Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Steve,

I have found your earlier posts to be very informative. Thank you for such great details.

Our trip is finally getting close now so I am getting down to the finer points of planning. Our family of 4 (2 yound teens) arrive in to Copenhagen mid afternoon on 8th August. I thought that the best thing to do after settling in to our hotel would be to take the family to Tivoli for the night, It is a Wednesday and I have read that this is "Firework Night".

We will then have the next day as a full day to sightsee. On our third day, our ship departs at 5pm so we still have time for some more sightseeing.

Do you think that we are best to see the "usual sights" of Copenhagen on our full day and catch the train to Frederiskborg Castle on our half day?

We would like to take the canal tour as well. Our family is fit and fully mobile so we don't mind walking. With all of this this in mind, I am unsure as to whether we should be contemplating things like HOHO buses, Copenhagen Card etc.Sooooo, the big question is - what is your advice/plan for us?Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jennie

Hi Steve,

I have found your earlier posts to be very informative. Thank you for such great details.

Our trip is finally getting close now so I am getting down to the finer points of planning. Our family of 4 (2 yound teens) arrive in to Copenhagen mid afternoon on 8th August. I thought that the best thing to do after settling in to our hotel would be to take the family to Tivoli for the night, It is a Wednesday and I have read that this is "Firework Night".

We will then have the next day as a full day to sightsee. On our third day, our ship departs at 5pm so we still have time for some more sightseeing.

Do you think that we are best to see the "usual sights" of Copenhagen on our full day and catch the train to Frederiskborg Castle on our half day?

We would like to take the canal tour as well. Our family is fit and fully mobile so we don't mind walking. With all of this this in mind, I am unsure as to whether we should be contemplating things like HOHO buses, Copenhagen Card etc.Sooooo, the big question is - what is your advice/plan for us?Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jennie

Hello Miss Jolly,

I will be happy to offer suggestions. But I'll have to get back to this when I have more time. Until then, here is a link to a thread that might give you some ideas, and I'll follow up soon. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=558501

I am happy you'll be visiting Copenhagen, and allowing yourself time before your cruise to explore this wonderful city. I think also hitting Tivoli on the fireworks night is a good idea too. What a way to celebrate your arrival. You stated that you arrive mid-afternoon, what time? Maybe you might have time to do the canal cruise after you check into your hotel. If not, we will work it in later on the next day, or the day of your cruise. I think you'll be surprised with how much you'll be able to do in this time. This will take me a little time to research into a few things for you, so I'll get back to this soon.

Miss Jolly,

What hotel are you staying at? I recommend you take the train to Hillerod to visit Frederiksborg caslte, and knowing which hotel you're staying at will help me find the closest train station to you.

Hi Steve,

Jennie

Hi...sticking my nose in where it wasn't asked for:D

We went to Copenhagen last September for a pre-cruise visit before boarding Princess Star for the Baltic cruise.

I agonized over this trip for over a year. I made plans and changed plans. I posted messages and got all kinds of advice from Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

I look back now and laugh at all the agony I put myself through. It was a wonderful trip...beyond wonderful. I put way way way too much time into it. Everything fell into place with such perfection.

I have Steve to thank for lots of that. He was always here to answer my posts. He never tired of my postings even when they appeared to be silly, insignificant, dumb... He was a great wonderful souce of info, so, stick with him. THANX STEVE!!

We did the HOHO one day and it proved to be a wonderful way to get around to see things.

Our only regret was staying at the Marriott. It was too far out. We would have done lots more but we were so tired when we got in that we couldn't face going out again that night.

After the cruise we stayed at the Square. It was tinier and a whole heck of a lot less luxurious than the Marriott but it didn't matter because we came and went all day and all night because it was so close to everything. We used it for rest breaks:)

We did not have enough time in Copenhagen (or enough money). It is unbelievably expensive. I was prepared for that but NOT prepared enough.

One other note: On our last night, as I was packing for boarding the ship, I wanted to see if any of my dinner dress slacks needed pressing. I slipped into one pair and laughed myself silly. They were way too big. I tried on all the others. Too funny. Couldn't wear one single pair. We had walked and walked and walked that week. I had lost in the legs and butt.

So, I can highly recommend Copenhagen as a great way to lose weight without trying and having a wonderful time while toning up;)

Have a great trip!

I have Steve to thank for lots of that. He was always here to answer my posts. He never tired of my postings even when they appeared to be silly, insignificant, dumb... He was a great wonderful souce of info, so, stick with him. THANX STEVE!!

CamelliaCity;

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate knowing I was able to help, and it was all my pleasure. I am glad to know you had a wonderful visit in Copenhagen. At that time, I was planning my own return to Copenhagen and Baltic Cruise. It was a wonderful trip, and certainly a busy one for me too. On the ship it was kind of funny that some of the other passengers knew of me, and surprisingly the cruise director, John, too. I attended a "Cruise Critic meet and greet," and discovered that there were people who were using some of the information I provided, or read what I had posted. That was fun, and helped to get to know some of the fellow travelers. Again, thank you for your kind comments, it was good to read and made me feel good today.

Steve

Haha, maybe if take a cruise someday i can be the famous Danish viking.

But i am very happy to read that all the information we are giving out is so helpful to others and if that someday arrive it is good to know that i can get alot of help from all of you.

Haha, maybe if take a cruise someday i can be the famous Danish viking.

But i am very happy to read that all the information we are giving out is so helpful to others and if that someday arrive it is good to know that i can get alot of help from all of you.

Danish Viking,

You have been very helpful to many people traveling to Copenhagen and Denmark. I am certain that if you were to take a cruise, many people would enjoy meeting you. I have read where many people have sought your advice on this board. You have been a big help to many. In addition, I am sure everyone would be anxious to offer you assistance when you visit the States.

Miss Jolly,

What hotel are you staying at? I recommend you take the train to Hillerod to visit Frederiksborg caslte, and knowing which hotel you're staying at will help me find the closest train station to you.

Hi Steve,

We will be staying at The Square Hotel. Looking forward to your advice.

Thank you for your help.

Jennie

Hello Miss Jolly,

I will be happy to offer suggestions. But I'll have to get back to this when I have more time. Until then, here is a link to a thread that might give you some ideas, and I'll follow up soon. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=558501

I am happy you'll be visiting Copenhagen, and allowing yourself time before your cruise to explore this wonderful city. I think also hitting Tivoli on the fireworks night is a good idea too. What a way to celebrate your arrival. You stated that you arrive mid-afternoon, what time? Maybe you might have time to do the canal cruise after you check into your hotel. If not, we will work it in later on the next day, or the day of your cruise. I think you'll be surprised with how much you'll be able to do in this time. This will take me a little time to research into a few things for you, so I'll get back to this soon.

Our flight is due to arrive at 3:15pm. Thank you for your time in helping my family.

Jennie

Hi Steve,

Sorry to pester you again but I am getting myself too confused. I do not know whether we should purchase the Copenhagen card or not. My main confusion re this is over transport. I am not sure how much transport we will need. The website for Copenhagen card gives a map where the card can be used for transport but it just looks like a lot of coloured lines to me. Thus, I can't tell where you can actually use it. People on these boards have given wonderful recommendations on HOHO bus, Canal tours, walking, cycling, train trips ... and now my head is spinning as to what we will use. We would like to see as much as possible but as economically as possible. Should I just be patient and wait for your plans for us?

Jennie

Hi Steve,

Sorry to pester you again but I am getting myself too confused. I do not know whether we should purchase the Copenhagen card or not. My main confusion re this is over transport. I am not sure how much transport we will need. The website for Copenhagen card gives a map where the card can be used for transport but it just looks like a lot of coloured lines to me. Thus, I can't tell where you can actually use it. People on these boards have given wonderful recommendations on HOHO bus, Canal tours, walking, cycling, train trips ... and now my head is spinning as to what we will use. We would like to see as much as possible but as economically as possible. Should I just be patient and wait for your plans for us?

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

You're not pestering me at all, and I've not forgotten you. In fact, I have been working on an itinerary or a suggestion on what you might do with your time. I have been adding to it during my free time, and it's a good thing I don't do it all at once, as each time I come to it, I think of more to write. Unfortunately, I am still not finished. Normally, I'd would have had it to you sooner, but I've been kind of busy, and now that the weekend is here, I am still busy. But, it's a work in progress, and we'll have it to you soon.

For now, I just want to quickly respond to his enquiry. Yes, it can be overwhelming with what to see and do, and how to do it. Once you receive my suggestion, you can simply add or subtract activities that interest, or don't interst you. But, the biggest benefit is that you'll have a foundation to work on, and it will help for things to finally fall in place for you.

I always found the Copenhagen Card to be confusing too with what is covered in transportation. So, after reading your enquiry, I had another look and I think I figured it out. Maybe you and I were the only ones to never get it before, but I think I have it now. I went to the Copenhagen Card website and clicked on the link which presents a map of where the Card is valid. As before, it just seemed like a map with a bunch of colored lines to me too. But, this time, finally, I noticed a black dotted line which covered most of the area on the map. At least that's my interpretation. This is actually a very large, and generous area, it will cover everywhere in Denmark you'll want to go during your stay. In my suggestion to you that I am working on, I am making some suggestions of places to visit outside of Copenhagen. So, it's nice to see that the Copenhagen Cards will cover all the areas I'll suggest to you. However, within Copenhagen it self, I simply recommend walking. I've never done a HOHO bus, so I can't recommend about that. You'll have to think about what you want to see and do, and if the HOHO bus will get you there if you wish to use it as a source of transportation. But, for me, I think walking is the way to go in this City. Copenhagen is very unique in this way, it's simply a walking city. I think with the suggestion I am working on for you, a HOHO bus is not necessary.

Having the Copenhagen Card is very convenient when using it as a form of transportation ticket. After all, you'll not have to worry about figuring out buying a train or bus ticket, how much to pay, and having foreign currency to do so. I bought the Copenhagne Card myself, and when comparing the cost to the cost of paying for each activity, I found that I had to do a lot of activities to make it pay for itself. On the other hand, there is the value of convenience for just having to make one purchase, the card, and then showing the card everytime you wish to use it.

That's all I have time for now. Just be assured it will all come together for you soon. The initital planning is always confusing, but eventually it all comes together. I think also it takes time to digest what you read, and when you read or research again a few days later, things are sometimes not as confusing. Hang in there.

Steve

Thanks Steve for your encouraging words. Mostly, I have thoroughly enjoyed the planning for our trip of a lifetime. A serious health scare with my son last year prompted us to stretch our finances and take this 2 month adventure. It is way above anything that we had ever previously envisaged for our family but we have decided to make the most out of life whilst we can.Consequently, I am trying to get the most out of every place we visit without overspending unnecessarily. We are looking forward to the places where we can walk independently but I do not want to miss anything. I absolutely love these boards ( and yes, my family say I am addicted - LOL) but at times I do become overwhelmed. As far as Copenhagen goes, I think I will just sit back and wait until I hear of this wonderful planning that you are so kindly doing for us. Words cannot express my gratitude to you for this. May I extend the other offers of help for you - whenever you visit Australia, I hope I can return the favour. I look forward to your advice and recommendations.

Jennie

Jennie, well here is the long awaited suggestion for your visit to Copenhagen. I am a little nervous it may not meet your expectation. I hope it offers some help.

Jennie, wow, are you coming in from Australia? That has to be a long flight. I am glad to see you’re up for going to Tivoli upon the evening of your arrival. Although I would do this myself as well, but I am guessing most people would rather crash in the hotel. I am glad for you that you’re ready to begin your Copenhagen adventure as soon as you arrive. For myself, I was a bit tired when I arrived, yet I was so excited, that my energy was renewed. Hopefully it will be the same for you too. A Danish friend met at the airport about 15 min. after we checked in, I introduced him to my parents, and then we went to Nyhavn for drinks. Later in the evening, I met some people who were to be on the ship with us and we met in Tivoli for dinner which was prearranged.

I got the message you’re staying at The Square Hotel. This hotel is located in a wonderful location. You’re right at the town square, Rådhuspladsen, and just a brief walk to Tivoli. Strøget is just across the street from the town square. The closest train station is Vesterport, about a 10 min walk. This is a smaller station than the main Copenhagen station and therefore hopefully less confusing for finding the correct platform.

I read where you stated you’re scheduled to arrive at 3:15 pm. You should probably be checked in to your hotel by 5 pm. Like me, you may want to freshen up and take a shower before heading out to the city. You may also be hungry since it will be dinner time. One option could be to go to Tivoli, there are many restaurants there, and you do plan to go to Tivoli that evening anyhow. Due to the northern location of Copenhagen, it can be quite late before it get’s dark, Tivoli is always best dusk and at night with all the lights. I see that Sunset should be around 9:02 pm on the 8th of August. So, if you were to go to Tivoli right away, it could be some time before Tivoli’s lights come on. Therefore, maybe you could eat elsewhere and come back to Tivoli after dinner. This way, you can not only visit Tivoli, but by having dinner elsewhere, see another part of Copenhagen. However, dinner in Tivoli is a great idea too.

You indicated that the fireworks in Tivoli are on Wednesday nights, but I checked the Tivoli website and it appears that Saturday is the fireworks night at 11:45 pm. http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-5941.chtm?type=2&q=&cat=0&date=08-06-2007&month=8&year=2007&offset=2 Fortunately there are other interesting activities and entertainment in Tivoli as well as the rides which I am sure your kids will enjoy. Go to the Tivoli website and check out all the entertainment options. http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-3351.htm

For dinner that evening, (or your second evening,) if you wanted to try something outside of Tivoli, explore a bit of the city before Tivoli, and then return to Tivoli after dinner, you could walk down Strøget and find yourself a restaurant. Two restaurants I recommend are Peder Oxe http://www.pederoxe.dk/ Bøf & Ost http://www.boef-ost.dk/ both of these restaurants are located in the same area, just a few yards apart. What I like best about these restaurants, and why I recommend, is the location where they are located which is in a small square, and specifically, outside dining if weather is good. It’s just off Strøget, maybe a 20 min. walk from your hotel. Also, the Round Tower http://www.rundetaarn.dk/engelsk/frames.htm is located nearby this area and perhaps after dinner, you can take a quick walk to the top for a view over the city. Then, make your way back to Tivoli for the rest of the evening. Also, as an alternative to Tivoli that evening, or something to do the next, is at 9 pm, the Night Watchman’s tour begins from Peder Oxe http://www.nattevaegterne.dk/uk_vaegter_frame.htm I’ve not taken this tour, but to me, it looks fun. Pending timing, you could dine, do the Round Tower, and then come back for the Night Watchman’s tour. All these things are in the same area, but to do them all would depend upon how soon you arrive in that area and finish dinner. Or, maybe you can do the Round Tower, http://www.rundetaarn.dk/engelsk/frames.htm then, dinner, then the night watchman’s tour. Again, it all depends upon your timing, and you could do this your first night, or second.

Or for dinner, you can continue on down Strøget where it ends, then continue across a park like area and on to Nyhavn and have dinner in Nyhavn at an outside café. People watching here is excellent. If you were to dine in Nyhavn, then maybe you could do the Round Tower and/or Night Watchman’s tour on your walk back, else continue back and go to Tivoli. Note: If you didn’t do Tivoli this night, you can do the next. Or, if you didn’t dine in Nyhavn your first night, then maybe you could come here your second night. Whether for dinner, tea, or a beer, I do recommend taking time at Nyhavn at one of the outside cafes. For me, this was the first thing I wanted to do when I arrived in Copenhagen, my Danish buddy and I went there just after I arrived and it was great.

These are just suggestions, I recommend you research restaurant other dining options, and of course, ask at your hotel for recommendations too. But, rather than selecting food that you might find at home, try to choose a restaurant where you can sample and try typical Danish food. I might add Copenhagen is a very expensive city. So, if price is a concern, you may want to ask at your hotel where they might recommend for good Danish food, but reasonably priced. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if they replied there is no reasonably priced food, but be persistent and ask where the “locals” go, and ask more than one person for additional advice.

If you do go to Tivoli for dinner, I recommend Grøften http://www.groeften.dk/engelsk/startframe.htm and Færgekroens Bryghus. The first, Grøften, is located just after the main entrance, and on the left. You can go to the website to email and arrange reservations, recommended. The later, Færgekroens Bryghus, is across from the small lake in Tivoli. Here, I prefer outside seating where you can view across the lake, very scenic. Typical Danish food items are served at both restaurants. I’ve always enjoyed were pork loin, small white potatoes with gravy, red cabbage, flat fish, just to name a few. Watch for bones in the flat fish.

Here’s a map I like to use, http://www.hot-maps.de/europe/denmark/copenhagen/homeen.html it’s an interactive map with train stations and sights listed. Train stations are located with a green S on the map. However, the real train stations should have a red sign with the S in the sign. Also, a good map is Google Earth, do you know it? If not, search for Google Earth, download the free software. Then, open the file, and up will pop up a globe of the earth. Move the earth over to Copenhagen and zoom in. It’s remarkable, and will help you with judging distances between one place to another. Using the map link I provided, find where your hotel would be located on H.C Andersons Blvd. Look behind the hotel and you will see the green S which is the Vesterport train station. As you can see, you will be very close to this station. I recommend you use this as your home train station. Take the street Jernbanegade as the street to walk from your hotel to Vesterport station.

Everyone has their own interest in what to see and do, and the pace they with to proceed, and how to spend their visit. What I might do may be different from one person to another. What I can offer is how I would visit Copenhagen and surrounding areas. But, you need to do your own research to see if these sights and activities interest you too, and what’s feasible per your schedule, pace, and family interest. Also, I’d like to note that I am all about squeezing in as much as possible. My suggested itineraries are aggressive, they go at a fast pace. This aggressive pace may not be to everyone’s interest or speed, but at least you can see what’s possible if you keep moving. For most, it may seem to be a rushed itinerary, but I am focusing on how to “see and do it all.” in the given time frame, and that’s my way. So, as a reminder, what I suggest is only that, a suggestion, my itinerary for you is to be used as a base, and from here, you can make adjustments that meet your needs.

I tired working out a schedule for you, based on what I would do, and no sooner when I finished one schedule, I reworked it another way. There are probably a dozen other ways to see these sights, but this will give you a start. I think it’s always good to just put something down to see what fits, then add and subtract to finally work it all out and see what makes sense.

We have already discussed options for what you might do the day you arrive. Now, we’ll focus on the rest of your stay. To start, I recommend going to Rosenborg Castle on the day after your arrival. http://www.rosenborgslot.dk/asp/menu/menuPages/frontpage_2.asp?countryID=2 Although I read somewhere something about restoration work. Therefore, you may want to enquire at your hotel’s concierge what is or is not open. To get to Rosenborg, walk toVesterport station and take the train to Nørreport station, which is only one station away. I guess you could walk, you see more of the City when walking, but you’ll have to start off earlier. From Nørreport station, Rosenborg is just down the street. Nørreport is an underground station, so make your way up, get your bearings, and walk to Rosenborg. Probably a 10 min. walk. Plan to be there are 10 am when they open! There are basically two floors to view, and the Crown Jewels in the underground level, which I affectionately refer to as the “basement.” For me, I’d allow an hour, but I realize some people make take longer. I think Rosenborg is a beautiful castle, it’s in a lovely park setting, but the castle itself is not really that large. In the Castle, there are a few people walking around, guards I guess, but they seem willing to share information, so by all means, ask them any questions you may have. At least for me they seemed anxious to help with information; I think it broke up their boredom.

Now, make your way back to Nørreport station and take the train to Hillerød to visit Frederiksborg Castle. http://www.ses.dk/391555f0 Hopefully this will be around 11:30 am, and you should arrive in Hillerød 45 minutes later at about 12:15 pm. Here is a link to a train travel planner, just plug in your departure station and arrival station, date and time of travel and you will see what times the train departs. http://www.dsb.dk/Rejseplan/bin/query.exe/en?L=vs_dsb& The Danish train system is excellent. There’s a train to Hillerød departing form Nørreport about every 10 min. Just make sure you get on the right train. The trains usually have the final destination stated on the train as it is the end of the track, and Hillerød is one such end point, but do ask for help. Everyone in Denmark speaks excellent English. In addition to a source of transportation to Hillerød, the train ride itself is an exposure to something that your kids may not have experienced. For the adults, you can see the countryside and towns from the view of the train offering a slight glimpse of the Danish world outside of the City. For me, the train was always a fun experience to people watch, see the countryside, and more of an experience and not just a method of transportation.

Ride time from Nørreport to Hillerød is 44 minutes. Once you exit the station, follow the signs to Frederiksberg Castle, possibly a 15 min. walk. Arriving at the Castle around 12:45 pm, tour the castle, and be sure to visit the chapel too. Hopefully there’s not a wedding, else you’ll probably not get to visit the chapel. The Castle also serves as a National Art Gallery so you will see plenty of pictures of people on the walls. Frederiksberg is the most beautiful castles in all of Denmark, and sits along a lake, very, very scenic.

Try to be back at the train station by 2:30 pm and take the train to Helsingør, about 27 min. away by train. If you get to the station later than 2:30 pm, that’s okay, perhaps you spent more time at the castle than I estimated, or did a brief walk around the pedestrian streets of Hillerød. The main thing is that if you decide to visit Kronborg Castle in Helsingør, the castle closes at 5 pm, and you’ll want to allow an hour and a half to visit, and it takes about a 20 min. walk to Kronborg from the train station. Therefore, plan your departure from Hillerød accordingly.

The train from Hillerød to Helsingør departs at 1 min, and 31 min after the hour. From the train station, walk, about 20 min., or take a quick taxi ride to Kronborg Castle, http://www.kronborgcastle.com . Here, you can look across and see over to Sweden. In the castle, visit the chapel, the casemates, and hopefully time for the maritime museum. In the castle itself, there’s not as much to see. Kind of sparse compared to Rosenborg or Frederiksborg, but still interesting. Therefore, touring the castle itself shouldn’t take long at all, same with the chapel and casemates won’t take long either, but all are interesting. The kids might especially like the casemates which was the dungeon. Do the casemates last, as it exits outside the castle. The maritime museum may actually have more to see. For me, an hour to an hour and a half is plenty of time for visiting all of Kronborg.

Around 5 pm, or later, that’s okay, be back at the train station, but before taking the train, visit the ice cream shop in the alley close to the train station, and buy everyone an ice cream cone. The ice cream shop is known as Brostraede Ice on Brostraede Street which is a pedestrian ally, very narrow, across from the train station. Buy a waffle cone with your choice of ice cream, with real whipped cream, strawberry jam, and a chocolate covered cream ball smooshed on top. Excellent! A definite must. Have one in Tivoli too, and Nyhavn as well By 5:30 pm take the train south to Copenhagen.

Now, you could continue to Copenhagen to go back to your hotel and get ready for dinner. But, if you have an hour to spare, get off at Klampenborg station and take a walk over to Deer Park. While your there, take a visit to Bakken, http://www.bakken.dk a very old amusement park. In fact, I think it’s the world’s oldest, but not that large really. It would not take long at all to do a walk around. I believe admittance is free, but don’t quote me on that, but the rides do cost. It’s definitely worth a peak. So, stop at Klampenborg, take a brief walk in the park, see the wild deer, maybe take a carriage ride, and walk through Bakken. I doubt most cruise visitors get to experience this area.

If you didn’t go on to Helsingør to view Kronborg Castle, or stop in Klampenborg to take a walk in Deer Park and take a walk around Bakken, then simply return to Copenhagen and take part in seeing sights that interest you.

When you’re done for the day, make your way back to the train station, and return home to Vesterport Station and your hotel. For the evening, have dinner, go to Tivoli if you’ve not already done so, or go again. Also, there’s a walk down Strøget to the Round Tower and/or the Night Watchman’s tour if you didn’t already do the day before. Dine at the options I previously suggested, perhaps a nice walk to Nyhavn and dinner there. Up to you with what you want to do, the main objective is to simply get out of the hotel and enjoy the city.

Next day, this is the day you begin your cruise, but first explore the rest of Copenhagen.

I understand your Ship departs at 5 pm. Some people want to board early, and I don’t blame them. Normally, I too want to board the ship ASAP. But for me, in Copenhagen, I wish to see as much of the city as possible, so when I visited, we waited till as late as possible before we checked in on our cruise. For me, I would feel comfortable boarding at 3 pm, maybe 3:30 pm. That would be my personal comfort level, but maybe you’ll want to check in sooner. Up to you, however, checking in later in the day you may avoid the long lines of passengers checking in.

Perhaps you can start the day with a morning canal cruise. The closest departure point is GL Strand. Use this link to find departure times, maps, etc. http://www.canaltours.dk/dct/en Take the 10 am tour, that’s the first one, and it returns at 11 am at the same location. From here, make your way to Amalienborg. http://www.ses.dk/15b000c Mind your time; you have an hour till the changing of the guards at 12 pm. If you’ve not done the round tower, maybe you can go up now if you hurry. It’s not too far from where the canal tour on GL Strand, and about a 10 min walk, and to walk up the tour, maybe 5 min.. Then, after the view from the top, make your way on to Amalienborg. At 1 pm there is a tour in English at Christainborg Palace of the Queens Reception rooms. http://www.ses.dk/397f55f0 Tour last about an hour, but you may want to email them to confirm. Christainborg Palace is actually back at the location where you took the canal tour at GL Strant. It’s a shame you can’t tour the Reception Rooms before or after the canal tour, but the English tours are at 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm. At 2 pm, after this tour, head back to your hotel and make ready to go to the ship. If a taxi is readily available, take it to save time. However, for also serving as the Parliament of Denmark, you’d think there would be plenty of taxi at Christainborg Palace, but when we were there, it took us a while to find one. Maybe it was weekend when we were there which might explain the lack of taxi. Just to add a note, if you miss Christainborg Palace, that’s okay. For me, I enjoyed the Reception Rooms, it was interesting, but if time is short, this is one activity you can miss. Or, if you skip Christainborg, you can use what’s left of your day for shopping on Strøget. I highly recommend Illum’s Bolighus, and any of the shops adjacent. This store is located in the small square on Strøget, very near GL Strand. You can’t miss it.

Or, if you skip Christainborg, then after Amalienborg Palace, take a nice walk along the channel to the Little Mermaid. However, it may be easier to stop by via taxi on your way to the ship. On your way to the ship, have the taxi stop at Little Mermaid on your way to cruise ship. It’s basically on the way, and only requires a 10 min. stop to take pictures. Plus, you’ll see the Little Mermaid from the canal cruise too, but only her back side. It’s up to you if you want to stop by again on way to ship to take a picture from the front. Since it’s not at all out of the way, I figure this the most efficient way to see the Little Mermaid.

Well Jennie, that’s it. If I were to visit Copenhagen, and had the time you have, the above is what I would try to do. But for you, or anyone else, maybe it’s too much, so certainly add to or subtract anything you wish. What I’ve provided is simply a foundation as one suggestion of what is possible, or to indicate options that exist. There are certainly other attractions that I’ve not listed. What I’ve presented are those that I feel are the primary highlights, at least in my opinion.

Feel free to ask me any details, or other questions. Sorry it took so long to present, but it just took me a while in my free time to write up. Nevertheless, I was happy to do it, it helps me to relive my fun days in Copenhagen. Anyhow, let me know if something does not make sence, or if you have additional questions.

I appreciate the offer for helping me if I come to Australia. In fact, in November 2008, I do hope to be able to visit for 3 weeks. This November I am going to New Zealand, but the following year, the plan is to visit Australia. I hope it works out that I get to go. I'd like to visit Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Ayers Rock area, and Cairns.

All I can say at the moment,Steve, is "WOW". I am a school teacher and this assignment is certainly worth an A+++. Seriously though, thank you very much for the wonderful plan and all of the time and effort in preparing it. I have had an unbelievably hectic day today and am just home. I'll reread it again later when I am refreshed so I can fully digest it all. I had better start planning for November 2008.LOL.

Jennie

Hi Steve,

Just a few questions please if I may before I head off to bed. I hope you don't mind. Do you think that the Copenhagen card would be useful for this agenda? I know I should do the maths but am unsure how to calculate transport fares. Do you think we could fit in the canal tour on Wednesday before Tivoli? I am not sure what time they stop running. Do you think we could fit in the Danish resistance Museum or should we give this a miss as we will be seeing plenty of Military History Museums on this trip. I can't wait to get there. By the way, we are not flying in straight from Australia. On 3rd August we fly to new York via a change of planes at San Francisco. We have 3 nights there and then on 7th August I will celebrate my birthday in 3 countries! We fly in to Zurich for 24 hours and whilst there will travel into Leichtenstein and then cross over the Austrian border. On 8th we fly from Zurich to Copenhagen but because some of our tickets are using frequent flyers, we have to travel via London - with a 3 hour wait. As you can see, we are used to trying to fit in as much as possible so your plan of hectic sightseeing does not frighten us. I think we will need a holiday when we get home! LOL. Thank you for all of your help.

Jennie

Hi Steve,

Just a few questions please if I may before I head off to bed. I hope you don't mind. Do you think that the Copenhagen card would be useful for this agenda? I know I should do the maths but am unsure how to calculate transport fares. Do you think we could fit in the canal tour on Wednesday before Tivoli? I am not sure what time they stop running. Do you think we could fit in the Danish resistance Museum or should we give this a miss as we will be seeing plenty of Military History Museums on this trip. I can't wait to get there. By the way, we are not flying in straight from Australia. On 3rd August we fly to new York via a change of planes at San Francisco. We have 3 nights there and then on 7th August I will celebrate my birthday in 3 countries! We fly in to Zurich for 24 hours and whilst there will travel into Leichtenstein and then cross over the Austrian border. On 8th we fly from Zurich to Copenhagen but because some of our tickets are using frequent flyers, we have to travel via London - with a 3 hour wait. As you can see, we are used to trying to fit in as much as possible so your plan of hectic sightseeing does not frighten us. I think we will need a holiday when we get home! LOL. Thank you for all of your help.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

Wow, you are getting around. Do you need info on San Francisco? Perhaps I can help you with what to see and do there too. Or at least make suggestions and recommendations. Will you be renting a car in San Francisco?

I will check on the Copenhagen Card. I had wanted to do that for you, but it would have required a little more time, and I wanted to send you what I had without additional delay.

As for the canal tour before going to Tivoli on Wednesday. I think you arrive on Wednesday correct? The canal tours end at 5 pm. Therefore, I didn't think you would make it in time. Otherwise, I probably would have suggested the canal tour first as a great way to relax and get an orientation to the city. Too bad they close so early. But, if you can get into Copenhagen earlier?

As for the Danish Resistance Museum, I believe that is located just a little north of Amalienborg. Perhpaps after viewing the changing of the guard, you can walk to visit the, Danish Resistance Museum. From there, the Little Mermaid is just a little further north along the channel. Therefore, rather than visiting the Reception Rooms in Christainborg, maybe this would be a good time to visit the Resistance Museum and Little Mermaid, then walk back to your hotel to get ready to check out and board your ship.

I will follow up with any suggestion I come up with on the Copenhagen Card.

Oh, I thought I would add that if your family likes military museums, then they might enjoy the maritime museum I mentioned at Kronborg Palace. It's been a while since I was there, but I seem to recall a lot of naval type museum pieces from back in the days when Denmark had a large sailing fleet. There may be info regarding the Battle of Copenhagen when Admiral Nelson bombed Copenhagen.

Steve

Steve!

Look at you sharing this wonderful information on Copenhagen! It's been so useful to me in my planning of my trip!

I had a quick question for you.... I've heard from someone else that getting a canal tour can be difficult because it is so packed. Is this true? I can't make a reservation as I don't have a large enough group. Do you think that getting a tour with either DFDS or Netto-Badene will be impossible?

Thanks!

Steve!

Look at you sharing this wonderful information on Copenhagen! It's been so useful to me in my planning of my trip!

I had a quick question for you.... I've heard from someone else that getting a canal tour can be difficult because it is so packed. Is this true? I can't make a reservation as I don't have a large enough group. Do you think that getting a tour with either DFDS or Netto-Badene will be impossible?

Thanks!

In terms of crowds for the canal tour, I am surprised to read that it's been said that getting a canal tour can be difficult. Perhaps that could be true, but it may depend upon the day and time of the tour. If you arrive at 11:50 am for a 12 pm tour, well, then yes, perhpaps that boat might already be full. Then, just take the next boat. Also, I would guess that mid-day, weekends might have the biggest crowds. However, these canal boats can fit quite a few people. What day of the week and time of day do you expect you'll be taking your canal tour? If perhaps when you arrive, and the earliest boat is full, then I think you would simply wait for the next. In short, I don't think you'll have a problem, but I'll admit I could be wrong. I know that DFDS has a canal tour that starts at Gammel Strand, aka GL Strand. It's just off of Stroget, and in my opinion, perhaps a little less known and crowded. After all, the other location is Nyhavn which is naturally a busy area, and it is there where I am assuming it might be crowded. When I was last there in 2005, the day we took the canal tour seemed to be an overall quite day, it might have been a Sunday, I can't fully recall. We did walk by Nyhavn and it seemed to have more people around as expected. But we took the canal tour at Gammel Strand becaue that was the only location that took credit cards, and it was not crowded at all. Yes, there were other people on or boat, but there were no crowds.

Another thing to consider, and I don't know how they sell their tickets, but if you can buy same day tickets in advance for a particular tour, then this might work. For example, if per your schedule you knew you wanted to take a tour a at 3 pm, and were in the area at 11 am, perhaps you can buy a ticket at 11 am for the 3 pm, and come back then. But overall, you'll probably be okay, again, if one boat does get filled, then just wait for the next. For me, this would not be a concern, yet, it is something good to be aware of and plan accordingly if you can. Don't show up 10 min before a tour and expect to get on. You might get on, but you might want to arrive a little earlier. I think you'll be fine.

Hi Steve,

Do you think that the Copenhagen card would be useful for this agenda? I know I should do the maths but am unsure how to calculate transport fares.

I think we will need a holiday when we get home! LOL. Thank you for all of your help.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

A teacher, I knew I should have used spellcheck. :-)

Yes, I always need a holiday when I get home. My trips are always very packed from the moment of arrival to when we return home. I am heading to Anchorage, Alaska in July for 5 days, and my agenda there is packed from sun up to sun down, and considering the sun doesn't set till around 11:30 pm, we will be very busy. In September I am going to San Francisco for a 3 day holiday weekend, and I'll be very busy then too. In my next three trips, Alaska, San Francisco, and New Zealand, I am taking the red eye flights home, and when I arrive in the morning, plan to go from the airport to work! How's that for packing everything in to every moment? Someone once wrote on a message board they were glad they were NOT traveling with me.

Now, to the Copenhagen Card. I do believe it will be a benefit for you to have the card. I've reviewed the details of the card and I believe you'll come out ahead. But, I do encourage you to check my homework! ;-)

I see the card cost 199 DKR for a 24 hour period. I believe that's the same price I paid, I am glad to see that there's not been a price increase for you. To start, lets say you go up the Round Tower after dinner. That will save you 25DKR, if that evening you went to Tivoli, that would save 75 DKR. Next day you visit Rosenborg Castle, you'll save 65 DKR. Then, you go to visit Frederiksborg Castle, save 60 DKR. If I am correct, the cost of these activites comes to 225 DKR, and you've only paid 199 DKR for the Copenhagen Card. Plus, we have not even factored in how much you saved by traveling by train all day to Norreport, Hillerod, Helsingor, Klampenborg, and Copenhagen stations. In addition, there's the convenice of not having to take time to purchase train tickets or passes, or carrying extra Danish Kroner currency. As for what it might cost you for train tickets, I am guessing an estimate of maybe about 100 DKR, but don't hold me to it.

Or, if you started out using the card on Thursday, visit Rosenborg, Frederiksborg during the day, then the Round Tower and Tivoli that evening, you'd still save the same amount. If did begin using the card on Thursday, and say you used the card at like 10:10 am for Rosenborg, then the card is valid till 10:10 am the next day which would enable you to use the card for a 10 am canal tour which I think offers a 20% discount which would save an additional 12 DKR. Or, if you didn't go to visit Kronborg after Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerod, then you could return to Copenhagen and use the card for other activiteis that might interest you.

If you visited Tivoli Wednesday night, and wanted visit Tivoli again, you might be able to gain entrance free a second time with the Copenhagen card depending when you first used the card. For example, if you sent in to Tivoli on Wednesday at 8:30 pm, and on Thursday, were there at 8 pm, or even 8:30 pm, then you could gain entrance for a second time. I do kind of encourage you visiting Tivoli twice if you can, after all, what else are you goind to do in the evening. Unless of course you were to take the Night Watchmans tour on one of your nights.

The Copenhagen card begins the moment you sign, date, and write in the hour of first use. For me, I didn't fill in the information, I left that to the ticket taker/checker to do. The primary reason was becaus the dates in Europe are written different than how we in the use write dates. For example, August 9, I would normally write 08/09/07, but in Europe, and perhaps Australia, it would be 09/08/07. Granted this is not a difficult task, but I just didn't want to mess it up by mistake or habit. As it turned out, in my case, I was able to simply show the card quite a few times before someone finally checked for date and time, and that turned out to be at our last activity.

In my previous suggestion to what you might do, I made a suggestion, of perhaps stopping at Klampenborg and visit Deer Park and Bakken when returning from Helsingor. I forgot to mentioned that the departure times seem to be at 7 min, and 37 min. after the hour from Helsingor.

Also, I previoulsy mentioned in a previous post that I might be able to help you with what to see and do in San Francisco, but as I reread your enquiry, I realize that maybe it's New York where you'll be staying three days, and not S.F. If so, I am familiar with New York City, and can also offer what I would do, or what I do, when I visit the big city. For enquiries outside of Copenhagen, you can email me at swdke@aol.com since such questions are not related to the Baltics Board. But for Copenhagen enquiries, I prefer questions to be posted here so that others may benefit.

Let me know if I left something out, or if there's an error in what I write, and feel free to ask any questions.

Archived