size of carry on luggage-to big?

michellejed

I checked with SW for the size of carry on luggage allowed and it is 24x16x12, most carry ons listed for sale on the Internet are only about 20 or 21 inches.

Is the 24 inch too big really? I am trying to avoid additional luggage and just pack the carry on and large purse/bag and a 21 inch is just too small for me.

Also if I have a garment bag and a wheeled carry on, would I be allowed a purse/bag?

Do they have room to hang my garment bag?

Thanks so much for any answers.

Michelle J

I checked with SW for the size of carry on luggage allowed and it is 24x16x12, most carry ons listed for sale on the Internet are only about 20 or 21 inches.

Is the 24 inch too big really? I am trying to avoid additional luggage and just pack the carry on and large purse/bag and a 21 inch is just too small for me.

If Southwest permits 24x16x12, why would you think 24" is too big? If you are trying to avoid additional luggage, you should pack the biggest suitcase you are allowed! (even though most other airlines only permit 21" suitcases which is why most of the carry-ons listed for sale are that size). Of course, Southwest allows free checked luggage...not sure if you are aware of that. If you are willing to check bags, you can pack plenty!!

Also if I have a garment bag and a wheeled carry on, would I be allowed a purse/bag?

"Official" policy is that if you have a garment bag and a wheeled carry on, another purse/bag is not allowed. Your experience will vary based on the individual employee at the gate who may or may not make you check something. If it is a small purse, they might overlook it, but a larger handbag would most likely be noticed...if you have any extra room in your suitcase, you might be able to put your purse in the suitcase until you get on the plane, when you could then take it out again.

Agree, if they state 24" is o.k., you should be fine.

I flew through several airports over the last few days and they were very, very strict about the one carryon and one personal item policy. One person, for example, had a rollerbag, purse and shopping bag, and she had to gate check her rollerbag.

Unless you are traveling in first, and even then on some planes that's not possible, there is usually no place to hang a garment bag.

You will be over your carryon allowance with what you want to take. Don't be a bin hog; check the bag.

Do they have room to hang my garment bag?

Thanks so much for any answers.

Michelle J

Trying to have three carry-ons probably isn't going to cut it with the airline (garment Bag, Wheeled, purse). Also, buying a 24" carryon bag is probably not a wise investment, given most airlines limit it to 22". Given you're flying WN, I would just check the 24" bag, it's free.

Note that the 24 inch dimension is way beyond what most other airlines will let you take aboard. So if your only flights will be on WN, then go ahead. Otherwise, you may have a useless "carryon".

Why not check this bag on WN....no fee for that, at least for now.

I use a 21 inch roller board designed for carry on. Does not matter if it is a four day business trip or a month long vacation/cruise. I like taking it with me...that way it won't get lost. Easily fits into normal Boeing, older MD, and Airbus 319/20/21 etc overheads without having to lie it sideways and take up room from others.

The TSA folks won't let you take an over-sized suitcase through the checkpoint and will send you back to check such a large bag.

That could mean waiting in lines more than you want to do or have time to do.

Op doesn't have an oversized bag; 24 inches is fine to get through the checkpoint; I've done it many times at many different airports. She just wants to take on too many pieces; what are essentially two bags and one personal item. Won't be allowed.

Try a travel vest, a nerd coat such as Scottvest, or a shooting jacket with capacious pockets to top up your space. Failing that I suppose wearing spare underwear on one's head could save some space and would probably get you the bonus of a row of seats to yourself!

New salt

Check the following link: http://thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/airlinecarryonluggageallowances.htm

Airline imposed restrictions on "free" checked baggage have caused too many of us to try and get away with oversized carry-on luggage. While I don't have sympathy with airline gauging, good manners argue for compliance with the 22" / 14" / 9" dimension rule. Only so much bin and under seat capacity exists for all the passengers.

Cruise dress requirements add to the problem and the move toward "smart casual" seems appropriate for many travelers.

Yes, smart casual is a big part of the answer of how to manage luggage for cruises. My husband swears he will never again take a tux and all that goes with it on a cruise. He has decided never to travel on Crystal again unless their dress code is changed.

I don't blame him.

We have no one to help us with baggage going to the airport and don't want to pay for extra luggage charges.

Yes, smart casual is a big part of the answer of how to manage luggage for cruises.
But another part is learning how to pack, and having the self-confidence to decide what you actually need to take and to distinguish that from "security blanket". Yet again, we were completely amazed last week by the amount of luggage that so many people took for a 7-day cruise. You would think that they were moving house rather than just travelling for a week.

We packed for a formal night, including a dinner suit, evening dress and everything that goes with them. We each checked-in one bag weighing just under 50 lbs. (That's just what they happened to weigh. Our free baggage allowance was 2 bags at 70 lbs each.) And we both still had clothes in our bags that we didn't wear during the week.

That all is true, but my husband is not allowed to lift at all and I can't do more than 35 pounds these days. There is no way I can get a 50 pound bag into the car. I have taken to putting the suitcases into the car and packing them there and letting the sky cap at the airport unload them.... if one shows up.

Yes, learning to buy luggage and to pack for this issue is an interesting objective.

One thing I have learned is to keep an eye out for other folks who are having trouble opening doors and such to get into airports and hotels. Sadly I've seen many older people trying to board planes and trains in the UK and in Europe with much too much luggage. We all need to read up on the rules and to plan how much extra luggage we can manage on our own and pay for when we check it at the airport.

You can't argue with an airline that has baggages fees...and win.

Archived