Luggage Tags Online?

bjkTX

As I said in my post way back, my Personalizer doesn't show luggage tags for my Nov. cruise so I called Princess. She told me "we are in transition with this". She looked at my personalizer and said they'd have to mail ours. Like I said and others have said, it's no biggie...Carnival has been having us print them for a couple of years now.

I do miss getting the docs in the mail and doing the doc dance down the driveway, but hey, printing boarding passes and luggage tags is convenient and if saving money on postage keeps the quality of other things on board, like food and service, I'm all for it.

... but hey, printing boarding passes and luggage tags is convenient and if saving money on postage keeps the quality of other things on board, like food and service, I'm all for it.

I know! People are saying that "it's just another way that Princess is cutting back". I'm all for them trying to save money! That postage must be a huge expense. For nothing! They are trying to keep the costs of the cruise lower but cutting expenses elsewhere. Princess isn't a non profit. They need to make their money by lowering costs or raising revenue. Take your pick.

I never thought of this. This is a good suggestion. I'll talk to DH about it and may end up doing it especially since I have a lot of packing tape left.

Yes, but then every airport baggage handler your bag touches knows that you'll be gone on a nice long cruise...it's a perfect opportunity to rob your home. It happens, more often than people want to believe. The baggage handlers can easily find out your address if you've (stupidly) put it in the luggage tag. Or, if you've put your address on the inside of the suitcase, they simply open it up and find out where you live. This is one reason using a work address is much safer.

They will start in January.

Not necessarily true. For our Dec. 6 Hawaiian cruise I had to print out the luggage tags. At least they are on the cruise personalizer so assumed they were there to be printed. I have some old plastic report folders so I cut one up and made some nice little pouches for the printed tags. Attached an old luggage tag rubber twistie and we are good to go! :p Maybe I will also get them in the mail.

Seriously... no need to fret. No need for color printing, card stock or laminating either.

Just print out on regular paper, cut tags individually with scissors.

Then cut 8"-10"" sections of packing tape and lay flat on counter.

Lay each tag on each sticky side of tape.

Affix tape to luggage handle in same manner as before (center it on the handle and bring sides together).

Done!

Excellent idea Julia!! I will try that and see how it goes. It will take more than 2 hands though to keep the tape from sticking to itself before you are ready to put it on the bags..

Yes, but then every airport baggage handler your bag touches knows that you'll be gone on a nice long cruise...it's a perfect opportunity to rob your home. It happens, more often than people want to believe. The baggage handlers can easily find out your address if you've (stupidly) put it in the luggage tag. Or, if you've put your address on the inside of the suitcase, they simply open it up and find out where you live. This is one reason using a work address is much safer.

I remembered after I had posted that airlines don't like extra tags on the bags when you check them in. They prefer just their own and your tag that identifies the fact that it's your bag (that's what they tell me when I travel, which is rare). I also remember (after I posted, naturally) that, like you said, the baggage handlers will know you are on a cruise. Fortunately, I don't have any home addresses on or in any of our luggage. I only have our itinerary in the front pocket and a tag that has our name, a cell phone number and a note to see the itinerary in the front pocket.

That's great, Janet, to have your cell phone number and just your name. I didn't even know the baggage handlers don't want extra tags on your luggage, but it makes sense.

It really is best to wait until you pick up your bags at baggage claim to put your luggage tags on. Bringing along a roll of packing tape or a stapler could be an inconvenience. I think we'll have our tags laminated, punch a hole and put zip ties on them so we can easily attach them when we're in Rome on our pre-cruise stay. I think we're getting the regular tags for our Dec. cruise.

Hi!

I just bought a mini stapler with 1000 staples for under $4.00 at Staples along with a roll of clear packing tape. These supplies should last for more cruises than I probably will ever get to go on!!! I have already used the tape on my tags that I printed out for our cruise December 5th, and I will take the mini stapler in my carry-on. It can staple through 10 sheets of paper and weighs only a couple of ounces. This is really NO BIG DEAL!!!

I can hardly believe how upset people are getting over this issue. Princess is a wonderful cruise line (we've cruised 18 times with them), and we have loved every cruise. All cruiselines are trying to save money, and if this measure keeps them from cutting something else, I'm all for it. Just enjoy your cruise, AND DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!!!

Reggie

I agree. But I'm not sure their luggage tags are any better. On our cruise last month we went to claim our two bags at the dock after the cruise. One bag was totally ruined - and the other was missing. After waiting about a half hour they showed up with a cart with about 15 bags on it that they said the tags had come off of - ours was one of them. It didn't even make it from the room to the loading dock :-)

The embarkation tags have sticky glue on the back and will not normally come apart.

The disembarkation taks have no glue. Just slide on...and off too easily.

As I said in my post way back, my Personalizer doesn't show luggage tags for my Nov. cruise so I called Princess. She told me "we are in transition with this". She looked at my personalizer and said they'd have to mail ours. Like I said and others have said, it's no biggie...Carnival has been having us print them for a couple of years now.

I do miss getting the docs in the mail and doing the doc dance down the driveway, but hey, printing boarding passes and luggage tags is convenient and if saving money on postage keeps the quality of other things on board, like food and service, I'm all for it.

They are still sending docs in the mail honey,just no luggage tags!!:rolleyes:

I know! People are saying that "it's just another way that Princess is cutting back". I'm all for them trying to save money! That postage must be a huge expense. For nothing! They are trying to keep the costs of the cruise lower but cutting expenses elsewhere. Princess isn't a non profit. They need to make their money by lowering costs or raising revenue. Take your pick.

Postage shall continue to be a huge expense.They are going to discontinue the luggage tags....WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT NOT MAILING DOCS?They will continue to mail docs as always!

Huh? They don't mail docs. :confused: They haven't for a long time. Are you talking about the pre-cruise packet? That information can be found online. Expect that to be phased out from being mailed too. It's just a matter of time.

Our Dec. 20th cruise doesn't have the printable luggage tags, but our 2010 cruise does.

Postage shall continue to be a huge expense.They are going to discontinue the luggage tags....WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT NOT MAILING DOCS?They will continue to mail docs as always!

But I, for one (and I know many others who agree with me), hope they will eventually give those of us who want it the option of NOT having any doc's sent via snail mail because, as others have noted, everything I need for a cruise I can download from Princess.com. More and more companies are offering such options, and more and more people are taking advantage of it. If enough of us did, it certainly could make at least a little dent in postage costs.

Oh, and for the record, I'm another who sees the option for downloading and printing my boarding pass and luggage tags for the cruises we have booked after January 1, 2010.

But I, for one (and I know many others who agree with me), hope they will eventually give those of us who want it the option of NOT having any doc's sent via snail mail because, as others have noted, everything I need for a cruise I can download from Princess.com. More and more companies are offering such options, and more and more people are taking advantage of it. If enough of us did, it certainly could make at least a little dent in postage costs.

Oh, and for the record, I'm another who sees the option for downloading and printing my boarding pass and luggage tags for the cruises we have booked after January 1, 2010.

Other than the luggage tags there hasn't been anything in the "docs" package that was worth the postage anyway. The blue book of coupon like sheets that aren't used for anything?

. . . Our Dec. 20th cruise doesn't have the printable luggage tags, but our 2010 cruise does.

Same with our Xmas/New Year's Cruise on Dec. 21st. Can't print luggage tags, but on our June 2010 cruise you can.

Minette

Well, I think we've found the exact divide between mailed/printable luggage tags: those for my December 22 cruise are printable.

Sorry, but I do not agree that getting acceptable luggage tags that do not fall off the bags should be an arts and crafts project which requires the passenger to make a special excursion to one or more stores and special purchases in order to construct a sturdy tag.

Sorry, but I do not agree that getting acceptable luggage tags that do not fall off the bags should be an arts and crafts project which requires the passenger to make a special excursion to one or more stores and special purchases in order to construct a sturdy tag.

I understand and, as I said above, I personally do not think people should be forced to print their own luggage tags at home, and somehow I cannot imagine Princess doing this. There are simply too many people out there still who either don't have home computers or printers or, like you, would not want to do it this way. But, I would like the option.

This does raise a question for those Carnival passengers who have posted in this thread: how does Carnival do it? I wasn't clear from some of the posts above whether Carnival simply gives the option to print your own luggage tags, or if that's the only way it can be done. I would assume the former, but having never cruised with Carnival I don't have first hand knowledge.

Archived