Is it cold in Alaska?

RVRCLC

I do know about summer temperatures in Alaska, been there several times.

We drove to Alaska and camped out, have returned many times by ship, or ferry, because SE Alaska is our favorite part and that requires transportation that floats.

I'm surprised at the number of folks who think it's always very cold in Alaska.

I do know about summer temperatures in Alaska, been there several times.

We drove to Alaska and camped out, have returned many times by ship, or ferry, because SE Alaska is our favorite part and that requires transportation that floats.

I'm surprised at the number of folks who think it's always very cold in Alaska.

I think alot of it depends upon your comfort zone. We were there in May 2007 and wore long sleeves with jacket every day. In July of this year it was 85 degrees in Skagway and I had to do laundry to have enough short sleeve shirts.

Also our 1st week was much warmer than our 2nd week. You just never know. That's why the most popular clothes advice is "dress in layers".

One thing I have found is that Glacier Bay is usually the coldest place we have experienced.

Well let's see checked yesterday Seward had been a +19, Whittier had been a +28.

Recorded low here Tuesday night or Wednesday morning was a minus 16, most of the day around a +7, last night -3 and today a heat wave +19. Oh yes and it snowded every day.:eek:

Right now, the temperature in Juneau is warmer than in mid-America.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say. Well this was mid July this past summer between Skagway and Carcross. Notice the short sleeve shirt and she has a light sweater but it was very cold on Glacier days and when we were out on the bow of the ship, which for me was often and I mean a lot ......

2943286840091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2631554300091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2143620990091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

On an Alaska cruise, there is a WIDE range of weather and temptures. IF you plan on being out on deck during your glacier sailing, then you'd be best with warm layers, knit hat and gloves. In ports, it can be shorts weather. I find having the proper attire makes all the difference, and you need the SAME type, no matter when you go.

On an Alaska cruise, there is a WIDE range of weather and temptures. IF you plan on being out on deck during your glacier sailing, then you'd be best with warm layers, knit hat and gloves. In ports, it can be shorts weather. I find having the proper attire makes all the difference, and you need the SAME type, no matter when you go.

And re: the first 2 posts, right now it's warmer in southeast Alaska than it is in Syracuse!

And re: the first 2 posts, right now it's warmer in southeast Alaska than it is in Syracuse!

uh, no

it was 9º F this am in tiny town. seems that syracuse is above freezing.

i spent yesterday pm thawing the water/fuel separator on the f/v bottom-dragger. it was frozen solid. it wasn't a good thing to find out when motoring out into the wrangell narrows and the engine gasps, pukes, and dies.

are fresh shrimp and crab really worth it? yes.

Plan for and be prepared for everything. Layers are the key. Even if quite warm when leaving the ship, I would still carry additional layers if going for an excursion. The weather can change rapidly and frequently does.

When I spent the winter in north Florida three? years ago, we experienced three freezing nights, two in December and one in April. All three times the temperatures, both lows and highs were warmer in Skagway than Florida, go figure.

uh, no

it was 9º F this am in tiny town. seems that syracuse is above freezing.

i spent yesterday pm thawing the water/fuel separator on the f/v bottom-dragger. it was frozen solid. it wasn't a good thing to find out when motoring out into the wrangell narrows and the engine gasps, pukes, and dies.

are fresh shrimp and crab really worth it? yes.

Oops! You are correct. My town is the same temperature as yours, and I'm much farther south and west than Syracuse.

I loved visiting your town on our ferry trips to Alaska. (Sometimes, ferry trips are better than cruise trips!)

YES the fresh crab is worth it.

My whole point of this thread is to point out that Alaska is not the miserable place many first time visitors seem to expect.

And an added point, is I see VERY unprepared passengers on Alaska cruise ships. The ships do a glacier sailing, IF anyone wants to be outside, where the best view is, proper attire is ABSOLUTELY necessary, hence, my continued recommendation for that wide range of attire.

diverearl, such great shots! I LOVE the looks on both of your facers! Too fun! :D:D:D

I think I packed more clothes on our Alaska trip, simply due to not knowing what each day would bring. Layers upon layers is the key I think, but even then, I did bring a sleeveless fleece vest and some t-shirts and jeans and some shorts. You just have to plan.

Archived