Worried about service and MTD

mondas42

Hi all

After reading all the stuff about tipping and service levels, I must admit to been slighty concerned about what we can expect on our 1st cruise next May on Brilliance. We booked MTD as we have a very port intensive crusie and a 9 year old so we wanted the freedom to eat when we wanted. I understood about having to pre-pay the tips, and was quite happy about this. However after reading some of the recent posts about tipping, I wanted to know if we can expect poorer service because of this? Has anyone any experiance of this?

Also who do we give the envelopes to at the end of the holiday as we will be served by different people every night.

What about the level of service in out room?

Thanks

Martin

We had MTD on Monarch last April and it was wonderful. Service was great-fast and attentive service. We had different tables most nights but the servers were still wonderful. We did not have any complicated drink orders (so no need to "remember" anything) and when we asked for the bottle of wine we had opened the night before, it was brought and served quickly. We loved MTD-at least on Monarch--and are doing it again next year.

We were on MTD 2 weeks ago... and it was great!!

The servers are just as attentive (In fact, the waiters were the best we've ever had on any cruise!!)!!

We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table.... and that's because we wanted a table for 2.

You don't have to give the envelopes to anybody, as the tips are already paid, and the waitstaff know this.... unless you want to give extra tips!!

If you are doing My Time Dining, your tips MUST be pre-paid (added to your cruise fare). As the poster above said, you can give extra to anyone you would like. You can get envelopes at the Purser's Desk (Guest Services) for this.

I am just off the Splendour, we had MTD.

Of the 3 cruises I was on, this was the best experience we had in the dining room. Service was great!

On the last night, we got 4 envelopes, and vouchers from the prepaid tips.

Service was so good, we added way more though.

I don't have any information on this, but just wondering.

Do you think the service in My Time Dining is generally good because if they didn't provide good service, the waiters would be moved back to standard dining (with no guaranteed tips)?

I don't have any information on this, but just wondering.

Do you think the service in My Time Dining is generally good because if they didn't provide good service, the waiters would be moved back to standard dining (with no guaranteed tips)?

How about people that provide good service do so because they have a strong work ethic and it is their job to so? Reading on this message board, many of you (not all) make it out to be that servers will only do their job if they are tipped. While tips are expected (and make up part of their pay to live on), a person that takes their job seriously will provide a good service regardless if you tip them or if you stiff them. Now, if you stiff them, do expect hostile looks directed at your back and lots of kitchen smack talk about you if they ever see you again - but they should still act professionally and provide a good service to your face. I don't expect good service from servers because they want a good tip; I expect good service from servers because it is their job. I'm speaking as a person that has waited many a tables in my life. - Oh, and I'm in no way advocating that you stiff them since they should give you proper service regardless. Tips is part of their livelihood.

How about people that provide good service do so because they have a strong work ethic and it is their job to so? Reading on this message board, many of you (not all) make it out to be that servers will only do their job if they are tipped. While tips are expected (and make up part of their pay to live on), a person that takes their job seriously will provide a good service regardless if you tip them or if you stiff them. Now, if you stiff them, do expect hostile looks directed at your back and lots of kitchen smack talk about you if they ever see you again - but they should still act professionally and provide a good service to your face. I don't expect good service from servers because they want a good tip; I expect good service from servers because it is their job. I'm speaking as a person that has waited many a tables in my life. - Oh, and I'm in no way advocating that you stiff them since they should give you proper service regardless. Tips is part of their livelihood.

I was not trying to imply that workers on the ship lacked work ethic or that they are only working to be rewarded for tips. That is only your assumption of my question. I could not work 10 to 12+ hours a day for 6 to 8 months like they do.

I wouldn't even expect them to be nice to my face is if I stiffed them.

We mainly book late dining and usually book close to sailing time, and every time I cruise my waiter usually has one empty table. I feel bad for him/her since I know that affects his bottom line.

I asked, because I have read a lot/talked to people who have taken cruises on other lines that have guaranteed tips and they were not happy with the service. I'm just curious whats to come if Royal Caribbean changes to mandantory tips. (Also asked because my dog just stares at me when I ask her questions like these)

Also, I study behavioral psychology and I am generally interested in these types of relationships.

bionicman.

We have had MTD on our last 3 RCI cruises...5 nites, 12 nites, and 4 nites, and every night except one we had exceptional service. The one night we had bad service was the first night of the 12 night cruise, and we asked not be sat in the section again. Our wish was honored, and for the next 11 nights we had outstanding service. I do think the waitstaff in MTD is among the best on the ships.

We cruised on NCL in May, and they have automatic service charges added daily, and the wait staff in the regular dining rooms was among the worst we've ever had in over 60 cruises. I certainly hope RCI will not go to mandatory tipping, because in the lines we've cruised that have had mandatory tips, service in the DR has not been up to RCI standards. I think when the crew knows they are getting tipped, they don't go above and beyond to serve you.

If they do, I hope the DR Manager will keep a good eye on what's happening in the DR. I do like the CEL way.....adding the service charge every day, but you can go online and change the amount either up or down on a daily basis. That keeps the incentive for good service, and gives extra incentive for outstanding service!

Rita(sorry, didn't see someone else was signed in)

I was not trying to imply that workers on the ship lacked work ethic or that they are only working to be rewarded for tips. That is only your assumption of my question. I could not work 10 to 12+ hours a day for 6 to 8 months like they do.

I wouldn't even expect them to be nice to my face is if I stiffed them.

We mainly book late dining and usually book close to sailing time, and every time I cruise my waiter usually has one empty table. I feel bad for him/her since I know that affects his bottom line.

I asked, because I have read a lot/talked to people who have taken cruises on other lines that have guaranteed tips and they were not happy with the service. I'm just curious whats to come if Royal Caribbean changes to mandantory tips. (Also asked because my dog just stares at me when I ask her questions like these)

Also, I study behavioral psychology and I am generally interested in these types of relationships.

Sorry, you probably read the tone in my writing to be a lot harsher than it was intended to be. And it wasn't a direct jab at you despite that I chose your post to quote. I'm still a newbie on this message board but I've felt that I've read that type of comment/concern over and over and over on here...

it has given me the impression that many people on here feel that the only way they'll get good service is if the server knows there's a tip to still be earned and the tip is the only motivator for good service to be provided. True or not (that many people on here believe that) - that is the impression that I'm getting from several people's posts on various threads. My question "How about people that provide good service do so because they have a strong work ethic and it is their job to do so?" was a genuine question. I just felt that people weren't taking that into consideration.

I'm just asking questions... and my cat apparently isn't any better than your dog with answering them.

I believe good/excellent service starts with management committed to providing excellent service. I have worked in food service in the past and some restaurants are very demanding of certain levels of service from all dining room staff. If those levels are not met - you are coached in the areas you are deficient. There are also other retail and service oriented businesses that are very demanding of service to customers from their employees.

If it is top down, you will more than likely have exceptional service rather than coming from the bottom up. Bottom up, you will have the high achieving, work ethic driven employees shining and rising in the ranks while the ones who are competent but not caring get by.

So the ethic driven well trained staff members will garner more additional tips while the competent but not caring will get all or most of their prepaid tips but little extra.

We had MTD on the ExOS NE/Canada trip in September and generally were very pleased with it. They told us that we would have to make a reservation for every night if we wanted a table for two, but if we didn't mind eating with others, just show up when we wanted. We never had to wait more than a few minutes and found the service to be equally good as any we have gotten with traditional dining. As we never had the same waiter twice, we can say that they all were very good. As far as the tipping, we were a little confused as to whom to give the waiter and assistant waiter's pre-paid vouchers to on the last night. Customer service told us to just give it to any of the waiter's/assistant waiters, because the MTD staff turns these in, and the tips are split among them. All in all, I think we will do the MTD again.

We just got off the Mariner yesterday, and had MTD. My only complaint about it is the host at the door, he was really rude. We had a standing 6:30 reservation, then changed it 6:45 after the first 2 days. We had the same table every night, so we just bypassed the host stand and walked right to our table. We were told that you did not need a reservation, and there usually would not be a problem to get a table. We were a party of 9 with little kids, so we didn't want to take a chance.

The service was excellent, it may have taken a bit longer though. Our waiter was in charge of 7 tables, and everyone was eating different courses at different times, so we understood. Plus it gave us a few minutes between courses to let the food settle. Our waiter told us that there are 12 waiters for the MTD, and they are the best of the waitstaff. The prepaid tips didn't make any difference in the service. They give you vouchers so that you can have something to give the wait staff if you want. They split all of the prepaid tips and divide them up among them. You can always give extra if you feel they deserve it. We were down to only $50 between all of us, so we gave them what we had, and would have tipped more if we had any $$ left (stinkin' beach vendors!) For some reason the ATMs were not working on the last couple of nights so we couldn't get any more. I would definately do this option again.

bionicman.

We have had MTD on our last 3 RCI cruises...5 nites, 12 nites, and 4 nites, and every night except one we had exceptional service. The one night we had bad service was the first night of the 12 night cruise, and we asked not be sat in the section again. Our wish was honored, and for the next 11 nights we had outstanding service. I do think the waitstaff in MTD is among the best on the ships.

We cruised on NCL in May, and they have automatic service charges added daily, and the wait staff in the regular dining rooms was among the worst we've ever had in over 60 cruises. I certainly hope RCI will not go to mandatory tipping, because in the lines we've cruised that have had mandatory tips, service in the DR has not been up to RCI standards. I think when the crew knows they are getting tipped, they don't go above and beyond to serve you.

If they do, I hope the DR Manager will keep a good eye on what's happening in the DR. I do like the CEL way.....adding the service charge every day, but you can go online and change the amount either up or down on a daily basis. That keeps the incentive for good service, and gives extra incentive for outstanding service!

Rita(sorry, didn't see someone else was signed in)

This post has me confused. I thought if you wanted MTD, tipping (prepaid gratuities) were mandatory. However, this poster states that they have used MTD on 3 cruises but later states that if the crew knows they are getting tipped, the servers don't go above and beyond. Is there a way to have MTD but NOT prepay the tips? Otherwise, doesn't the crew KNOW they are being tipped by the people in MTD?

Sorry, you probably read the tone in my writing to be a lot harsher than it was intended to be. And it wasn't a direct jab at you despite that I chose your post to quote. I'm still a newbie on this message board but I've felt that I've read that type of comment/concern over and over and over on here...

it has given me the impression that many people on here feel that the only way they'll get good service is if the server knows there's a tip to still be earned and the tip is the only motivator for good service to be provided. True or not (that many people on here believe that) - that is the impression that I'm getting from several people's posts on various threads. My question "How about people that provide good service do so because they have a strong work ethic and it is their job to do so?" was a genuine question. I just felt that people weren't taking that into consideration.

I'm just asking questions... and my cat apparently isn't any better than your dog with answering them.

No problem, it is hard to read tone in posts. The big problem appears to be these slacker pets ;)

Hi all

After reading all the stuff about tipping and service levels, I must admit to been slighty concerned about what we can expect on our 1st cruise next May on Brilliance. We booked MTD as we have a very port intensive crusie and a 9 year old so we wanted the freedom to eat when we wanted. I understood about having to pre-pay the tips, and was quite happy about this. However after reading some of the recent posts about tipping, I wanted to know if we can expect poorer service because of this? Has anyone any experiance of this?

Also who do we give the envelopes to at the end of the holiday as we will be served by different people every night.

Thanks

Martin

For heaven's sake, you are on a cruise ship on vacation. How bad can things be? There are so many people on these message boards who read too much and over-analyze every little detail, as if their life depends on it. I honestly think people are way too obsessed with expecting and demanding perfection. It's a vacation. People are human. Most people do their best to meet people's expecations. Don't sweat the small stuff. Geesh.:confused:

We had MTD on the IOS in June and it was great. We had the same waiters every night, on the last night we gave them the vouchers plus more cash. As everyone knows, there are some issues with tipping in european cruises and I bet that the crew members working on MTD were really happy because they knew that their tips were guaranteed.

Martin, you are going to love the Brilliance. We have cruised twice on the BOS, and as you said is a really port intensive itinerary. Some days we didnt make it to our first seating on MDR.

If you are doing My Time Dining, your tips MUST be pre-paid (added to your cruise fare). As the poster above said, you can give extra to anyone you would like. You can get envelopes at the Purser's Desk (Guest Services) for this.

We are booked on Freedom for 4/25/10 and our TA was told it was no longer necessary to pre-pay our tips. So, I guess it is NO LONGER NECESSARY. I had expected to do so, but on the invoice from the TA, it has been removed.

I don't know if it starts next year or is in effect now, but I know we don't have to do so.

We are booked on Freedom for 4/25/10 and our TA was told it was no longer necessary to pre-pay our tips. So, I guess it is NO LONGER NECESSARY. I had expected to do so, but on the invoice from the TA, it has been removed.

I don't know if it starts next year or is in effect now, but I know we don't have to do so.

I do not claim to be an expert but yours is the 1st post I have seen that says this.

To be sure I think you should confirm that you DO HAVE MTD selected.

I know that I prepaid in April and for our upcoming Jewel cruise this month.

Hi all

Thanks

Martin

We just returned from our 7 night Voyager W. Med cruise and utlized MTD to accomadate our port schedule.

Overall, the dining room service wasn't any different than the last time we cruised (3 years ago) with traditional dining. The only problem we experienced was an issue being offered or getting anything to drink other than water. Eventually I mentioned it to staff higher up than the assitant waiter and waiter and the issue was corrected immediately. They were great at offering bottled water and wine but, until I mentioned that we prefer something other than wine or bottled water, nothing else was offered.

We had our biggest issue at lunch on our sea day in the MDR. My wife had to request hot tea three times. When she asked the waiter, he said the assistant waiter would get it. I took this to mean he didn't feel it was his job. Needless to say, that's the issue that pushed it over the edge for me. I spoke up that evening after I had cooled off a bit.

As far as what to do with the envelopes and vouchers for the wait staff, I just threw them away after confrming that they weren't really necessary with customer service. Who would I give them to anyway? We had different waiters and assitant waiters every night. The biggest issue would be any extra tip you might want to give to someone who has provided exceptional service.

It is still necessary to pre-pay tips when using MTD. We just returned from our cruise and, when we signed up for MTD, they handed us the pre-pay gratuities form that had to be filled out prior changing from traditional to MTD. You're TA is incorrect.

I agree with the post that says your TA doesn't have you signed up for MTD. Check your reservation online to see what dining time RCI lists you as having. Some TA's seem to be struggling with this. I know our TA coudn't seem to get us signed up and we had to wait until we were onboard to change from traditional to MTD. Once onboard, it wasn't an issue but we did have to pre-pay our tips.

We just got off the Mariner yesterday, and had MTD. My only complaint about it is the host at the door, he was really rude. We had a standing 6:30 reservation, then changed it 6:45 after the first 2 days. We had the same table every night, so we just bypassed the host stand and walked right to our table. We were told that you did not need a reservation, and there usually would not be a problem to get a table. We were a party of 9 with little kids, so we didn't want to take a chance.

You don't mention the exact problem you had with the host - but I would imagine bypassing the waitstand with a party of 9 to walk directly to "your" table might have something to do with it. That doesn't excuse blatant rudeness, but assigning yourself a table might set off a not so pleasant response.

Unless I'm doing traditional dining, I don't really have a table. I look at it as if I have a reservation at Chops or even a land based restaurant and walking past the host to "my" table because I have a reservation for 6:45. It is not my table until they take me to it.

In a land based restaurant, just because there is an empty table does not mean the host will take your party to it right away. They know what the service staff is doing and knows they might need a few minutes to get to a certain point in serving other diners before starting with your party. Especially working with a large party.

Archived