Any advantages to booking your next cruise while on a cruise?

swdke

On previous cruises, I've noticed you can book your next cruise, assuming you know which cruise you desire, while on a cruise. I"ve never taken advantage of this, what are the perks or advantages in doing so? Thanks!

Guest sizzzlin sailor

A major advantage is that in doing this you can secure a booking for the very low deposit of $100 per person. Depending upon your future cruising plans and how far out they might be, this can represent a SUBSTANTIAL savings.

You can hang on to the document conveying the future cruise deposit for up to four years.

In almost all cases (maybe all?), booking a cruise while ON a cruise also conveys some on board credit, the amount depending upon the length of the future cruise and the room category you select.

The disadvantage is that it MAXIMIZES the wait time until your next cruise, always a problem for me! Haha!

Bottom line: DO IT!

Yes, I love being able to reserve a cruise for the 100 bucks. Easy to do. Just tell your TA you have a future cruise credit and bam, your cruise is reserved and no money need be paid until final payment. This is great booking cruises way out even if not completely sure you can pull it off. If you cancel you just put your money back to the future cruise credit category and do it again. If after 4 years you do not book a cruise, you get your money back, at least that is what they say, I have never gone the 4 years to find out:)

I have also heard, but have never done this, that if you and your wife/husband both have one and you are traveling in more then one cabin, you can book both putting one person in each cabin and holding both for the 100 dollars, plus an additional 100 for the other occupants.

So do it, I wish other lines did this as well.

John

I just buy the future cruise credit. It is quick, easy and you don't have to commit to a particular sailing. When I purchased my first FCC, the FCC consultant told us that the TA we used to book the cruise that we were on at the time has a large block of staterooms with Princess and I would probably get a better price and selection booking through her. If I happen to get an email or borchure with a good deal from Princess I book through Princess and then see If my TA can offer me a better deal. At the very least I can get a better catagory room for the same price Princess offers for a lower catagory.

The 2 reasons to have an FCC (future cruise credit) are:

1. the reduced deposit - one $100 FCC per person is the deposit regardless of what a non-FCC holder would have to pay

2. the OBC (on board credit) that you get depending on cabin type and length of the cruise - $25 to $250 per FCC

The FCCs are good for 4 years and are refundable. There's no disadvantages to buying an FCC. Every cruise we've taken since our very first one in 2002 has been deposited with FCCs and that's a lot of OBCs.

On previous cruises, I've noticed you can book your next cruise, assuming you know which cruise you desire, while on a cruise. I"ve never taken advantage of this, what are the perks or advantages in doing so? Thanks!

We have never booked an actual cruise while on a cruise, just purchased the FCC's.

Never have seen a great price while onboard.

So, do I understand this right, you do not have to pick out an actual cruise, you just have a deposit guaranteeing you can get a booking on a specific cruise in the future? And....you can still handle everything through your TA when you decide to cruise. Sounds good to me. We have never taken the time to do this. We will have to check it out when we cruise in February.

So, do I understand this right, you do not have to pick out an actual cruise, you just have a deposit guaranteeing you can get a booking on a specific cruise in the future? And....you can still handle everything through your TA when you decide to cruise. Sounds good to me. We have never taken the time to do this. We will have to check it out when we cruise in February.

That's correct.

You have the information correct! You can pick up a form at the cruise consultant's office door. She is usually busy, but you can pick up a form, fill in the information and deposit it in her incoming box. You will get a confirmation letter in your cabin mailbox in 1-2 days. We love making the $100 pp deposit. When we decide later on what cruise to take, we talk with our travel agent and she then takes care of the reservation.

We sail 1/29 and plan to leave another $100 deposit.

So, why are we buying 2 FCC's? And, paying $200? You only need to buy one and get the same amenities? We have always bought one each with the understanding that they are applied as a deposit on your next cruise. If you only buy one, does the other have to pay the full deposit amount? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You don't need to actually book a cruise.

I have also heard, but have never done this, that if you and your wife/husband both have one and you are traveling in more then one cabin, you can book both putting one person in each cabin and holding both for the 100 dollars, plus an additional 100 for the other occupants.

John

This is no longer true. It was probably because people abused it like you just posted.

So, why are we buying 2 FCC's? And, paying $200? You only need to buy one and get the same amenities? We have always bought one each with the understanding that they are applied as a deposit on your next cruise. If you only buy one, does the other have to pay the full deposit amount? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

This is no longer true. You must have a FCC for both passengers now.

You don't need to actually book a cruise.

This is no longer true. It was probably because people abused it like you just posted.

This was not an abuse. The FCC consultant told us to buy 2 FCC's on our last cruise May 2009 so that we would be able to book one child and one adult in 2 rooms. The children were not with us at the time so I was unabale to purchase FCC's for them. Which leads me to the question if they are minors 13 and 16 can they have circle accounts to save FCC's in? I also think that it is in the Cruise lines best interst to have passengers only use 1 FCC and $100 down for the second passenger. I have 2 FCC's and my wife has 1. If I only use 1 at a time than there is a better chance of me sailing with Princess 3 times rather than 2. Once I deplete my FCC's I may try another Cruise line.

This was not an abuse. The FCC consultant told us to buy 2 FCC's on our last cruise May 2009 so that we would be able to book one child and one adult in 2 rooms. The children were not with us at the time so I was unabale to purchase FCC's for them. Which leads me to the question if they are minors 13 and 16 can they have circle accounts to save FCC's in? I also think that it is in the Cruise lines best interst to have passengers only use 1 FCC and $100 down for the second passenger. I have 2 FCC's and my wife has 1. If I only use 1 at a time than there is a better chance of me sailing with Princess 3 times rather than 2. Once I deplete my FCC's I may try another Cruise line.

There were couples buying FCC and then going with another couple and having the boys in one cabin, girls in another using the 1 FCC and then when on board changing the cabins. That is the abuse I was talking about.

Archived