Concierge Class Cabins on Constellation Deck 8 Analyzed - Feedback Please

PelicanLvr

Here is an analysis of the Concierge Class Cabins on Constellation (Deck 8) to book. So many posts here ask if specific cabins are good ones, so (even though this is only my opinion) I thought people might find this helpful.

Background: My DW and I have enjoyed several Connie sailings in recent years in Concierge Class (CC) cabins on Deck 8. We enjoy the ship (its size, dining options, etc) so, knowing we’d be back, I took some notes to know which deck 8 CC cabins to book and which to avoid. We like Deck 8 because it has staterooms both above and below. We don’t like Deck 9 due to the overhang & lido above.

Please let me know if you find this info useful. We have an upcoming cruise on Summit and I could do a little more homework. Thanks for the feedback!

CC Cabins - Constellation Deck 8:

The “Great” Rooms with larger balconies: People love the aft-facing staterooms (8170, 8172, 8176, & 8185) for the views of the wake and super-large balconies. 8045 & 8046 with larger “triangle shaped” balconies are also popular. Book these if you can! But what if they are already gone…..?

Best standard (non-adjoining) CC Cabins: 8072, 8074, 8076, 8078, 8080, 8082, 8084, & 8086 (starboard side): Good mid-ship location and non-adjoining (no interior door to the neighboring room which some complain can be the source of noise/light from the next cabin). So, why are they good? Because the inside cabins that appear directly across the hall on the deck plan are NOT really there. Well, of course they’re there, but you would never know it! Their doors all open to the opposite (port side) hall (note they all have odd cabin numbers). So there is nothing (no cabins or service areas) opposite these CC Cabins across the hall …nothing but a hallway wall.

Also good (on the port side) are 8075, 8079, 8083, 8087, 8091, 8095 & 8099: These have the same good mid-ship location & are non-adjoining, you just have a neighbor across the hall. Very good rooms to book.

Need an adjoining room? Look to book 8114, 8116, 8118, 8120, 8122, 8124, 8126, 8128, 8130, 8132, & 8134 (Starboard side): Good mid-ship adjoining rooms. Also, there also are no entrances to the “crew only” area (the large white blank space on the deck plan) across the hall anywhere in this block of cabins!

Location of Crew-Only Service Doors: I like to avoid cabins across from doors to crew-only areas (ie food prep facilities, freight elevators, mechanical equipment etc). They can be the source of noise and/or additional activity. If that matters to you, note that doors to the crew-only areas (shown as white blank space on the deck plans) are located approximately opposite the following CC cabins:

Starboard side: 8052, 8060, 8066 8090 8138, 8150 & 8176 (aft cabin)

Port Side: 8047, 8065, 8069, 8107, 8109, 8115, 8141, & 8145

Rooms to Avoid:

8094, 8096, 8111, & 8115 – Partially obstructed by the dreaded window washing equipment. NOTE: Cabins affected by the window washing equipment vary by ship. These are the rooms on Constellation ONLY. For other M-Class ships check the deck plan listed “obstructed view” rooms to avoid.

8102 & 8108 – listed as “obstructed view”, small balcony, & windows of suite next door look onto balcony.

8047 & 8048 – less private balcony which is visable from the angled balcony of the neighboring room.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if there is any other info you’d find interesting. I can be on the lookout on our upcoming cruise.

Happy Sailing!

For anybody who's heard of www.seatguru.com for airline seats, this is equally as thorough and promises to be VERY helpful to some of us in the future.

Last summer Mr. B. and I were in cabin 8169 for our Baltic on the Connie, and I see it doesn't show up on either the good or the bad list -- I totally concur. It was fine, and when I booked it, I wondered if there might be a better one, but even on board, I didn't take the time to note all these little details, that you have outlined for us here.

On Dec. 6th, we'll be in 8068 for the Panama Canal, and it doesn't show up on either the good or the bad list, so again, I think it will be fine. We were going to skip the CC this time, but when there was a nice price reduction, who could resist?

Lvr, you have done a fabulous service for all future CC CC cruisers, and the minute you said you like Deck 8 b/c of cabins above and below, I knew I was on the same wave length with you!

Thank you, and many happy future cruises to you.

--May

Thanks, PelicanLvr. We had a stateroom booked that is across from a crew-only service door. I just changed it. Much appreciate your analysis!

What is your analysis of the portside rooms that aren't opposite other staterooms or crew service doors, such as the rooms between 8047 and 8065?

Edited by sloopsailor

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have been searching the boards for EXACTLY this information since booking cabin 8116 for our Baltic cruise next June. While we are in a "good" cabin, I wonder if the "great" cabins are still available and at what price.

Please note that 8176 is a handicapped accessible cabin so unless you need this room, please don't book it. Save it for those who do.

Thanks.

I agree. However, as I recall. inquiry is made if either your or your mate are handicapped; and, if not you are denied the ability to book this cabin. I have heard unconfirmed reports that if you are able to book this cabin, and if a truly handicapped person desires same that you will be bumped; and, not necessarily to the same category.

Edited by jackdiamond

Thanks PelicanLvr! Your post was very informative! We are booked in 8170 on the Connie for August 2010. It will be our first time in an aft cabin. Our TA tried to convince me to book the cabin right above on deck 9 but I had the same concerns as you. Smooth Sailing!:)

You note that 8108 has windows of suite next door looking on to the balcony. It is an adjoining stateroom with 8110.

We booked 8112 which is in between the adjoining staterooms on either side. I would think that would be a premium stateroom considering its proximity to the midships elevators with no adjoining staterooms on either side.

PelicanLvr

Really appreciate the time you took putting this together. This is the type of thing that helps each of us so much. I've copied your post into a word file for future reference.

On M-Class,we like to go forward because we love to run up to the T-Spa in the morning and enjoy the fantastic pool and cafe. So we go for those on this class. We love Connie - she is our favorite ship right now (about to try S-Class!).

As to the Deck 8 comment. Overall concur on making sure you have a SR above and below, but there are quiet Deck 9 CC SR's. We gambled on Infinity and took the Deck 9 9038 SR with the larger angled Veranda. It has the Mens Gym Changing Room above and just forward so there was little 'activity' on the deck above our SR. Very quiet. We just took the same type SR (portside this time - Sr 9043) on our upcoming Millie Wine Cruise in Sep 10.

But overall, concur with Deck 8 assumption and will use your guide but will add Deck 9 Angled and Aft CC Cabinsl. I also understand there are many other 'quiet' Deck 9 SRs, but nobody has put anything close to what you've done. And of course, a 'noisy' room is a subjective as an opinion on service, dining quality, etc.

Denny

Just reading about cabins on summit. since this is our first on celebrity and upgraded to cc i didn't really check this out to carefully. anybody know about 9112? It really isn't a big deal unless it were to be very noisy at night oran obstructed view.Don't even know if there would be anything left to change to at this point anyhow.

Thanks to all for so many positive replies to my original post.

I must make an addition to my information and add three (3) additional crew-only service door locations that were not included in my original list. These are located approximately across from:

Please add this info to my original post.

Here are a few specific replies to your posts:

May B: Thanks for the kind words. I am also a fan of seatguru. It does sound like we are on the same “wave length”.

Sloopsailor: 8051 – 8061 (port side) should be good rooms. I would allow an extra room as a buffer to the crew-only service doors at 8047 & 8065. I understand from my cabin steward that the white space across from these rooms is the Concierge Class Kitchen where all our delicious hot breakfasts are made.

Judyfssw: I completely respect that handicapped accessible cabins should be reserved for those who need them. I truly did not intend to suggest otherwise.

Mimi33: I have not yet been on Summit yet. We are going in January. But as Summit is the same class ship I am hoping to find that it shares an identical or almost identical design. While I can’t guarantee Summit is the same, I think my post is a good starting point.

Clmom: Your cabin 8116 is in a very good stretch of adjoining rooms. If you don’t need an adjoining room, you might look into a good non-adjoining one. You are not sailing until next June so I hope some are still open.

Veronica Beaverhausen: The nearest Service Door is across from 8066 which I believe is an entrance to one of the Freight Elevators. You are not directly across from it…about a room or two away. That’s why I began my “recommended rooms” with 8072.

Daydreamer 16: I agree with YOU. People will be moving tables and chairs at the aft bar area on deck 10 well into the night. That could be a noise concern for the afts on deck 9.

Wine-O: 8112 looks fine. There are certainly staterooms scattered around Deck 8 that are just fine…but I didn’t want my original post to get so long and involved…so I limited my recommended rooms to larger blocks. Yes, 8112 looks very nice.

Denny01: We think alike. On our last Connie cruise we were in 8046 … right below your last cabin. The larger triangle balcony is great! We also like the forward location to get to the gym and Aqua Spa.

Cruisingforsix: 9112 (on Connie) is a nice location. No worries!

Thanks again everyone for your supportive replies and I’m glad the info was helpful.

JEKA is correct. I made a mistake. Yes, 8134 is the last and only non-connecting room in that long block of otherwise connecting CC rooms. It should be REMOVED from my list of "good connecting rooms". Sorry and I thank you for pointing it out. It improves this thread and the info on it.

WINE-O: Thanks for understanding that the purpose of my post was to HELP our fellow members book better staterooms. This info has certainly help me!

I have noted JEKA's correction.

If anyone else has any other corrections, additions or suggestions, please let me know...Hopefully in a more-friendly tone.

Thanks again WINE-O....

P. Lvr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Pelican!

Reserved 8149 for us on the Summit, and 8165 for my parents. I see that you added a service door for that last one. Our only other choice is 8163, which is next to a non CC balcony room with the pull-outs for the kiddos!

Trying to figure out which would be worse, noise-wise... ;) Kids or crew, kids or crew...

Sailing Aug 29 - Sept 5th, there may be some kiddos not in school yet.

Love to hear your thoughts, as well as anyone next to a bunk type room - can you hear kids?

I echo the thanks - people save their hard earned money for these cruises and just want everything to go as nicely as possible.

We were in the aft balcony CC cabin 8185 on the Panama Canal eastbound transit in January. Great cabin! There were only 3 kids that we saw on the entire cruise, and two of them were in the cabin on Deck 9 directly above us. We didn't hear them at all when we were in the room with the balcony door closed. There were only a few minor drawbacks to this cabin, all of which wouldn't prevent us from selecting this cabin again:

There was a minor amount of noise and vibration from the azipods, but only when we had waves approaching from aft, ie., following seas. They did a pretty good job of minimizing this noise/vibration in the cabins, because it was much more prevalent in the MDR (our dinner table was aft against the windows on Deck 5).

There was a bit of cigarette smoke odor occasionally when in port, wafting down from the designated smoking area on the port side of Deck 10 aft, but it wasn't noticeable when the ship was under way.

There wasn't enough room for the telephone on the nightstand, since the lamp was bolted down to the middle of the nightstand. Either the phone had to be placed too close to the bed (risking knocking it off at night) or it had to be balanced on the back of the outboard edge of the nightstand, which meant it would crash to the floor every time we would answer it. A simple fix would be to wall-mount the phones next to the bed. Celebrity seems to have done a great job of providing enough nooks and crannies and making good use of available space, they should have thought about wall-mounting the phones as well.

One light switch turned on an energy-wasting array of lights in the cabin (three fluorescent floods, four halogen spots, and a fluorescent valence light above the balcony door). Putting each of these on separate switches would save energy and be more "green".

Cheers,

mgcarnut

• 6 months later...

Hi there - am I going crazy, or does the deckplan for Celebrity Summit - Panorama Deck (8) (on celebrity's website) look like the Concierge Class room Balconies on the PORT side of the ship, are smaller than the same class balconies on the Starboard side of the ship? (example, #8149 on Port side looks smaller than same class room directly across from it on Starboard side). thahk you!

duh....nevermind my above question - Celebrity's website actually shows them as the same - I must have been on another website's deckplan for the Summit - there was a visible difference on that one (but i guess I will go with Celebrity's). newbie - whatdya expect! :)

8047 & 8048 – less private balcony which is visable from the angled balcony of the neighboring room.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if there is any other info you’d find interesting. I can be on the lookout on our upcoming cruise.

Happy Sailing!

Very helpful, we will be in 8048 so I should watch how I lounge on the veranda.

Thanks again for the detailed information.

• 5 months later...

Thank you for this most helpful information. We're confirmed in cabin 8134 for the 14nt Southern Carribbean cruise departing April 9. I always worry about getting an obstructed view and now I can rest easy. This was very nice of you to post this information for all of us to benefit from. Thanks again,

Mrs. F.

Belleair, FL

Thank You !!! Thank You!!!

One question, you said

"Location of Crew-Only Service Doors: I like to avoid cabins across from doors to crew-only areas (ie food prep facilities, freight elevators, mechanical equipment etc). They can be the source of noise and/or additional activity. If that matters to you, note that doors to the crew-only areas (shown as white blank space on the deck plans) are located approximately opposite the following CC cabins:

Starboard side: 8052, 8060, 8066 8090 8138, 8150 & 8176 (aft cabin)

Port Side: 8047, 8065, 8069, 8107, 8109, 8115, 8141, & 8145"

I am studying the deck plan and can't see those white blank spaces. What am I missing?:)