Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I work for DFA (Dairy Farmers of America) corporate office as their Receptionist. There has been a LOT of talk, but it was confirmed yesterday in the newspaper, and on the local news. Our company will be building, and will be moving from Missouri to Kansas in the next two years. So that will definately determine if I will continue to work, or retire. I'm "sure" I will retire, if not sooner. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, its been awhile, finally getting some breathing room with having to basically rebuild our home computer set up and updating new phones.

Lady Hudson, have a great cruise!

So far so good, almost 5 weeks now. Rec'd our first retirement checks yesterday for the days in January and all of February. I'm liking this somebody sending me $$ for doing nothing, well, not working anyways! WooHoo!!

Hi all, its been awhile, finally getting some breathing room with having to basically rebuild our home computer set up and updating new phones.

Lady Hudson, have a great cruise!

So far so good, almost 5 weeks now. Rec'd our first retirement checks yesterday for the days in January and all of February. I'm liking this somebody sending me $$ for doing nothing, well, not working anyways! WooHoo!!

Hi! Hi! Very happy you are getting your big checks. Someone screwed up either at school board or retirement center and I won't get my March check because of it. Won't get it til April because of someone's screw up. So from what I understand I will get March and Aprils in April....go figure. The good thing is I really don't need it right now and the other good thing is it didn't even upset me. I don't think anything has much bothered me since I retired. Even my blood pressure went down 10 points...lol

Ok...do you have a cruise planned???

Deb

Hi! Hi! Very happy you are getting your big checks. Someone screwed up either at school board or retirement center and I won't get my March check because of it. Won't get it til April because of someone's screw up. So from what I understand I will get March and Aprils in April....go figure. The good thing is I really don't need it right now and the other good thing is it didn't even upset me. I don't think anything has much bothered me since I retired. Even my blood pressure went down 10 points...lol

Deb

Have fun. We have to wait for our cruise on March 29th. We are going on the Quantum.

Deb

Interesting you are having issues with your benefits office. We have had a few hiccups too, but nothing like what you describe. Hope they get it right for you soon.

One cruise on tap, a 14-nite reposition on RCI Serenade this October. It leaves Quebec and goes along the Eastern Seaboard, 9 ports along the way:eek: Cruising with a bunch of folks we met on a TA back in 2011. Really looking forward to it.

Enjoy your cruise too! Where y'all going?

Interesting you are having issues with your benefits office. We have had a few hiccups too, but nothing like what you describe. Hope they get it right for you soon.

One cruise on tap, a 14-nite reposition on RCI Serenade this October. It leaves Quebec and goes along the Eastern Seaboard, 9 ports along the way:eek: Cruising with a bunch of folks we met on a TA back in 2011. Really looking forward to it.

Enjoy your cruise too! Where y'all going?

Funny...14 day repo cruise in October as well. First repo! Starts in Boston and goes to Caracus, Bonaire, Aruba, San Juan which are places I haven't been to yet. 3 other islands I have already been to. Stops in New Orleans where is close to where I live.

Quebec is a beautiful city. Try and go a day early just to see it.

Deb

Also leaving on one Friday to see St. Kitts, Antigua, Dominque, and Martinique. Those I have never seen either. One other stop is St. Thomas which I really love. It is a 10 day cruise. (Slowly going places on my bucket list, but it isn't quite empty yet...lol)

Deb

I believe the last time I posted on here, said I was either about to be, or just turned 72, and still working for a large corporate office, which I really like.:)

I believe I mentioned that our company was either to move or build within the next couple years, and we just found out that they have started building in Kansas, and I live in Missouri.:rolleyes:

To make the long story short, it was time for my yearly review (turned out good, with a nice raise :)) with my supervisor. We were talking, and I could tell she was NOT trying to push me out the door, but was asking me what I thought about our moving to Kansas? I told her I thought it was good for some, others, it wouldn't be, and that I will be "RETIRING" when it gets closer to moving time. So thus, I WILL be retiring within the next 2 years, or less. I'll probably go crazy at home, but that's another story. I'm just not a home body, but maybe after retiring, I'll be doing a LOT of vacation/crusing.:)

I'll be cruising to the Caribbean in April. YEH!

I believe the last time I posted on here, said I was either about to be, or just turned 72, and still working for a large corporate office, which I really like.:)

I believe I mentioned that our company was either to move or build within the next couple years, and we just found out that they have started building in Kansas, and I live in Missouri.:rolleyes:

To make the long story short, it was time for my yearly review (turned out good, with a nice raise :)) with my supervisor. We were talking, and I could tell she was NOT trying to push me out the door, but was asking me what I thought about our moving to Kansas? I told her I thought it was good for some, others, it wouldn't be, and that I will be "RETIRING" when it gets closer to moving time. So thus, I WILL be retiring within the next 2 years, or less. I'll probably go crazy at home, but that's another story. I'm just not a home body, but maybe after retiring, I'll be doing a LOT of vacation/crusing.:)

Well, I retired 2 months ago and I would not go back if they doubled my salary. When you retire you need to find something you love to do. I can't tell you what it is, but after I go through all my closets and stuff I have been putting off, I will be doing a lot of art work, pastels, and painting. I already set up a nice area in an extra room for my paintings. Not t h at I'm good at it I just enjoy it. So find that something you would like to do and go for it. I have friends that have retired. One is plying tennis a lot, another one is into dancing. Besides painting I have continued to cruise. Leaving Friday on a ten day cruise. Extremely excited about that!! You will be fine...just find something you would enjoy and you will love the freedom that comes with retirement!! I hope this helps!!

Deb

Thanks Shirley!! Will you be out of school then??

Deb

Actually I am taking 3 personal days ( I have 37 sick days that I will probably never use.) because we are off Thursday and Friday and the week after Easter. At first we were thinking about going to Europe in the summer but that got to be too expensive. Then we signed up for April 5th on the Quantum. Then we noticed that the week before was cheaper (we got a balcony for the same price as an inside). We are allow 3 personal days and that is how I am using them. We have meet some people online from Australia going on this cruise. They are coming to DC after the cruise so I am going to show them around because I will be off that week. It should be fun.

Enjoy your cruise. You are going to Martinque which is on our list of the Komo song ( we need to visit 3 more places).

Edited by read52

Right now I am thinking 4 more years but that may change. In 3 years, our house will be paid off and I will be 66 so if I work another year after that I can collect social security and my regular check and no house payment. That way I can pay off some bills and bank some money. We have to replace our furnace and air conditioning soon and that is a bit of money plus I want to redo my kitchen (it is about 25 years old and the cabinets are falling apart) before I retire. So it is Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work I go.

I retired December 2013 with a special retirement offer I could not pass up.....our plan was this month....we are doing a B2B in April to celebrate and 4 days after we return DH will officially retire.....

Agree with others.....I volunteer, have stayed involved with a professional organization....found some Meet-Up groups......and have used the time to reconnect with family and friends.....time is a wonderful gift!!!

Marianne