How to Go from Pt Everglades to Miami Airport

gemz

What is the most cost effective way to get from Port Everlades to the Miami airport for 4 adults? Should I rent a car from Budget (I heard Budget is the only one that has no drop off fee) by catching the free Budget shuttle at the Pier to their rental location on 17th St which I hear is not too far from Port Everglades and then drive to the Miami airport or would it be the equivalent cost if I took a cab or shuttle to Miami? Thank you!

What is the most cost effective way to get from Port Everlades to the Miami airport for 4 adults? Should I rent a car from Budget (I heard Budget is the only one that has no drop off fee) by catching the free Budget shuttle at the Pier to their rental location on 17th St which I hear is not too far from Port Everglades and then drive to the Miami airport or would it be the equivalent cost if I took a cab or shuttle to Miami? Thank you!
I looked into this for after our upcoming Coral Princess cruise. There are no direct flights between FLL and LAX and there's absolutely no freaking way we want to stop in Dallas or Chicago in January, so we booked from MIA to LAX. I checked private limo services and got a couple of quotes. They were in the $75 - $80 range, plus tip. I didn't look into the shared van ride because we didn't want to be stuffed in a crowded van. We finally just booked the ship's transfer for $19/pp. Our flight isn't until almost 2pm so we can relax and not rush off the ship.

If the ship shuttle is only $19, then I would do that. A taxi would cost a minimum of $60 and you are not going to get four people and luggage into a taxi. If you have the time, just take the bus.
I just bought them a week ago and yes, the ship's transfers from Port Everglades to MIA are $19/pp. As you point out, you'd really need two taxis for four people because of the luggage.

Thank you everyone for such a quick reply! I will definitely take your suggestion of the shuttle which is worry free. Now I can sleep tonight without worrying how to get the 4 of us over to the Miami airport. We typically do fly out of Ft. Lauderdale but the flights were a little cheaper out of Miami and I thought, geez it's only a 1/2 hr further but I forgot that it will cost me a little bit more to travel back over to Miami. Anyhow, $19/person is not that much more than going to FLL airport. Thank you again for all your help.

We used SAS transportation http://www.ridesas.com (recommended from the thread Port of Call - United States - Florida Departure) from Fort Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami and return. They charged $15 per person each way. You have to prebook. You call once we arrived at the airport and again on our return and van was there to pick us up.

The Princess transfers are good as long as you are not in a hurry. On 14th November, we sat for more than 45 minutes, waiting for the bus to fill up before we could leave the port.

Luckily we had plenty of time.

Although it is not as bad as it used to be, the state no longer uses a particular license plate for rentals, it is dangerous getting to the airport if you don't know the area or haven't driven the area before. You will drive through two "hoods" coming south on I-95 and another going west on FL836. Since there are economical alternatives to renting a car, I highly recommend avoiding the rental car route.

Glenn:cool:

Although it is not as bad as it used to be, the state no longer uses a particular license plate for rentals, it is dangerous getting to the airport if you don't know the area or haven't driven the area before. You will drive through two "hoods" coming south on I-95 and another going west on FL836. Since there are economical alternatives to renting a car, I highly recommend avoiding the rental car route.

Are you kidding? What "hoods?" You are on the interstate all the way. Where's the danger? Guess every area in Colorado is safe, huh?

Are you kidding? What "hoods?" You are on the interstate all the way. Where's the danger? Guess every area in Colorado is safe, huh?

The danger has been when tourists miss an exit and get off at the wrong exit. There is the case of German tourists taking the wrong exit and being mugged so badly they spent 2 weeks in the hospital. When there was still a west bound toll booth at 11th Avenue, an off duty police woman stopped to deal with two men who had a fender bender and were arguing: she was shot in the chest for her trouble. I personally have been threatened by punks waving chromeplated revolvers at me while on I-95.

Colorado does not have any cruiseports.

My husband and I used to live in San Diego so we would fly into Ft. Lauderdale in lieu of Miami most of the time. (We are actually going on Emerald Princess this Sunday where we fly into FLL but stay in Miami Beach and then cruise out of FLL).

Last time we rented a car from Enterprise in Ft. Lauderdale and dropped it off at a location (I think) on 2nd St? and they shuttled us to the port of Miami. We did that because we were staying in Miami for a couple nights beforehand.

We've also taken the "limo" - the black large cabs and they are about $70 each way plus tip. I think you could SQUEEZE 4 if you are light packers. We had 3 when we did it and medium amount of bags (one large back each plus 1 carryon each). Anyway, you don't need two cabs - the people at the airport organize what cab you will be on depending on how much luggage and how many people. My husband and I often find another couple going the same direction and share.

I hate taking the cruise shuttles because you have to wait around for them but it might be the most convient for you in this case. It's probably even $ with taking a cab.

Lastly, if you have a late flight (3 or 4 PM - call Princess), if you book a tour they will drop you at the airport. We did that on Freedom of the Seas in Oct 2006 to see the Everglades, which we had always missed before.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't rent a car just to get from the airport to the port unless you are staying a night or so and want to go somewhere. Also, check out what the hotel charges for parking fees if you do so (ours is $18 a night).

Have a fun trip!

Also, don't listen to people that use "scare" tactics - they obviously have other motives - crazy. Miami is SAFER THAN DENVER - I went to College in CO. Miami is fine, the roads are so well marked it is almost impossible to get lost, plus since there isnt any foilage you can see where you are going.

I should add, when renting the car I used Enterprise because they were the only ones that would include a shuttle to the port of Miami without returning to the Miami airport. Most of the other rental companies wanted me to bring the car to Miami airpport. Enterprise let me pick it up in FLL and drop it off near the port of Miami where they had a shuttle - no going to Miami Airport.

(I think it was near Hyatt Regency on 2nd Street which is close to Bayside Marketplace where they have the shuttle. I'm sure the Enterpise at Hyatt knows which location does it.)

I looked into this for after our upcoming Coral Princess cruise. There are no direct flights between FLL and LAX and there's absolutely no freaking way we want to stop in Dallas or Chicago in January, so we booked from MIA to LAX. I checked private limo services and got a couple of quotes. They were in the $75 - $80 range, plus tip. I didn't look into the shared van ride because we didn't want to be stuffed in a crowded van. We finally just booked the ship's transfer for $19/pp. Our flight isn't until almost 2pm so we can relax and not rush off the ship.

SAS Transport is great! Only $15 pp

• 1 month later...

I was excited to read the earlier messages that actually dealt with the question of how to get from FLL/Port Everglades to MIA which recommended SAS Transportation. I inquired yesterday about their service and received an email saying they are servicing Miami Beach, South Beach and downtown Miami from FLL and they "are not servicing the Miami Airport at all at the present time until further notice."

I too am flying in and out of Miami but our cruise is from Ft. L cruise port. DH and I have a rental car for the inbound leg of the trip since we are coming in a day early. Return from Ft. L port to Miami airport I was planning to use super shuttle - I did not book the princess transfers since I thought you had to use it both ways. My cruise is coming up in Jan. - is it too late to arrange princess transfer for the last leg of the trip? The web says call my travel agent. Can I call Princess instead?

Thanks for any help.

Archived