Question about "Select" dining

Boo2

On our 2007 cruise on the Crown Princess, my husband and I tried their "Anytime Dining" option and really enjoyed it. When we got to the dining room every evening, we requested the largest table available and were seated at a table for 8 or 10; this way, we got to meet new dining companions every night.

So...on our RCI cruise last year on the Adventure of the Seas, we requested their "My Time Dining" option. When we got to the dining room on our first evening, they seated us at a table for two. We requested to be moved to a larger table and they didn't seem to understand what we were asking for. We explained to them how the dining had worked on the Crown Princess and they said that it would be no trouble to find others for us to dine with. To make a long story short, we ended up sitting alone at a table for eight while they looked for people who were willing to keep us company. It was uncomfortable and embarrassing so we switched to Traditional Dining for the remainder of the cruise.

It seemed that on the Crown Princess, most of the people who requested "Anytime Dining" were willing to eat with company while most of the people on the Adventure of the Seas chose "My Time Dining" because they wanted to eat alone.

Our next cruise is on the Equinox; it's our first cruise with Celebrity. I'd like to know how their "Select" dining works. Is it like Princess where you are seated at a large table with different companions every night or is it like RCI where it is mostly small tables for people who like to dine alone?

I'd really appreciate any replies from those of you who have experienced the "Select Dining".

Thanks!

You can request to be seated at a large table (a la Princess) or you can request a table for 2. Be forewarned that the tables for 2 are very close together, for the most part, and it is almost like being seated with the neighboring parties. However, unless you're outgoing and make the first move, most people will try to maintain their privacy.

You can request to be seated at a large table (a la Princess) or you can request a table for 2. Be forewarned that the tables for 2 are very close together, for the most part, and it is almost like being seated with the neighboring parties. However, unless you're outgoing and make the first move, most people will try to maintain their privacy.

Thanks for your reply, Lovespositano.

Does anyone else have experience with "Select" dining on Equinox?

Thanks for your reply, Lovespositano.

Does anyone else have experience with "Select" dining on Equinox?

I will be doing Select Dining next week for the very first time.

It is only a 4 nighter so I thought it might be a good way for me

to see how it works:) and I will probably only be eating in the main

dining room once;)

Normally as a solo cruiser I always prefer traditional dining so we shall

see how this goes.....Murano's one night, hopefully Tuscan Grill one night

too:D.....should be fun that is for sure!

Select dining on Celebrity is not anytime dining as you might see on other lines. Celebrity's written policy is that you have to make a reservation for each night you wish to dine. Theoretically, you are not supposed to walk in and be able to sit down and eat. However, some posters have reported back that you can walk in and eat. How long this will last is anyones guess so just be advised...

Select dining on Celebrity is not anytime dining as you might see on other lines. Celebrity's written policy is that you have to make a reservation for each night you wish to dine. Theoretically, you are not supposed to walk in and be able to sit down and eat. However, some posters have reported back that you can walk in and eat. How long this will last is anyones guess so just be advised...

Interesting. Waas curious of whar exactly Celebrity "Select" dining was all about.....

Bob

With respect, Don, you do not HAVE to make a reservation, but reservations are strongly recommended. However, they will accept walk-in guests.

The language from Celebrity's website is:

What is Celebrity Select Dining?

Subject: Celebrity Select Dining

Celebrity Select Dining is Celebrity Cruises' flexible dining option which offers an industry first "in advance" day by day reservation option that will you the opportunity to make dinner reservations for your desired dining time up to 4 days prior to boarding for each day of your cruise vacation. If you choose not to make reservations, you'll be able to come to dinner at any point between 6:00 and 9:30pm. We strongly encourage reservations, however, to ensure the best service and to avoid any potential wait times.

Archived