Southwest New TV Ads No Longer Emphasize Price

SelectSys

Because people are gradually finding out that WN isn't automatically the cheapest alternative. So, they have to "justify" any higher pricing that the market may perceive.

However, their ads with the baggage handlers talking about their no-fee policy still plays to the cost saving theme.

Many companies change over-time. Many who don't become dinosaurs.

I remember the time when Toyota and Honda emphasized low cost cars.

Then over-time it was no longer cost but quality.

I was with a telecommunications company for most of my career that also emphasized being the lowest cost provider. In time, we shifted our strategy which emphasized other areas rather than cost.

This is a shift that Southwest has been making the past couple of years. They are competitive when it comes to fares but no longer has to be the lowest cost provider.

Instead they can market themselves in additional areas such as their flexibility with respect to booking flights and canceling flights, not charging many of those add on fees as others have done, which in the end can mean they are indeed cheaper when factoring in those additional costs.

Keith

Guest nhrich
WN's TV campaign for the football season demonstrates a new emphasis on service. I find it interesting that the airline that once sold on price has done a complete 180 and now stresses service first.

That shows you how much the service has dropped on the other airlines, when SW can brag about theirs (not that there's anything wrong with theirs, but it's always been no frills).

I must not watch the right shows. I don't remember ever seeing an ad for Southwest on televison.

Since Southwest is a major sponsor of the Boston Red Sox and the New England Patriots, there are multiple ads by Southwest Airlines on TV on a daily basis around this part of the country. Of course, having recently started service at Boston's Logan International Airport, that gave them additional opportunities to advertise on TV.

Archived