Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Happy Hump Day y'all, retirement is great so far. Just a bit over 2 months now, not missing work at all. So much to do, so many projects, travels, etc.

Hi...Happy Humpday!!!! Been awhile since i wrote that one. I feel exactly like you! It is great!! Just got back from a 10 day cruise! Life is good!:)

Deb

Hi...Happy Humpday!!!! Been awhile since i wrote that one. I feel exactly like you! It is great!! Just got back from a 10 day cruise! Life is good!:)

Deb

Hope you had a great cruise, where did you go?

We are starting to make some plans for our Serenade cruise in Oct, its a repositioning from Quebec to Ft Lauderdale, 14 nite with 10 stops. There are a ton of people on this one that we have cruised with before, so between all of the social stuff plus the itinerary, we're gonna have to rest up for this one :eek:

Weather has cooled here a bit, but its not stopping us from getting the RV de-winterized. Hopefully we can get the 1st trip out in the next couple of weeks, we usually stay close so we can make sure the rig is up to snuff and everything we need is onboard. Land cruising, the next best thing to real cruising ;)

Hope you had a great cruise, where did you go?

We are starting to make some plans for our Serenade cruise in Oct, its a repositioning from Quebec to Ft Lauderdale, 14 nite with 10 stops. There are a ton of people on this one that we have cruised with before, so between all of the social stuff plus the itinerary, we're gonna have to rest up for this one :eek:

Weather has cooled here a bit, but its not stopping us from getting the RV de-winterized. Hopefully we can get the 1st trip out in the next couple of weeks, we usually stay close so we can make sure the rig is up to snuff and everything we need is onboard. Land cruising, the next best thing to real cruising ;)

We went out of Miami to st. Thomas, st. Kitts, Dominque, Martinique, and Antigua. First time to all of them except St. Thomas. It was great seeing all the new islands and taking a cruise longer than 7 days...lol. I have a 14 repo cruise in October too. It leaves from Boston and we end up in New Orleans. Maybe we will criss cross somewhere in the Atlantic. We will be cruising 3 days to get to first stop in San Juan. I think we have about 7 stops. We are going down to the ABC islands then up the Western Carribean. I live close to New Orleans so someone will pick me up. I'm hoping mine will be relaxing..lol.:)

Deb

Just checking in. Loving retirement. Why didn't I do this sooner??

Just back from a 28 day cruise. Had lots of fun. DH joined me for the last 10 days. Still can't believe I don't miss working:)

I don't miss it either. AT ALL!!!!!! I am also enjoying getting a a check without working!!!!!! YAY RETIREMENT!!!

Can you tell me where you went?? Sounds like after my fourteen day cruise a 28 day would be even better...,lol:)

We went out of Miami to st. Thomas, st. Kitts, Dominque, Martinique, and Antigua. First time to all of them except St. Thomas. It was great seeing all the new islands and taking a cruise longer than 7 days...lol. I have a 14 repo cruise in October too. It leaves from Boston and we end up in New Orleans. Maybe we will criss cross somewhere in the Atlantic. We will be cruising 3 days to get to first stop in San Juan. I think we have about 7 stops. We are going down to the ABC islands then up the Western Carribean. I live close to New Orleans so someone will pick me up. I'm hoping mine will be relaxing..lol.:)

Deb

I'm hoping we can do a eastern and/or southern caribbean some day. We have done Western and a Bahamas/CocoCay one, been there done that.

Our itinerary for the 14 nite Oct leaves Quebec on the 20th (board on the 19th), primarily focuses on the North Atlantic around Prince Edward and Nova Scotia, then a couple stops up near Boston way, then Charleston SC on Oct 31, ending up in Ft Lauderdale on Nov 2.

I'm hoping we can do a eastern and/or southern caribbean some day. We have done Western and a Bahamas/CocoCay one, been there done that.

Our itinerary for the 14 nite Oct leaves Quebec on the 20th (board on the 19th), primarily focuses on the North Atlantic around Prince Edward and Nova Scotia, then a couple stops up near Boston way, then Charleston SC on Oct 31, ending up in Ft Lauderdale on Nov 2.

It will be close. We leave Boston on the 30th!! Is that the Serenade of the Seas? I will wave if I see it....lol. I'll be on the NCL Dawn.:)

Deb

Edited by zlacruising

I don't miss it either. AT ALL!!!!!! I am also enjoying getting a a check without working!!!!!! YAY RETIREMENT!!!

Can you tell me where you went?? Sounds like after my fourteen day cruise a 28 day would be even better...,lol:)

I was on Grandeur and did 3 consecutive cruises. The ship went the the Eastern Caribbean, Bahamas and Coco Cay, and then the Western Caribbean. Great fun.

I was on Grandeur and did 3 consecutive cruises. The ship went the the Eastern Caribbean, Bahamas and Coco Cay, and then the Western Caribbean. Great fun.

I might have to look into that. I have noticed more ships changing schedules every other week. Thanks!!

Deb

It will be close. We leave Boston on the 30th!! Is that the Serenade of the Seas? I will wave if I see it....lol. I'll be on the NCL Dawn.:)

Deb

Yes mam, you are correct, RC's Serenade OTS. You can see in my sig below its called a Snowbird Migration.....hmmm, never thought of myself as a snowbird, but I guess we could end up easing into that lifestyle now that we are retired. We sailed Serenade last April, hadn't planned to sail again on the same ship so soon but as I noted earlier, we are sailing with a bunch of folks we cruised with on the Liberty OTS transatlantic in Oct 2011. The roll call is quite ambitious, we are on a 2nd thread on the main board, with another thread in the floataway lounge for "non-cruise" conversation.

My mom just got off the Dawn a couple weeks ago, a 7 nite to Coz, Roatan and Belize. She enjoyed it a lot.

Yes mam, you are correct, RC's Serenade OTS. You can see in my sig below its called a Snowbird Migration.....hmmm, never thought of myself as a snowbird, but I guess we could end up easing into that lifestyle now that we are retired. We sailed Serenade last April, hadn't planned to sail again on the same ship so soon but as I noted earlier, we are sailing with a bunch of folks we cruised with on the Liberty OTS transatlantic in Oct 2011. The roll call is quite ambitious, we are on a 2nd thread on the main board, with another thread in the floataway lounge for "non-cruise" conversation.

My mom just got off the Dawn a couple weeks ago, a 7 nite to Coz, Roatan and Belize. She enjoyed it a lot.

That is an active Rollcall! Sounds like fun and glad to hear your mom enjoyed the ship. I use the cruise critic app and it doesn't show the signatures so I couldn't see it. Just wish the cruise was closer!

Oh, didn't realize the CC app didn't display sigs/countdowns.

Another Hump Day has come and gone. That's OK, everyday is Saturday:D

Deb

No it doesn't but it is a convenient way to check whatever thread you are following. Instead of looking through all the threads you just mark it as a favorite and then it shows latest posts on any you are following. It is not perfect but it is easy. Only problem I have right now is I booked the 2015 and 2016 Oct. repo cruises from Boston...lol...I have to check the top to see which one is which. Ahhhh...the life of a retiree!! Lol;)

Debbie, we got back from our cruise on the Quantum of the Sea a week ago. It was a great ship with good food, shows and activities. We drove to New Jersey so no airfare. We had an active face book group and we meet some great people. One group of people were from Australia and then came to DC for a couple of days. But they had noro virus the week before and so they were cleaning all the time. We thought great it will be clean. Unfortunately, Kevin had a reaction to the cleaning chemical which caused him to have two seizures on board and 5 more when we got home.

Debbie, we got back from our cruise on the Quantum of the Sea a week ago. It was a great ship with good food, shows and activities. We drove to New Jersey so no airfare. We had an active face book group and we meet some great people. One group of people were from Australia and then came to DC for a couple of days. But they had noro virus the week before and so they were cleaning all the time. We thought great it will be clean. Unfortunately, Kevin had a reaction to the cleaning chemical which caused him to have two seizures on board and 5 more when we got home.

I hope he is OK. Did he need to see the doctor onboard? I got sick on my last cruise but it was the first day back. Some others on the thread also got sick afterwards too. I heard there were some sick onboard but didn't know how many. Hope he is feeling better!

Deb

Norwegian Gem departs New York on Jan 12, 2016 for a 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise. There are some great deals right now (dinner or drink package, or gratuities included).

Laura

You are right about those deals, except they don't do the free drink package on repo's.:( They offer something off on your flight instead. I took the free gratuities for 14 days on the Dawn.

Deb

Debbie, he did not see the doctor on board because the type of seizure that he has is called Todd's paralysis. He can't move his right arm, leg or talk. Most of the time it is just one thing and have meds to help it. We just stayed in our cabin for a couple of hours. We called the doctor when we got home and she increased his meds for a week. We found out the name of the cleaning product

and talked to the chemical company. They said the product is safe with a small chance of having a neurological problem. I think the fact that a ship is a contained area and they were using the product all over the ship day after day may have caused his problems.