"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Things I didn’t do on my first cruise that I will do on my next one:

1. Take a small daypack with a change of clothes, bathing suit and wine, plus your valuables on the first day – we were in and out of the Windjammer last cruise, and straight to the hot tubs. (I’m sure my kids will be dying to try the slides this time.)

2. Less shoes and clothes – I have an outfit for each day, plus a few extra t-shirts and a couple maxi-dresses. I’ll have one pair of sandals that will work with the dresses, some beach shoes and tennis shoes…and I’m good to go!

3. Bring something for formal night. This trip, my DH will bring a pair of dockers to wear to the MDR with some polos nightly, and a shirt and tie. (Still not sure about the jacket.) Surprisingly, my son wants to bring his suit – he loves formal night! I just got a lovely maxi dress off the rack at Kohl’s for $7 which will be my formal outfit. Shop those end-of-season sales (and Ebay!) for formal dresses at bargain prices.

4. Bathing suits – take at LEAST 2. They take forever to dry!

5. Try new things in the MDR! We are pretty informal people, so our MDR meals last time were just for the formal night, and a few lunches and breakfasts. What a wasted opportunity to try – and share! -- things we would never try at home. We tend to skip desserts – not very impressed, and I’d rather save my calories for an after-dinner drink.

6. MDR for lunch – The tutti salads are wonderful, and people flock to the WJ so the MDR can be much more relaxing.

7. Walk everywhere! We eat way too much on a cruise – that is a given. Avoid the elevators and walk -- it’s a free workout, and I can eat my meal (almost) guilt free. (More importantly, I don’t want to outgrow my close before the end of the week!)

8. Explore the whole ship – it was only the last few days that we ranged around and found some of the tucked-away bars, lounges, quiet decks. The ship has lot more to offer than just the Promenade.

9. Read the compass and highlight – there are so many activities, read it through first then highlight the things you REALLY want to do.

10. Take a container of disinfectant wipes – I have even found these in small travel packs. And whoever suggested a small deodorizer (and poo-pourri!) for the bathroom? Smart – they can get a little funky after a week, especially with teen boys and constant bathing suit drying! The small, clip-on deodorizers for cars work great.

11. Over-the-door shoe holder: Not for everyone, but I love to come into my space and feel like it’s organized and stuff is easy to find. This was a lifesaver on our first trip with four in a cabin!

12. Travel insurance: Again, as a family of four, we won’t travel without it. We had to cancel one trip when my mother passed away, and another when my son had an aneurysm. More than paid for itself. AND check your health coverage when traveling abroad!

13. Keep a cruise folder with all of your info handy. I have a cruise packing list and a checklist of what to do that starts about 3 months out. Also, did an estimated budget with excursions, etc. Once it’s done, you can just update it for other trips. I know some people like to do a ship schedule, but I enjoy my spontaneous naps and deck time too much.

14. Keep a journal with photos. I love the photo reviews that people contribute here.

I know many of these are mentioned, but it was nice writing them out to remind...myself! :)

Please describe, a binder clip.

Thank you Evelyn

Picture was provided above, but thought I'd add the rationale.

People use a binder clip to fasten onto the bottom of the shower curtain (on ships that have a curtain instead of a shower door) so that it is weighted down. Otherwise, as the warm air rises inside the shower, the curtain gets "sucked in" and sticks to your nekkid body.

Picture was provided above, but thought I'd add the rationale.

People use a binder clip to fasten onto the bottom of the shower curtain (on ships that have a curtain instead of a shower door) so that it is weighted down. Otherwise, as the warm air rises inside the shower, the curtain gets "sucked in" and sticks to your nekkid body.

I also use them to attach my towel to my pool chair. Makes me know I have a towel to stay sitting on.

Didn't see it upthread, but I always have a 220v European usb charger. At least on Carnival and Holland America it gives me an extra plug to charge out of.

Before each cruise My Wife asks me to assemble for her a "Soap On A Rope" to use in the shower. That way she does not have to play chase the soap as it slips off the small shelf in the shower.

To make it, I tie a monkey fist on the end of a section of Para cord with a 6 inch section hanging down from the fist. Then I make a loop of about 18 inches and weld that end to the short section. Next I drill a hole through a bar of soap. Run the loop through the hole and it is ready to hang in the shower.

Bob

Before each cruise My Wife asks me to assemble for her a "Soap On A Rope" to use in the shower. That way she does not have to play chase the soap as it slips off the small shelf in the shower.

To make it, I tie a monkey fist on the end of a section of Para cord with a 6 inch section hanging down from the fist. Then I make a loop of about 18 inches and weld that end to the short section. Next I drill a hole through a bar of soap. Run the loop through the hole and it is ready to hang in the shower.

Bob

Could you please explain this in layperson's English?

They like to get up to some fun stuff in the shower.

That's SO funny!!

I don't know if you still can, but when we used to go camping, we would BUY soap on a rope. It's a pretty good idea to have it-- but there is NO way I'm doing all that.

O.K. I hope this helps. A Monkey fist is just a big knot tied on the cord so the cord will not pull back through the hole drilled in the bar of soap.

Para cord will melt when hit with a flame. Holding the two ends together and then holding a flame under the joint will melt them together forming the loop. Then the loop is pushed up through the hole in the bar of soap with the knot underneath. Most showers have a small metal bar that is intended to hold things on the shelf. However, experience has taught us that most things, bar of soap, bottle of soap, etc will slip out. So, we loop the cord around the bar and let the cord with our bar of soap hang down. End of cruise, we just pull the cord out of the soap bar and toss it away.

Bob

O.K. I hope this helps. A Monkey fist is just a big knot tied on the cord so the cord will not pull back through the hole drilled in the bar of soap.

Para cord will melt when hit with a flame. Holding the two ends together and then holding a flame under the joint will melt them together forming the loop. Then the loop is pushed up through the hole in the bar of soap with the knot underneath. Most showers have a small metal bar that is intended to hold things on the shelf. However, experience has taught us that most things, bar of soap, bottle of soap, etc will slip out. So, we loop the cord around the bar and let the cord with our bar of soap hang down. End of cruise, we just pull the cord out of the soap bar and toss it away.

Bob

It is starting to make more sense; thanks !!

104 pages, so is that all? I kid, I kid! Started reading from page 1 to about 34 till I realized some of that stuff was old school (although I did make notes from some). Then skipped to page 54 to about 74, circa 2013 but that was still making my eyes dizzy from all the reading and noting. So finally skipped to page 94 to present. Holy cow! I have been schooled!

Over preparing? Perhaps but this coming from the same person that bought The Unofficial Guide to Disney World with over 800 pages for a 1 week trip. If I learned something from over preparing is that while people like my husband are waiting in long lines and having the "we'll see when we get there" attitude, I am the one knowing exactly what to do/not do. It's hard totally abandoning the same skills you use at work every day.

One last thing (kind of mentioned in different manner, orange scent spray) my neighbor is the inventor of this nifty toilet spray:

Poopourri

I have used it and NO poopy smell, I swear. So I'm taking a little bottle instead of a big bag of potpourri. 7 night cruise with 2 adults and 2 kids in 1 cabin, will report my findings upon completion, but hypothesis points toward no smell!

Over preparing? Perhaps but this coming from the same person that bought The Unofficial Guide to Disney World with over 800 pages for a 1 week trip. If I learned something from over preparing is that while people like my husband are waiting in long lines and having the "we'll see when we get there" attitude, I am the one knowing exactly what to do/not do. It's hard totally abandoning the same skills you use at work every day.

Love it!!!! I did exactly the same thing!!!! I would much rather be over prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it!!!! I did exactly the same thing!!!! I would much rather be over prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A frequent observation made all over the Cruise Critic message boards is that half the fun of cruising is the anticipation and planning for the cruise.

Last we always take travel and medical insurance. You cannot imagine what it cost to medivac my wife off one of our Alaskan Cruises with a gall bladder issue. It paid all the costs and for half the cruise and our First Class air fare from Alaska back to Seattle to catch our original flight back home. You just never know what will go on in a cruise

What company do you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with those who mentioned Sticky Notes. I'll add that I'd suggest buying the "extra-sticky" ones. I love that if I'm not using my cell phone or if the service is down, leaving a sticky note on a cabin door is the perfect way to let fellow travelers know where you are or what time you'd like to meet. The "extra sticky" ones work particularly well, and they also come in handy for reminders on a mirror (take vitamins!).

You can also use the house phones which are usually located near all the elevators, to call you friends or family cabin numbers and tell them where you are by leaving them a message on their cabin phone.

We always take the Spa tour and sign up for the drawings and then remember to go back at the designated time when they draw the winners, On 2 different cruises, someone in our party has won on of the giveaways, including a $200 spa credit!

The last cruise , my DH was used as the Male spa model , where they spent an hour doing a facial, shave, shoulder and scalp massage for FREE