Noro virus

shipper

If you were on a "sick ship", DCL would be required to report it to the CDC under the rules for the vessel Inspection program. The list is here:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

It takes a while to get the list updated. If there weren't enough illnesses to reach the reporting threshold of 2% of passengers and crew, there's little chance that you'll get that info out of the cruise line.

Ok now that is scaring me. We start on cruise on the Wonder on Dec 1st. :(

I wouldn't worry about it. DCL hasn't had a sick ship since the Disney Magic reported in 2002.

I WOULD worry about cruising on Holland America though. The CDC list is full of their ships.

If you research Noro virus, it isn't going to stay on the ship. Whoever brought it on(can't really develop on the ship), took it home with them.

Norovirus is fairly resilient on surfaces at room temperature and even in clorinated pools. It can easily survive as contamination for the few hours from the time the last passenger leaves until the first passenger of the next cruise arrives. In addition, a crewmember can carry it between cruises.

How do you know if they are even keeping track? I did not see a Dr. I spoke to a medical person on the phone and she asked me a few questions but that was it.

I have cruised with Holland America and basically all of the major cruise lines and this was the first time that I have gotten the bug. I was well aware of it and I am a hand washer. Disney makes sure that there is an attendant at the beginning of every food line handing out wipes.

I have been home for five days and I am finally eating.

How do you know if they are even keeping track? I did not see a Dr. I spoke to a medical person on the phone and she asked me a few questions but that was it.

I have cruised with Holland America and basically all of the major cruise lines and this was the first time that I have gotten the bug. I was well aware of it and I am a hand washer. Disney makes sure that there is an attendant at the beginning of every food line handing out wipes.

I have been home for five days and I am finally eating.

I'm sorry you got sick with the Noro and I am happy to see your recovering from the illness. Thank you for letting us know about the Noro. I really appreciate it since we board the Wonder on 12/3.

Cindy

Please keep this in perspective about norovirus. You can get it anywhere, hotel, airplane, cruise ship, public bathroom, rental car, at home etc. I currently have it and just got back from a cruise but I don't know if I got it on the ship.

45 million Americans get Norovirus every year and some 5000 get it on cruise ships....Don't panic, just wash your hands and use COMMON SENSE.

I often get sick towards the end of or after a long vacation, probably a mixture of partying to hard and small quarters of the ship. What's the difference between the Noro Virus and a really bad hangover? :p

I had Norovirus about 10 years ago. I "thought" it was a really bad hangover at first--we had been out the night before. Then my husband pointed out that you don't get a fever with a hangover. Two days later I was good as new. I have no idea where I picked it up, but it was most likely at work.

I just returned from a four day cruise on the Wonder, I came down with the noro virus on day 3, how do I find out if many people were sick on this cruise?

Just curious why does it matter how many people were sick with noro virus? One time on the second to last day of a 7 day cruise, I came down with a serious cold. I kept to my cabin and it didn't occur to me to ask how many people got a cold on that cruise.

Just curious why does it matter how many people were sick with noro virus? One time on the second to last day of a 7 day cruise, I came down with a serious cold. I kept to my cabin and it didn't occur to me to ask how many people got a cold on that cruise.

And who is to say they got it on the ship, perhaps they got it prior to the cruise, also asking for the stateroom doesn't make a lot of sense...

Norovirus symptoms usually begin 24-48 hours after exposure. So it is possible that it was picked up onboard. It's also possible it was picked up prior to boarding or during a shore excursion. It all depends on when the symptoms began.

Norovirus symptoms usually begin 24-48 hours after exposure. So it is possible that it was picked up onboard. It's also possible it was picked up prior to boarding or during a shore excursion. It all depends on when the symptoms began.

The ship also makes port stops....

Archived