Looks like they are cutting back Free laudry for Platinum

scperk

As more and more VIPs for priority boarding show up it won't matter if your Platinum. You will just be in another line. CCl has a new person in charge of Platinum perks for about 4 months with a promise of things changeing looks like its starting.

I appreciate the laundry more than any other Platinum perk. We mainly use it for tees, shorts, underwear and socks - nothing that we're worried about being ruined in an industrial machine. I'd hate to see the benefit become so limited it's hardly worthwhile - you really can't fit a lot in those bags. Before Platinum, we would take a sea day morning to run back and forth between our cabin and the self-serve laundry, moving clothes between machines and plunking quarters into the machines. I would rather be doing something else, but if we're flying in for a cruise (which usually requires an additional day or two of clothes) I'd rather do laundry mid-cruise than deal with more suitcases to take on airplanes.

Of course, as long as we keep bringing the kids (they're Platinum too), we'll get four bags of laundry per cruise.:D

Dennis - Hope you enjoy the Canal cruise! We'd love to do one of those, but the timing's always wrong for us.

Laundry and VIP boarding are the only perks we are interested in having. The snacks delivered through room service we don't care anything about.....if it was the chocolate covered strawberries we would love it! The laundry sure makes it nice for the b2b cruises too! :)

Happy washing on the ship! :rolleyes:

Kat

Laundry and VIP boarding are the only perks we are interested in having. The snacks delivered through room service we don't care anything about.....if it was the chocolate covered strawberries we would love it! The laundry sure makes it nice for the b2b cruises too! :)

Happy washing on the ship! :rolleyes:

Kat

I agree laundry and vip boarding are the two best ones. Hopefully this is an experiment and will not go fleetwide.

I'm with you NCTribeFan (and I have a husband). You couldn't pay me to send any of my clothes to be washed in an industrial machine with other people's clothes in little mesh bags. Ewwww...:eek: When it comes back, it looks like you slept in it, took it off wet and wadded it up and then slept in it again. I wouldn't miss a limitation on this perk a bit.

We just sailed NCL and worried about not even having self-service laundry. Turns out it wasn't an issue and we had an entire suitcase of clean clothes that came home with us. We were gone 8 days and had one suitcase each. Overpackers anonymous is where we're headed. :)

Boarding and the Concierge line at the Info desk are my favorite perks. Wish they'd get it together on the tendering and debarkation. Those could be great perks if done correctly.

They have laudries on board, so don't see the problem. It's $2 for the soap and $2 for the dryer. Bring your own soap, don't see the problem. Since I never use dryer, I always wash them in the afternoon and most of the times they are dry in the morning.

I do see a problem- with new restrictions on luggage, we need one or two trips to the laundramat. We liked the plat benefit for the time it saved. In the past, here's our experience with laundramat:

1) scout out the 'mats- which ones have open machines? Often, they are full, or people just leave their clothes in a machine.

2) Found a machine? Rush your plastic garbage bags of your dirty clothes up there, make sure machine is not broken! Whip out that roll of quarters, run load, come back whenever.

3) Whip the clothes into the dryer- clean both lint screens (one in machine and the one in the wall that no one knows about. Some machines work well, some don't as we have had to hang stuff in our cabin. Also, the machines are small, small, small! Hang around, lest you run the risk of someone messing with your stuff.

All of this can can take an hour and a half of valuable cruise time away from you. We did laundry three time last summer. They gave us several bags (enough for all of our laundry the first night. Why did we have dirty clothes so soon? We just spent a week at Disney World. We did a little laundry again mid cruise and again so that, well, we don't like to pack filthy, stinky clothes in our suitcase! No, we didn't bring sheets, blankets etc, just for free cleaning!

The free laundry is the one perk we like most. Most of the plat stuff is just junk, like the food that is left in your room, the piece of stationary,the picture frame. If they want to limit it, make it one bag per cabin per day or something.We are doing an eight day cruise this month and three of of four cruisers (in the same cabin, family are platinum and I don't think we should be limited to one bag for the whole cruise.

Wish they'd get it together on the tendering and debarkation. Those could be great perks if done correctly.

Those are the best perks IMO and we never had a problem with either....actually never had a problem with laundry coming back wet wadded up or looked like we slept in it either.........

actually never had a problem with laundry coming back wet wadded up or looked like we slept in it either.........

Our laundry came back just fine - the socks were even matched! At home I let the boys fend for themselves when it comes to socks.:p

As I understand it, neither Carnival Splendor nor Carnival Dream have sufficient self-laundry rooms. 3 per ship for thousands of passengers to share.

I did read that Carnival Dream has increased the cost of those machines to $3 per load (washer or dryer) instead of $2 - a 50% increase?

If there is only one Platinum cruiser in a cabin, yet 6 different sizes of clothes, and even more genders, it should be easy to figure out and charge the cheaters?

Silly question - will be platinum in Jan- was very excited about the free washing- if we are allowed only one bag- will white and colors be seperated or am I better off limiting it to one or the other?

I just heard from John Heald on this... It's a one time only thing. He's going to expand on his blog this afternoon but he asked me to get that out...

:)

Ok, Am I missing the mud wrestling contests that people need to have clothes washed everyday? LOL!

Dennis,

Just buy some more undies (hehehe)....We have a lot of sea days on that cruise. You won't be getting that dirty, will you? hahahaha. And that's 1 bag for you and 1 bag for your wife. Personally, I don't like anybody doing my laundry but me...I am very picky. But that's because I don't put a lot of things in the dryer. And the whole thing about a stranger touching my panties...LOL!!

I just heard from John Heald on this... It's a one time only thing. He's going to expand on his blog this afternoon but he asked me to get that out...

If you get a chance, please ask him if they will be doing more platinum only cocktail parties like what was reported on the last sailing of the Holiday.:)

This was on a letter that was given to the Platinum cruisers on the 12/3 dream cruise ......I doubt that the letter was a rumor....Dennis

Just a thought ..maybe it is just on the Dream because there are more passengers than any other ship?:confused:

Its like anything, if you abuse the perk like some do on here, they will cut back. You only need a few on here to ruin it for everyone else.. I mean, we all known Carnival is looking for a reason, and some are giving them just that.

I just read a post on the 12/3/09 Dream roll call and someone mentioned that they had a letter in their room that stated that they only get one bag of laundry free per Platinum cruiser...Are they going to start taking things away from their most fequent cruisers because there are so many that are platinum now......:(......Dennis

I'm not worried about the laundry. We have never sent out more than one bag per cruise anyway. The iced tea doesn't worry me either,,,,but WHERE THE HEll IS MY RED PUNCH?????????

"SKY"

Red Punch is gone because they could not keep up with the mess of kids spilling it all the time.

Its like anything, if you abuse the perk like some do on here, they will cut back. You only need a few on here to ruin it for everyone else.. I mean, we all known Carnival is looking for a reason, and some are giving them just that.

It is laundry how much can it be abused......

John's input on the blog today:

. The subject of Platinum laundry benefits came up as well. This is because this voyage we have 600 Platinum cruisers and as you know they get free laundry service. Now usually we have 50 0r so Platinum guests so free laundry is never a problem. However 600 bags or if they do 2 bags……..1200 bags is a huge task to get back the same day or even the next day. And so we asked guests this voyage to see if they can manage with one bag per cabin and everyone has been most understanding.

Obviously, if someone has more than one bag we will not say no.

Yet the question was that apparently someone on Cruise Critic had posted that this was a fleetwide policy for each and every cruise and indeed Host Mach from Cruise Critic wrote to me saying that was a posting stating this.

Nope………………yet again……………….total bollocks……………it is this ship and this cruise only and if anyone asks for an extra bag we will honour that request. It just means that my underwear won’t get washed which is no big deal………………………………………….. as Heidi can do them in 8 days time.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/12/04/pa-007-vs-the-royal-champions-at-cinemas-this-christmas/#respond

So, there you have it... I suspect that the instance that prompted all of this was the same situation but we now know that it is NOT fleet wide... end of story.

:)

Archived