Questions about RCCL and Navigator of the Seas

terri1020

My dd and her bf are just about ready to book the Jan 2, 2010 cruise out of Miami. Although they have cruised a few times, they've never cruised on RC (and neither have I). I am hoping you experienced RC cruisers would be kind enough to answer several questions. Ok, here goes:

1. Can someone recommend a clean, not too expensive (they are in grad school) hotel near either the airport or the port itself?

2. I understand that there is a standard charge for a taxi to take you from the airport to the port, as we did this in November, but is there a set charge for going from the airport to a hotel? And from the hotel to the port the next morning?

3. What is the general dress code for RC? We just got off an NCL cruise and they dressed VERY casually. We sailed Princess last May and although it was more casual than Princess had been in the past, it was a bit more dressy than NCL. What is the common dress for dinner on a non-formal night? (Do they have formal nights?)

I'm sorry this is such a long post. I just want things to be perfect for them.

Thanks!

Terri

i don't know what cheap is to you but since they are young they may enjoy south beach and there are plenty of cheap places, especially if you do priceline. you can check out reviews on tripadvisor. we stayed in the clevelander on ocean drive for 144 on a weekend night. this is a 21 and over place and very clean and lots of fun. it was 15 bucks taxi fare to the pier, i think. I did NOS last week and it is as casual or as dress as you want to be. i dress up because i like to (skirts and heels) while my friends (two guys included) wore nice dark jeans with nice shoes and a shirt to the Main dining room most nights. they can just hit the buffet if they want to stay in shorts and t shirts.

From MIA to the port is $24....if your hotel is near the port, it will still be about that amount. From a hotel close to the port to the port, figure about $8-10.

Daytime dress is casual...most will be in swimsuits on the pool deck....shorts, tees, flip-flops in the inside areas, even the dining room for breakfast and lunch.

Casual dinners, most men wear dockers/golf shirt attire. Women do alot of Capris, skirts, sundresses......stuff like that.

On formal nights, tux or dark suit for men, cocktail dress or evening gown for women!

I suggest bidding on Priceline for a Miami hotel. If you bid 4 stars in downtown, you should be able to get a nice hotel for under $100. I got the Hyatt for $49 in Sept. The taxi to the port was $9 for two, plus a tip of course. There are really no cheap,nice hotels close to the Port of Miami.

Try the Holiday Inn Port of Miami- it is $24 taxi from the airport and about $8 over to the port in the am. You can overlook the port from your room.

The hotel is directly across from the Bayside Marketplace which is a great place to spend a pre cruise evening, lots of places to eat, shop, people watch.http://www.Baysidemarketplace.com

We stayed at the Port Miami Holiday Inn. Clean and you can see port from your window. It was just over $100 I believe.

As for dress code. On our 5 night cruise, there was 1 formal dinner so dresses and suits. The rest of nights were semi-casual to casual.

1. Can someone recommend a clean, not too expensive (they are in grad school) hotel near either the airport or the port itself?

2. I understand that there is a standard charge for a taxi to take you from the airport to the port, as we did this in November, but is there a set charge for going from the airport to a hotel? And from the hotel to the port the next morning?

3. What is the general dress code for RC? We just got off an NCL cruise and they dressed VERY casually. We sailed Princess last May and although it was more casual than Princess had been in the past, it was a bit more dressy than NCL. What is the common dress for dinner on a non-formal night? (Do they have formal nights?)

1 - I used Priceline at a website that helps you do Better Bidding to book our hotel. We ended up at the Hyatt in Downtown for only $55/night. Theirs will probably be a lot more expensive since it is New Year's, though! I am 23 and still in school myself. Totally understand a money crunch.

2 - From the airport to the hotel - it depends on the hotel. From the hotel to the port - no, no set charge.

3 - I would say it is the same as Princess. There will be 1 formal night and 3/4 casual. Casual dress usually means a sundress or casual day dress, pants or capris, or a skirt for women. For men it usually means khakis or slacks and a polo shirt or button down shirt. "Resort Casual" as some like to say. YES, some people wear jeans and you will hear some people argue for it. I have never, ever worn jeans in the dining room at night and I shudder when I see it.

Archived