Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Hi Steve, I want to commend you and thank you for all of the information and the time you spend to help all of us travellers. We are a group of 6 that are taking the Princess Baltic cruise the end of Aug and are getting into Copenhagen a day early (landing in airport at 3:55 pm on the 27th). Cruise begins on the 28th. Looks like we will be staying at the Clarion Hotel Mayfair, Helgolandsgade3. Do you know if there are taxis or shuttles that can hold 6 people with their luggage from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. We will definitely be going to Tivoli on the night we arrive - Wednesday. I saw an itinerary that you recommended for another for the day the ship sails that sounds pretty good. We also will have some time the day we disembark as our flight does not leave until 4:50 p.m. A couple of questions, are we within reasonable walking distance to sights such as the canal cruise as we thought this would be the first thing we would do on Thursday morning and do you think we could do anything before I flight out (and if so, what would we do with our luggage)? Two of our group have some medical issues so they might not be able to walk at a fast pace or for a truly long time.

All suggestions as what we could or should do, is greatly appreciated.

Kay

Hello Chatty409, thanks for the compliments. I am always happy to try and help people enjoy their visit to Copenhagen and Denmark. Looks like your group of six should be a lot of fun. As for taxi holding 6, that I can not really say for sure. Perhpas others here may have had such experience, and can help you out. I do know the average taxi will not hold six, but there are taxi vans, and it may be possible that you can get one of these at the airport. But, to be honest, I just don't know for sure. You may wish to post a new thread on this site asking about taxi for six in Copenhagen. Also, another good forum is the virtualtourist forum. Post the question also there on the Copenhagen forum. A lot of locals visit virtualtourist and you should get some first hand information there.

In terms of your hotel being "reasonable walking" distance to the canal cruise, well, that's really a matter of perspective. Your hotel is centraly located within the city, and very close to the main train station, and Tivoli. So, in terms of reasonable walking distance to Tivoli, the main train station, and the town square, yes, very close and reasonable. But, I would say it's not necessarily close the canal cruise. Yet, it's not really far either, its just that you'll have to walk a bit further. The closest canal cruise will be be at Gammel Tov, off Stroget, near Christainborg palace. To get there, just walk down stroget, which you will want to do anyhow. So, if you were to walk from your hotel to this location, it will take about 30 min. But, when you consider all the sights you see along the way, it goes by very fast.

Regarding your luggage, I believe it can be stored at the main train station. You can read more here. http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/faq/is_there_a_place_where_i_may_stow_my_luggage In fact, there is some good information on this site. http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/faq

On what you do after departing the cruise ship, and before your flights, there will be many things you can do, but what to do depends upon what have you have already done and seen. There are things you can do after you arrive and check into your hotel, and things to see and do before you board your ship, and again, plenty to do before you fly home. It's all about logistics with what you can see and do, figuring out how much time you have, and how to fit in all you want to do during this time. Do you have interest of seeing sights only within the city, do you want to see a little outside the city? On your arrival date, I agree, visiting Tivoli is best. You'll be tired, ready to relax, have dinner, and yet see a bit of the city. After you've checked in, and ready to head out, maybe first walk past Tivoli and go to the town square, just to have a look at the heart of the city. Then, walk back to Tivoli, it's only a block, and go for dinner, and a walk around Tivoli. Tivoli is best viewed in the evening with all the lights. You can have a casual evening in Tivoli, start with dinner, maybe at Grogften, you can make advanced reservations by email. Then, walk about Tivoli, have an icecream. Next day, as you have described, I have posted previously some suggestions about what can be done before going to your cruise ship. After you return, and disembark from the the ship, you can then see what you missed before the cruise. What time does the ship return? I guess I need more info on specifics before I can help with last day activities.

I understand your concern with mobility for two of your group members. I think it's great they will get to go. Yes, Copenhagen is definately a walking city, you can walk anywhere, but where there are mobility issues, there are alternatives. For example, there's taxi which are always available. Granted, everything is expensive in Copenhagen, taxi too, but since driving distances will be relatively short, hopefully fares will not be too bad. Plus, they would make for a very nice convenience. Also, there are tour busses you can take. I suppose the cruise company may offer tours, but you can probably find a local tour cheaper. Also, the canal cruise is an hour leisurely ride. There's also HOHO busses, to ease with transportation. All in all, there are options for those who may not get around as well, and enable them to enjoy this beautiful city. Have fun.

Steve

I spoke with a representative of Princess yesterday who confirmed your assumption -- the only folks getting off the ship in Helsingor are those who have pre-reserved Princess shore excursions. It has to do with Copenhagen being the final disembarkation port, even though I still don't fully understand the rationale. We'll probably take a tour through Helsingborg and Lund and have a great time before ending up in Copenhagen. Thanks, as always, for your insights.

Did anyone watch Samatha Brown this past weekend on the Travel Channel as she explored Copenhagen? It was a pretty good show, made me wish I was there.
We saw it several weeks ago. We have watched many of her shows but I wish she would spend more time at the attractions and less time eating or showing off her hotel room.

I wish she would spend more time at the attractions and less time eating or showing off her hotel room.

I couldn't agree more. Funny how she could even make a motel 6 seem like a 5 star room. I wish she would focus more on thie sights and attractions. Personally, I think I could do a better job, I am just not as cute. ;-)

I confess that I did not read ALL of this thread:eek: There is so much great information in it, that I am still working my way through. Thanks to Jimbo23 for the review of the Baltics. I am reading that as well. SO far, I haven't found an answer to my questions regarding Copenhagen... I am assuming from my reading that we dock in Langline? Can you tell me how people get into the city centre? Around Nyhavn? Is there a metro near the port? Does Celebrity offer a shuttle? The walk looks lovely, but I don't think I would like to do this both ways as we have limited time.

Thanks for any help!:)

I confess that I did not read ALL of this thread:eek: There is so much great information in it, that I am still working my way through. Thanks to Jimbo23 for the review of the Baltics. I am reading that as well. SO far, I haven't found an answer to my questions regarding Copenhagen... I am assuming from my reading that we dock in Langline? Can you tell me how people get into the city centre? Around Nyhavn? Is there a metro near the port? Does Celebrity offer a shuttle? The walk looks lovely, but I don't think I would like to do this both ways as we have limited time.

Thanks for any help!:)

Hello hylasgirl, here is a link which if it opens for you, shows a map of the city and it's cruise port locations. http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/map If you ship docks at Langelinie, you will be close to the city. It may be about a 20 min. walk to the city. You'll also be in close walking distance to the Little Mermaid. You're closest train station will be Osterport. In terms of getting to the city, if it were me, I'd just walk. You'll first come upon Nyhavn, then you continue on down Stroget which leads to the town square and then on to Tivoli if you wish. If you don't want to walk back to the ship, just take a taxi. Or, you could walk to a train station, like Vesterport, or the main central station, then get off at Osterport, but from here you'll still have about a 20 min. walk back to your ship. Best to just walk around which is the best way to see the city, and take a taxi if you need or are short on time, else, just walk back.

Hello hylasgirl, here is a link which if it opens for you, shows a map of the city and it's cruise port locations. http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/map If you ship docks at Langelinie, you will be close to the city. It may be about a 20 min. walk to the city. You'll also be in close walking distance to the Little Mermaid. You're closest train station will be Osterport. In terms of getting to the city, if it were me, I'd just walk. You'll first come upon Nyhavn, then you continue on down Stroget which leads to the town square and then on to Tivoli if you wish. If you don't want to walk back to the ship, just take a taxi. Or, you could walk to a train station, like Vesterport, or the main central station, then get off at Osterport, but from here you'll still have about a 20 min. walk back to your ship. Best to just walk around which is the best way to see the city, and take a taxi if you need or are short on time, else, just walk back.

Thanks Steve for both your posts. I appreciate the help. Hey... if we walk into town from Langeline, won't we pass right by the Little Mermaid right on the way into town?

We are looking into an economical way to travel from

ship (Freeport terminal) to airport. Would taxis be available from the

ship to Nordhavn station and then take the train to airport. Alternately,

is it better to take the taxi to Osterport station and then take the train

to airport (No change in trains needed)? Would taxi drivers take

short trips? Are there plenty of taxis available at the port?

If one were to share taxi, the problem I see is storing of luggage in the

taxi trunk. Do the taxis have top luggage carriers?

On May 20th, we will be arriving in the morning and do local walking

tour. We are a party of two. Is it economical to buy the 10-ticket

pass and use the pass for both of us on that day and also return trip?

How does the zone rate apply in case of the pass?

Thanks in advance.

We are looking into an economical way to travel from

ship (Freeport terminal) to airport. Would taxis be available from the

ship to Nordhavn station and then take the train to airport. Alternately,

is it better to take the taxi to Osterport station and then take the train

to airport (No change in trains needed)? Would taxi drivers take

short trips? Are there plenty of taxis available at the port?

If one were to share taxi, the problem I see is storing of luggage in the

taxi trunk. Do the taxis have top luggage carriers?

On May 20th, we will be arriving in the morning and do local walking

tour. We are a party of two. Is it economical to buy the 10-ticket

pass and use the pass for both of us on that day and also return trip?

How does the zone rate apply in case of the pass?

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think the best way it to simply take a taxi from the cruise pier to the airport, and most conveninet. There should be taxi available for you, but get an early start to be sure. Is it cheaper, I dont' know, depends on the cost of a taxi vs taxi/train. If you to take a taxi to the train, one option is to take the Metro from Norreport station to the airport. If you buy a 10 clip card, it will take 2 clips per person on either the blue or yellow clip cards. So, if you buy one card for the two of you, clip it 4 times, and you'll still have 6 left over. I think the cost of the multiple ticket is 125 DKR for 10 clips. Or, an individual ticket should cost 30 DKR. I think that would be your best deal rather than buying a 10 clip card since you may not be needing the extra clips. This is information I tried finding for you on the transportation websites, I urge you to visit these sights and confirm.

Steve,

We would like to impose on you to answer a question.

We are spending a couple of pre-cruise days in Copenhagen and would like to buy a couple of bottles of wine.

Is wine sold in regular markets or only in special stores? Where is the best place to pick up a couple of bottles of moderately priced wine?

Thanks

Steve,

We would like to impose on you to answer a question.

We are spending a couple of pre-cruise days in Copenhagen and would like to buy a couple of bottles of wine.

Is wine sold in regular markets or only in special stores? Where is the best place to pick up a couple of bottles of moderately priced wine?

Thanks

Roses2, I do know there are wine stores, but I belive wine is also sold in supermarkets as well. Since you are overnighting in Copenhagen, I suggest you talk to your hotel's concierge and see what they advise. Unfortunately, when I lived in Denmark, I was 19, and generally just bought beer for myself. Therefore, I am not abel to make specific recommendations. I just recall seeing wine stores, and as mentioned, I believe wine is sold in stores as well. But as for which one to visit, you'll have to ask a local in the area, they can help you better. Thanks.

I was wondering if you would answer a few more questions about copenhagen. We are taking a tour with denmark sightseeing to the castles outside of copenhagen. My mother inlaw is just not up to going on the train unfortunately!! The tour leaves from the palace hotel, how far is it from the Marriott and would the canal boat outside of the Marriott go there. Thanks so much for your help, I am also going to take a couple of the walking tours by the Richard Karpen, his tours sound really good

Thanks

Lisette

I was wondering if you would answer a few more questions about copenhagen. We are taking a tour with denmark sightseeing to the castles outside of copenhagen. My mother inlaw is just not up to going on the train unfortunately!! The tour leaves from the palace hotel, how far is it from the Marriott and would the canal boat outside of the Marriott go there. Thanks so much for your help, I am also going to take a couple of the walking tours by the Richard Karpen, his tours sound really good

Thanks

Lisette

The Palace Hotel is very close to the shopping street Stroget, and the town square, "Radhuspladsen." Due to this central location, this is probably why your tour departs here. No, you can't get there via the water taxi or canal boat that departs from the Marriott as the canal is not located near the Palace Hotel. To get there from the Marriott, it's about a 20-30 min. walk depending upon pace of walking. To make it easier for your mother inlaw, I recommend taking a taxi. It's just a short ride from the Marriott, a taxi can have you there in just a min. or two, therefore, hopefully the taxi fare will not be too bad, and a whole lot easier and convenient on your group. That's what I would do if traveling with my parents, plus it saves on time too.

Have fun,

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the helpful reponse about buying the wine downtown.

We are staying at the Palace Hotel for 2 days pre-cruise and would like to pick your brain a bit more about getting in to the Palace Hotel from the airport.

Is the Main Station or the Metro closer to the Palace??

We see the options as taxi form the airport or the train into town and then taxi to the Palace.

With the current exchange rate of the usless $$$ which sounds like the better choice?

Thanks

Steve,

We are staying at the Palace Hotel for 2 days pre-cruise and would like to pick your brain a bit more about getting in to the Palace Hotel from the airport.

We see the options as taxi form the airport or the train into town and then taxi to the Palace.

With the current exchange rate of the usless $$$ which sounds like the better choice?

Thanks

The Palace Hotel is in a great location. Located right at the town square, and Stroget, the pedestrian walking street. Tivoli is just located across from the town square.

The closest train station is the Main train station in Copenhagen. I agree with your options to your hotel, either taxi from the airport, or combo train/taxi. My guess is that the cheapest would be the train/taxi. The train can be a quick way as well considering the frequency of trains that stop at the airport, and that the main station is only a few stops away. From the main station, your hotel is only about 2 blocks away. Although that sounds close, and it is, it's not so close that you would want to walk, although feasably you could. So, I recommend a taxi from the station, and because you're close, it will be a very short ride, and therefore, shouldn't cost too much. Although I am not sure what this would cost in comparison to a taxi from the airport, I would strongly assume a taxi would cost more. On the other hand, the more people you have in your group, this brings the average cost per person for a taxi to a lesser amount. But if you are alone, or a couple, I believe the train/taxi would be the cheaper way to go.

Steve,

Thanks

Additionally, here is an email to your hotel, palacebooking@lemeridien.com I recommend you email them and ask about the cost for transportation and which is cheaper.

I also read that the hotel is about a 10 min. walk from the main station which seems right. I guess you can walk, but it's a walk through a busy part of copenhagen which is why a taxi might be a better idea from the train station, especially if it's raining. Hopefully if you email the hotel, they will be helpful and more informative.

Here is a concierge email hans.peder@lemeridien.com

receptions email renate.kellmann@lemeridien.com

Hello Steve,

my goodness, I have read and re read this thread and each time there is more to learn from you & you write so very well and informed. It is truly an enjoyment I steal away for myself. I hope you realize how truly appreciated all your posts have been<

and the wonderful thing is I am finally going to Copenhagen! the Splendor will be there Tue, July 15 from 8-4.

... How can I possibly do all those wonderful suggestions? I have dreamed all those visits over and over again from your posts. If you were only going to be in Copenhagen the time I have, what would you choose to do? I love people, food, history and beauty. I have worked for a Dane as temp many years ago and never forgot their kindnesses. On my birthday the gave me a cake with Danish flags on it and I kept them all. Very touching. I am open to suggestions: palaces, museums, ice cream shops, glass art, train riding, walking. you name it..

Copenhagen is a dream visit for me.:)

Hello Steve,

my goodness, I have read and re read this thread and each time there is more to learn from you & you write so very well and informed. It is truly an enjoyment I steal away for myself. I hope you realize how truly appreciated all your posts have been<

and the wonderful thing is I am finally going to Copenhagen! the Splendor will be there Tue, July 15 from 8-4.

... How can I possibly do all those wonderful suggestions? I have dreamed all those visits over and over again from your posts. If you were only going to be in Copenhagen the time I have, what would you choose to do? I love people, food, history and beauty. I have worked for a Dane as temp many years ago and never forgot their kindnesses. On my birthday the gave me a cake with Danish flags on it and I kept them all. Very touching. I am open to suggestions: palaces, museums, ice cream shops, glass art, train riding, walking. you name it..

Copenhagen is a dream visit for me.:)

Hello ZydeDiverDC, glad to read you'll be visiting Wonderful Copenhagen. Using Danish flags on things like cakes or pasteries can be very popular. You often see Danish flags everywhere. Flags are often used in celebrations and special occasions, this is definately very typical.

Glad to read that some of what I've written has been helpful. Middle of July will be a good time to be in Denmark, and from 8-4, even if only a day, you'll still have plenty of time to see the sights. Most of what I've posted focuses on either Copenhagen itself, or areas outside of Copenhagen such as Roskilde, Hillerod, or Helsingor. There's no wrong way to see and do things, it's basically what's important to you to make a priority. With only a day, I'd probably focus on staying in Copenhagen, but if you had your heart set on visiting elsehwere, then that can be done too. Biggest problem is that even though you're in Copenhagen by 8 am, nothing is not yet open, not till 10, so you loose 2 hours waiting for things to open. On the other hand, that can be time used to get yourself to the Little Mermaid which is always open! From there, take a walk back to the city along the water. Walking along the water, from the Little Mermaid towards Copenhagen, you'll come across Gefion Fountain which is another stop to visit for free, and open. Does your ship dock at Langelinje? If so, you'll already be close to the Little Mermaid and the Gefion Fountain. If not, then just take a taxi to the Little Mermaid, have him drop you off, then walk back to the city, along the water, visiting Gefion Fountain along the way. Eventually, you'll come upon Amalienborg palace. If you can't be there at noon for the changing of the guard, then this would be a nice time to have a quick walk in the courtyard. It's kind of like Buckingham Palace in London, except there's not fence keeping you out, you're welcome to walk insite the courtyard, and have your photo taken with a guard.

From Amalienborg, be sure to have a map, walk to Rosenborg Palace. (With regards to walking, are you able to do a lot of walking? Copenhagen is easy to get around, either by train, bus, taxi, or walking. For me, walking is the best way because you can see so many things, and people, along the way. Therefore, I don't see walking as a method of transportation, but a way to be among the local citizens, and best way to experience the city. So, even if you end up doing a lot of walking, hopefully it won't seem like it as you will be experiencing so much along the way. On the other hand, if walking is difficult, or an issue, then we may wish to find differnet plans.) I belive Rosenborg opens at 10 am. Be sure to be there when it opens to maximize the rest of your day. I estimate you'll be at Rosenborg an hour, including a visit to the Crown jewels in the underground level, which I affectionately refer to as the basement. However, I'd allow 1 1/2 hours just in case visiting here takes longer than I'd estimate. If you arrive at Rosenborg before 10 am, this is time you can use to walk around the lovely grounds which is like a beautiful park.

After Rosenborgh, you can wallk to Norreport station, and from here, take a pedestrian street into the city, and then visit the Round Tower. Or, if you wanted to take a train, for the sake of taking a train, then you can catch a train at Norreport Station, and take it to the Main station, (Kobenhavn H.) From there, you can check out the huge main station, and when you exit, you'll notice Tivoli. For me, Tivoli is best experienced in the evening, and does require some time, therefore since you are short on time, and will not e there in the evening, I suggest you pass on Tivoli. On the other hand, if Tivoli is important to you, then by all means visit Tivoli, but I'd save this for your last activity of the day, and take a taxi back to your ship when finished. Okay after the "train ride" walk by Tivoli, check out the main entrance, and walk on to Radhuspladsen, the town square. Inside the Townsquare building is a famous clock. If you have time, you can go in for a quick peak. It only takes about 15 min. of your time if you're interested. If hungry, maybe you can try a kind of hot dog from one of the street vendors at the town square area. From the town square, you will find the entrance to Stroget, the famous pedestrian shopping street. Walk down Stroget and visit any of the shops you like. There is a bakery, I think called La Glase, but I am not now certain, but I do know that I've written about in in this forum somewhere. I do suggest you visit a bakery, and try anything that looks good to you. I assure you it will all look good, and you will find yourself having great difficulty trying to decide, therefore I recommend you try at least 3 different kinds of pastry. Then be prepared to experience heaven in your mouth.

As you walk down stroget, keep a look out for Illums Bolighus, it's a unique store with all kinds of modern things for your home. Unfortunately, things are expensive here, but I hope you'll appreciate the modern Danish design, and if you can, treat yourself to a souvenir for yourself. I treated myself to a coffee decanter. At this location along Stroget, there is a square, and from here you can walk to Christainborg Palace. There is a tour in English, and if you're here at this time, you can take a tour of the Queens royal reception rooms. Although this is interesting, it's not necessarily a "must do" given your short time, Instead, take a canal tour which is located in this area between Stroget and Christainborg Palace. This location will offer a canal tour same as that which can be taken at Nyhavn, but this location is often less crowded and you can perhaps take a tour here without waiting. This location is known as Gl Strand, or Gammel Strand, and is the old fisherman's village. However, don't expect any fishing village here now, the only reminder is a statue of a fish woman. The canal tour last an hour and is very interesting. You'll get to see the Little Mermaid again, this time her back view. canal tour website http://www.canaltours.com/DCT/EN/GuidedSightSeeing/GlStrand/

After the canal tour, go back to the square where Illums Bolighus was located and take the alley way to the Round Tower. Or, are you hungry by now? If so, I recommend going to a restaurant known as Bøf & øst located on Gråbroedretorv torv which is a small square near Illums bolighus, you'll need a map, and maybe ask a local for info and directions, but it's very close buy. I recommend dining outside if the weather is good, and try having an openfaced sandwich.

Hum, as I write this, I realize it may be well past noon and in which case you would have missed the changing of the guard. Therefore, if you wanted to see this, then perhaps after visiting Rosenborg, head back to Amalienborg instead. Then, after the Changing of the Guard, walk to Nyhavn, check out this beautiful area, then when ready, walk on to Stroget. If however, you can get on a canal boat here, then do so. But, if there's a long wait, then just move on and take the canal tour from the other location I mentioned. So, walk down Stroget and do what I've already suggested, just in reverse order. One thing I did leave out was the Round tower. This is in an area relatively close to the square where Illums Bolighus is located and where Bof and Ost is located. Just ask a local for directions. It's fun to walk up, it's an easy walk, no steps, just a spiral walkway, very interesting, and a great view overlooking the city. If you have time, you can visit the Danish National Museum. http://www.nationalmuseet.dk/sw20374.asp

I think you should be able to do all that I've described during your stay, and you will still get to see and do a lot. Hard to say how much more time you might have. If you did somehow find yourself with extra time, and you wanted to do more, then maybe take a train to Klampenborg. Allow about 20 min. for the ride. This gives you a chance to take a train, see some of the area outside the city. At Klampenborg, there is a park, deer park. Take a walk, and enjoy the park. If you allowed yourself 45 min. to 1 hour for the park, and 20 min. there, and 20 min. back, then for this trip, you may want to allow yourself almost 2 hours. So, if you did somehow have 2 hours to kill, then this could be an option. Or, maybe you could start your day at 8 am, take the train there, and be back into town by 10 am when things start opening up. Maybe take the train back to Norreport station, walk 10 min. to Rosenborg, and be there by 10 am, and start your day this way. Naturally, there are many options and suggestions, there's no wrong way to visit the city, it's all about what interest you. Although, with a limited day, it's best to have a plan, and make sure it's a plan that will work. Or, certainly a plan is not necessary, just wander around, it's your holiday, so enjoy it the way that best suits you. Either way, I am sure you'll enjoy this wonderful and beautiful medieval city.

• 2 weeks later...
Did the information I provide offer any help?

Maybe Steve , could you be a little more specific?

Haha! Just kidding!

I have copied everything based on your excellent advice and will be using it as our guide when we arrive in July for one day.

Thank you so mych for taking the time and interest to provide all these valuable tips to everyone! I appreciate your efforts so much as I am sure all of us do!

Thanks!

Did the information I provide offer any help?

Hi Steve: I have not asked you a question directly, but I have benefited enormously from the advice you've offered on this board. Thank you for your commitment to the Wonderful Copenhagen thread - your valuable insights & expert recommendations have created a fabulous resource for cruisers. Please know that your responses are very much appreciated.

Archived