Brilliance - Late disembarkation on offer (at a price)

FYI - On 18 November sailing guests with late flights were offered the option of late disembarkation.

The deal was

* remain in stateroom until 9:00am

* remain on ship thereafter and disembark no later than 4:00pm

* safe storage of checked and carry-on baggage

* breakfast and lunch in Windjammer

* full use of usual onboard facilities

The cost was

* $35.00 per person.

Numbers were obviously restricted and accordingly acceptance was on a first come first served basis.

Not sure if this option will be offered as a matter of policy in future or if it is only for a trial period.

I remember reading about this option a while back and my first reaction was No Way would I spend $35 pp for the option of staying later on the ship. However, in thinking back to a cruise we took out of San Juan, we had a 6 p.m. flight home and therefore had the whole day to kill. So we booked an excursion to the rain forest, and the bus dropped us back at the airport at the conclusion of the tour. I'm sure we paid more than $35 pp for the excursion, and if I had the option of staying on the ship and enjoying the facilities there, I might have done it.

As always, it is good to have options.

Karen

This would be a wonderful option on the Alaskan cruises. I would book in a minute if I could be assured that this option would be offered in Alaska. We have had the fun of sitting in the airport all day for a late departure. And many times you simply cannot get a early afternoon flight out, especially in Alaska. Who wouldn't book an early afternoon or late morning flight home if it were available?

Karon

I would have to have the use of my cabin, tho....sitting at the pool is fine, but do you then want to head to the plane, suntan oil and all?

Just book an early flight!!!!

But you could use the shower facilities in the gym and you would

probably have a carry on with you with your toiletries, etc. It sounds

like a good option if you plan properly.

Sounds good to me!

Now I just have to hope that RCI thinks it's a good idea too! We have a train to catch home after our next cruise, Venice train station is just a short stroll from port ... unfortunately our train doesn't leave until the early evening so relaxing on board sure beats roaming the streets for 9 hours with 3 kids, 5 suitcases and a husband :p

I think it sounds like a great idea. As far as the pool thing goes, there other things to do on a cruise ship besides sit at the pool and does anyone really use suntan OIL anymore ??? I would definitely take advantage of this offer if I had a late flight.

I think it sounds like a great idea. As far as the pool thing goes, there other things to do on a cruise ship besides sit at the pool and does anyone really use suntan OIL anymore ??? I would definitely take advantage of this offer if I had a late flight.

Remember SPF 2 and 4??? That was really back in the day, lol.

Remember SPF 2 and 4??? That was really back in the day, lol.

Actually, I remember putting mercurochrome (sp.?) in Johnson & Johnson baby oil.........that had 0 SPF. I'm dating myself with that admission!!!! LOL! Talk about roasting yourself like a rotisserie chicken!

Waaaiiiit a minute! What you're really paying is $35 for lunch in the 'Jammer!!

We leave our hand luggage in our cabin until after breakfast, anyway. Never had a cabin steward object at all. Just put it in the closet to get it out of their way.

You can go anywhere you want on the ship until you get off, anyway. I read a thread a few years ago where someone said they stay up on the pool deck until it's mandatory to get off (they know who you are from your seapass card not being swiped on the way out).

So, what you're paying for is the lunch that starts at 11:30.

FYI - On 18 November sailing guests with late flights were offered the option of late disembarkation.

The deal was

* remain in stateroom until 9:00am

* remain on ship thereafter and disembark no later than 4:00pm

* safe storage of checked and carry-on baggage

* breakfast and lunch in Windjammer

* full use of usual onboard facilities

The cost was

* $35.00 per person.

Numbers were obviously restricted and accordingly acceptance was on a first come first served basis.

Not sure if this option will be offered as a matter of policy in future or if it is only for a trial period.

Interesting concept - I wonder how they keep tabs on you when it comes to throwing out time!

I can't see the point of it in European ports where the cities are close and where we still have left luggage facilities but I guess in Miami it would be a good idea when there is not enough time to hire a car (read go shopping). Far better than spending hours at a USA airport.

PS before I get flamed, there is only so long you can spend in Hudsons News.....USA airports need to take a lesson from LHR T5 or Dubai or Singapore or Hong Kong or Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur when it comes to how a duty free area should look!

I would have to have the use of my cabin, tho....sitting at the pool is fine, but do you then want to head to the plane, suntan oil and all?

Just book an early flight!!!!

Gee, don't put suntan oil on then. It's not good for you anyway!

I think the price is very reasonable.

we took this option on our last cruise on the Brilliance, we were given wrist bands so the crew knew who we were. getting off later in the day was a breeze.

We went and had a sneak peak at some of the big suites. Had the pools to our selves.Used the showers in the gym and had a late lunch in the windjamer.

It was starnge to see all the new passengers coming aboard.

For us it was graet value.

U.S. Customs and Immigration might object to this. On our last 2 cruises, the ships have gotten a late start on embarkation because a couple of passengers from the previous cruise didn't get off, and had to be hunted down. Customs will not allow passengers to board until the previous cruise has disembarked.

Archived