Spring Break dates for 2010 - Please post your dates.

mrstay

What a great thread. It looks like everyone will be back in school when we cruise at the end of April. I'm so relieved. I really don't enjoy cruising with a ship full of kids.

I hear ya! Back in about 1987, a group of about 30 of us teachers (spouses, SOs, no kids) started cruising during Spring Break (in our district, it was always the last week of March). There were very few kids, the weather was great, and there just weren't any "kid" issues. We did this for years. We paid a bundle back then! Fast forward to about 2000. Cruising became cheaper..more ships and more competition. More families with young kids. By about 2003, I took my LAST Spring Break cruise. Hoards of HS and college kids. Most were fine, but a significant number made cruise life miserable for many of us. Never again. I like to cruise late Jan to mid-Feb, last week of April - first week of May, mid-Sept, mid-Nov, mid Dec. Don't cruise in October because a lot of school districts have "Fall Break". Way back then, there were very few Home Schooled students, so it really wasn't an issue. It's the Good, Bad, and Ugly of current cruising: more-than-ever ships, huge amenity competition, lower prices, and kids out of school anytime some parents desire it. I like small ships, traditional dining, and a non-party crowd. I find myself cruising less these days, but I really like HAL. Call me old-fashioned. I am.

What a great thread. It looks like everyone will be back in school when we cruise at the end of April. I'm so relieved. I really don't enjoy cruising with a ship full of kids.

If you are cruising the last week of April, you should be fine. If you are cruising the week on April 19-23, that is spring break for MA schools. We also have a winter break week off February 15-19.

Orange County Florida public schools (Orlando area) Spring Break --kids off from March 26-April 2, return on April 5th. I think Seminole County FL (Sanford area) has the same schedule this year.

Most all of the province of QC is off from Feb. 27th till March 7th for elementary, high-school and CEGEP (jr colleges). Universities are off the week before.

Was hoping to book a cruise but couldn't find air without paying full Y class. Booked land vacation instead.:eek:

Make it simple for yourself...if you don't want to travel when kids are out of school then stay away from any dates Feb-April.

I was going to post the same thing. I've taught and lived in various locations throughout North America. From President's Day in the second week of February through Patriot's week in the 3rd week of April, school districts somewhere will be off.

The least busy times will be last 2 weeks of September, first 2 weeks of December, January and May.

Here is a link to a site that has many of the college Spring Break dates.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

----------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

Make it simple for yourself...if you don't want to travel when kids are out of school then stay away from any dates Feb-April.

With this being my 9th cruise and being the Queen of Bargain traveling I know that I am traveling more in a "peak" season. RCCL only increased the rates for one week, March 14-21. I do not have a choice of the week I am travelling since it happens to be the week of my parents anniversary and they set the date. All I was wanting to do was get a feel for the number of schools out. I see there will be a large number of schools out that week, so I will plan accordingly. Since the Voyager is only here 4 months out of the year it is hard to avoid at least a holiday or a school outage.

Each year someone starts a thread about when the spring breaks are - so I thought this year, why no me.

New Hampshire Public schools has the last week of February 20 - 28 and April 24 to May 2.

MA is usually a week earlier; Feb. 13 to 21 and April 17 to 24 but that would need to be confirmed as some schools are changing their schedules.

Bon Voyage

Archived