Vista-class hair dryers?

elycelynne

I know that they're supposedly not very powerful which is fine, because I don't have thick hair. What I was wondering is if they're the kind to which a "concentrator" can be attached. If not, would I be able to unplug their dryer and plug in a small travel dryer in its stead without blowing up something?

Is there usually another outlet (either near the hair dryer or not so near where I could use an extension cord) into which I could plug my travel dryer without blowing something?

And can they accommodate a concentrator, or are they the "no-neck" kind? (That's the best way I could describe it.)

A concentrator is an attachment that's kind of shaped like an attachment for your vacuum cleaner hose, only it's used to concentrate the airflow from the blowdryer. The blowdryer would have to have a barrel, as opposed to the kind that are just short and flat.

Look in the drawer of the dresser/desk. The hair dryer (type that can use a concentrator attachemnt) is kept there in a blue HAL bag. It will use the 240v outlet found at the desk. Very nice arrangement and handy to the illuminated magnifying mirror in addition to the mirror over the desk.

I've found a hair dryer there even on the ships that have the old (weak) hose unit attached to the wall types.

The provided hair dryers actually have their own dedicated outlet which is not accessible. Therefore, no outlets in the cabin are actually taken up by the blowdryer. However, I would recommend bringing a power strip as we forever have several things that all need plugging in and there are rarely enough outlets in a typical cabin (most, in fact, only have one true outlet and and then one of those kind in the bathroom that are only suitable for electric razors). Suites would be the exception as they usually have more than one.

The provided hair dryers actually have their own dedicated outlet which is not accessible. Therefore, no outlets in the cabin are actually taken up by the blowdryer. However, I would recommend bringing a power strip as we forever have several things that all need plugging in and there are rarely enough outlets in a typical cabin (most, in fact, only have one true outlet and and then one of those kind in the bathroom that are only suitable for electric razors). Suites would be the exception as they usually have more than one.

HAL now has a policy where they do not want you to bring your own power bar.

I still have one of the "Know Before You Cruise" booklets from our last cruise and on page 18 they indicate that you can get a power bar at the front office.

A diffuser and a concentrator are two different things. A diffuser is the larger piece that tends to "spread out" the hot air where a concentrator is the thing that kind of looks like a flat funnel. You can buy a universal diffuser at Walmart, etc. but a concentrator is usually specific in size to the dryer it came with. I can't recall ever seeing a universal concentrator. To be safe, I would bring my own hairdryer with the concentrator attachment.

A diffuser and a concentrator are two different things. A diffuser is the larger piece that tends to "spread out" the hot air where a concentrator is the thing that kind of looks like a flat funnel. You can buy a universal diffuser at Walmart, etc. but a concentrator is usually specific in size to the dryer it came with. I can't recall ever seeing a universal concentrator. To be safe, I would bring my own hairdryer with the concentrator attachment.

poison_80sbighair.JPG

On the Oosterdam at the beginning of September, the only dryer provided was the one bolted inside a drawer. It is the same style as the ones that are normally attached to the wall at most hotels. I immediately went to the front desk and begged for a standard style pistol dryer and was brought one to use.

Part of the problem is is that if you are tall (like me) and like to dry your hair standing up (like me), the hose is too short to reach the top of your head.

On the Oosterdam at the beginning of September, the only dryer provided was the one bolted inside a drawer. It is the same style as the ones that are normally attached to the wall at most hotels. I immediately went to the front desk and begged for a standard style pistol dryer and was brought one to use.

Part of the problem is is that if you are tall (like me) and like to dry your hair standing up (like me), the hose is too short to reach the top of your head.

Unfortunately that's not a concern for me due to the fact that I'm vertically challenged. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just spring for a small travel-sized dryer that has its own concentrator. It will come in handy for other trips, too.

I will never forget my first cruise and I was told not to bring my own hair dryer. The one in the bathroom just about burned my hands! Bring your own. I have since learned that more modern hair dryer's are in the top drawer of your cabin but I still take my own with an extension cord. If you have nice hair and want it to look nice while you are at sea, then bring your own. Plain and simple.

Archived