Victoria on a Saturday evening?

We're going to be in Victoria Mid-June of 2010. Long ways off, but figured I'd get started.....

We'll be in port only a few hours. 6pm to Midnight. We did the gray line tour, and the gardens a few years back. This time we're looking for a quiet evening, not sightseeing. I think we would prefer a quiet dinner and some slow/ballroom dancing. Preferably at the same venue. I think all we'll have is resort casual clothes with us, so nothing too fancy.

Failing that, what would you suggest for 2 50-somethings who will probably be pooped after a week of cruising?

Any suggestions? And how difficult is it to get cabs?

We're going to be in Victoria Mid-June of 2010. Long ways off, but figured I'd get started.....

We'll be in port only a few hours. 6pm to Midnight. We did the gray line tour, and the gardens a few years back. This time we're looking for a quiet evening, not sightseeing. I think we would prefer a quiet dinner and some slow/ballroom dancing. Preferably at the same venue. I think all we'll have is resort casual clothes with us, so nothing too fancy.

Failing that, what would you suggest for 2 50-somethings who will probably be pooped after a week of cruising?

Any suggestions? And how difficult is it to get cabs?

Personally, I think the best thing to do on a summer evening in Victoria is visit the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory. When built, it was the largest telescope in the world (very briefly), and has a museum, and is wide open to the public on Saturday nights.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Fairmont Empress Hotel. A grand hotel right on the waterfront. Perhaps they'll have ballroom dancing or a similar event that you can attend. If nothing else, a great place to stop and have a drink and enjoy the elegant atmosphere.

• 3 weeks later...

Victoria is full of good restaurants. I remember the statistic that, at one point, it had the highest restaurant/population ratio in the country. It's a very competitive business in this city and the weak don't survive long. Unfortunately, though I've had good meals all over town, none were followed by ballroom dancing. Perhaps that's because I haven't been looking for it.

Summer weekend nights in Victoria are given over to the club scene. You'll find lots of alluringly dressed young people on the streets and crowding into the clubs, where the dancing is not (ahem) ballroom. You'll have no problem with them.

If you don't find any dancing, I'd recommend dinner somewhere downtown, followed by a walk from the restaurant down to the Causeway, the walkway in front of the Empress Hotel, and on to the right (west) along the waterfront walk in front of the Legislature. As Putterdude said, you could consider a horse-drawn carriage ride, especially if the evening is fine, for which the pick-up spot is the northwest corner of the Legislature grounds. There's a lovely, large park, Beacon Hill Park, between downtown and the cruise terminal that's enchanting to walk through at night.

Cabs and shuttle buses will be plentiful when you get off the ship and are easy to find before midnight at the taxi stands in front of the big downtown hotels. Downtown is in walking distance of the cruise terminal (maybe a half-hour walk) but most people will be using cabs.

There's a lovely, large park, Beacon Hill Park, between downtown and the cruise terminal that's enchanting to walk through at night.

Beacon Hill Park is fabulous, but you would walk through at night? I lived in Victoria for 35 years and that is something I would never do. No no no. Just sayin'. :)

Beacon Hill Park is fabulous, but you would walk through at night? I lived in Victoria for 35 years and that is something I would never do. No no no. Just sayin'. :)

In June, the sun wont set until at least 9:30pm, and it'll be light until about 10:15pm. Lovely strolling to be had, even through Beacon Hill Park.

The paths in Beacon Hill Park are actually pretty well lit at night and the paper is not full of stories about walkers getting mugged. If you were alone and female you probably wouldn't want to, but it's fine for DW and me. Caution would suggest staying on the paths.

The paths in Beacon Hill Park are actually pretty well lit at night and the paper is not full of stories about walkers getting mugged. If you were alone and female you probably wouldn't want to, but it's fine for DW and me. Caution would suggest staying on the paths.

As a female I would feel safe-ish walking Beacon Hill on the well lit paths during that time .with a friend or my husband .....would I feel as safe walking around Government and Yates or Yates street anytime?? No way.

Usually there are enough people around Beacon Hill Park if one should get into trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived