San Juan Explosion near pier-- possible plane crash

iambumbo

News just trickling in about an explosion to a petroleum facility near the San Juan bay. Possible connection to a missing Spirit Airlines flight. If true, say a prayer for those lost souls.

http://www.inquisitr.com/44141/explosion-near-san-juan-puerto-rico-believed-to-be-crashed-spirit-airlines-flight-837/

Praying this isn't true. No reliable news-service has reported this. Can't imagine a plane crashing and having no witnesses on the ground that would have confirmed it to all the reporters. Thinking to other crashes, 100's on the ground have seen it.

I heard about the explosion at the oil refinery this morning on one of the major news networks. There were only minor injuries to a few people. They were saying it's a miracle that there wasn't anyone killed. They did say the whole explosion is suspicious though - couldn't hear the reason for that as my kids started acting up!

Just talked to a friend in San Juan, the early reports there are that eleven petroleum tanks exploded. It is not known if it was an accident or a terrorist attack. There was some big news yesterday about major gov't layoffs, so it is suspicious that the explosion occurred last night.

There is a rather violent group in PR that acts up every once in a while, they are for the independence of PR.

Oh and thanks to the OP, I wouldn't have heard about this so early if it weren't for you.

Praying this isn't true. No reliable news-service has reported this. Can't imagine a plane crashing and having no witnesses on the ground that would have confirmed it to all the reporters. Thinking to other crashes, 100's on the ground have seen it.

Reuters picked up on it at 8:30 AM:

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN2391512

What ships are scheduled to be in today? I wonder how many are going to be affected?

I don't know the schedule is for today. I don't think it will affect the cruise ships. Just imho. Its close to the port but not THAT close. Here's a map if your into this sorta thing, the star is where the storage tanks are:

http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&formtype=address&latlongtype=degrees&latdeg=18&latmin=25&latsec=30&longdeg=-66&longmin=8&longsec=10

The Reuters story mentions nothing about a plane crash.

It's clear that this is a hoax.

Sad!

Not a plane crash no. But there was an explosion. It may take days to put out the fire. Possible impact to cruisers depending on wind direction, the port is not too far from the area.

Just talked to a friend in San Juan, the early reports there are that eleven petroleum tanks exploded. It is not known if it was an accident or a terrorist attack. There was some big news yesterday about major gov't layoffs, so it is suspicious that the explosion occurred last night.

I have counterparts in SJ. The facility has 12 tanks. All 12 are burned or engulfed. Early info does not indicate terrorism and appears to be an accident.

I have counterparts in SJ. The facility has 12 tanks. All 12 are burned or engulfed. Early info does not indicate terrorism and appears to be an accident.

Sorry couldn't find it in English but:

http://www.primerahora.com/diario/noticia/politica/noticias/gobernador_decretara_situacion_de_emergencia_por_incendio_en_refineria_gulf/339824

The facility has 30 tanks. 12 were destroyed- all have been damaged. PR Governor declares a state of emergency which will allow FEMA to assist and assures the PR people there is at least 24 days of reserve fuel for the island.

All efforts are being focused on extinguishing the blaze, no investigation will be conducted until then. But they found some graffiti in a tunnel mentioning the explosion. Police do not know if it was there before or after the explosion.

My opinion is the timing of the explosion is rather suspect but it could have been easily been an accident

This is going off topic for the RCL forum, maybe this thread should be moved to Ports of Call?

There is a rather violent group in PR that acts up every once in a while, they are for the independence of PR.

Oh and thanks to the OP, I wouldn't have heard about this so early if it weren't for you.

Clinton and Eric Holder (current AG) were involved in pardoning a bunch of them.....

jc

Reuters picked up on it at 8:30 AM:

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN2391512

The title of this tread was possible plane crash. Reuters picked up an explosion. Not the same! personally I think this thread should be pulled because of the title. No point in alarming people.

What is you had friends or relatives on that flight??

The title of this tread was possible plane crash. Reuters picked up an explosion. Not the same! personally I think this thread should be pulled because of the title. No point in alarming people.

If you click on the link to the story,( in the OP post) then click on news, (under the red Q) there is an update to the story. Now they say it was a plane crash. However, they say it was a smaller plane and not the Spirit plane. They say AP is confirming it was a plane. I cannot find any AP link to that effect. They did apologize for the errors in the original story. But in the follow-up story, they (the inquisitor) reprinted the unedited original story.

the title of this tread was possible plane crash. Reuters picked up an explosion. Not the same! Personally i think this thread should be pulled because of the title. No point in alarming people.

agreed!

Archived