Need Advice Re Spring Break Flight to FLL

M&MGirl1

HELP!!!

My sister and I have a cruise booked Mar. 14 -21st on Costa out of Ft. Lauderdale. We live in Kansas City, and to get a ticket on Southwest normally runs in the $180 range. I realize the trip we booked is during Spring Break, so I was expecting the air would run a bit more, but the cheapest I can come up with right now (even on Southwest) is $477 per person (which is a LOT more than I paid for the cruise).

I know 5 months out is really early to be looking at air, but I've never traveled over Spring Break before so I don't know how crowded the flights to/from FLL will get or how quickly they will sell out. If anyone has any advice on whether it would be safe to wait a few more months before booking a flight, or if I just need to bite the bullett and book something now I'd greatly appreciate hearing it.

Thanks a million!

I don't necessarily thing five months is early to be booking a fare. I don't see anything less expensive either. Your trip falls right during spring break for college students. During spring break, people like to go to someplace warm. Flights will be packed. I think you've missed the opportunity to get an inexpensive fare.

I have no crystal ball, but think it unlikely fares will decrease for this time period.

I too will say, it's a pretty fair given, that prices are not going to drop. It's a very popular destination. And there are only so many seats. Also look at flying into Miami, "transfers" run between there and Ft Lauderdale port.

5 months is definately not " really early" , and it's late for the situation you are in. You may want to consider booking soon, the cheapest you can now get.

We are sailing March 20. My DH likes to cruise after the time change. I told him no more! I hate the costs of flights too. We are flying to Orlando for 89.00 pp on Airtran, but going home we paid 177.00 on SW. That same flight 2 days later is 246.00. I am happy with our nonstop flights and price, but told him if we would even go toward the 1st of March, flights are so much cheaper!!

Sometimes the farther out you book the better. I "start" looking approx. 9 months out. Think I got a good deal LAX to FLL March 19, 2010 on Delta. Approx. $600.00 pp First Class. It's a 35th wedding anniv. cruise so we splurged a little :D

HELP!!!

My sister and I have a cruise booked Mar. 14 -21st on Costa out of Ft. Lauderdale. We live in Kansas City, and to get a ticket on Southwest normally runs in the $180 range. I realize the trip we booked is during Spring Break, so I was expecting the air would run a bit more, but the cheapest I can come up with right now (even on Southwest) is $477 per person (which is a LOT more than I paid for the cruise).

I know 5 months out is really early to be looking at air, but I've never traveled over Spring Break before so I don't know how crowded the flights to/from FLL will get or how quickly they will sell out. If anyone has any advice on whether it would be safe to wait a few more months before booking a flight, or if I just need to bite the bullett and book something now I'd greatly appreciate hearing it.

Thanks a million!

If you can go on Thursday, there is a flight to Tampa for $114 per person. There are lots of places to stay in Orlando pretty cheaply, then rent a car and drive to FLL. (Don't use Dollar, they charge a huge drop of fee)

If you can go on Thursday, there is a flight to Tampa for $114 per person. There are lots of places to stay in Orlando pretty cheaply, then rent a car and drive to FLL. (Don't use Dollar, they charge a huge drop of fee)

If this is what you are going to do price Thrifty Car Rental. They have a location that is just outside the gate to the port and they have a shuttle that will take you to the ship when you drop off your car rental (no charge)..Enjoy !

Thanks for all the great advice!

After checking out air to other FL cities & rental car prices I FINALLY found a reasonable ($280 pp) flight to/from FLL that leaves the day after the cruise.

Not the best solution since I work for a school and will have to take the first day back after spring break off - but for $200 less per person than the next-cheapest option I found I'm not going to complain. And besides, it's not like being stuck in lovely, sunny Florida for an extra day when it will still be cold (and probably wet) at home is a hardship! :D

This probably is going to be 6 of one, half of a dozen of another. Yes, the fare was high but even though you got a lower fare, by the time you add in the car, a hotel night, some meals and the fact you lost a day of work, you might end up paying more in the long run. Have to look at the whole picture.

Archived