Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Hi Steve,

I have read several of your suggestions and, like everyone else, really appreciate your inputs.

Are you (or anyone else) familiar with the guided walk by 'Hans Christian Anderson', and if so, what do you think of it? http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm

We love to walk and learn about the local history and thought this might be a nice way to spend a couple hours in the morning.

But then again, reading about your suggested walking trips, we wonder what to do.

I am sorry if this has come up before.

Hi Steve,

I have read several of your suggestions and, like everyone else, really appreciate your inputs.

Are you (or anyone else) familiar with the guided walk by 'Hans Christian Anderson', and if so, what do you think of it? http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm

We love to walk and learn about the local history and thought this might be a nice way to spend a couple hours in the morning.

But then again, reading about your suggested walking trips, we wonder what to do.

I am sorry if this has come up before.

Hello Lair Bear, I am not familiar with the guided walk by Hans Christain Anderson but it does look like a fun way to see some of the city. I would like to take this tour myself. I think you will enjoy it. Have fun.

For all of you that are thinking of taking a trip to northern zealand (Hillerød, Fredenborg/Frederiksborg/Kronborg Castles, the coastal villages and Elsinore/Helsingør or Dragør near the airport here are a thread from skyscrapercity.com with alot of pictures from thoses places.

There are also pictures from Vallø town and the Castle near my hometown Køge.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=612287&page=4

And if you look into the Photo forum there are alot of pictures from all major city´s in the nordic and baltic area.

HI Steve - Thank you for all the valuable information and the time you have spend helping so many of us. Here is my question - Where do I buy the clip of tickets for the public transportation? Also, is Kobenhavn which I understand is where we get the train for Klampenborg near the Central staion which I think is called Hovedbanegard/Vesterborg and listed as one of the stops made by bus # 26 the bus from Langeline. Are there 2 central staions? I think I may be very confused about this. Please help. Thanks so much.

HI Steve - Thank you for all the valuable information and the time you have spend helping so many of us. Here is my question - Where do I buy the clip of tickets for the public transportation? Also, is Kobenhavn which I understand is where we get the train for Klampenborg near the Central staion which I think is called Hovedbanegard/Vesterborg and listed as one of the stops made by bus # 26 the bus from Langeline. Are there 2 central staions? I think I may be very confused about this. Please help. Thanks so much.

You can buy your train ticket, or if you need a clip card, at any train station in Copenhagen. There should be a ticket agent at all stations. English is widely spoken very well by all Danes, so feel free to ask for the cheapest fare, or form of ticket to get you there and back.

You'll want to take the S-Train which is a type of train, or train service. Just look for the red sign with the big red S. Hence, the S train. After having a quick look at the web site with the S Train map, I see that you'll need the C train. http://www.dsb.dk/cs/Satellite?pagename=DSB/Page/Indholdsside_med_sidemenu_uden_introindhold&c=Page&cid=1002806878580

You can catch the S-train from any S-Train station in Copenhagen, including the main station, aka Hovedbanegard, or Kobenhavn H. This is the only main or central station, no, there are not two, just this one. But again, there are other stations, smaller stations in the city where you can catch the C train from any S-Train station. Going in the north direction towards Klampenborg from Kobenhavn H, the central station, the next station is Vesterport which actually is very close to the central station. Then, going further north, you have Norreport station which is a kind of underground station, but don't confuse this with the Metro in Copenhagen which is a completely different line. Following Norreport you have Osterport, Nordhavn, Osteroport, Nordhavn, and so forth until you reach Klampenborg. For the C train, Klampenborg is the end of the line. So, any one of these stations can take you to Klampenborg as the C train stops at all of these stations. Therefore, you don't necessarily have to go to the Central station. My impression is that Osterport station is techincally closer to Langeline than the Central station.

After confirming with the train system travel planner, it does look ilke bus 26 will take you from Langeline to the central station, Kobenhavn H. taking you 19 min of bus travel. Or, from Langeline to Osterport Station, it looks like the same bus #26 will take you there in only 8 min.

However, you're going to need a ticket or fare for the bus to take you to the the train station. I am sorry, I don't know if the bus driver sells tickets, in which case you'd need Danish Kroner as I don't think the bus driver accepts credit card. You could take a taxi to Osterport from Langeline, being so close, the fare should not be much, but I don't know what the fare would come too. Or, you could walk from Langeline to Osterport, walking might take about 20 min. to get there. Overall, walking to Osterport is not far, it's all relative to whether you think 20 min. of walking is far or close. Plus, you don't really know when the next bus is coming by and you could be half way there before it does arrive. And, walking is always a great way to explore Copenhagen. Another option is the Copenhagen Card which includes all bus and train travel and can be purchased from home and mailed to you.

Have I helped you, or is everything clear as mud? If still confused, ask me again with specific questions and I'll see if I can help further.

Steve

Here is some information I've just obtained regarding bus drivers selling tickets.

"They sell tickets - not clip cards. You need pretty exact change - that is coins no notes.

Many newsagents - they are ususally called Kiosk - sell clip cards.

You save at least 30 precent - provided you can use 10 clips. They each are good for an hour. And more than one person can travel on the same clipcard."

So, it looks like if you wanted to take a bus to a train station, you should be able to pay bus fare to the bus driver, but you'll need exact change, and Danish currency. Then, at the train station, you can buy your train ticket or clip card there to Klampenoborg.

If you buy the clip card, you may be wondering how many clips it will take to travel from Osterport, or the Central station to Klampenborg. I have inquired about this question and here is the reply:

"from the Central or Osterport train stations, it's a trip covering four zones. So you can either clip twice on a two zone card or one time on a four zone card.

The two zone card costs 125 Dkr. and the four zone card costs 215 Dkr.

But unless you are travelling that distance all the time and only that distance, the two zone card is a better deal because you can use it for all local travel in Copenhagen.

Once you get here, you'll see that on the machines you clip the cards with, there's a little map that helps you figuring out how many clips on different cards you need to make."

Hope this helps.

You need a 4 zone ticket, that is 40 kroner.

if you are 2 persons you can buy a 2 zone stamping card and stamp it 4 times each way and then you got 2 stamps in spare.

A 2 zone card cost 125 kroner but if you buy a single ticket you will have to pay 160 (40 kr. x 4) for the return trip.

A stamping card got 10 stamps and you can get them with 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and all zones.

A easy example if your group consist of 5 persons the best way is to buy a 4 zone stamping card and stamp it 5 times each way, this card cost 215 kroner instead of 400 (40 kroner x 10)

The zone system is here (Klampenborg is in the brown zone aka zone 4)

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Priser/hovedstadsomraadet/zoneoversigt/Documents/01.pdf

As stated before the bus driver don´t sell the stamping card so the best way is to walk to Østerport train station and buy the stamping card there, or check if the tourist information at Langelinie Pier sells the stamping card.

From Østerport there are 2 options either the S-train line C or the Øresund train heading for Nivå (not Elsinore/Helsingør because this train do not stop at Klampenborg)

The S-train stops after Østerport at Nordhavn, Svanemøllen, Hellerup Charlottenlund and Ordrup but the Øresund trains only stop at Hellerup.

I hope that it is not confusing i am trying my best in English.

Thank you . Thank you. I really appreciate the information and the effort you have made to answer my question about getting to Klampenborg. Interstingly I was in Copenhagen a few years ago and printed out Steve's directions to get out to the castles. We actually did it by taking the train from Osterport and we did walk from the ship. I had forgotten these details and now I am remembering what we did. When we made that trip we did not get off to see the Deer and Bakken. That is why I want to do it this year.

So I am grateful to both of you because I had found the http://www.rejseplanen.dk site which told me to take the train toward Niva and now I learn that will work. And from Steve I learned to take the "C" S train which ends at Klampenborg, also from Osterport. So my final question is this - Both trains trains come thru Osterport so do we just take the one that comes first?

We will walk to the station. I am thinking that coming back we will stay on the train to the Main station and then make our way to the Carlsberg Brewery. Any suggestions about the best way to get there?

I think we will buy the 2 zone clip ticket, use 8 clips to get to Klampenborg and then use the last two to get from the Main station back to Osterport. Will that work? Thanks in advance. You both have been terrific.

So I am grateful to both of you because I had found the http://www.rejseplanen.dk site which told me to take the train toward Niva and now I learn that will work. And from Steve I learned to take the "C" S train which ends at Klampenborg, also from Osterport. So my final question is this - Both trains trains come thru Osterport so do we just take the one that comes first?

We will walk to the station. I am thinking that coming back we will stay on the train to the Main station and then make our way to the Carlsberg Brewery. Any suggestions about the best way to get there?

I think we will buy the 2 zone clip ticket, use 8 clips to get to Klampenborg and then use the last two to get from the Main station back to Osterport. Will that work? Thanks in advance. You both have been terrific.

"Both trains trains come thru Osterport so do we just take the one that comes first?"

Yes, if both trains are scheduled to stop at Osterport, and also stop at Klampenborg, then you can simply take which ever stops first. FYI, the C train should stop about every 20 min. Like at 5 min past the hour, 25 min. after, and 45 min after. However, for either the C train, or the other train you referred too, you will have to check which platform the train stops at. Both trains may not be stopping at the same platform. After checking the online trip planner, the other train, not the C train, seems to be faster, by about 5 min. less. This other train apparently makes fewer stops on the way to Klampenborg.

"I am thinking that coming back we will stay on the train to the Main station and then make our way to the Carlsberg Brewery. Any suggestions about the best way to get there?"

From the Klampenborg Station, you can take the C train back towards Copenhagen, get off at Enghave station which is the 2nd stop after the Central Station/Kobenhavn H. From there, you can walk to the Carlsberg brewery, about a 12 min. walk. Use a map to find your way. From Klampenborg to the Carlsberg Brewery, total duration from train time to walking should be about a 38 min. duration.

"I think we will buy the 2 zone clip ticket, use 8 clips to get to Klampenborg and then use the last two to get from the Main station back to Osterport. Will that work?"

YES!

Have fun!

Steve

Thank you Steve. I know we will have fun in Wonderful Copenhagen and thanks to you it will be very easy to do. We followed your directions last time and they were perfect and we had a wonderful day. I really appreciate all your help.

If you are in Copenhagen on a weekday (plus saturday in the daytime) the s-train runs every 10th minute and the øresund train every 20th minute.

In the evening and sunday both trains runs every 20th minute.

The trains runs from seperate platforms, the S-train runs from track 1 and 2, the trains to Copenhagen( And further out) runs from track 3 and 4 and the trains to Helsingør and Nivå (and many lines with Østerport as last stop.) runs from 5 and 6.

Where do I buy the clip of tickets for the public transportation?

I forgot, you can also buy clip cards at the airport. One place I know for sure where to buy at the airport is at the kiosk or ticket booth where the train is located at the airport. In fact, that's where I got mine. The clip cards are good for both bus and train, therefore, rather than walking to Osterport, you could take bus #26 to Osterport, and then catch the train, all on the same clips. But, walking is nice too. Like I said before, by the time the bus comes, you may already be half way to the station. Then again, the buses are fairly regular. One other problem is simply finding the bus stop when you're not familiar with the area. Or, perhaps maybe as you walk, you'll find yourself walking along the same road as the bus, and when it comes along, get on then. But, you'll have to be at a bus stop which are easy to identify. Bus stops usually have a sign and bus schedule.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for all the wonderful information. I've been skimming the pages, I do have a question for you, it may have been answered and I may have overlooked it. We are staying at the marrior pre-cruise. Will the train from the airport bring us near there, would we be better off taking a taxi?

Thanks again

Bernadette

Hi Steve,

Thank you for all the wonderful information. I've been skimming the pages, I do have a question for you, it may have been answered and I may have overlooked it. We are staying at the marrior pre-cruise. Will the train from the airport bring us near there, would we be better off taking a taxi?

Thanks again

Bernadette

Hi Bernadette,

Yes, the hotel is very close to the Central station. You can take the train from the airport to the Central station, also known as Kobenhavn H. From there, you can either walk to the hotel, or take a taxi. However, although the walk is not far, about 15 min. it may be too much of a walk with luggage, and after having traveled on a long trip. Therefore, I'd recommend a taxi from the Central station. But, because the trip is a short ride, 2 or 3 blocks, the taxi driver may not be too pleased about a short trip, but that's not your problem, and since it is a short ride, the fare should obviously not be too much. Also, taxi take credit cards which is always convenient. FYI, Capital One credit card does not charge an exchange rate fee which can be 2-3% of purchases. I am not promoting Capital One, just trying to help you save money.

All in all, the trip from the airport to the hotel is not a long trip. The cheapest form of transportation is to take the train, then a taxi. Or, you could take a taxi from the airport straight to the hotel which may be a little quicker but more expensive. For me, I like the adventure of taking a train, but it's really up to you or any guest on how they feel is best for them to get from the airort to the Marriott.

I've stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott and really enjoyed it a lot. For me, it's the only place I'd want to stay. But, fortunately there are many other nice hotels too. Breakfast there can be expensive, but you need to keep in mind that it's not necessarily the Marriott's breakfast that's expensive, but the fact that you are simply in an expensive city overall. You can choose the hotel's continental breakfast which is cheaper and offers a lot. For my stay, we had the full breakfast one day, and then the continental the rest of the stay. I love the Danish cheeses and bread, so this was perfect for me, but of course there were many other continental breakfast items to choose from as well.

The summer is near here in Copenhagen because the weather here in Copenhagen on saturday and sunday will be sunny and almost 30. Celsius.

And according to the calendar, sunday is also the first summer day so that is perfect. :-)

So happy cruising everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve and Danish Viking - We have returned from our Baltic cruise and our visit to Copenhagen. Thanks to both of you we truly did have a wonderful time in Copenhagen. We had no trouble walking to the Osterport train station, buying our clip of tickets and findng the C train to Klampenburg. Once there we walked to the Deer Park and saw the horse drawn carriages on the way. We decided to walk, however, since we needed the exercise after all the food on the ship. We walked quite a ways into the park looking for the deer. We saw an old structure that looked like an old barn. We turned around there without seeing any deer, but as soon as we made our turn we saw a big lone deer cross the path behind us. In about 2 more minutes we saw a whole herd of deer and we watched them make their way thru the thicket and eventually cross the road in front of us. One deer was white and another was black - very interesting. We walked back to Bakken and took some picutres there. Then we took the C train to the Enghave stop for the Carlsberg Brewery. There was no problem spotting the brewery and you were right it took about 12 minutes to find the entrance. We just kept walking around the brewery facility and finally found an official looking building and we knew we were close. There we asked for directions to the entrance. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour even tho they do not show you the current brewery operation. At the end they have a stop where we sent a video email from the brewery. Of course we ended with our two glasses of beer. You get to chose your glasses from many different beers and they also let us taste several others. We did not know that Tuborg was part of Carlsberg. When we were done we got directions to the #26 bus which as it turned out was only about 1 1/2 blocks from the entrance to the brewery. It is clearly marked "cruise ships" and we used our last 2 clips. Some other folks from the ship who boarded the bus with us were impressed that we had the clip tickets and did not have to buy tickets on the bus.

Well this may be more details than you ever wanted to know but you can tell how enthusiastic we are about our visit to Copenhagen and we thank you again for all your help and encourgement. Once again we had a very successful time following your excellent directions. Carole

Thank you so much for your time. Unfortualely we wiil not have the luxury of time in Copenhagen.

We will arrive at the airport at 9:00am and the ship leaves that same day a 5:00pm. The ship leaves from Freeport. We would like to do the following:

A canal cruise/tour

See changeing of guard at Amalienborg

Go to the Round tower

Go to the Ice Bar (have reservations at 3:00pm)

Will please advise what the most time effective way to do these. (assuming it is all is possible)

If we drop our luggage at the cruise terminal first, the what order should we proceed?

Does it make sense to purchase a clipcard or stamping card ? ( there are four of us)

Thank you for your thoughts

Have you been on your trip yet? Look forward to how you enjoyed Copenhagen.

Steve, we really enjoyed our 3 days in Copenhagen. I think we walked about 20 miles and enjoyed the unseasonal warm weather the end of May. Staying at the Radisson SAS Royal was the perfect location for us.

Many of your suggestions: Grofton's, ice cream at Tivoli with the strawberry jam and chocolate ball, visit to Rosenborg, etc, etc. made it a perfect visit.

Our only disappointment was the Stroget. Jam packed with people, several sleezy "shell" games going on, and little interest for us in the stores. It was not at all what we'd expected.

We again thank you for all of the help.

Barbara

@ Cadreamer

The trip sounds just wunderful, i think that the deers are one of the most elegant and beautiful animals in this part the world.

Did you try any rides at bakken or was is just a nice stroll around the park.

@ Glory7

You have to pay the entrance but it is just 80 kroners or somthing.

We are two families of 4 each going on a baltic cruise with princess in early august. We each have a teenage(17) boy and a (20) year old college junior girl. I am reading all the posts on copenhagen and would like your input as to an itinerary that would let us get a taste of this wonderful place we are visiting. We will be arriving from gothenburg by train on the 7th at around 5pm. From your other posts I was wondering if we should stow our luggage at the train and go immediately to Tivoli and then ask for a late check in from the marriot. After tivoli grab a taxi to the hotel. Next day get up early and go to all the castles and then head back to the hotel pick up luggage and off to the cruise. . Then our boat leaves on the 8th at 8pm. Am I delusional as far as thinking this is doable? If this is doable then what would be the easiest and fastest way to do this as far as transportation. I don't want to miss our ship and since I in the past have a tendency to pack so much in and not be realistic I would appreciate some feedback. We come back to copenhagen on the 17th at 1pm and then leave our ship on the 18th . For that day and evening any suggestions ? :rolleyes:

Thanks. D

:confused: We arrive in Copenhagen late afternoon, Saturday, July 5. We will go to our hotel (Norlandia Richmond) and then to Tivoli, which is nearby, for dinner and rides. Sunday morning we will take the train to the Louisiana Museum in time for the 10:00 opening. After having lunch there we will return to the city for Sunday mid-afternoon and evening and Monday morning, before boarding our ship. Since we are doing back to back cruises, we will also have several hours (9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) back in Copenhagen on Thursday, July 19. I need some advice as to how to schedule the things I want to see:

Rossenborg Castle, Christiansborg Palace, Stroget, Danish Resistance Museum and the Little Mermaid. What is best done when? Our ship will be docked at

Frihaven. Thanks for any logistical help you can give.

@ La Fonda.

It will be a good way to start your trip in Copenhagen, but remember that a small storage box cost 30 kroners and a big one 40 kroners.

The small one can take two sports bag so if you have alot of luggage the best thing is to take 2 or 3 big luggage boxes depending on how much luggage that you are taking with you.

If you are talking about the castles of North Zealand it is very doable, again just leave the luggage at the central station and take the train up north and when you come back to copenhagen just take a taxi to the Freeport Terminal.

First S-Train line E to Hillerød and Fredensborg Castle.

http://www.ses.dk/148000c

http://www.frederiksborgmuseet.dk/default.asp

Then Lokalbanen for Fredensborg Castle.

http://www.ses.dk/161000c

And finally lokalbanen further on to Helsingør/Elsinore and the Kronborg Castle.

http://www.kronborgcastle.com/

The journey home is with Øresund train (or Airport train) from Helsingør to Copenhagen central station.

The day after you cruise could be a good way to explore Copenhagen and visit all the sites.

From Mariott just start at the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek that is very close to the hotel. http://www.glyptoteket.dk/?frames=yes&language=en

Then the National Museum (Free Entrance)

http://www.nationalmuseet.dk/sw20374.asp

Then stroll around Strøget shopping street and visit the Round Tower

http://www.rundetaarn.dk/engelsk/frames.htm

Then Rosenborg Castle and the Crown Jewels

http://www.rosenborgslot.dk/asp/menu/menuPages/frontpage_2.asp?countryID=2

Then off to Nyhavn and the Canal boats (Nettobådene or DFDS Canal tours).

http://www.netto-baadene.dk/engelsk1.htm

http://www.canaltours.com/dct/en

One of the boats can drop you off at Mariott but i cant remember witch one.

Have a good trip.

Archived