SAFETY as a SOLO (and other SOLO TIPS and TRICKS)

kstmbjm

I've been cruising solo for years. It's my favorite way to travel!

I make a point to be safety-conscious as a solo traveler. I think that cruises are the absolute safest ways for women to vacation alone. That being said, here are some things I do to make sure I stay safe:

First, I give someone at home a copy of my itinerary and we agree that I will call them (or leave a message) after each completed leg of my journey. On travel day, I call upon landing at the port city and again when I am safely on this ship. I also make a brief call to my contact person from each port, just to check in. I usually use one of the phone cafes just off the pier (very inexpensive for a brief call). If I DO have to call from my cell I just consider it a necessary expense. The call doesn't have to last more than a minute. Of course in the case that they DIDN'T receive one of our pre-arranged calls, my contact person would have Royal Caribbean's phone number to call so they could make sure I was onboard and okay.

Second, I only do shore excursions that are organized by Royal Caribbean. That way from the moment I leave the ship I am in the company of my shipmates and RCI shares responsibility for my safety. I always chat in line with people anyway, so as we're waiting for the shore excursion I make a point of letting a couple other people know that I am traveling alone. I specifically ask them to make sure I'm on board when the bus returns us to the pier. I want to make sure the driver is aware of my absence if I'm not back on board at the appointed time. Most often I find a buddy/buddies to hang out with for the day so it's not even an issue. It's always fun seeing these new friends around the ship later!

Third, if I go shopping or to an on-shore restaurant after the excursion, I make a point to stay right around the pier area. I generally won't get in a cab alone. I realize this takes away some of my options while traveling but I really don't mind. There are so many things to do and, for me, it just makes sense to choose from the safest options, expecially when traveling solo.

As you know, most people you meet while crusing are wonderful! But a couple of times over the years I've come across people on shore or on the ship who were paying attention to me in a way that seemed a little off. I always listen to these feelings and, as a precaution, make a point of mentioning during our conversation that I'm meeting up with someone in a few minutes (when I'm actually not) or whatever else I need to say to convey that I will be quickly missed if there would be any problem. Then I quickly get to where I feel safe.

Finally, I keep aware of where I am and who is around me while I'm walking the ship. Some areas can be very isolated and, while I feel it would be very unlikely that I would ever have a problem, it makes sense to be alert. This would be especially true at night. For instance, if it's dark outside, I wouldn't choose to walk through the (mostly empty at night) pool area, but would instead use another deck to get from one place to the other.

In so many ways it's a real luxury to cruise solo, meeting and spending time with new people as much as you like while still retaining autonomy of choice in every situation. I am definitely NOT AFRAID to travel alone. As I've said, I LOVE IT!

Thinking about extra safety precautions to take as a solo shouldn't put a damper on your trip in any way. I just think of it as one more thing I plan for to make my trip a success.

What about the rest of you? What are safety precautions or other accommodations that you make as a solo traveler? What are your "solo travelor TIPS and TRICKS"? I'd be so interested to know.

Kelly

Cruising (solo!) Liberty of the Seas Jan 3, 2010 and can't wait!

Freedom of the Seas 2007 Western Caribbean

Celebrity Zenith 2006 Western Caribbean

Carnival 2005 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival 2004 Western Caribbean

Celebrity Mercury 2003 Alaska

Celebrity Galaxy 2003 Southern Caribbean

Carnival 2002 Bahamas

Carnival 2001 Western Caribbean

Carnival 2000 Western Caribbean

Carnival 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival 1998 Western Caribbean

I can't say that I did anything differently than I would at home, to be honest. Living in Chicago, I've quickly developed a good "gut" for safety.

I will say that I did not, and will not, call to check in with anyone back home. I left the copy of the itinerary, and everyone had phone numbers. That was enough for me. I'm sure my mom would have felt better if I called, but no. I'm also not a social traveler - if I'm traveling alone, I prefer to be alone. I barely spoke to anyone on my cruise, except on my parasailing excursion, when there was little choice.

Perhaps I should be more careful, but in general, I felt like I didn't need to do anything I wouldn't do at home.

Gosh, after reading the first post I feel like a daredevil!! (I don't think I am...just not as cautious as Kelly)

I don't think twice about booking private excursions with good recommendations/references. Tour guides depend on a good reputation so I know they will do just as good a job getting me back to port on time as a ship-sponsored excursion. I did several short hikes on my last cruise independently (definitely away from the "main" port area), not even with a tour guide. They were not off-the-beaten track (I knew other tourists and/or locals would be on the same trails if I were to fall and break a leg and need help) but I didn't set off on the trail with a group.

For me, traveling solo is very similar to traveling with a companion. In both cases, I take precautions, but I do very little differently as a solo traveler. Regardless of who I'm traveling with (if anyone),

I never go anywhere without my cell phone, in case I need to make a call in an emergency, but 90% of the time, my phone is turned off.

I research my destination thoroughly so I don't accidentally find myself in the "bad part of town".

I follow local customs so as not to accidentally offend someone and start an argument/situation.

I carry as little as possible, leaving valuables at home when possible or at the very least, locked in the hotel safe.

If I need to be somewhere late at night, I take a taxi rather than walking.

I am always alert and paying attention to my surroundings to be aware of potential pickpocketers, scams, or other dangers.

I carry maps with me at all times.

I store important information - flight confirmations, airline phone numbers, copies of my itinerary, copies of medical insurance information, copies of my passport, credit card phone numbers, etc. - in a secure place online in case I need to access it when I am not near my print-outs. If for some reason, I didn't make the ship on time, I could go to any internet cafe to get the phone number for the cruise ship to make arrangements to meet back up. I could go to the embassy with a copy of my passport to have it re-issued. Or if had my credit card stolen, I could call the bank and have it canceled immediately.

Vacation is an adventure and adventures mean that you have to take a few chances. That doesn't mean you have to ask for trouble!!! Just be careful without being so afraid you don't enjoy yourself. I would have missed so much if I didn't venture out on my own a little. Just my opinion, but the opportunities FAR outweigh the risks.

Hi,:) I have been sailing solo for going on 7 years now and I love it too:D

I guess we all have different priorities in life. I was reading your

post and there are many things listed that I do not do. Calling home?

No...I am on vacation and choose not to speak with anyone here.

I usually tell my sister when I am leaving and when I am coming back

but that's it.

I have no desire to be calling home while I am away.

As for tours, I have done plenty of research and sometimes I do

ship's tours and sometimes not. Depends on the port, the city,

and the tour.

As for cabs? I have gone in cabs tons and tons of times without

a problem. I will continue to grab a cab on my own.

bqkali, you are not a daredevil...you just have your own way of

doing things as we all do....what is good for one person is not

necessarily good for someone else.

I am aware of my surroundings and use common sense as well.

Kelly, some of the tips are feasible, but I get the feeling you are more

concerned with "what might happen" rather than going to enjoy

your cruise.

Maybe we just look at things differently:)

I'm with you, bqkali. I'm not going to be paranoid about it. And I'm not going to call and report in either. And I don't have a problem with taking cabs by myself.

Love your suggestion about storing important info online, although I try to remember to copy down the port agent's phone number & take it with me.

I've been cruising solo for years. It's my favorite way to travel!

I make a point to be safety-conscious as a solo traveler. I think that cruises are the absolute safest ways for women to vacation alone. That being said, here are some things I do to make sure I stay safe:

First, I give someone at home a copy of my itinerary and we agree that I will call them (or leave a message) after each completed leg of my journey. On travel day, I call upon landing at the port city and again when I am safely on this ship. I also make a brief call to my contact person from each port, just to check in. I usually use one of the phone cafes just off the pier (very inexpensive for a brief call). If I DO have to call from my cell I just consider it a necessary expense. The call doesn't have to last more than a minute. Of course in the case that they DIDN'T receive one of our pre-arranged calls, my contact person would have Royal Caribbean's phone number to call so they could make sure I was onboard and okay.

Second, I only do shore excursions that are organized by Royal Caribbean. That way from the moment I leave the ship I am in the company of my shipmates and RCI shares responsibility for my safety. I always chat in line with people anyway, so as we're waiting for the shore excursion I make a point of letting a couple other people know that I am traveling alone. I specifically ask them to make sure I'm on board when the bus returns us to the pier. I want to make sure the driver is aware of my absence if I'm not back on board at the appointed time. Most often I find a buddy/buddies to hang out with for the day so it's not even an issue. It's always fun seeing these new friends around the ship later!

Third, if I go shopping or to an on-shore restaurant after the excursion, I make a point to stay right around the pier area. I generally won't get in a cab alone. I realize this takes away some of my options while traveling but I really don't mind. There are so many things to do and, for me, it just makes sense to choose from the safest options, expecially when traveling solo.

As you know, most people you meet while crusing are wonderful! But a couple of times over the years I've come across people on shore or on the ship who were paying attention to me in a way that seemed a little off. I always listen to these feelings and, as a precaution, make a point of mentioning during our conversation that I'm meeting up with someone in a few minutes (when I'm actually not) or whatever else I need to say to convey that I will be quickly missed if there would be any problem. Then I quickly get to where I feel safe.

Finally, I keep aware of where I am and who is around me while I'm walking the ship. Some areas can be very isolated and, while I feel it would be very unlikely that I would ever have a problem, it makes sense to be alert. This would be especially true at night. For instance, if it's dark outside, I wouldn't choose to walk through the (mostly empty at night) pool area, but would instead use another deck to get from one place to the other.

In so many ways it's a real luxury to cruise solo, meeting and spending time with new people as much as you like while still retaining autonomy of choice in every situation. I am definitely NOT AFRAID to travel alone. As I've said, I LOVE IT!

Thinking about extra safety precautions to take as a solo shouldn't put a damper on your trip in any way. I just think of it as one more thing I plan for to make my trip a success.

What about the rest of you? What are safety precautions or other accommodations that you make as a solo traveler? What are your "solo travelor TIPS and TRICKS"? I'd be so interested to know.

Kelly

Cruising (solo!) Liberty of the Seas Jan 3, 2010 and can't wait!

Freedom of the Seas 2007 Western Caribbean

Celebrity Zenith 2006 Western Caribbean

Carnival 2005 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival 2004 Western Caribbean

Celebrity Mercury 2003 Alaska

Celebrity Galaxy 2003 Southern Caribbean

Carnival 2002 Bahamas

Carnival 2001 Western Caribbean

Carnival 2000 Western Caribbean

Carnival 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival 1998 Western Caribbean

Kelly, thank you so much for this piece. I will be traveling on Sunday solo taking a cruise to the Bahamas. I for one will not be out of my cabin too often after the last show, or late night buffet. I love to get up early in the morning to excercise , so I'm not a late owl. The most important thing you mentioned was the organized excursion of any cruise, DO NOT TAKE A CAB ALONE!!!! I was asked by a fellow cruiser if I would be going off on a private beach, OH NO!!! I'd rather spend the extra $ for the cruise tour,

Again Thanks

Thanks for your replies so far. I've enjoyed reading them.

I'd like to clarify that I am not "paranoid" nor overly fearful. That couldn't be further from the truth. I decide what makes sense FOR ME in terms of safety but I am not spending my cruise waiting for something bad to happen. I look at the safety precautions I take in the same way I look at putting on a seatbeat ("Click it and forget it!").

Jolivia...I'M SO JEALOUS that you're leaving Sunday! Have a WONDERFUL TIME!

I leave contact info with my sister in case of emergency. I call my mum either after I've landed or am on the ship but not because I'm worried something may happen to me but because she worries enough for both of us. She is absolutely paranoid about me travelling overseas. Doesn't occur to her to be equally paranoid about my safety living in a city on my own though!

Anyway I hate organised tours of anykind, so I do my research before I go on ther ports on public transport etc. I speak several other languages and am happy using public transport, walking or taking a cab BUT depends where. On my next cruise I will be staying onboard in Dakar - too many risks according to the Foreign & Commonwealth office (toursits getting mugged or worse) and it has a malaria risk (no itention of risking side effects of malaria tablets for one port only),

I am a night owl, used to eating late and and up up and about until about 1am or so. I find cruising by far the safest form of travel for a woman on her own and I've never felt in any danger onboard.

So whilst I might seem a bit adventurous or even a risk taker, they are all calculated risks and I take no more risk than i would whilst going about my personal or business life at home.

Ladies,I find this post interesting,so Idecided to give my opinion. When I was a boy,my father told me to always be aware of my surounding,which I did now its second nature for me to do this,whether I'm at home or vacation.I find that when traveling,if you respect people and their customs,you'll have very little problems.I usually venture out on my own, to were the locals live,and behave as I do at home,so far never having any problems eating drinking having fun.Having said this,I think you should do what makes you comfortable.

I find this thread very interesting and intend to share it with my mother. She emails rather than calls but tends to stay in touch each day when travelling solo. Once she's onboard I don't worry too much about her. I assume the daily contact makes her feel more connected, though. I guess that's what works for her.

I have been hoping to find out what arrangements solo passengers make in the (hopefully rare) case of an accident or illness while abroad? My mother did Antarctica solo earlier this year and has said that she would like to do China solo next. A friend's mother fell and broke her hip while in Alaska solo a few years ago. It was a trek for him to get to her but at least she was in a place where she could communicate. What precautions do you take if you are in a more exotic location? My mother fell and broke both ankles a couple of years ago just a few blocks from her home. I just wonder what she (and I!) would do if this happened on another continent, where her ship was docked for only a few hours and she did not speak the language. Add in the need for a visa in some locations (i.e. China) and I am a bit concerned. People on cc are a wealth of information - what do you do ?

Thanks in advance.

I have booked private tours all over the world, including in Africa, India and South America and have not experienced a problem. BUT, I would never take a tour offered by the persons who stand on or near the dock and ask you if you want a to take a tour. That freaks me out as a solo. But if you pre-book private tours via reputable companies, it's just fine.

But the OP's other advice is very good.

AmoMondo, I think your phrase “calculated risk” is perfect for this discussion. And Dakar! Wow!

I like the distinction Kitty9 makes between pre-booking a tour with a vetted private company versus spontaneously deciding on one at the pier.

In fact, on my upcoming cruise there's a shore excursion that I'd like to do but it's not offered by RCI. I've read many positive reviews here on CC about a particular tour company that does this excursion, so maybe I'll do a little more checking on the company and then book my first "non-cruise company-sponsored" tour.:)

It occurs to me as I'm writing that, until I found Cruise Critic, I've never had a way to check out a private tour company. The only options I was aware of were booking through the cruise company or choosing from those offered at the pier when I got off.

I really appreciate all the good thoughts posted here. Keep 'em coming.

I think you should do what makes you comfortable.

Well said!!!

Be careful in whatever way makes you feel comfortable enough to enjoy your vacation :):)

I wish everyone many years of safe and fun traveling :D

AmoMondo, I think your phrase “calculated risk” is perfect for this discussion. And Dakar! Wow!

I like the distinction Kitty9 makes between pre-booking a tour with a vetted private company versus spontaneously deciding on one at the pier.

In fact, on my upcoming cruise there's a shore excursion that I'd like to do but it's not offered by RCI. I've read many positive reviews here on CC about a particular tour company that does this excursion, so maybe I'll do a little more checking on the company and then book my first "non-cruise company-sponsored" tour.:)

It occurs to me as I'm writing that, until I found Cruise Critic, I've never had a way to check out a private tour company. The only options I was aware of were booking through the cruise company or choosing from those offered at the pier when I got off.

I really appreciate all the good thoughts posted here. Keep 'em coming.

You may have already changed your settings; but.....your font size is extremely small. We're all interestesd to read your contributions; & it would be so much easier if you enlarged your fonts. Thanks.

I'm not sure what's going on with this. It shows HUGE on my screen when I increase it. This is "5"...I was using 2 before. What size do you use? Tell me and I'll set it to that. Thank you for letting me know! Kelly

... This is "5"...I was using 2 before...

Actually, you used Times New Roman font in Size 1 before I edited your post. Veranda font in Size 2 is the default for the message board.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I haven't sailed solo yet, but plan to in the future, so I appreciate all these tips--very logical and sound.

Most of my trips have been with friends and on my recent Grand Med tour, I got a Global phone through my cell phone provider and sent text messages, which were only .50 to send and .05 to receive. So, I would text to my family that we had arrived in Barcelona and all was well, for instance, and my daughter would text back that all was well at home. She then would send an email to my friend's families to tell them the same. Saved a lot of phone calls and no one worried so much.

Might seem like overkill, but we have some real safety/legal issues going on at home and it was nice to know that everyone was okay.

I almost always cruise solo, and more often than not, I take the ship-sponsored tours because it just makes me feel safer that if I did go missing, at least there would be a place to start. However, I have visited some ports upwards of 8 times, and there are some that I feel comfortable enough to just get off the ship and get a taxi and go to a beach.

I think the ability to speak the language fluently makes all the difference in the world. If you speak the language, you are definitely one up.

Also, I second the comment about a world of difference between going on a private tour with a company you checked out beforehand (like those recommended over and over on here) and just picking a random individual on the dock to trust.

I have booked private tours all over the world, including in Africa, India and South America and have not experienced a problem. BUT, I would never take a tour offered by the persons who stand on or near the dock and ask you if you want a to take a tour. That freaks me out as a solo. But if you pre-book private tours via reputable companies, it's just fine.

But the OP's other advice is very good.

I often take private tours on the majority of my cruises. All gather info on local vendors from this website and some others. I also will join private tours with people that I meet on my roll call. Last year I had two ports where I had a private driver to myself. Both of the drivers were women and they receive nothing but glowing reviews on this website.

Now I have booked tours at the dock area in the Caymans for stingray city. But once again, there were already people from my ship in the van so I wasn't the first one.

But there are some who won't do nothing but a ship tour. That's fine if it gives you a peace of mind.

I travel solo alot. It's mainly due to where I want to go and when.

I do have my safety in mind all of the time, just because you are on vacation is no reason to lax!

If I'm driving to a port, I only stop for gas at a well lid and other people are fueling gas station. If I need to use the restroom, I will head to a fast food place like McDonald that have people around.

I scan my area when heading to my room at a hotel.

I don't return to my hotel late at night because I want a parking spot close to the front.

I do let my parents know what ship I'm on and when I'm due back to port. Once I get on the ship and in my cabin, I will call home to let Mom know that I'm on board. After that, my cell phone goes into the safe until the last night on the ship!! On my longer cruises (10 days or more), I will e-mail a short "Things are going fine" at an internet cafe.

I trust my "gut" if something don't feel right.

I have stay at the Piano bar to enjoy a late night with friends. I never felt unsafe heading to my cabin. But if I did, you can always ask for an escort. I know someone who did this on a cruise. She loved the piano bar and would hang late, but would have security escort her to the cabin.

I will use local vendors for tours in port, mainly those who have alot of great reviews on websites like this.

I don't carry alot of cash or credit cards around with me and split my money up.

I try not to dress like a tourist!! I also try to blend in like I live there.

I will ask a police or store owners for directions.

I will also give the impression that I'm with someone.

These are just some of the tips that have carry me well on over 9 cruises and too many road trips to count.

Airlink Diva, thanks for bringing up that you could ask for an security escort if you ever thought you'd need it. I wouldn't need it myself at this time, but years ago I was traveling with my 81 year old grandmother and she would stay in the casino until all hours. I did worry about her getting back to the room safely and this could have been a solution. Thanks for adding it to our growing list of great ideas :) Also, I love the Mark Twain quote!

Great stuff here and very timely for me as I am taking my first solo cruise the end of next month. I have been "solo" for many years and am very happy being a "loner." What came to my mind when reading these posts was "I wonder hold old this person is?" I can tell you, my sense of being safe, and need to feel safe, have changed tremendously as I have gotten older. As a 25 year old single female, I had no hesitation in regard to hopping trains and traveling all over Europe by myself (and only knowing English....yikes). The risks I took then never even occured to me at that age -- and half the time I was partying and living it up with total strangers! Now, at 50, it's interesting that my safety has moved more toward the forefront of my awareness - no matter where I am. I must say I am a bit concerned about going off ship and taking tours by myself.....these posts have been very helpful! Thanks.

I must say I am a bit concerned about going off ship and taking tours by myself.....these posts have been very helpful! Thanks.

Heidi,

You will find MANY recommendations on the "Ports of Call" boards here on Cruise Critic for tour options other than those offered from the cruiseline. These tour guides have been used over and over again by cruisers and have tremendous reputations. Assuming the times of these independent tours don't cut it too close to when the ship leaves, I think you will be very safe using these tour guides. The upsides to these independent tours are smaller groups, more individualized service, and usually lower costs as well.

While I would hesitate to book with a tour guide on the dock who I had never heard of before (even if I was traveling with another person), these tour guides with hundreds of positive reviews on Cruise Critic are quite trustworthy and capable of providing a fantastic tour while still returning you to the ship on time. It does take some time to read all these reviews, go to the tour guide websites and book a tour, but the effort is usually worth it if you have the time to do the research.

Heidi,

You will find MANY recommendations on the "Ports of Call" boards here on Cruise Critic for tour options other than those offered from the cruiseline. These tour guides have been used over and over again by cruisers and have tremendous reputations. Assuming the times of these independent tours don't cut it too close to when the ship leaves, I think you will be very safe using these tour guides. The upsides to these independent tours are smaller groups, more individualized service, and usually lower costs as well.

While I would hesitate to book with a tour guide on the dock who I had never heard of before (even if I was traveling with another person), these tour guides with hundreds of positive reviews on Cruise Critic are quite trustworthy and capable of providing a fantastic tour while still returning you to the ship on time. It does take some time to read all these reviews, go to the tour guide websites and book a tour, but the effort is usually worth it if you have the time to do the research.

And you will likely find others from your ship on those tours (the ones recommended on the Cruise Critic boards) as well. Check out the roll call for your sailing--many times groups organize tours with alternative providers there.

Archived