Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Thanks for providing useful information and direction onec again for Copenhagen.

I have heard from somewhere that there are horse-drawn carriage in Nyhavn. I wonder if it is possible (or practical?) to get a horse-drawn carriage that can bring us back to the Princess cruise ship. I just think it might be an interesting alternative to get back to the ship, but not sure if the ship might be too far away for the carriage and also maybe it will be very expensive

Thanks for providing useful information and direction onec again for Copenhagen.

I have heard from somewhere that there are horse-drawn carriage in Nyhavn. I wonder if it is possible (or practical?) to get a horse-drawn carriage that can bring us back to the Princess cruise ship. I just think it might be an interesting alternative to get back to the ship, but not sure if the ship might be too far away for the carriage and also maybe it will be very expensive

Here is the web site for horse carriage rides in Copenhagen. http://www.hestetaxa.dk (FYI, "hest" is the Danish word for horse. Unfortunately, it's in Danish. I quickly brieft over the website and tried to see if they had an email link, but I did't see one. However, there is an address and phone number. It does seem like a fun idea, but I think this could be expensive.

Here is the website where I found the website about the Copenhagen carriage rides. http://www.woco.dk/composite-3161.htm

Have fun,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a train or a shuttle that is less expensive than taking a taxi to/from the Copenhagen airport into town?

thanks in advance!

For myself, after debating to take a taxi or the train into town, I think I've decided to take the train. For my group of 4, it will cost us about $15 for the train, vs. $40 for a taxi, and the trains run every 10 min. which will be very convenient. Plus, it's only a 13 min. ride from the airport to the central station. My guess is that that train could be faster, at least getting into the center of the city. Plus, the train will be more of an adventure for us, and although there are many taxi in Copenhagen, the train is the way to travel for most Danes. So I think we're going to do as the Danes and take the train.

Does anyone know where the Century will dock in Copenhagen? Thanks everyone, especially Steve for the great info!

It looks like the Century will dock at LANGELINIEKAJ, Quai number c190. This information was taken from this following site. http://www.tv.cphport.dk/coins/KbhHavn.nsf/anloebCruiseAll?openAgent&lang=0

Steve

Steve

Do you know if any of the CPH hotels offer a free pick up service from the airport and a drop off service back to the ship.

I am sorry, but I am not familiar with these services. You can try emailing several of the hotels. Go to the hotel's web site and see if there is a contact and an email address to write to.

Good luck,

Steve

I heard that there are some "big" taxis in Copenhagen. Does anyone know if these "big" taxis are available most of the time? We have a party of 5, with maybe 6 luggages, so it will definitely help to get a "big" taxi to go from airport to hotel, and from hotel to pier. Does anyone know if there is a number or website that we can use to reserve such taxis?

Thanks a lot! :) :rolleyes:

I heard that there are some "big" taxis in Copenhagen. Does anyone know if these "big" taxis are available most of the time?

I believe that the reference to the "big" taxi in Copenhagen is that they are vehcles of "American" size, and not the smaller size vehicle often driven in Europe. This I noticed when I used to live in Copenhagen. All the taxi were of American standard size vehicles, and not the small cars driven by the majority of the public.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Steve,

I'm traveling on the Star Princess, 6/14/05. You have really provided a great service to fellow travelers and should be commended for all the time and effort you put forth on this site. If other travelers would be as kind and thoughtful as you we would all have a better world! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Regards,

Cory Lynn

Dear Steve,

I'm traveling on the Star Princess, 6/14/05. You have really provided a great service to fellow travelers and should be commended for all the time and effort you put forth on this site. If other travelers would be as kind and thoughtful as you we would all have a better world! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Regards,

Cory Lynn

Dear Cory Lynn,

Thanks for the kind words. I hope that what I shared about Copenhagen and Denmark will help you to have a great time, and to better experience Denmark. I know you'll have a great cruise, and hope you can share your experiences when you return. I am sailing on July 24, and I may be looking to you for information upon your return. Have fun and a safe journey.

Steve

• 7 months later...

To answer a couple of questions earlier, yes, Tavoli does accept credit cards for admission as well as at the restaurants. ATM's are located inside the train station.

We took the train to Helsignor the day we sailed. We left around 9 am, had plenty of time to visit the castle, had lunch and a stroll around town before returning to Copenhagen and were on the ship by 3 pm. We purchased our train tickets when we arrived at the Copenhagen airport and were good for 24 hours. This was plenty for what we wanted to do.

Have a wonderful time!

Mary

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I see your trip was last year. Did you post a review?

I'm just beginning research for September 12 Star cruise.

Did you follow through on staying at the Marriott? Would you stay there again?

Your info is invaluable. Thanks a million.

Hi Steve,

I see your trip was last year. Did you post a review?

I'm just beginning research for September 12 Star cruise.

Did you follow through on staying at the Marriott? Would you stay there again? Your info is invaluable. Thanks a million.

Hello,

Yes, the trip was last year, I think we were on the cruise that departed on July 24. No, I didn't get around to posting a review. But, I'd be glad to answer any questions about what we did, and especially would be glad to help you with anything you might need to know about Copenhagen. I miss doing all the research, and I did plenty of it. The two best sources was this message board and the forum at http://www.virtualtourist.com The forum on virtualtourist.com was actually responed to by locals which was very helpful.

Yes, we did stay at the Copenhagen Marriott, and I am so gald we did. It was a beautiful hotel, and the service was excellent. I got the hotel on Priceline.com after I noticed that a few people were being awarded this hotel on biddingfortravel.com We stayed there several nights before and after the cruise. I had two Danish friends meet me there and they both were impressed. We did purchase the breakfast buffet and I was able to sample many of the Danish foods that I used to have when I lived there an as exchange student in the Copenhagen area. There was also American breakfast items as well. There was also a cheaper breakfast that could be purchased for continental breakfast type items.

The hotel is located along a channel which makes for a very scenic location. Although we didn't use the service, there was a "water" bus stop at the Marriott. One could take the water shuttle to say Nyhavn, or the little mermaid. The hotel is also located about a 10-15 min walk to Tivoli and the main train station. When we arrived at the airport, we took the train to the main train station, and a taxi to the hotel. The taxi driver was not thrilled about taking us to a location so close, but I pointed out I was traveling with my parents, we're with luggage, and despite the close location of the hotel, we needed his services. We took the train from the airport for the expereince of traveling on local transportation, but if I had to do over again, I simply would have taken a taxi which would have been easier on my parents. Although the train to the city is very quick and easy to do.

Yes, I would definately stay at the Copenhagen Marriott again, even if I didn't get the low priceline rate, and would be disapointed if I were not able to stay there. For me, there would be no other option.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Steve

• 1 year later...
Hello,

Which is the average temperature in September in Copenhagen? (Rain?? Sun??)

Thank you in advanced

JC

Temperatures can range from 65 to 75 degrees. It can be sunny or rainy, there's not really a typical average when it comes to rain or sun, and that can be said for most to the year, not just September. No matter what the weather, it's always great to be in Copenhagen. Have fun.

Temperatures can range from 65 to 75 degrees. It can be sunny or rainy, there's not really a typical average when it comes to rain or sun, and that can be said for most to the year, not just September. No matter what the weather, it's always great to be in Copenhagen. Have fun.

Dear Steve,

Thank you so Much!!!

On more question: what teams normally the stores (shopping) close?

Once more Thank you!

Dear Steve,

Thank you so Much!!!

On more question: what teams normally the stores (shopping) close?

Once more Thank you!

When I used to live in Copenhagen, the shops closed very early, but now they are allowed to stay open longer. Hopefully another poster on this website who's screenname is Danisviking will add accurate and up to date information. However, I always thought the best day of shopping was Saturday. Everyone seemed to be out, and it almost seemed like a festive atmosphere, especially on the shopping street known as Stroget.

Here's something I found on the internet regarding Copenhagen shoppning hours:

"Shopping hours are normally Monday to Friday 9:30-10:00 am until 5:30-7:00pm and Saturday 9:00 am-4:00pm. Danish shopping hours have now been extended to allow shops to stay open daily 6:00-8:00pm and smaller outlets at weekends. Most shops are closed on Sundays. Outside normal shopping hours, various kiosks around town are open for the sale of tobacco, newspapers and sweets. Bakeries, florists and confectionery shops remain open most of the time. The Central Station Supermarket is open until late in the evening, as well as all day Sunday. The sale of alcohol from retailers is forbidden after 2000."

Archived