Spirit - "fact sheet"

meow!

Silversea has published on their website the Spirit's "fact sheet" http://www.silversea.com/uploadedFiles/Silversea_Content/www.silversea.com/Media_Center/FACT%20SHEET%20SILVER%20SPIRIT.pdf

The following points are most notable:

Unlike the Cloud/Wind and Shadow/Whisper, the Spirit's show lounge will be single tiered, no longer multi tiered. That will mean it will no longer be a true theatre, rather more like Oceania's R ships' cabaret style. We wonder how can they have "production shows" on this ship in the future. This is definitely a step down.

La Terrazza can seat only 204 for buffet breakfast and lunch, and that includes both indoors and outdoors for a maximum of 540 passengers. This compares with 226 seats for the Shadow/Whisper's maximum of 382 passengers. That is a decrease of 22 seats for an increase of 158 passengers, which will definitely create a bottle neck when the weather is bad and people have to sit inside. It will be imperative for them to simultaneously open the Supper Club next door as an extension, which will only add 58 seats, to a total of 262 seats (many of which are outside) in order to cope (or send overflow passengers to the non-buffet main restaurant).

The Panorama Lounge has only 74 seats, compared to the Shadow/Whisper's 170 seats, a decrease by more than a half despite the increase in passengers. However, since this lounge is hardly used, it may not matter as much.

The conference/card room plus library seat a total of 25, compared to the Shadow/Whisper's total of 64. While these rooms are not that heavily used, you will no longer be able to sit far from the others in seclusion, and may have to rub shoulders with fellow users.

Other public facilities, such as specialty dining, observation lounge, boutiques, spas, fitness centre and the various bars taken together remain roughly proportional. The whirlpools are doubled from 2 to 4, and launderettes more than doubled from 3 to 7.

For the Spirit to be comparable to the Shadow/Whisper in all aspects, it will have to be 40 ft longer in length (and corresponding increase in "space ratio") We don't know whether it is the decline in world economy that require such reductions for the newbuild, or the change of marine architect from Yran & Storbraaten to Giacomo Mortola (we guess it is Silversea rather than the architect who decides on the overall ship plan).

From what can be surmised from the internet to date, the Spirit will have larger, more modernistic (separate "mirrored" television in front of the bed in addition to the one in the sitting area) cabins, but reduced public spaces in the above mentioned areas. Whether overall this can be considered an improvement or a fall back remains to be seen. Those of you who will be on the ship to experience for yourselves in reality can let the rest of us on this board know in barely two months now. Whatever the case, we appreciate Silversea's honesty in publishing such detailed numbers and letting the whole world know!

I really don't see any of your issues as being a problem. On both Regent and SS I've seldom seen La Terraza/ La Verandah full at breakfast or lunch. Certainly, there are those occasions, but not on a regular basis. Since the Panorama Lounge has less seating, the dance floor is probably larger than Whisper/Shadow and we're for that. Don't do shows, so that's not an issue for us. I'm more concerned about the Bar. Really like the setup on Whisper/Shadow, but the location on Spirit may present some issues due to traffic flow. It remains to be seen whether having the majority of the public areas aft will be good or not so good. In high seas it may be a problem due to pich and roll. We're in 801 for the T/A and one of the reasons I asked for that is the nice large double balcony with the front porch area. The do have a mistake( among many ) on the website as to the size of the Grand suite balcony. They say 125 sq ft and it's at least twice that size. Let's just say that Spirit is different than Whisper/Shadow. It remains to be seen whether it's better or worse. I'll take better for now and will evaluate after our cruise.

Damn, know craig and I are miffed the Spirit fact sheet does not describe the length

of Jogging track on deck 10 (e.g., how many laps equal a mile)...no worries we will

experiment and report back.

Dear Colonel: By looking at the deck plans of the Spirit in the "2010 Voyages" and assuming all the drawings are proportional, the longest deck is 19 cm, representing the ship length of 642 ft. The jogging track on deck 10 at the stern is 2x5 + 2x2.5 = 15 cm representing 507 ft., and if as you say you can move the tables and chairs on the "pool complex mezzanine", you can add 2x3 cm representing an additional 257 ft.

So for the track by itself, it takes 5280/507 = 10.4 laps to the mile. Taking in the "extension", it takes 5280/(507+257) = 6.9 laps to the mile. These numbers are necessarily coarse approximations. Nonetheless, hope this helps .. meow!

Damn, know craig and I are miffed the Spirit fact sheet does not describe the length

of Jogging track on deck 10 (e.g., how many laps equal a mile)...no worries we will

experiment and report back.

Wow...My high school had about 2000 students and I was the only Craig on it. According to the Col., there will be ANOTHER, more athletic Craig on board! What are the odds?? :D

Meow -

Many thanks for all the informative details that you have posted from time to time. I just have to ask -- are you an engineer, accountant, or simply just interested in the details?

On the Shadow, it's 9 times around for one mile. If you increase the circuit by going up to deck 10 and running around the Observation Lounge, I estimate it would be on the order of 5.5 or 6. Of course, they ask you not to jog up on Deck 10, but you can certainly walk.

Meow -

Many thanks for all the informative details that you have posted from time to time.

Thank you kindly for your support. We are just one couple of ordinary cats and we need all the encouragement we can get to withstand the "difficulties" encountered in posting our messages. For the sake of public service, we will persevere and continue to regularly post numerical/technical analyses/comparisons on legitimate bonafide topics in a factual and unbiased manner.

Meow, this is legitimate for me since I've had surgery. About how many yards do you think it is from 606 to the elevator/stairs?

I am not worried yet about any of these sizes until I see the patterns of the people. I don't think behaviors will be totally like the other 4 ships since there are more options. they are saying the average age on Seabourn Odyssey went down due to some of the offerings, and that might be what happens on Spirit. I know as I get older (and I'm barely 48), I like to be waited on more. Not to say everyone loves that but some people like a more independent "stay anonymous" feel this bigger ship will offer. I can't wait to see what everything means.

I was fine with the existing cabins and only wanted a longer couch. I hear that has not been delivered, but I imagine that will be my only complaint even though I liked the two sinks. I'm rambling, but what I am saying is that we just don't know what this animal is going to be. Bigger dog? Cat vs. previous dog? I don't know.

From the aforementioned deck plan, suite 606 is 4.5 cm (corresponding to 152 ft or 51 yds) to the front set of elevators, but 9.5 cm (corresponding to 327 ft or 109 yds) to the rear set of elevators. We wish you speedy recovery, you have been so helpful to all on this board through the years.

You have made a valid point on the "pattern of people" on a larger ship. This can only be observed by someone actually on board. Hopefully you can tell us all on that when you board in a couple of months time.

From our feline guess, the new standard cabin will perhaps be a couple of feet longer (given the ship's beam is only 4.5 ft wider, to be split by the cabins on the two sides), and perhaps 3 inches wider (to come up with a total increase from 345 to 376 sq.ft.) So there should be slightly more space between the end of the bed and the wall (thus a full "width", albeit still "slender" make-up desk, compared to the Shadow/Whisper's curved make-up module). Where they will put the 2 ft increase in overall cabin length is harder to guess, perhaps 6 inches for the balcony (which increased from 58 to 65 sq.ft), leaving 1.5 ft to be shared by the bathroom, walk-in closet, sleeping and sitting areas. It should be physically possible to lengthen your couch by 6 or more inches, but whether Silversea chooses to do so remains to be seen .. you will soon find out.

The sink in the regular cabin has gone from double to single because the new styled European sink (which sits above the counter like a basin) takes up more space. It may look more fashionable, though not necessarily more practical.

As for cats and dogs, we are only one couple of ordinary cats. We are more than happy to meow with dogs too, such as those we met in the streets of Athens on our Greek Islands voyage last October, for example. They are all so tame, lying and sleeping in the middle of the street, and quite cute instead of frightening despite their size. We just hope we don't meet those pit bulls, which can be rather intimidating. Fortunately, there is usually good control by the authorities. We just stroll down public lanes, meowing to those who welcome our sight and enjoy meowing with us on topics of mutual interest .. meow!

Archived