What time does the ship stay on ?

deputybubba

So I'm reading the posts about using cell phones to tell the local time and I thought of a question.

Does the ship have a set time zone ? or does it change every day that you cross a new zone ?

Is the current 'ship time' displayed on the TV ?

Thanks

It depends on the ship and the itinerary.

If the cruise begins in one time zone and ends in another, the ship will generally stick to local time.

If it starts and ends in the same time zone, it may stay on tha time the whole way. You will be notified whenever you need to change you watch. On Princess it is in the Princess Patter and the cabin steward leaves a sign on the bed.

So I'm reading the posts about using cell phones to tell the local time and I thought of a question.

Does the ship have a set time zone ? or does it change every day that you cross a new zone ?

Is the current 'ship time' displayed on the TV ?

Thanks

It depends on the ship and the itinerary. On my first cruise, several years ago, the ship I was on (a Princess ship) set it's time to match the port we left from (Vancouver) and stayed on that time throughout the cruise. But on my most recent cruise up the New England coast line, New York City to Quebec, Canada, the ship changed time as it passed through various time zones.

It was always announced by an oral announcement, and by a card left on our bed in the evening, and in the daily newsletter. And with a BIG sign on the door exiting the ship when it got to port.

I am about to book our very first cruise on Celebrity's Century for a five night jaunt RT from Miami. At the moment I have booked our flight home to leave Fort Lauderdale at 1:30pm. My question is, is this enough time for a Saturday (March 20th, Spring break) departure? I have been scanning threads but didn't see exactly what I was looking for other than that Saturday and Sundays are heavy airport traffic days and something about how it will be even more so once Oasis of the Seas is in port. So I looked up what ships might be in port that day, and viola, Oasis of the Seas will be there. Plus, if I am reading the schedule correctly, so will the Princess Crown, Independence of the Seas, Ruby Princess, Eurodam, Poesia, and Carnival Miracle. We were hoping to fly in and out of FLL using a credit we have on SouthWest and can change again, just at a higher rate. Please advise if you think we should try to rebook, there is still a 5:50 pm flight available. The flight will cost us a bit more and I rather not change it if I don't have to, but also don't want our first cruise experience to be stressful. Any thoughts? Thanks.

With very few exceptions most cruise lines go with the local time zone. I know there might be a few exceptions to this.

You will be notified in the daily program. On some lines they will leave the televison on and on the screen it will note the time change. On other lines they will place a card on the bed or the end table.

On all our cruises, we have not had to turn the cell phone on. We just go with what the ship tells us.

Keith

I am about to book our very first cruise on Celebrity's Century for a five night jaunt RT from Miami. At the moment I have booked our flight home to leave Fort Lauderdale at 1:30pm. My question is, is this enough time for a Saturday (March 20th, Spring break) departure? I have been scanning threads but didn't see exactly what I was looking for other than that Saturday and Sundays are heavy airport traffic days and something about how it will be even more so once Oasis of the Seas is in port. So I looked up what ships might be in port that day, and viola, Oasis of the Seas will be there. Plus, if I am reading the schedule correctly, so will the Princess Crown, Independence of the Seas, Ruby Princess, Eurodam, Poesia, and Carnival Miracle. We were hoping to fly in and out of FLL using a credit we have on SouthWest and can change again, just at a higher rate. Please advise if you think we should try to rebook, there is still a 5:50 pm flight available. The flight will cost us a bit more and I rather not change it if I don't have to, but also don't want our first cruise experience to be stressful. Any thoughts? Thanks.

1:30 PM will work. Some folks book earlier flights. I would not because if there are delays with disembarkation due to a variety of reasons that creates a problem.

The Fort Lauderdale airport is about a 30 minute drive from Miami on a Saturday.

Keith

When we went to Mexico, our captain reminded us of the time change the night before, the day of, and when we would resume our regular time. The best thing is to look at the ship's clocks to see what time they are on and pay attention to the overhead announcements so that you aren't screwed up when you get into port. The time was shown correctly on the TV as well.

Time change depends on the captain. One year we met our BFFs in Cozumel. They were on a Carnival cruise and we were on a RCI cruise. Our ship had changed to local time, and their ship had not. (or vice versa, cannot remember for sure)

If you are booking independent excursions, your tour operator should know what time your ship typically arrives.

Bottom line, check the daily paper, listen to the announcements, and read the sign when you get off the ship.

Have a great cruise!

Having done both Eastern and Western Caribbean a few times, I've noticed that changing the time seems to be up to the ship or captain. Some did, some didn't.

Usually, the phone in the room has the time indicated on it - it will change when/if they change the time.

Art

Archived