It's Just Not Worth It

Woobstr112G

I'd like to mention an experience I went through while getting off the Ruby yesterday. When I put my cruise card in the box an alarm went off and I was ushered off the ship to a seperate customs area due to a large purchase I made while onboard. I wasn't in trouble or anything because I did declare it on my customs form. I just had to pay an extra $360.00 in duty. This is a reminder to those out there who might be thinking of not declaring their purchases made on board that it's just not worth it. While I did pay the extra duty the fine, according to the customs agent, would have been almost $3,000.

In a while I will be posting a complete review of the ship. I have also begun to upload pictures to my the flickr site. the link is in my signature.

Take Care All..............:):):)

Bob

Thanks for the info. On my last Princess cruise something similar happened to me and it was because I had a credit of $8 and change. I had already gotten my money the night before but apparently they never posted it. I was quite surprised when I put my card in the slot and the buzzer sounded. Looking forward to your review!

Good info to have, although you were wise enough to claim a ship purchase, I can't imagine how a person would think they could ...."get away with" not declaring a shipboard purchase.

While we were on the islands we heard sales people offering to mail the receipt home for some purchases. We never buy anything that puts us over our limit.

I don't recall anyone ever posting anything like this, of course I might of missed it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention though.

I too, would declare any purchases because it isn't worth the fine.

Sorry, I'm not with you on this. What declaration are you talking about, and where do you get the form from. Don't think I've ever had one?

Do you have to declare everything even the little stuff you buy on the ship like T-shirts, trinkets you buy at the gift shops and stuff you buy on the last night at the 50% off sale? I never thought that was important but guess since they do charge it to your account they have a listing of everything you buy.

How about when people buy jewelry and liquor on the islands? We never do but I have heard people saying just wear the jewelry home, how would they know if it was new or old. Again, I am referring to jewelry and things you buy at the ports not on the ship this time.

Thanks, Joyce

Do you have to declare everything even the little stuff you buy on the ship like T-shirts, trinkets you buy at the gift shops and stuff you buy on the last night at the 50% off sale? I never thought that was important but guess since they do charge it to your account they have a listing of everything you buy.

How about when people buy jewelry and liquor on the islands? We never do but I have heard people saying just wear the jewelry home, how would they know if it was new or old. Again, I am referring to jewelry and things you buy at the ports not on the ship this time.

Thanks, Joyce

Sometimes I think it depends upon the agent looking at the declaration slip. The last time I was somewhat detailed and I was told by the agent that since the value wasn't that high, I could have lumped a bunch of the small stuff into one or two categories.

But yeah, declare everything bought outside the USA.

Is this something that only applies to USA citizens? I've never seen this form for re-entry into the UK.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:I am a Canadian and just returned from Emerald Princess Transatlantic, disembarking in Fort Lauderdale. We were required to complete a US Customs/Immigration form which was given to us in the disembarkation package onboard and then handed in to the officer in the terminal- basically if you are flying directly out of FLL and you are not leaving any purchased items in the USA, there is a box to indicate that and of course if you are a US resident, you must declare all goods purchased whether or not they are simple souvenirs or fancy jewellery. If you choose to make it appear, a piece of jewellery was not purchased on the trip that is a personal choice, however, should you get caught you are going to be in some trouble - obviously dont do this if you purchased the jewellery either on board or with a credit card - authorities have a liason program with credit card companies for following up on these types of purchases. In my particular case we were flying FLL to Buffalo and then driving across the border to our residence in Canada - it was incumbant upon me to declare my purchases to Canadian authorities upon entry into Canada. An interesting item(s) perhaps is purchases of Art from the onboard Art program - for USA residents, apparently there is no duty or taxes regardless of the value. We made an Art purchase and the rules for Canadians are there is no duty and tax payable, however, there is a Goods & Service Tax(GST) payable - GST is unique to Canada and we will get a bill for this tax when we receive our artwork - in most cases the artwork is shipped by the cruise line to your residence. I am not sure what rules are in play for residents of other countries. The best policy with Customs is to be completely honest - if you are slightly over in alcohol amounts they usually don't bother you - they are looking for major "smuggling" ie individual item value of +$500.00 or several bottles/cartons of cigarettes over the allowable amount - they aren't looking for trivial items such as souvenirs. The best policy is "if you play with fire you will get burned" and most Customs Officials are "fire". One futher little hint - all advertising for St. Thomas says its the duty free capital - not really so - their liquor prices are usually the same as onboard as are many other goods - we compared onboard/St. Thomas prices for Lladro and they were exactly the same - when I pointed this out to the store clerk, she gave us a discount - why purchase at the same price on land and have to lug the goods back to the ship?? I know there are alot of folks out there who just have to shop in every Port and believe me all you have to do if you are the vendor is put up some sort of a sign that says 'S A L E" and you will see the buyers lined up - simple psychology to lure customers. Happy sailing and happy shopping.

Have been to the duty free capital of St. Thomas about 4 or 5 times now and there are no real bargains!!

14 Cruises completed and #15 booked on the Grand, January 29!!;);)

Do you have to declare everything even the little stuff you buy on the ship like T-shirts, trinkets you buy at the gift shops and stuff you buy on the last night at the 50% off sale?

Anything you buy on the ship is being bought out of the country. As such, it needs to be put on the customs form.

What's interesting about this is that it was the CRUISE CARD at disembarkation that triggered the alarm, not the declaration form at customs. Usually the card alarm is triggered only if money is owing to the ship.

So Bob, you're saying that the large amount of an on board purchase triggered the alarm?? I've never heard of such a thing. On the Tahitian Princess debarking in Papetee, I had made several pearl purchases on the ship and nothing happened. I wonder what the $$ cut off is for the alarm.

I'd like to mention an experience I went through while getting off the Ruby yesterday. When I put my cruise card in the box an alarm went off and I was ushered off the ship to a seperate customs area due to a large purchase I made while onboard. I wasn't in trouble or anything because I did declare it on my customs form. I just had to pay an extra $360.00 in duty. This is a reminder to those out there who might be thinking of not declaring their purchases made on board that it's just not worth it. While I did pay the extra duty the fine, according to the customs agent, would have been almost $3,000.

In a while I will be posting a complete review of the ship. I have also begun to upload pictures to my the flickr site. the link is in my signature.

Take Care All..............:):):)

Bob

I seem to be missing something here, what is this "putting your cruise card in the box" bit.

I know on my past cruises, anything that I have bought outside the country I had to declare on a US Customs form which I handed to a agent as I left the ship. Of course this was on another cruise line, and not Princess.

We have heard ( and correct me if I am misinformed) but it was stated that purchases made in St. Thomas didn't count against US residents duty free allowance. Perhaps that is the draw?

Here's my question: For Canadian citizens...if you are catching a flight right home...you have roughly a $750 per person per week. But what happens to people who aren't going directly home? Like snowbirds, who have condos in florida and will be staying a few extra days/weeks.

I spent a great deal of money at the Crown Princess jewelry store in June while we were on a British Isles cruise. The saleswoman there told me that the purchases were duty-free and stamped the receipts "U.S. Goods Returning". Do they only do this on the European cruises?

I seem to be missing something here, what is this "putting your cruise card in the box" bit.

I know on my past cruises, anything that I have bought outside the country I had to declare on a US Customs form which I handed to a agent as I left the ship. Of course this was on another cruise line, and not Princess.

When you disembark at the end of the cruise, you have to put your card into the machine at the gangway and get "bonged" out. That way they know who has left the ship and who has not. It also, it seems, alerts them to other things that may be going on with your account. And yes, anything bought aboard ship (and certain ports where the vendor asks for your cruise card!) is logged into a database and if it doesn't jibe with your customs form, they'll be looking for you (especially if it is a large purchase). Definitely be forewarned... as mentioned, the fine is pretty hefty!

We have heard ( and correct me if I am misinformed) but it was stated that purchases made in St. Thomas didn't count against US residents duty free allowance. Perhaps that is the draw?

Unless things have changed recently, you still have to pay duty on items purchased in St. Thomas. :mad:

There is a dollar amount difference on "Duty Free" between St.Thomas and anywhere else, but you still have to pay.

OK .... last year we bought T shirts on the ship that sailed out of FLL and a couple of watches as gifts for family, nowhere did we receive any paperwork to say that these things had to be declared as bought while on the hsip and our cards certainly didnt throw up any problems when leaving the ship! so maybe it is just for USA passengers!

Archived