Looks like they are cutting back Free laudry for Platinum

scperk

They told me about this on the Elation in October. We thought it was a mistake. They told me one bag per day. After asking them to check on it since we had 3 bags our steward came back and said they were slow and would take care of it for us. Again, we thought and hoped it was an error. Guess not. That doesn't make me happy.

Also, I've missed it. Are they taking away iced tea or something?

John's input on the blog today:

. The subject of Platinum laundry benefits came up as well. This is because this voyage we have 600 Platinum cruisers and as you know they get free laundry service. Now usually we have 50 0r so Platinum guests so free laundry is never a problem. However 600 bags or if they do 2 bags……..1200 bags is a huge task to get back the same day or even the next day. And so we asked guests this voyage to see if they can manage with one bag per cabin and everyone has been most understanding.

Obviously, if someone has more than one bag we will not say no.

Yet the question was that apparently someone on Cruise Critic had posted that this was a fleetwide policy for each and every cruise and indeed Host Mach from Cruise Critic wrote to me saying that was a posting stating this.

Nope………………yet again……………….total bollocks……………it is this ship and this cruise only and if anyone asks for an extra bag we will honour that request. It just means that my underwear won’t get washed which is no big deal………………………………………….. as Heidi can do them in 8 days time.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/12/04/pa-007-vs-the-royal-champions-at-cinemas-this-christmas/#respond

So, there you have it... I suspect that the instance that prompted all of this was the same situation but we now know that it is NOT fleet wide... end of story.

:)

I wondered if this was a one time thing because of how many Platinum were on board..Glad to hear this as I understand there are only 3 laundry rooms on the Dream......I don't get every thing washed but it's such a problem with the airlines charging for baggage now I've changed what I pack now....:)......Dennis

Sounds like Carnival has some internal miscommunication somewhere. I hope John is right. Our Oct.9 sailing was not busy, to say the least.

Perhaps it wasn't the number of passengers but the number of passengers who were Platinum...

:)

I'd expect that John is right...

As I understand it, neither Carnival Splendor nor Carnival Dream have sufficient self-laundry rooms. 3 per ship for thousands of passengers to share.

I did read that Carnival Dream has increased the cost of those machines to $3 per load (washer or dryer) instead of $2 - a 50% increase?

If there is only one Platinum cruiser in a cabin, yet 6 different sizes of clothes, and even more genders, it should be easy to figure out and charge the cheaters?

The price was $3 each on the Valor in June as well.

• 1 month later...
I just read a post on the 12/3/09 Dream roll call and someone mentioned that they had a letter in their room that stated that they only get one bag of laundry free per Platinum cruiser...Are they going to start taking things away from their most fequent cruisers because there are so many that are platinum now......:(......Dennis

Not true, there were so many platinums on the cruise we were asked to take no more than one, but when asked we were never refused.

We were on the Dream 1/2-1/9 and were given the one laundry bag letter. I do think this is now the policy, perhaps only on Dream. My husband asked our cabin steward about it and he said that we can give him more than that, but that's what the letter said.

My husband has a tendency to wear his favorite clothes all the time. Even though I pack more than enough clothes for us for a week, he still wants to wear the favorites. He sent his things out once, midweek I think, and didn't do any more.

I think, being Platinum, that if we were flying to the port, I would not be a happy camper to find out that we could only send 1 bag for the week. I don't really know what the policy is as John Heald said it was a 1 time thing and it seems as though it's not.!

They have laudries on board, so don't see the problem. It's $2 for the soap and $2 for the dryer. Bring your own soap, don't see the problem. Since I never use dryer, I always wash them in the afternoon and most of the times they are dry in the morning.

it has gone to 3.00 per load. anyway with a huge ship full of platium cruiser's the laundry room of 3 washer's and 3 drier's per floor could be a jungle.

Not true, there were so many platinums on the cruise we were asked to take no more than one, but when asked we were never refused.

LOL...this post has been resserected from the dead...It was only a one time thing on the Dec, 3rd sailing of the Dream when there was 600 platinum members on board.....Dennis

Archived