Do you spend more on the ship if you paid a low price for your cruise?

caribbeanboy

My wife always spend more than I intended to, that was before I told her it was illegal for English women to spend money in the shops on board, she believed me for about 5 seconds.

Ya my ex-wife was fooled for about 2 seconds, then the cashier said, "Here are your things mam." She left me with the receipt :eek:

I do not spend alot of money on board. I do not drink or do the spa or gamble unless it is a roll of quarters for the slot. I might buy one or two pictures and mabe a t-shirt and all that is used by my obc. Forgot to add that we do one night at a specialty restraunt.

I do like to do excursions but usually book independent.

We do not spend the saved money. We too put it toward another cruise. I also feel that if I can upgrade to a better cabin for less than 100.00 I will, otherwise the upgrade price is getting pretty close to the price I could pay to cruise again!!!

• 5 years later...

It really depends on the itinerary. We tend to spend less in the Caribbean where we just go to relax and chill out than on more exotic locations, so I don't splurge more when I go there regardless of the price of the cruise.

I always go to the spa, have a few drinks, occasionally eat at specialty restaurants. Never gamble, never buy photos, and spend very little, if anything at the shops on board.

Now if it's a location where we take lots of shore excursions, then yes, the more I save the more I can spend.

A 6 year old thread brought back from the dead.

LOL - how did I miss that? Oh, well, it's late and I should go to bed.

Just realized what happened - was searching for comments about the Splendor and lost track of where I was.

Edited by mek

My onboard spending is not predicated by the cost of the cruise, rather the cabin type and specific cruise are predicated by my anticipated onboard spend. Anytime I'm looking at a particular sailing I add up all my usual suspects - drink package, gratuities and speciality dining (estimated at 1 for every three nights of cruise length). I add all that to the cost of the cabin and then we say can we, or can we not afford this trip? There is always some unbudgeted discretionary purchases/expenses onboard like gambling, shops, etc but that in no way impacts my cruise choices. I prefer balcony rooms and try to make those work financially, but I will skimp and go to an oceanview or inside if needs be.

I would say generally no. But on a Hawaii cruise one year we switched from our lovely designated cabin to a guarantee in the same category....and saved $900. It went back to our credit card, when price drops were allowed closer to sailing.

My husband at that point turned into "Mr. Generosity" :rolleyes::D And he was picking up dinner and drinks for all of our cruise friends, like we had all sorts of money. It didn't last long. As Mrs. Frugal, I was only slightly annoyed. :D

I don't think we have had a really good deal on a cruise for quite some time. And our spending seems to seem about the same. :D

Since my cruise is already paid for, what I budget for on board spending stays the same.Unfortunately, RCCL's recent pricing make it a moot point. I'm looking elsewhere for my next cruise.The last good price was for the Harmony for about a week. Now it's crazy.