Princess Wine Policy - My Experience

tcdcruiser

Boarded the Coral on 10/23 for a 15 day cruise with 8 bottles of wine - no problem. Boarded in Aruba with 5 bottles of wine - no problem. Boarded in Panama with 3 bottles - a problem.

I was directed to a crew member running the booze control desk, and was informed that only one bottle of wine per person could be boarded. I shared that the Princess contract made no such stipulation and asked to see a more senior crew member. The crew member then shared that I could take all 3 bottles to my stateroom - but should only drink 2 of the 3.

Why do they do this stuff?

Boarded the Coral on 10/23 for a 15 day cruise with 8 bottles of wine - no problem. Boarded in Aruba with 5 bottles of wine - no problem. Boarded in Panama with 3 bottles - a problem.

I was directed to a crew member running the booze control desk, and was informed that only one bottle of wine per person could be boarded. I shared that the Princess contract made no such stipulation and asked to see a more senior crew member. The crew member then shared that I could take all 3 bottles to my stateroom - but should only drink 2 of the 3.

You sure drink a lot of wine! :D

Silly. You should have handed 1 of the 3 bottles to your wife before entering the ship and they wouldn't have been any questions.

Where did you buy it in Panama?

At the top of the ramp to your right is a building. Inside that building are some shops and one of them is large, air conditioned and sells a variety of merchandise. Liquor, wine, perfumes, coffee, etc. That's where my DH bought his Kahlua in October and that's where he will buy his Kahlua again next month. I also bought a bag of their coffee ($4.50) after tasting it and it's pretty good. Made it this morning.

You can buy wine at the duty free shop next to the tender pier on the Causeway. Very easy.

At the top of the ramp to your right is a building. Inside that building are some shops and one of them is large, air conditioned and sells a variety of merchandise. Liquor, wine, perfumes, coffee, etc. That's where my DH bought his Kahlua in October and that's where he will buy his Kahlua again next month. I also bought a bag of their coffee ($4.50) after tasting it and it's pretty good. Made it this morning.

Thank you very much.

Did you check your wine with the porters to be delivered to your stateroom? We are planning on bringing a 6-bottle wine carrier on board for our upcoming cruise. We last cruised on Princess in 2007 and had no problem checking the box with our luggage. Hoping the same holds true in December.

Wine in Aruba at the La Bodega Wine Store located at Gutenbergstraat 4 in Aruba. It's about 3 blocks north of the main shopping area. Very good and surprising selection.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/aruba/S35204.html

Here's the google map link

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Gutenbergstraat+4&sll=12.52111,-69.968338&sspn=0.196737,0.362206&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gutenberg+Straat,+Oranjestad,+Aruba&z=16

I carried the wine aboard myself. I have cloth wine bags that hold 4 bottles each from my local winery (Rosemblum). They offer re-usable cloth bags as an alternative to boxes. All wine went through the x-ray via the main passenger entry area.

The crew member then shared that I could take all 3 bottles to my stateroom - but should only drink 2 of the 3.

That is hilarious!!! :D Did you promise? "Okay, officer, I'll only drink two of the three bottles." Did they come to your cabin to monitor your wine consumption? ;) Too funny!! :D

That just reminded me of what happened in Hawaii. At our first port, we bought a bottle of wine to take back on the ship. I was stopped at the gangway going through the security check. A security guard took my bottle of wine and asked me to follow him. As he was writing up a receipt (as he said I could not take it onboard even though I explained to him it was only wine), a senior security guard came by and asked him what he was doing. He showed her his list of things to confiscate and she started laughing and said "not wine.......... liquor, only liquor". And she handed me the bottle and waved me on.

Sometimes new security or staff get a little mixed up on what can and can not be carried onboard.

Are all the Panama shops duty free while the other stops are duty paid? Could that be the reason for the different procedure?

I see that although there is nothing in the contract about a limit to wine the Cruise Answer Book page 24 does restrict you to one bottle. Interesting.

I thought that it was $15 :confused:...but my memory is short

The last three Princess cruises we have been on, it has been $15

We can drink 1.5 bottles easy with special three courses dinners.....

Sadly at home sometimes, I will open a bottle of wine when making dinner throw a glass into whatever I am cooking, throw a glass or two into me while I am cooking dinner and OOPS...that bottle is over half gone.....time to open another for dinner :cool:

During a cruise, open a bottle of wine while getting ready for dinner (drink one or two glasses, open a new bottle every third day), go for dinner, bring a new bottle get charged corkage, there is 1.5 bottles already.

That said, for my fellow Canadian cruisers, Princess wine list is very reasonablely priced and we were able to buy bottles for a few dollars more then what we buy them for up here in BC liquor stores :eek:

Archived