Can You Get Off a Cruise Early?

Av8tor

We're interested in the LAX-YVR 7 night cruise next spring on the Sapphire, but was wondering if Princess would allow us to leave the ship (end the cruise) in Victoria, rather than staying onboard for the last night and ending in Vancouver. Anyone have any experience with such requests???

Victoria is definitely set up for for customs and immigration at the cruise port. You need to give Princess advance notice so that they can inform immigration and provided it is legal Princess will make arrangements. You can leave it until you are onboard but that might severly peeve people since there is the government bureaucracy that Princess has to wade through.

Yes, you can get off in Victoria...we've done it. We arranged it before we left, with our TA. There were others that we met on the cruise who, when hearing that we were leaving in Victoria, tried to also leave....they were not allowed. I'm not sure if this is the norm but I wouldn't want to chance it myself.

Victoria is well-equipped to handle customs...they have many international visitors.

Because???:eek:

Because you can't just get off a cruise ship in a foreign country and expect to stay there! (That would be a terrorist's best scenario!)

Unlike arriving in an airport, (where you are properly processed to be in a particular country), a "port-of-call stop" typically does not allow cruise passengers to remain. With proper procedures in place however, it is possible.

Hi There,

On my last cruise large groups got off at our last few ports,

it was just cheaper for them to get flights home etc, from different ports.

It was odd going on tour and seeing lines of buses taking folk to the airport

yours Shogun

I have been on cruises where the reverse sometimes happens--that is passengers will board the ship after the original departure port. In this case it would be when the ship leaves Victoria heading south.

I don't know if it was because passengers simply missed the ship or if it was planned. Also, it is fairly common to see crew members join or leave ship at intermediate ports. This is especially true for entertainers who only perform for one night, then change to work another ship, etc.

There was a large group that got off in Victoria two weeks ago on Golden's last AK cruise because they lived there. You DO need advance permission, and....to avoid the problems this group had....settle your onboard account the day before making port. They had been wiped out of the computer before arrival and spent hours trying to get things taken care of. It does take advance notice to PCL.

From some reports - Victoria is often missed due to high winds..... You would have to have a plan B.

Oops, I should have mentioned that in my response especially as I have been left standing on the pier at Victoria with my bags packed and wife by my side waiting to embark and watching the ship sail by!:eek: I would hazard a guess that 1 in 10 visits are missed due to high winds

Because you can't just get off a cruise ship in a foreign country and expect to stay there! (That would be a terrorist's best scenario!)

If you're a terrorist, you're probably not concerned with the

morality of lying.

Just go to the pursers desk -- "My mother just died -- I need

to disembark at the next port, and fly home"

Do you think they're going to make you stay on board?

morality of lying.

No, but they would still have to arrange it with the port so you are properly processed. It's just easier to have it taken care of beforehand.

Of course the real question is, if you were a terrorist would you even tell anyone you were getting off at the next port :D

A year ago, we were on the Royal Princess Fall cruise and had had a very rough night 35ft seas with 45 to 60 knot winds - Not Fun! Thankfully we did not get sick, but most folks did. The scheduled show was canceled and the comic went on instead, holding on to a heavy chair the whole time.

The next day, just before we left port, the captain made an announcement, apologizing that we would be experiencing similar seas that night, and stated that the ship would be operating within safety parameters, a cruise passenger and his wife demanded to be let off the ship NOW. It was their first cruise. They had already pulled the gangway. After about 10 minutes, the gangway went out again and they got off. Luggage and all. Everyone was amazed the ship allowed them off, but I think the husband would have caused a seen and not settled down if they did not let him off & it was in the best interest of the ship to let them off. That night was no pick nick either.

morality of lying.

Do they have mothers?

Archived