On Solstice Right Now!

FortyNinerLiz

We are on the Solstice on the trans-Atlantic portion of a back to back with the Greek Isles. So many people have done Solstice reviews that I thought you should know the latest.

First, we would like to praise the performance of our Captain, Dimitrios Kafetzis, the Greek!! We were supposed to port in Livorno, Italy, on December 1st. We were going through a very rough storm and no ships could get into or leave Livorno. Captain Kafetzis worked through the night trying to balance safety and customer satisfaction. He was finally able to obtain access to a port about a little more than an hour away (by road) from Livorno, named La Spezia. His Shore Excursion staff managed, working all night, to have all tours rerouted to La Spezia. Tours left late, but the Captain assured all passengers that he would keep the ship in port until all Celebrity tours returned. He was good to his word and we had wonderful tours. Praises to the Captain and his staff!!! This is another reason to book your excursions through Celebrity. People with private tours had to make their own alternate arrangements and risked being left behind if they were late. We always book through Celebrity for our tours. The extra money is worth every penny when ports are changed or cancelled.

Second, many people want to know what to do on a trans-Atlantic. Well, now for more praise. Our Captain’s Club Hostess, Daniela Spirlac, has done a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained and happy. There are so many Elite Captain’s Club members and Cruise Critic members, that they have had to hold all of their events in the Sky Lounge!!! They have completely revamped the Elite program and we have been happily surprised. Every night there is an Elite Members Cocktail party up in the Sky Lounge. It is a great way to meet other Elite Members and to learn of other cruising experiences. In addition, they have truly upgraded other Elite benefits for laundry and the internet. Daniela has been hard at work attempting to meet the very challenging demands of Captain’s Club cruisers and we would like to commend her excellent work. This afternoon she held a Captain’s Club Celebration event that was “over the top”. Great entertainment and a fun speech from our Captain. All Captain’s Club Program additions are truly appreciated!

Now for the FOOD…………….Vegetarians can now find fabulous food in all venues!!!! Delicious!!!! Kudos to the culinary staff!! We have eaten at Murano, Tuscan Grill and Bistro on 5. The Specialty Restaurants are wonderful!!!! They are worth the extra money!!!! However, for those with a lighter appetite, the Oceanview Café has many selections to please every palate!!!

Have to leave now for the Tuscan Grill.

Ciao!

Sounds like you are having a great time. My wife and I board the Solstice on Sunday, can't wait. I know with trans-Alantic crossings the weather can sometimes delay the arrive. How has the weather been so far since the actual crossing started? Do you know if the ship is on schedule?

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and keeps us informed on what is going on, on the ship. Sunday will not come soon enough for me.

What a great post! I'm so glad its all working out! I agree with what you said about booking the cruise line shore excursions. Yes, you pay more but the peace of mind is certainly worth it----i equate it to travel insurance.

thanks for the post. We're going on Solstice on Valentine's Day to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Glad to hear that the changes to the elite program are working out - it was the opposite on our Royal Caribbean cruise in October - RCCL has taken away a lot of the perks that diamond members used to get so folks were definetely not happy.

Marianne

Sounds like you are having a great time. My wife and I board the Solstice on Sunday, can't wait. I know with trans-Alantic crossings the weather can sometimes delay the arrive. How has the weather been so far since the actual crossing started? Do you know if the ship is on schedule?

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and keeps us informed on what is going on, on the ship. Sunday will not come soon enough for me.

Everything is on schedule. The Captain is doing a great job of avoiding bad weather. We have the usual Atlantic rock and roll, but nothing serious. The crew has been fantastic and we just got back from a theater behind the scenes tour. Really interesting!!!

Our stateroom attendant, Jonny has been wonderful and I hope you get someone as good as him!!!!

Everything is on schedule. The Captain is doing a great job of avoiding bad weather. We have the usual Atlantic rock and roll, but nothing serious. The crew has been fantastic and we just got back from a theater behind the scenes tour. Really interesting!!!

Our stateroom attendant, Jonny has been wonderful and I hope you get someone as good as him!!!!

Thanks for the information. Continue to enjoy your cruise.

thanks for the post. We're going on Solstice on Valentine's Day to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Glad to hear that the changes to the elite program are working out - it was the opposite on our Royal Caribbean cruise in October - RCCL has taken away a lot of the perks that diamond members used to get so folks were definetely not happy.

Marianne

Hi Marianne, the perks are definitely fun:)I have been lucky enough

to sail twice since they have been implented and am going again

in January:D.....it is nice they are rewarding their repeat cruisers

with good things.:D

Glad the OP is having a great time:)

Considering a March cruise on Solstice....I am Elite, however a friend travelling with me (same cabin) is not. Will she be allowed into the Michaels Club or other nightly venues, and the brunch, since we are sharing a cabin??

Is Daniela from Canada?? I think I remember her from the Summit.......... beautiful and very, sweet young lady. I look forward to seeing her again, if she'll still be on in mid March.

Who is the hotel director?? food and beverage?? Hopefully, this Captain will remain on through March.

Thanks for the great information...enjoy your b2b.

Considering a March cruise on Solstice....I am Elite, however a friend travelling with me (same cabin) is not. Will she be allowed into the Michaels Club or other nightly venues, and the brunch, since we are sharing a cabin??

Is Daniela from Canada?? I think I remember her from the Summit.......... beautiful and very, sweet young lady. I look forward to seeing her again, if she'll still be on in mid March.

Who is the hotel director?? food and beverage?? Hopefully, this Captain will remain on through March.

Our dailies on Equinox indicated that a guest sharing your cabin would be able to enjoy the venue with you.:)

Daniela is the person you are thinking of. Check with her early on regarding the Elite sharing situation. The Hotel Director is Damien O'Connor.

Just got back from the Cruise Critic Wheel of Fortune Slot Pull and we all had a great time!!! This is a must for those who just want to have fun. It is only a $15 buy-in.

Tonight is Murano again and hopefully it will be as good as last time. Any other questions from readers?

Ciao

Daniela is the person you are thinking of. Check with her early on regarding the Elite sharing situation. The Hotel Director is Damien O'Connor.

Just got back from the Cruise Critic Wheel of Fortune Slot Pull and we all had a great time!!! This is a must for those who just want to have fun. It is only a $15 buy-in.

Tonight is Murano again and hopefully it will be as good as last time. Any other questions from readers?

Ciao

Thanks for the answers.....

I haven't tried the wheel of fortune pull......sounds like fun, though. I can't wait to sample all the foods from the specialty restaurants.

Archived