Is it worth it?

Hi everybody! I'm wanting some feedback on cruising on RCCL. I have only cruised, Carnival, NCL and Dolphin cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise.

I really want to cruise on one of RCCL's big ships. But is it worth the extra cost? I like the fact that they offer things like rock climbing, ice skating and surfing but I probably wouldn't use them very much. I might try them but my wife wouldn't, so is it worth the extra money?

We love having fun so I really don't know. I'm putting together a family reunion cruise for 9/2011. Based on 2010 prices I can cruise the eastern Caribbean for a lot less on the new Carnival Dream than I can on any Royal Caribbean ship on the same itinerary.

So, I ask, is it worth the extra money? Food, entertainment, cabin services, cabin size, night life and fun? :eek:

Which RC ship were you looking to book? I know many are excited about Oasis and Allure but their prices are still high. Also don't forget about price drops and booking incentives. For example the recent WOW sale which offered on board credit. Now I know that price drops aren't a sure thing, but they are possible! I guess it comes to down to this - If you can afford to try RCI and are willing to do so with an open mind, then go for it! After all, it IS a cruise vacation! Personally, I love the RCI product.

Hi everybody! I'm wanting some feedback on cruising on RCCL. I have only cruised, Carnival, NCL and Dolphin cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise.

I really want to cruise on one of RCCL's big ships. But is it worth the extra cost? I like the fact that they offer things like rock climbing, ice skating and surfing but I probably wouldn't use them very much. I might try them but my wife wouldn't, so is it worth the extra money?

We love having fun so I really don't know. I'm putting together a family reunion cruise for 9/2011. Based on 2010 prices I can cruise the eastern Caribbean for a lot less on the new Carnival Dream than I can on any Royal Caribbean ship on the same itinerary.

So, I ask, is it worth the extra money? Food, entertainment, cabin services, cabin size, night life and fun? :eek:

Its funny that you ask, because my family talks about this same question in reverse. We have only sailed Royal Caribbean and have always feared not enjoying another brand. I think we are both going to have to take the plunge eventually.:rolleyes:

We never use any of the "glitzy" stuff, like the rock wall, skating, flo-rider....but we do enjoy the ambiance of the ships...

Is it worth the cost? That's up to you, your timing, your budget, choice of itinerary...

Only you know the answer to that question! Most of the smaller, cheaper ships only do short cruises...and that just doesn't suit us....a short cruise is NOT the same as a week or longer trip!

We just love to cruise. We are looking to cruise from Port Canaveral but not necessarily from there. My kids live in Tampa so thats the closest not including Tampa where RCL only does short cruises. The kids would probably love the extras but are we, "the older ones" going to be disappointed by the food or other things that I have read that they have have cut back on?:confused:

We have sailed on HAL, RCCL, NCL, and Princess. We prefer RCCL. There are special features on all the ships we have been on,and we have NEVER had a bad cruise, but we always go back to RC.We enjoy the large ships. We are in our 50's, and we don't use the rock climbing wall, or many other things they offer, but we LOVE the Royal Promanade!!! We have always been satisfied with the service, the food, and the staff. In January our grandson became ill and we had to take him to the ship doctor. Surprisingly enough, we were totally impressed by the attention and care he received on Independence. We like to cruise on the new ships. We are taking our daughter and her family on their first ever cruise. We are going on Oasis. We want to spoil them on their first time out!!! I don't think you will be disappointed with RCCL.

We've sailed on Carnival, NCL, and Celebrity but are Diamond level RCI with twenty cruises on that line. I definitely do feel the price is "worth" it. If you avoid Oasis for about a year and try such ships as the Freedom Class ships and the Voyager Class ships, I do not think you will be disappointed. I particularly like Independence of the Seas.

Anyway, you mentioned you wouldn't be skating, but did you know that the skating shows are fabulous? You don't skate, the pros do. They have wonderful costumes. A typical seven-night cruise will have about four skating shows...all the same one, just different times and days. Hubby and I often see the same show more than once.

Also, the Freedom Class and Voyager Class ships have a couple of different parades on seven-night cruises. Those are fun and high spirited.

After 10 cruises - 4 with RCL, 4 with Carnival, and 2 with HAL - I have decided that they all have a good product. However, it depends on the ship and what you are looking for on that particular cruise. I would never set foot on the Carnival Pride again but absolutly loved the Carnival Spirt. Will only sail HAL when I want a very mellow cruise with excellent service and classic sorroundings. RCL has consistantly provided the best of both Carnival and HAL - good service, nice sorroundings, fun time, yet the space to mellow out. Then there is the WOW factor of the Promonade and ice skating shows. Now if RCL would have chocolate melting cake, allow wine to be brought on board, pillow chocolates, and most importantly - water slides, they would be the perfect line.

Thanks people, my wife and I are definitely going to cruise on RCL. I was trying to put together a family reunion cruise for September or October 2011 and I was looking at the itinerary out of Port Canaveral to the Eastern Caribbean. Carnival Dream stops in Nassua the Freedom stops in CocoCay which I like better. The rest of the itinerary is the same but it would cost to much for my daughter. The inside available cabin on RCL would cost her $2575.96 and on the Dream it would be $1731.24 plus it's about 30 square feet bigger. For my wife and I it's not a whole lot more, about $170.00 pp. There's just two of us and we would get a balcony regardless of which ship.

I don't know what the rest of the family would want to do. I'm sure my 2 sons would love the RCL ship because of the rock climbing and surfing and my grand daughters love to ice skate. I'm not sure if they'd go for the higher cost though. The third and forth person cost on Freedom is almost as much as the first and second on the Dream. All the prices are based on 2010 prices because neither of them go out that far yet.

Oh well, I guess I'm probably going to have to experience RCL when just my wife and I are going. :(

Our first family cruise was on Disney Magic, that is where we got the "cruise bug". If it were not so pricey we would still be there.

Friends of ours told us to try RCI.

We are glad we did.

The only thing extra we pay for is the soda card, and the excursions we want.

We are sold on RCI, food, entertainment, and such, looking forward to our Freedom of the Seas in July.

Later

Only YOU can determine if it is worth it. Are you going to take advantage of what is being offered on RCI ship. If not and all you want to do is on CCL then stick with them. They are tops in food unlike RCI. If you want an adult only swim area( I think Dream has that), a rock climbing, in line skating, ice skating with a GREAT ICE SHOW, and flow rider( on freedom class) then you should book that. We did LOS and LOVED it. Our kids at the time were 11 and 12 and they did Flow rider once and had enough. It was DH and I that spent the entire free time on that ship on line doing the flow rider. I did the rock climbing a few times so I do not do that anymore. I left CCL about 10 cruises ago and have never missed them. I do not like their ships. I want to walk around and see pretty things. RCI is nicer than CCL for that. But if none of that matters and you are happy with CCL , Dream looks nice..save the money and spend it having fun. Then take a less expensive RCI without the entire family.

It looks like you cruise regularly. My advice would be to go with what you know (Carnival) for the reunion cruise, and then at some point try RCI with just the two of you.

I sailed Freedom two years ago and am going on Liberty in January. Don't factor in that you may not try all the activities. The Flowrider, climbing wall and so many other things make great spectator sports. Really entertaining.

Our first family cruise was on Disney Magic, that is where we got the "cruise bug". If it were not so pricey we would still be there.

Friends of ours told us to try RCI.

We are glad we did.

The only thing extra we pay for is the soda card, and the excursions we want.

We are sold on RCI, food, entertainment, and such, looking forward to our Freedom of the Seas in July.

Later

And no butter pats shaped like mouse ears.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived