Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Steve!

Look at you sharing this wonderful information on Copenhagen! It's been so useful to me in my planning of my trip!

I had a quick question for you.... I've heard from someone else that getting a canal tour can be difficult because it is so packed. Is this true? I can't make a reservation as I don't have a large enough group. Do you think that getting a tour with either DFDS or Netto-Badene will be impossible?

Thanks!

jstducky, how was your trip to Copenhagen? Did you post a review anywhere for me to read? Hope you had a wonderful time. Steve

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Steve,

I would love your advice. We will arrive in copenhagen on May 28th in the late afternoon. We wil have a full day the following day. Our cruise leaves May 30th. we will be transferring from the Marriott at 12.30 to the pier with some members of our roll call. We plan to drop our hand luggage off after check in and then leave the ship again. What would you suggest we leave for that afternoon.

Thanks,

Pam

Hi Steve,

I would love your advice. We will arrive in copenhagen on May 28th in the late afternoon. We wil have a full day the following day. Our cruise leaves May 30th. we will be transferring from the Marriott at 12.30 to the pier with some members of our roll call. We plan to drop our hand luggage off after check in and then leave the ship again. What would you suggest we leave for that afternoon.

Thanks,

Pam

Hi Pam,

Glad to help. If I am correct, you're asking what to do in the afternoon on the day your ship sails. What time does your ship sail that afternoon, and what are you doing on your full day in the city?

I can tell you what I did with my day on our sailing date. We too stayed at the Marriott, a great hotel. In the morning of our sailing day, we took a taxi to Rosenborg Castle and was there when they opened. You can also take the train. Visiting Rosenborg takes about an hour, be sure to see the Crown jewels. From there, we took a taxi to Amalienborg Palace. I guess we could have walked to Amalienborg, but I was with my parents and it was just easier to take a taxi. As I recall, I had the feeling we were lucky to get a taxi as there just didn't seem to be much traffic in this area. So, if you wish to take a taxi to Amalienborg, be sure to allow time for flagging one down. However, we were a bit unlucky as our driver was Indian and didn't seem to know Copenhagen so well as he took us there the long way. I had the strong feeling we were being taken for a "ride" so he could get a higher fare, but it's quite likely he wasn't too bright. Or, maybe with driving Copenhagen streets, what I thought would have been the bests route may not have been so. At any rate, it was no big deal, not that big of a city, so it wasn't that much out of the way. At Amalienborg, we arrived by noon to see the changing of the Guard. Afterwards, we walked to Nyhavn, then on to Stroget, and near Christainborg we took a canal tour. After this, we were back to Christainborg after the canal tour, and went to Christainborg for the English tour of the Queens Chambers. After this, we took a taxi back to the Marriott. Yet, despite being in at the parliment building, it took us a while to get a taxi. This was kind of surprising becasue generally taxi are everywhere. So, be sure to allow time. Or, I guess after visting Christainborg, we should have walked back to Stroget and from there head towards the town square, Radhuspladsen. It would probably have taken us only 15 min had we done that, and from Radhuspladsen we could have easily found a taxi to take us on back to the hotel.

Just a note, as we were looking for a taxi at Christainborg, my aunt who was traveling with us seemed to have difficulty keeping off the bike path and was collided into by a person riding a bike. So, definately watch out for bikes, and keep off the bike paths on the street.

Back at the hotel, we asked the driver to wait as we collected our baggage. We had asked the hotel to hold our luggage after we had checked out in the morning. We were off again, and when we arrive at the ship, there was no que. I can't recall what time the ship sailed.

That's how we spent our last day in Copenhagen before the cruise. I understand you plan to go to the ship, then go out into the city. I had thought about that too, but with doing what I wanted to do, and becuase of the tour time at Christainborg, it was better logistically to complete our day's activity then go to the ship.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for such a quick response. We went back and forth deciding when to go to the ship. Checking in and leaving worked well for us on our last Med cruise. I do like your suggestions and though they were planned for our full day I can switch things around. We love to explore and are big walkers so walking is not a problem for us and I always find that the best way to see a city is to walk it.

I have just started my research and was trying to back in to the time available. I know there will be a lot more to add as I do my homework. Please can you give me your thoughts.

The day we arrive will be fairly late and we will probably get to the hotel around 5pm. I believe we will be too late to take a canalboat tour. I thought about doing Nyhaven that evening but we have time to do something before.

Our full day I would love to take the train to Hillerod and visit Frederiksberg Castle. I love castles. I know we have to stop for ice cream on our way back to get the train. We will spend a little time there and then head back to do Amalienburg. Don"t know if we have enough time to get back for changing of the guards. I believe Rosenborg is fairly close by. We would do the tour and then climb the tower. I need to do some more research to fill in the rest of the day. I think we will see Tivoli that evening.

The morning we leave for the ship I was thinking about keeping the morning simple and possibly taking a walk on the stroget, perhaps a little shopping. Walking down to the square. We would like to see the synagogue too. Or do we do this in the afternoon after we check in on the ship. However it will be Friday and it may be hard to see the synagogue if it gets late as I do not know when they have service on Friday evening.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Pam

Steve,

Oops.:p I was going to fast and left off one of my castles. After visiting Frederiksborg we wanted to take the train to Helsinger to visit Kronborg Castle. That is where the ice cream is for after not Hillerod as in previous post. Have I just made our day too full?

Pam

Steve,

Oops.:p I was going to fast and left off one of my castles. After visiting Frederiksborg we wanted to take the train to Helsinger to visit Kronborg Castle. That is where the ice cream is for after not Hillerod as in previous post. Have I just made our day too full?

Pam

When I was last in Copenhagen, we had about the same time as you before we took a Baltic cruise. We arrived at the hotel around 5 pm, then a full day the next day, and on the 3rd day departed in the evening. I see you shlp departs Copenhagen at 8 pm, this should give you a good full day to tour the city.

In terms of checking into the ship at noon, or later in the day as we did, depends upon what you feel comfortable with, and the logistics of seeing and doing all that you want to accomplish. There's much to see and do on the day you sail, and you can do a lot, but just make sure you have it all planned out and follow the plan.

For you arrival day, after you check into your hotel and freshen up, I suggest you get out and into the city. I think you arrive on a Thursday. I may be wrong, but I believe some of the shops may close around 6 pm, nevertheless, I encourage you to go for a walk into the city. Head off towards the town square, aka Radhuspladsen, and from there, make your way down stoget, and checkout what ever stores are open. My favorite is Illums Bolighus. In addition to walking and checking out the sights, you might be getting hungry. Two restaurants I'd recommend checking our are either Bøf & Ost or Peder Oxe, they are located next to each other, located on Graabroedretorv, which is one of the streets behind and parallel to Stroget. Kind of behind Illums Boligus, more or less. Definately check a map, or the concierge at the hotel for accurate directions. Around 9 pm there used to be a Night Watchman's tour departing from Peder Oxe. I don't know if the tour is still conducted, nor have I ever been on the tour. But, I always thought it looked like fun. Also, very nearby is the Round Tower, which is a definate must. Go to the top of the Round Tower. It's not altogether that high, and yet you get a wondeful view of the city, just above the roof tops.

Or, you could continue on down to Stroget and find a cafe along Nyhavn. If you're lucky, and it's warm and sunny, then I definately recommend walking straight to Nyhavn, and selecting any cafe for outside dining. Or a drink at the least. On the way back to the hotel from Nyhavn, stop at the Round Tower then.

For Friday, your full day, take the train to Hillerod to visit Frederiksborg castle. You could also rent a car for the day, but it's not really necessary unless you added extra side trips. For example, only if you had a car, you could drive to Roskilde to the Viking Ship Museum, I think they open at 9, and to get as much done in this day as possible, I recommend you arrive when they open. It does not take that long to visit the museum itself, and a guided tour in English would be recommended to better appreciate. Then, you can also visit the great Church in Roskilde where all the Kings and Queens are burried. Then head on to Hillerod. Without renting a car, it will not be possible to visit Roskilde and the Castles in the north too. I am not suggesting you need to rent a car, I am just presenting to you options.

Anyhow, once in Hillerod visit Frederiksborg castle. Then, drive or take the train to Helsingor to visit Kronborg. If you did have a car, you can make a quick visit to the Queens Summer Palace, Fredensborg Palace. It's a much smaller palace, but the grounds are beautiful, and you can walk around. You can also get here by train or bus, but keep in mind public transportation can slow you down when like for example you have to wait an hour for the next train and such. Therefore, you must know the departure times, and locations, and stick to your schedule.

In Helsingor, you visit Kronborg castle. Be sure to visit the casemates too. It's just a 10-15 min walk under the castle, kind of like the dungeon, and relatively not much down there, but nevertheless when you use your imagination as to what it must have been like "back in the day" it's kind of erie, and fun.

On the way back to Copenhagen, there are two other options, one is to stop in a town called Humlebæk, just south of Helsingor, and visit the Lousiana Museum of Modern Art. If you're into this, it's worth considering. Train stops near the museum. Further south, closer to Copenhagen, is Klampenborg train station which is right at the entrance of Deer Park, and an amusement park called Bakken. I think the amusement park is free admittance. It kind of reminds me of a perminant carnival. There are indeed deer in the park, and carriage rides available.

Then, you head back to Copenhagen for Tivoli, and what a fun night that will be. I recommend dining in Tivoli and the restaurant I recommend is the one we went to which is Groften. You can look up their email address and make a reservation which I recommend. They have all sorts of delicious Danish food there. Ask your server options or selections for typical Danish food. Tell them you want a typical Danish dinner, and see what they suggest. Then have a nice walk around Tivoli. Have another ice cream cone in the old fashoned cones with real whipped cream, strawberry jam, and a chocolate cream ball squished on top.

For the next day, I've already made suggestions based on what we did. I do recommend visiting Rosenborg as mentioned, the changing of the guard at noon at Amalienborg, and the canal boat tour. Then you can do some shopping at Stroget. I previously mentioned Christainborg Palace, but only if you can fit in your schedule the English tour of the Chambers. Otherwise, if you can't fit it in your schedule, don't worry about it.

With regards to your full day, I mentioned quite a few options. You should be able to accomplish most, but perhaps not all, not even if you have a car. At the minimum, I recommend Frederiksborg castle in Hillerod, Kronborg castle in Helsingor, and a quick stop at Klampenborg to Deer Park (if the weather is good.) The other activities I mentioned are options if you're interested, but you have to research the logistics as to what is possible given transportation times, and time spent at the various destinations.

As I review one of your recent post, you seem to mention visiting Amalienborg and the Round Tower, I think, on the same day you'd be visiting Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles. If so, I do not believe these can be accomplished on the same day. Instead, I'd visit the Round Tower on the day you arrive as you walk around the city, or maybe leave till your cruise day departure. I'd also leave visiting Amalienborg to your departure day as well. Additionally, if you can't see the changing of the guard, or fit it in your schedule you can probably pass on Amalienborg altogher.

I hope I've helped some, there's so much to see and do in this wonderful and beautiful area. You just need to prioritize options that interest you most, and figure out how to fit it all in during your stay.

You also mentioned a synagogue, I am not familiar with this, but hopefully you can find a website or email address, and I am sure they can help you with location and service times.

What ever you do, you'll have a fantastic time.

Steve,

Thank you so much for your advice. Yes I realised once I had missed the one castle that I had too much on the full day. I think we will purchase the Copenhagen card and that will be good for the train and the castles. There is a lot to see and the more I read the more there is. Thanks for the recommendations for the restaurants for our first evening and the stores on Stroget.

Pam

• 1 month later...

I have one question and I hope I have not missed it somewhere in all your suberb information, you had mentioned that you went to Hillerod and Hellingor, in the Rich Steves book it has take the train to Hillerod and in brackets it has 6hr 45min does than mean it takes that long to get there by train? Thanks for any info We are doing a baltic cruise in June on the Crown Princess and are spending 3 days prior to the cruise so we can see this beautiful town.

• 2 weeks later...
I have one question and I hope I have not missed it somewhere in all your suberb information, you had mentioned that you went to Hillerod and Hellingor, in the Rich Steves book it has take the train to Hillerod and in brackets it has 6hr 45min does than mean it takes that long to get there by train? Thanks for any info We are doing a baltic cruise in June on the Crown Princess and are spending 3 days prior to the cruise so we can see this beautiful town.

Lisette,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been on a skiing trip and just returned this morning, and am now just getting caught up. In reference to your question, no, it does not take 6hr 45 min. to get to Hillerod. I do not know what that would be referring to. Between Copenhagen and Hillerod, the train should take only about 45 min.

Is it an easy walk from the port to the canal ride?

What is the current price pp and I am thinking of the one hour narrated tour since this will be our first visit . Regarding the line-ups ; in mid- July, if we walk over at 10 am, is it just a matter of waiting for half an hour or can it be backed up for many hours when a cruise ship is in town?

Thanks for any help!

Is it an easy walk from the port to the canal ride?

What is the current price pp and I am thinking of the one hour narrated tour since this will be our first visit . Regarding the line-ups ; in mid- July, if we walk over at 10 am, is it just a matter of waiting for half an hour or can it be backed up for many hours when a cruise ship is in town?

Thanks for any help!

It depends upon where your ship docks. If your ship docks at Free Port, then it can be a bit of a walk, maybe 30 min minimum, possibly longer. Not quite as far if your ship docks closer to the city at Langelinie. See map http://passthrough.fw-notify.net/download/698753/http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/media(2505,1033)/Kort.pdf

I believe there are two companies that offer guided canal tours. Both are probably identical, and I believe one is cheaper. The one I am most familiar with is DFDS Canal tours, which I think is the slighly more expensive one. Here is a web link. http://www.canaltours.dk/DCT/EN/GuidedSightSeeing/

DFDS offers tours from two locations, Nyhavn, and GL. Strand. GL Strand if off of Stroget, and near Christainborg Palace. It is from GL Strand where you will find a shorter line, if any, and tours are identical, whether from GL Strand, or Nyhavn. Also, the GL Strand location takes credit cards I believe.

This website gives location of GL. Strand location and information. http://www.canaltours.dk/DCT/EN/GuidedSightSeeing/GlStrand/

In terms of waiting long hours for a canal tour when ships are in, I can not say as I have no experience with this. I will say that although the canal tour is a great activity, I highly recommend, I would never wait hours for a tour, and to be honest, I am skeptical it actually would take that long as these canal boats hold a lot of passengers. As you walk to Nyhavn, checkout the wait, and ask. If it does appear to be long, then head to GL. Strand, it should be shorter.

Another reason to go to GL. Strand is that you'll want to walk down Stroget anyhow, so while you head to the canal tour at GL. Strand, you'll also get to view all the shops and people watching on your way down Stroget.

SWDKE - you have provided some great information. We are only in Copenhagen for the day (ship leaves at 6 pm) and I want to visit the highlights in Copenhagen as well as a side trip to either:

first choice Hillerod

second choice Roskilde

third choice Dragor.

Without jeopardizing the Copenhagen portion can you advise me on "not to be missed sites in Copenhage(assuming we will go the one of the towns first thing in the morning and be back in Copenhagen around 12:30-1 pm. This would give us a minimum of approx. 4 hrs in Copenhagen.

We are willing to forgo Tivoli and the Changing of the Guard.

Your thread is very long and I have only started to read all the great info; I hope my question hasn't already been asked!

I appreciate the information you offered. The first link doessn't work, however, but I will try it again later .

Seems like it would be an easy enough option to do the canal cruise on our own. The cruiseline offers an excursion but the price is quite high for what seems to be a simple arrangement.

You have been very helpful!

I appreciate the information you offered. The first link doessn't work, however, but I will try it again later .

Seems like it would be an easy enough option to do the canal cruise on our own. The cruiseline offers an excursion but the price is quite high for what seems to be a simple arrangement.

You have been very helpful!

jspirit, sorry the link does not work. Just do a search on cruising copenhagen, or copehnagen cruise ports. You should be able to find a site that offers information and maps of the two copenhagen cruise ports, or do a search under Freeport and Langelinie in copenhagen. More importantly, you need to find out which port your ship uses. Have fun.

SWDKE - you have provided some great information. We are only in Copenhagen for the day (ship leaves at 6 pm) and I want to visit the highlights in Copenhagen as well as a side trip to either:

first choice Hillerod

second choice Roskilde

third choice Dragor.

Without jeopardizing the Copenhagen portion can you advise me on "not to be missed sites in Copenhage(assuming we will go the one of the towns first thing in the morning and be back in Copenhagen around 12:30-1 pm. This would give us a minimum of approx. 4 hrs in Copenhagen.

We are willing to forgo Tivoli and the Changing of the Guard.

Your thread is very long and I have only started to read all the great info; I hope my question hasn't already been asked!

Hi goldenprincess53,

I am all about cramming in as much as possible in a day. But to see the city highlights and visit a village in the country can be very tight, but not necessarily impossible. It just depends upon your priorities. I understand you have a day in Copenhagen, and that your ship leaves at 6 pm. Do you overnight the night before, or do you arrive in port in the morning? I am assuming your ship arrives the same morning on the day you're departing.

You state you would like to visit Hillerød, I assume you wish to visit Frederiksborg castle. The castle opens at 10 am. To be there when the castle opens, I suggest you depart Copenhagen no later than 9 am. It's about a 40 min. train journey, and a 15 min. walk to the castle. Here's a link that might help with train schedules http://www.dsb.dk/Rejseplan/bin/query.exe/en?L=vs_dsb& You will take the E train to Hillerød, it departs from many Copenhagen stations at 20 min. intervals. If your ship docks at Freeport, then Nordhavn station may be the closest. If the other port, then Osterport station may be the closest.

Estimate about an hour to an hour and a half of touring the castle, pending on how fast you move through the castle. Allow more time if you wish to walk around the gardens. So, let's say by 11:30 am, you're ready to head back to Copenhagen. That may put you back in Copenhagen at around 12:40 pm, which seems to be what you've already estimated.

From Hillerød, take the train to Copenhagen, and get off at the Main station, or Vesterport station. From there, just do a walking tour for the rest of your day and enjoy the sights of this wonder medieval city. From the train station, first walk to the town square, Radhuspladsen. From there, walk down Strøget. On a particular section of Strøget called Gammeltorv, there are some great shops. I recommend a quick visit to Illums Bolighus, it's my favorite. Wow, things in there are expensive, but I just love the Danish design. As you walk on, go to GL. Strand, aka Gammel Strand, take a canal boat tour.

So, from arriving back to Copenhagen to getting to Gammel Strand for the boat tour and maybe a quick walk through Illums Bolighus, it maybe around 2 pm by the time you reach the canal boat tours. Tours depart every 30 min, and a tour last an hour, and is very interesting. If you're able to be there in time to take a 2 pm or 2:30 pm tour, then you'll be finished by 3-3:30 pm. That leaves you with about 2 hours in your day. After the canal tour, go on down Strøget to Købmagergade to go up the Round Tower. Going up and down the Round Tower takes about 30 min. That's about a 5 min. walk up, 20 min. of viewing or less from the observation area, and 5 min. back down. After the Round Tower, go on down Strøget to Nyhavn, and have a look or stroll around Nyhavn. As you walk down Strøget, at any point of the day, be sure to sample local foods. Maybe an ice cream, or better yet, a bakery, or maybe try an open face sandwich. End your walking tour in Nyhavn, and take a short taxi ride back to your ship. Ask any local where you can find the closest taxi. If you have time, enjoy a quick beer or soft drink at one of the many cafes along Nyhavn. Great people watching.

What I've described is just a suggestion, and is what I would do, but assumes you move along at a quick pace. If you do this itinerary, be mindful of your time, keep moving along, and you should be able to accomplish this walk of the highlights of the city.

Hum, another option if you want to visit another castle might be to get off at the Norrerport station and walk to Rosenborg castle. It's only a 5-10 min. walk from Norrerport station. The castle takes less than an hour to view, and also has the Crown jewels. If you do this, then something has to give as you can't do this, plus what I've suggested above. Perhaps after touring Rosenborg, then walk back towards Norrerport station, then take the pedestrian street to the Round Tower, then on to Nyhavn. If you find you have time still to kill, then from Nyhavn, take a canal tour. Canal tours also depart from Nyhavn.

As I said, it all depends upon your interest and priorities, but what I've suggested is possible if you keep moving and don't dally.

Enjoy Copenhagen!

Hi goldenprincess53,

I am all about cramming in as much as possible in a day................I said, it all depends upon your interest and priorities, but what I've suggested is possible if you keep moving and don't dally.quote]

Thank you so much! You have answer and reconfirmed my decision. We arrive at 8 am/depart at 6 pm on same day and yes, this is an aggressive itinerary planned for Copenhagen. It just seems that this is the only port where I can accomplish my desire for to see country and city. The docks are close to the city; transportation is very direct and the city itself is walkable.

I hope to be off the ship as soon after we dock as possible (along with the 3000 other passengers!) Between Rick Steeves, the John Lawrence video and Google Earth, I'm feeling comfortable about where to go and you have reconfirmed the highlights I was considering - and I hadn't thought about the canal tour but that is a bonus!

Thanks again!

Seems like you've done well in your homework and research for Copenhagen. Yes, transportation is easy, and Copenhagen is a walking city for sure. What you've planned is doable, and is exactly what I would do given the time frame available. But, keep moving. You don't have to rush, just don't linger. You'll do just fine.

Hi Steve- I was so pleased to see that your threads have stayed alive. We'd posted back and forth quite a bit before your cruise in 2005 until we had to cancel due to DH's hurting his back two weeks before we were to sail. We booked for last Sept and had to cancel once again because DH had to have a triple by-pass 4 weeks before we were to leave.

Here we are again planning to leave in 6 weeks (3rd time is the charm :D ) but this time we are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale on the Crown for a TA then the Baltics with 3 days post cruise in Copenhagen. We moved since 2005 and sadly I threw away all the information we'd collected so have a couple of questions for you.

We are staying at Radisson SAS Royal and I'm wondering about how long it would take to walk to Peder Oxe from there? Would it be safe walking back to the hotel after dinner?

You mentioned Amalienborg and seeing the changing of the guards but not the museum. Do you know anything about the museum or would you just suggested going for the guard changing?

How long would you estimate we'd be at Christiansborg Palace if we wanted to take the Royal Reception Rooms Tour and see the Riding Ground Complex plus the Royal Stable & Carriages Museum?

When you say 1 hour for Rosenborg Palace is that seeing everything available or just a "quick" look?

Do you still recommend Groftens for dinner? Is it best to make a reservation before we leave home? Is it best to get to Tivoli right at our dinner reservation time and then enjoy our time there after dinner? We won't be doing any rides and I'm wondering about how long to allow for our visit.

Need a suggestion for some place near the City Hall Square or the hotel for dinner. Vesuvios looks like it might be good but need another one.

Have you ever been to see the World Clock in the city hall? I'm wondering if time would be better spent elsewhere?

On our list now are the following: Town Hall, Stroget, Round Tower, Rosenborg Palace, Netto canal boat tour, lunch at Nyhavn 17, Tivoli and dinner at Groftens, Christiansborg Palace, Little Mermaid and Gefion Fountain. In transit we'll be doing Frederiksborg, Kronborg and Fredensborg Castles so want to spend our post cruise days in Copenhagen.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for keeping this thread alive and continuing to be of such a great help for all those going to Copenhagen.

Barbara

Hi Steve- I was so pleased to see that your threads have stayed alive. We'd posted back and forth quite a bit before your cruise in 2005 until we had to cancel due to DH's hurting his back two weeks before we were to sail. We booked for last Sept and had to cancel once again because DH had to have a triple by-pass 4 weeks before we were to leave.

Here we are again planning to leave in 6 weeks (3rd time is the charm :D ) but this time we are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale on the Crown for a TA then the Baltics with 3 days post cruise in Copenhagen. We moved since 2005 and sadly I threw away all the information we'd collected so have a couple of questions for you.

We are staying at Radisson SAS Royal and I'm wondering about how long it would take to walk to Peder Oxe from there? Would it be safe walking back to the hotel after dinner?

You mentioned Amalienborg and seeing the changing of the guards but not the museum. Do you know anything about the museum or would you just suggested going for the guard changing?

How long would you estimate we'd be at Christiansborg Palace if we wanted to take the Royal Reception Rooms Tour and see the Riding Ground Complex plus the Royal Stable & Carriages Museum?

When you say 1 hour for Rosenborg Palace is that seeing everything available or just a "quick" look?

Do you still recommend Groftens for dinner? Is it best to make a reservation before we leave home? Is it best to get to Tivoli right at our dinner reservation time and then enjoy our time there after dinner? We won't be doing any rides and I'm wondering about how long to allow for our visit.

Need a suggestion for some place near the City Hall Square or the hotel for dinner. Vesuvios looks like it might be good but need another one.

Have you ever been to see the World Clock in the city hall? I'm wondering if time would be better spent elsewhere?

On our list now are the following: Town Hall, Stroget, Round Tower, Rosenborg Palace, Netto canal boat tour, lunch at Nyhavn 17, Tivoli and dinner at Groftens, Christiansborg Palace, Little Mermaid and Gefion Fountain. In transit we'll be doing Frederiksborg, Kronborg and Fredensborg Castles so want to spend our post cruise days in Copenhagen.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for keeping this thread alive and continuing to be of such a great help for all those going to Copenhagen.

Barbara

Hello Barbara,

Good to hear from you again! I hope everyone is healthy and able to make this wonderful trip to Scandinavia.

Let me see if I can try to answer your questions. I read that you're staying at the Radisson SAS Royal. The hotel is indeed in a good location. You're very close to two train stations, the main station (Kobenhavn H) and Vesterport. This is very convenient if you wish to take a train outside the city. Plus, you're close to Tivoli, the town square (Radhuspladsen), and of course, the famous shopping pedestrian street, Strøget. The walk to Peder Oxe restraunt (http://www.pederoxe.dk/English/index_english.htm ) from your hotel will probably not seem long. It's more than 15 min., but possibly less that 30 min. I would allow at least 30 min., but it could be less. It all depends on your pace and if you stop to look at things. It's a great walk, not really far, and yet so much to see and look at, the walk will go by fast. To get there, walk towards the town square (Rådhuspladsen), walk down Strøget, turn left onto Klosterstraede, then right on Gråbrødrestraede which becomes Gråbrødretorv. Another restaurant, right along Peder Oxe is Bøf & Ost, (http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/composite-2535.htm?RestaurantId=5588 ) you may want to have a look at them too. Particularly if it's warm and you can sit outside. As in any large city, there are many restaurants to choose among. Be prepared for higher prices. The Danes enjoy a high standard of living, and this is not achieved by cheap prices. ;-) Walking back to your hotel after dinner, yes, it will be safe. Copenhagen is a thriving city, and an extremely pedestrian city. A lot of walking is a way of life there, and you should be and feel safe at all times. Besides, you're surrounded by pedestrian streets, by the time you found a taxi, you'd be more than 1/2 way back to your hotel.

Also, at Pedre Oxe is the meeting point for the Night Watchman's tour. I've never taken this tour, but I think it might be interesting. http://www.nattevaegterne.dk/uk_vaegter_frame.htm You may wish to email them to confirm they still operate this tour. info@nattevaegterne.dk

About Amalienborg, I've not talked about the museum because I've never been there. So, I can't really comment about it. I would say that if you have the time, then by all means, visit the museum. See everything you can in the time you have. But, in terms of making it a priority, or what I call a "must see," I can not comment upon one way or the other.

Christainborg Palace, here I've only taken the guided tours of the Royal Reception Rooms. I believe the tour last about an hour, and I recommend only if you take the English tours which are at 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00. I've also visited the Ruins under Christainborg Palace, and that took about 30 minutes, you could probably go faster and see it in maybe 15-20 min. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Riding Ground Complex or the Royal Stable & Carriages Museum. However, I urge you to email them for better information. I suggest you email to staldmesteren@kongehuset.dk and kommunikation@ses.dk. You should get the information you need in terms of what to see/do and how much time to estimate. Also, I noticed on the Christainborg Palace website that for hours of the Royal Stable & Carriages Museum, that one should call +45 33 40 26 77, which leads me to think that maybe the hours there are variable. Therefore, be sure to email them to see if they are open on the day you plan to visit.

Rosenborg Palace: When I say to allow an hour to visit, yes, that is a quick look. Certainly it could take longer, but for me, no way would I spend more than an hour and a half there. I love the Castle, and the grounds are beautiful, but, it's more like a 2 or three story mansion, and if I recall, you only visit 2 floors, maybe 3 floors, but I seem to only remember 2. What might take time to view are the Crown jewels in the underground level, which may take more time. I guess of your trying to estimate time, I'd allow 90 min. if you normally go at a quick pace as such things, but if you go slower, and then maybe allow 2 hours. But, if you were in a hurry, then 1 hour would be plenty.

Restaurants in Tivoli, yes, I do recommend Grøften. http://www.groeften-uk.dana11.dk To make reservations, simply email them at info@groeften.dk Grøften has several dining rooms, 5 I think. We sat in the garden area which I liked best. But, I now see that the garden is also the smoking area too. I don't care much for smoking, so I'd now have to think twice about sitting in the garden. Grøften does have dining rooms with windows looking out into Tivoli, if you don't like smoking, then maybe ask for a room and table next to the window looking out onto Tivoli. Up to you as to whether to dine first then see Tivoli, or vice versa. For me, I'd rather eat first, and then walk off dinner by walking around Tivoli. Plus, Tivoli is best seen in the evening with all the beautiful lights. Then, after walking around, be sure to get a ice cream in Tivoli. Tivoli opens April 17, will you be there after that date? Back to Grøften, I also like this place because dining in Tivoli can be expensive, and thought still perhaps expensive, more affordable when compared to other restaurants. Also, Grøften is easy to locate as it is just left of the entrance once inside Tivoli. Best of all, it's a good place to get typical Danish home cooking. Talk to your server, tell them you're interested in a typical homestyle Danish cooking, and see what they suggest. As the server what would their grandparents order? I urge you to try Danish cooking vs. ordering what you can get at home or elsewhere.

Speaking of Danish food, I can not stress enough the importance of trying anything at a Danish bakery. You should be able to find some along Strøget, or ask at your hotel where to go for the nearest best bakery.

Yes, I have seen Jens Olsen's World Clock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Olsen's_World_Clock if you have time, by all means, stop in and check it out. It’s an activity very easy to visit. It’s inside the town hall, and only takes about 15 min. to check out, or longer in you’re like my uncle and into clocks. All in all, this will not take up much of your time.

It seems like you have your trip to Copenhagen well planned out. Other activities to consider if you have the time, is to take a train to Roskilde, about 30-45 min, and walk to the Viking museum. Although viewing the museum is better appreciated if you can take a tour in English. It’s not a big museum, takes about 31-45 min. to see. To my surprise, this was a highlight for my Mom and aunt. Also, in Roskilde, is the big church where all the Danish Kings and Queens are buried.

Another side activity is to visit Dragør. It’s located between Copenhagen and the airport, and is simply a quaint little village, just interesting to walk around. Take a taxi or bus. Not really an activity to do here, but to just walk around this quaint little village. Do, if you have 2 maybe 3hours to kill, this includes getting there and back.

Or, you can take a train north of Copenhagen to Klampenborg, about 15-20 min. north of Copenhagen. Right out from the train station is deer park. It’s a good place to take a walk, see deer, maybe even take a carriage ride. There is also a free amusement park called Bakken there too.

If you like art, I suggest Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. By train 36 minutes from Copenhagen and a 10-minute walk from Humlebæk/Louisiana Station.

These are just suggestions if you have time. From what you’ve stated you plan to do, you have a good itinerary within Copenhagen. These other suggestions to Roskilde, Klampenborg, and Humlebæk, are only if you have time to add other activites.

I hope I’ve answered your questions, feel free to ask if I can help more. Have fun!

Steve

Archived