of being herded around like cattle in the stale atmosphere of the tour bus...its an easy way out if you dont want to know about the port you are visiting but you probably have to pay 75usd each when if you would just walk a few blocks to catch the train (practicing French!) its such a nice escape and a learning experience on top of THAT. Keeps your brain from going stale.

Interesting option. Am curious what you paid for the cruise-ship sponsored bus. Using public transit would cost you 2 whole Euros (round trip) to Monte Carlo.

Hank

Hank, I honestly don't remember, but to us it was worth every penny. Remember, we went to Nice and Monaco.:) When I am on vacation, I don't want to deal with public transportation. I do that back in NY. :D I mean if it is only about money, why not use the efficient European ferry system instead of taking a cruise?

Hank, I honestly don't remember, but to us it was worth every penny. Remember, we went to Nice and Monaco.:) When I am on vacation, I don't want to deal with public transportation. I do that back in NY. :D I mean if it is only about money, why not use the efficient European ferry system instead of taking a cruise?

You have asked a fair question, and since I have long advocated for those who like to do things on their own I will give you my take on the issue. Yes, it is possible to use private tours (and/or cruise line tours) in most ports. I started helping folks years ago because of a question asked by a guy who headed a family of 4 taking their first Med cruise. It occurred to him that he would spend more money on excursions than on the entire cruise and he could not afford such a luxury. If somebody wants to spend $200 (or a lot more) in order to avoid taking a bus or a train of dollars on a European cruise than that is their choice. In the case of Nice and Monaco, it is very easy to use public transit since both are served by the public bus line (1 Euro) or the regional "TER" train system (somewhat more expensive than the bus). We are glad to know you are content to spend a few hundred extra dollars to avoid using the public transit systems, but not everyone is willing to spend their money in that way. By the way, some of us use another option which is to simply rent a car. For Nice and Monte Carlo we would never bother renting a car since they are so darn easy to accsss with cheap public transit. But for other places such as St Paul de Vence (our favorite village in this part of France) we find a rental car offers us many advantages in that we save a lot of time and have nearly unlimited flexibility to go where we want, when we want, with whom we want, at a reasonable price. It seems that some on cruise critic prefer to ignore the cost of some options and assume that everyone is willing to spend whatever is costs for private (or cruise line) tours. But, not all of us can afford the luxury of private tours, limos, private jets, private yachts, etc (now you have my flippant remark).

As to your remark about European ferry systems (sure sounds like a flippant remark) there are no normal ferries connectiing Monte Carlo or Nice with Villefranche! But, we have actually used European ferries, the most recent being an overnight cruise from Brindisi to Corfu and it was a fun experience so one should be careful before totally eliminatiing that option is some places such as the Greek Islands. Or course this is not an option for cruise passengers but is a great form of transportation for those of us who spend significant amounts of time in Europe.

Hank

I will try and answer the last two posts. Regarding buses vs trains for views (this would be for the section between Nice and Monte Carlo) we think the bus has a slightly better view...keeping in mind that the views on this short route are nothing spectacular. As to taxis, on our most recent visit to Monte Carlo (we were docked there this past April) we did not see any taxis near the port. I do not think it would be much better for tendering. Taxis in the south of France and Monte Carlo are not as plentiful as you will find in the ports of Italy or Spain. In fact, the taxis in this region could care less about cruise ship passengers. When we tendered into Cannes last April there were only 2 taxis at the parking lot next to the tender pier. As we walked from the Cannes tender area into town (we walked to the train station) we did see a few taxis parked at a cafe while all the drivers were drinking coffee and playing cards. So, will you find a taxi when you tender into MC? Perhaps. If you have a cell phone you could also call for a taxi (this is the way most folks get taxis in France and Monte Carlo). And I do think you have it right to want a taxi to get you to the Palace and Cathedral. Monte Carlo has lots of steep grades and steps that are not the best thing for most elderly folks.

Hank

We are thinking of going to Eze and Monaco on our own from Villefranche (sp). We are docked 7am-7pm. Would you recommend Eze first and then Monaco or the other way around?

Also, how far away from Villefranche is St Tropez? Is it possible to visit it instead of Monaco/Eze?

We are thinking of going to Eze and Monaco on our own from Villefranche (sp). We are docked 7am-7pm. Would you recommend Eze first and then Monaco or the other way around?

Also, how far away from Villefranche is St Tropez? Is it possible to visit it instead of Monaco/Eze?

It is about 80 miles (driving) from Villefrance to St Tropez (the train is about the same distance). As to going to Eze and Monte Carlo it really depends on a few factors. Getting from Villefranche to Monte Carlo is quite easy since both the bus line and trains serve both locations. But Eze Village is a bit more complicated since the train and bus (from Villefranche) only stop at Eze sur Mer which leaves you below the village and needing another bus or taxi to get up to the village. There are direct bus routes to Eze Village from both Monte Carlo and Nice. Another option for those that enjoy hiking would be to first go to Monte Carlo, than take the bus to Eze Village and later hike from Eze Village downhill to Eze sur Mer (perhaps an hour hike) where you can bet the bus or train back to the port. I would probably go to Monte Carlo first and than take the bus to Eze (you can check the bus schedule and plan your time in MC to coincide with the bus schedule). When you get to Eze (assuming you do not want to hike) you can check the posted bus schedule for the shuttle bus that goes from Eze Village down to the Eze sur Mer (it drops you right at the train station) and than plan your time in Eze so that you leave at the right time to catch the bus.

Hank

Thank you, Hank.

What time do shops/attractions in Eze close?

I have been to Monaco before so was thinking about going to St Tropez but 80 miles sounds like a 2 hour trip each way. Not sure if its worth it.

Eze is really hit and miss with the shop hours. Many of the small shops and galleries are run by their owners and some of them will close for lunch and others stay open all day. As to St Tropez, we do agree its not worth the long journey. There are several other places much closer that might be worth researching before your trip. If you haven't explored Nice, it really is a pretty nice town with a great old town area, the Promanade, plenty of shopping and a decent atmosphere. Nice is a large city and it

s easy to spend an entire day just exploring the shops, streets, and perhaps a museum.

Our favorite place in the region is St Paul de Vence which is a charming walled city with lots of artsy shops and galleries as well as its share of cafes and restaurants. We have visited St Paul de Vence about a dozen times and it is a place we try to revisit at least once a year. The big negative about St Paul de Vence is that it

s a bit difficult to access with public transportation (there is a bus from Nice). Antibes is another option which we sometimes recommend to travelers who have been to most of the more popular cities and are looking for a new place to explore. If you want to head towards Italy than the city of Menton has its share of charm although it is not generally a place visited by cruise ship passengers on a port stop. One place we do not generally recommend is the town of Grasse which has some fame for its so-called perfume factories. We have long felt that Grasse is overrated and best left to those spending a few days in the region looking for another place for a drive.

Have fun doing your research :)

Hank

• 5 weeks later...
Eze is really hit and miss with the shop hours. Many of the small shops and galleries are run by their owners and some of them will close for lunch and others stay open all day. As to St Tropez, we do agree its not worth the long journey. There are several other places much closer that might be worth researching before your trip. If you haven't explored Nice, it really is a pretty nice town with a great old town area, the Promanade, plenty of shopping and a decent atmosphere. Nice is a large city and it

s easy to spend an entire day just exploring the shops, streets, and perhaps a museum.

Our favorite place in the region is St Paul de Vence which is a charming walled city with lots of artsy shops and galleries as well as its share of cafes and restaurants. We have visited St Paul de Vence about a dozen times and it is a place we try to revisit at least once a year. The big negative about St Paul de Vence is that it

s a bit difficult to access with public transportation (there is a bus from Nice). Antibes is another option which we sometimes recommend to travelers who have been to most of the more popular cities and are looking for a new place to explore. If you want to head towards Italy than the city of Menton has its share of charm although it is not generally a place visited by cruise ship passengers on a port stop. One place we do not generally recommend is the town of Grasse which has some fame for its so-called perfume factories. We have long felt that Grasse is overrated and best left to those spending a few days in the region looking for another place for a drive.

Have fun doing your research :)

Hank

This is my first time to the South of France. We are gooing in June and thought about Nice, Eze and Monaco. Are will missing anything? What would be the great places that you recommend for a firster timer?

• 3 months later...

Hank saw your advice on this thread regarding the bus and train and I am going to do it in reverse from Cannes..take the train to Monaco then the bus to Eze and the train then back to Cannes..we are docked from from 10am to 8pm so I think we will have plenty of time and be back in Cannes in enough to quickly explore and then get back on the boat. Now my question for you is the train station far from the port in Cannes? And is there any need to pre-buy tickets online for the train or buses? I saw a site and am just wondering?

We can walk from the tender pier in Cannes to the train station in about 20 - 25 min. It is a relatively easy walk and you can route yourselves through some of the best parts of Cannes. It is also possible to get to the station by using a local bus (not sure of the bus number) but we did not notice a lot of buses early in the morning. We assume you have some personal reason for wanting to go to Monte Carlo (it is my wife's least favorite place in this part of France) and we hope you have a great day. The only bad thing about your port times is that you will miss the changing of the guard in Monte Carlo.

Hank

My mom has her heart set on Monaco and Monte Carlo...Grace Kelly and Prince Ranier romanticized this area I guess for us. But as I do more research I could bypass all the "touristy" spots in every port for the most part. I like the sound of the smaller villages and countryside. When I go back with my husband and kids one day that is how we will do it.

You most certainly want to visit the Palace so you can see where Grace Kelly really lived. Sometimes, they have tours of the public rooms inside the palace, but the ability to get inside depends on whether there are special events in the palace. The changing of the guard at the palace is at 11:55 and you might be able to make it if you get an early tender, hurry to the train station, and get a good connection. If you are in a hurry the best thing would be to take a taxi from the train station to the palace since a lot of the ride (or walk) to the palace is uphill.

Hank

Archived