Train from Venice to Rome

mattie00

We are disembarking our cruise on June 19th, 2010 and will be taking the train to Rome. We don't want to reserve as we are not completely sure of disembarkation and don't want to have to stress about getting to the train station. How easy/difficult is it to just arrive at the station and purchase a one-way ticket? Also, will we be able to keep our luggage with us at our seats? Thanks.

It is very easy to get a ticket at the station. Keeping luggage at your seat s generally not a problem (especially since your train will be originating there.) First class will give you more space for luggage (larger space behind the back-to-back seats.)

As stated above, it is seldom a problem. Every once in awhile a train will sell out -- or there will not be two seats together or 2nd class will sell out. This is rare and if it does happen to you the chances of the next train to Rome being sold out is VERY low.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi... Can you tell me if it is possible to do a "day trip" to Rome from Venice? How long is the train ride? Would there be enough time to go and take in some sites and then return to Venice? What other day trips from Venice can you take? Any ideas on the cost of train tickets?

Hi... Can you tell me if it is possible to do a "day trip" to Rome from Venice? How long is the train ride? Would there be enough time to go and take in some sites and then return to Venice? What other day trips from Venice can you take? Any ideas on the cost of train tickets?

It's possible, but ridiculous. Venice is about 350 miles from Rome; it's a four and a half hour train ride each way and the cost is about 62 Euro in second class or 89 Euro in first.

Verona is a reasonable day trip from Venice, but that assumes you've exhausted the possibilites of Venice and the islands, which would take weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The trains in Italy are great! You can only buy one way tix as they sell point to point and round trip doesn't make it a different price.

Keeping your luggage by your seat will depend on how much luggage you have!! There are overhead racks but lifting very heavy bags is a pain!! There is also space behind/under your seat . My 22inch rolling bag fit fine but don't think a much larger bag will fit. There is a separate luggage rack near the door that will be fine too. Just watch it at the stations. You will have to be able to carry your bags yourself onto and off of the train so make sure you can do that. I only use 2nd class as there's not much difference from first class!

We just got back from Med cruise. We stayed 3 nights in Venice and then took the train to Florence for 3 nights then train back to Mestre for Marco Polo Airport. The trains that we took either were going to Rome or coming from Rome.

Using the trains was very easy including using the kiosks to buy the tix. I do not recommend 1st class. There really is no advantage, even for your luggage, to justify the cost. We booked 2nd class and were very comfortable. We put our big pieces of luggage in the racks at the end of car and smaller bags in the overhead. The main thing is hefting the luggage up 3 - 4 feet from the platform to the car floor.

Also to get from Piazzale Roma to the train station you have to go over the bridge. The bridge is essentially stairs. You cannot just roll your luggage up and over. Then there are the stairs up to the train station. There is a ramp on the far, far side of the station. So plan accordingly. Italy was not roller luggage friendly. I would hate to be handicapped.

It's also very inexpensive to fly from Venice to Rome.

It works out to be about the same both time and cost-wise.

Train = 73 Euro (approx. $105) , 3 hours and 45 minutes.

Plane = $100 (using the above example, a rate which may or may not be available when you need to fly), 4 hours (30 minutes to the airport, 90 minutes prior to flight, 60 minute flight, 15 minutes deplane and exit airport, 45 minutes to town)

In December, we're flying roundtrip to Venice for under €55 each. That includes all junk fees, taxes, luggage fees, and credit card fees.... so, as suggested above, if you book in advance you can save substantially on the planes versus the trains - even when you add in the travel to/from airports ... But the trick to Budget Airlines in Europe is to book ahead - and make sure you do not have a TON of luggage! We are flying Easyjet from FCO to VCE and back, which is very convenient for us.

This link may help you gain more insight into using the Budget Airlines here:

Budget Airlines in Europe

That is a great rate!

The OP was specifically asking about an option that didn't require advance ticketing, but later posters looking for an inexpensive way to go back and forth can see that there are options beyond train.

I face similar decisions regarding train vs. plane here on the east coast of the US. I travel fairly frequently between New York and Boston or New York and Washington, and often plane fares are low enough that they rival Amtrak. When my starting point is the city (and especially when both the starting and ending points are in the cities), the train is always more convenient; fewer lines and security issues and it's faster and cheaper to get back and forth to the train stations than the airports. If I'm starting or ending (or both) in the suburbs the decision is less clear.

The luggage issue that Ron brings up is a pain in either case. You are charged for it on the plane (and have to lug it longer distances to get to the airport and at the arrival airport), but it's no picnic getting large amounts of stuff on and off trains, either. At least at the airport you hand it off and don't deal with it again until the other end.

Euro Cruiser.... those rates I speak of are from FCO-VCE. We live closer to FCO so it's more convenient for us. With the SITBus Shuttle, or the FR1 train, we get to FCO more easily than CIA. We also prefer to fly into Marco Polo (VCE) rather than Treviso... we just find it easier. We've done both.

So the Easyjet rates above were booked about 3 months in advance. They actually had lower rates for other days but we could not fit that schedule. Ciao!

Archived