Silver spirit maiden

LOVE@CRUISE

Hi everyone,

I know there is a lengthy thread on this elsewhere, but I am hoping to start a new discussion with fellow passengers who will be sailing Dec 23 .

After 85 nights on Regent, we took the plunge and sailed SS Shadow in September through the Mexican Riviera. We fell in love and when the flyer showed up in our suite offering a midship gty on Spirit for Christmas we couldn't resist. Of course several crew members helped talk us into it, as they will be leaving the Shadow for the Spirit and will meet us onboard in Barcelona! Suffice it to say all of them are thrilled to be transferring! Since we are new to SS, we would love to meet other CC members who are going to be with us! Do any of you know what kind of weather we can expect ? We have never sailed this time of year, and all the ports will be new to us! Also, how does SS work the GTY's? Do you receive a suite number prior to sailing, or find out once you embark? And any recommendations on excursions greatly appreciated also as we plan to book them on Monday. This will truly be a very special Holiday season!

Looking forward,

Mary and Mike

California

I am expecting about 50 to 65 F on our cruise for highs, but I have not researched lows. I need to do that before packing. I am sure we will see some weather in the 40s.

We have selected something in every port. I did an emphasis on wine and food with sightseeing mixed in. I am even doing the Morocco cooking class, but hubby is doing the mosque thing. We are doing a flamenco/tapas tour, the Rock tour, the river thing in Lisbon, and a number more. It depends on what you are looking for. We try to do the shortest tour that accomplishes the most and maybe includes some local food and wine. We enjoy the cruise ships on both Silversea and Regent, so we don't like to be away too long but want a sampling of where we are, also.

When I had a guarantee on SS, it cleared before I could blink, but this criuse is sold out with a waiting list. You may need to call, as when your docs arrive, they quite possibly may not have a cabin number on them.

I will be doing a lot of blogging on this cruise. Right now, I just have the itinerary up as a placeholder. The next things will be Barcelona and also our list of shore excursions.

We try to do trivia every single day that we are not on an excursion before it starts. We do golf putting, too.

Todd spends some time in the cabin watching movies because he has little time for that at home. I like to sit in the hot tub. I may have some competition on this cruise for it, so I am glad there are 4.

I believe CaShipman and NJBelle are also on this sailing.

Really getting excited! Now if only British Airways will get us the business upgrade with our miles, we will be in business!!!. Are you flying in early? We don"t have plans for Barcelona: we may just stay on Spirit to get our extra "sea" days! We are thinking about a private tour in Lisbon with Tours for You in order to see as much as possible on our last day. Otherwise I think the river tour is the best option (pray for no rain!)

Still no cabin assignment but I am not worried. I don't think Silversea will put us in steerage (lol)

We are coming in one day early to Barcelona but arrive at 9 a.m. I picked a short tour, I think that is the wine one. I don't know how much we will go around the day before. It depends on how tired we are and stuff. Todd is not a big sighteer. We are staying right Las Ramblas in a balcony suite.

In Lisbon, we have a very early flight out after the ship's overnight. That was the only way to avoid a double connect. I think it is at 10:40.

I'm sure a guide would have been lovely, but we were not even doing this cruise but an Africa one that was canceled, so my head is only 50% into this itinerary.

Hi Debbie!

We are coming in on the night of the 22nd. I think our flight gets in around 5 pm. Hoping for a good night's sleep, and have reserved early embarkation on the 23rd. Any hotel recommendations? We want to stay somewhere near the town centre and I'm told transportation should be around 20 euro to the pier.??? We leave early on the 3rd, : plane leaves Lisbon at 10:30 in the morning: back to Heathrow to connect to a nonstop to LAX. :(

A lot of people also recommend 1898 and Le Meridien on Las Ramblas.

Our flight gets in at 9 a.m.on the 22nd, and we have a 10:40 flight on January 3 to Newark on Continental. It was the only way to avoid 3 flight segments.

We're taking a big chance on Hotel Continental with really mixed reviews and the level of hotel. I wouldn't send anyone else there, particularly. We normally book something much more upscale, but when Todd finds out about the pickpockets, he won't want to budge, and at least this place has free wine and free internet. We booked a balcony suite right over Las Ramblas. I plan to go about whether he does or not at least for a while, and I am sure I can get him to go out for a while. Mainly, we just want to arrive rested for the cruise because we are SO looking forward to this beautiful new ship.

Hi, as mentioned earlier, my family and I (husband and daughter of 15) will be on this cruise - and we are really looking forward to it. We are arriving in Barcelona on December 20 and will enjoy a few days in Barcelona before embarking. We are staying at the Hotel Majestic.

At the end of the cruise, we leave Lisbon on the same early flight to Newark that Debbie is on. Our daughter has school and we need to get back in a timely fashion.

This will be our 4th SS cruise (we cruise Regent as well - and also Crystal before our daughter got older - the staterooms on Crystal are just too small for the 3 of us now). We have never sailed on a virgin ship so are particularly excited about this cruise.

Glad to know that there are others out there on CC who will be on our cruise. We will need to plan a get-together once we get closer to our sail date.

Best, NJBelle

As far as I know, there is

NjBelle

Love@cruise

DebbieH103

CaShipman

Rally

I believe this is our 8th SS cruise. I cruised 3 times on Regent, Todd has been on them once and loved it. I've also done mass market but not with him. He would likely not enjoy it at all due to crowds and small spaces.

This weekend, I will probably go look at My Voyage and take a look at what has changed by then, if anything. We should be at 60 days from sailing then. If I do the spa, I imagine I will book on board the first day. I do want to see what they are offering, though.

NJBelle,

You will like the Majestic a lot, It is perfectly located on the Passeig de Gracia in the heart of Eixemple where many restaurants and shops are located, not to mention two of Gaudi's famous houses which are practically next door.

As far as I know, there is

NjBelle

Love@cruise

DebbieH103

CaShipman

Rally

I believe this is our 8th SS cruise. I cruised 3 times on Regent, Todd has been on them once and loved it. I've also done mass market but not with him. He would likely not enjoy it at all due to crowds and small spaces.

This weekend, I will probably go look at My Voyage and take a look at what has changed by then, if anything. We should be at 60 days from sailing then. If I do the spa, I imagine I will book on board the first day. I do want to see what they are offering, though.

Well, Rally and Love@Cruise have been a couple for just over 40 years =)

If anyone is still looking for a hotel in Barcelona the new Mandarin Oriental is taking reservations from December 15th on, just in time for the maiden voyage. It looks spectacular and is perfectly located on the Passeig de Gracia (very near the Majestic.)

I spoke to someone at SS today, and they said that they are planning to make pricing announcements about Seishin before we board but that a date has not been determined.

Maybe they will hold an auction =)

Well, maybe not quite yet, but soon....

We have booked some of the excursions - a couple of the places we have been before (Gibraltar, Lisbon) but there seem to be a good variety of excursions offered. No spa services booked yet. Our hotel (we are in Barcelona for 3 days before we board the ship) has a spa, and I may do something there, so will probably wait until I get on the Spirit before booking.

I will bet there are more than 4 sets of CC folks on this first voyage - so I hope people will speak up soon. It would be great to have a nice cocktail party for ourselves early in the cruise (dougburns, your plans for your party are making us jealous!).

NJBelle

I'm extremely pleased with the excursions on this cruise because even a lot of the half day ones are nice. We are doing some of those, as we want to see things but also spend time on the new ship.

I'm doing the Moroccan cooking school thing and looking forward to it. Anyone else? Hubby will be doing the mosque tour instead that day.

I've been at a resort on opening week but never on a ship on the first sailing. I can't wait!

I'ld love to have a party: that is... if I had a suite to have a party in! Who knows where they will put us with this mid ship GTY???? When do you think documents will be mailed. ??? We have booked several excursions: going to the Alhambra, the Andalucian Horse Show and Sherry tasting, the guided tour of Casablanca, the City Under Siege tour of Gibralter, and the day trip to Seville. We will do Lisbon and Barcelona on our own; can't wait! I know we are all in for a very memorable Holiday!!! Cheers;)

Archived