Guaranty

We are booked on a Regent cruise for September 2010 on the Mariner (Istanbul-Athens). We are booked in a Category G "guaranty". Just wondering if anyone has booked a guaranty before and what are the likely scenarios we could end up with? When does Regent let you know your cabin assignment when you book a guaranty? We were on the Mariner in August (Alaska) and had a category H which we were perfectly fine with. The H category was sold out so took this. I'd actually prefer to be in an H category (mid ship) than end up with a cabin on the ends of the ship.

Typically, you get a category or two above your guaranteed rate. We've seen as many as three and as little as one, but never ended up with the guaranteed category. So...financially, it is a good deal, but as you pointed out, H is really the best deal on the Mariner.

They are all good rooms, so it really doesn't matter too much.

On our Alaska cruise in September, we had an H guarantee. About a week or two before the cruise we were assigned to 895 which is a F suite. On the other hand, I have a E guarantee on a five day cruise on the Navigator in April. Last week, we were assigned to 623, a G suite. It is an excellent location so I'm very happy with the assignment.

The moral of the story is that you never know when a suite will be assigned and which suite you will get. The only guarantee is that suite will not be in a category lower than the one you booked.

Dave

On our Alaska cruise in September, we had an H guarantee. About a week or two before the cruise we were assigned to 895 which is a F suite. On the other hand, I have a E guarantee on a five day cruise on the Navigator in April. Last week, we were assigned to 623, a G suite. It is an excellent location so I'm very happy with the assignment.

The moral of the story is that you never know when a suite will be assigned and which suite you will get. The only guarantee is that suite will not be in a category lower than the one you booked.

Dave

Is this a typo? The G suite you were assigned is LOWER than you E guarantee?

We have booked our first RSSC cruise on the mariner May 14 next year. we booked a D guaranty and this is what the availability looks like right now - so does this mean it is likely that we will get a higher cabin? (fingers crossed)

MS Master Suite $38,995 $19,250 Available

GS Grand Suite $34,395 $16,950 Available

MN Mariner Suite $30,195 $14,850 Available

SS Seven Seas Suite $26,795 $13,150 Available

HS Horizon View Suite $23,195 $11,350 Available

A Penthouse Suite $22,595 $11,050 Available

B Penthouse Suite $21,795 $10,650 Available

C Penthouse Suite $20,995 $10,250 Available

D Deluxe Suite $13,195 $6,350 Wait List

E Deluxe Suite $12,695 $6,105 Wait List

F Deluxe Suite $12,195 $5,850 Wait List

G Deluxe Suite $11,595 $5,550 Closed

H Deluxe Suite $10,995 $5,250 Closed

We have booked our first RSSC cruise on the mariner May 14 next year. we booked a D guaranty and this is what the availability looks like right now - so does this mean it is likely that we will get a higher cabin? (fingers crossed)

MS Master Suite $38,995 $19,250 Available

GS Grand Suite $34,395 $16,950 Available

MN Mariner Suite $30,195 $14,850 Available

SS Seven Seas Suite $26,795 $13,150 Available

HS Horizon View Suite $23,195 $11,350 Available

A Penthouse Suite $22,595 $11,050 Available

B Penthouse Suite $21,795 $10,650 Available

C Penthouse Suite $20,995 $10,250 Available

D Deluxe Suite $13,195 $6,350 Wait List

E Deluxe Suite $12,695 $6,105 Wait List

F Deluxe Suite $12,195 $5,850 Wait List

G Deluxe Suite $11,595 $5,550 Closed

H Deluxe Suite $10,995 $5,250 Closed

How did you happen to get this list? I have never seen one like it.

Well, depending on when your cruise is, there will be the usual cancellations as you get closer to final payment and beyond.

But it looks like your chances are good for an upgrade.

The part of the rssc.com website that indicates which categories are full has many problems. For instance, our May, 2010 cruise indicated all categories from Penthouse B down to be full or waitlisted. Suddenly, almost all categories are available. This is not necessarily a Regent problem. . . . a large group could have booked and then cancelled. Or, a TA may have booked a block of rooms:confused: Whatever the reason, I would not depend upon what you are currently seeing.

My papers for the upcoming cruise says GTY when I paid for an F cabin on Mariner - is this what you are talking about - I won't know my cabin for awhile? Other cruises send the cabin assignment early.

Yes, it is. Your TA must have booked an F grade GTY for you. This means you pay for that F grade but do not get allocated a suite number until final allocations are made. You will get at least what you paid for but may get a higher grade suite. You may not hear until 2 or 3 weeks before you sail, sometimes later, but keep you eye on the "my account" part of the RSSC web site, the suite number sometimes appears there first.

There are no bad suites on Mariner so don't worry. Let us know when you hear and have a wonderful cruise.

we've done 2 GTY cruises:

December 2008 Voyager - cruise was totally sold out -we did not find out our suite number until embarkation. We purchased GTY G and that's what we got.

June 2009 Mariner - cruise was probably 80% full - we also purchased a GTY G and got our assignment about a week prior (I think it was an E) but we checked the suite number and did not like the location (next to the elevator) so we ended up in a F which was at the end of a hallway (very quiet - loved it!) I agree there are no bad suites on Mariner.

I spent months thinking about whether we'd get upgraded - posting about it, dreaming about it, etc., but in the end, it really does not matter. Sure some people will have totally lucked out and end up in something many categories higher but those are rare (unless you're at gold level or above, or super lucky/have some connections w/ your travel agent). We did spend a few nights in a Navigator Master Suite (moved from our Penthouse A suite because of smoke issues- DH is allergic) and yes, having all the extra space was nice but we still spent most of our time outside the suite and while in the suite, sleeping, so after that experience we always try to reserve the least expensive category anyway (except Navigator - we reserve the cheapest balcony category) and save our $ for excursions and spa treatments.

Archived