Are we wasting our money cruising in late Sept.???

MizzouMary

Hi,

We are set to sail from Seattle on 9-25. Our itin. is below. This is our one, and probably only, trip to Alaska (on a very tight budget).

Are we wasting our money by going so late on the last cruise of the season? What will the weather be like at each port at the end of Sept.? Are there any advantages to cruising that late, other than price?

Should we just wait for the following year when everyone can afford to pay more to cruise earlier in the summer?

Day Port Arrive Depart

Sat Seattle - 4:00 PM

Sun Cruise Inside Passage - -

Mon Ketchikan 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Tue Juneau 2:00 PM 10:00 PM

Wed Skagway 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Thu Prince Rupert 4:00 PM 10:00 PM

Fri At Sea - -

Sat Vancouver 8:00 AM -

Thanks for your help!!

Hi,

We are set to sail from Seattle on 9-25. Our itin. is below. This is our one, and probably only, trip to Alaska (on a very tight budget).

Are we wasting our money by going so late on the last cruise of the season? What will the weather be like at each port at the end of Sept.? Are there any advantages to cruising that late, other than price?

Should we just wait for the following year when everyone can afford to pay more to cruise earlier in the summer?

Day Port Arrive Depart

Sat Seattle - 4:00 PM

Sun Cruise Inside Passage - -

Mon Ketchikan 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Tue Juneau 2:00 PM 10:00 PM

Wed Skagway 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Thu Prince Rupert 4:00 PM 10:00 PM

Fri At Sea - -

Sat Vancouver 8:00 AM -

Thanks for your help!!

You will likely get varying opions on this subject. However, if it were me, I would wait until I could afford to go when there would be more daylight and a greater chance for better weather. For a once in a lifetime trip, I would also be sailing out of Vancouver for a more scenic sail.

The itinerary you posted does not list any glacier viewing days. Did you miss that in your post? Since my priority is beautiful scenery and glaciers, I would definitely want a cruise that is going to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

With your port times in Juneau, Prince Rupert and Ketchikan, you are going to loose an awful lot of that time to darkness.

I think that your expense/reward ratio on this trip is not good. A few years ago these end of season trips were dirt cheap, but not any more. They are not a bargain at all considering what you get.

Most of the tours don't run this late in the season including the most popular whale watching tours and the dog sledding.

I'd give it a serious re-think.

I like end of season cruising or at least did when it was cheap. But I like the beginning of winter and seek it out. What are your own goals, needs and desires for the trip?

It wouldn't surprise me if there are some good discounts coming up for May/June/July cruises. I have cruised for under $400 pp many times including last summer over the 4th of July.

I would try to keep your options open and come March/April - there should be some pretty good prices for May - July (hopefully).

It wouldn't surprise me if there are some good discounts coming up for May/June/July cruises. I have cruised for under $400 pp many times including last summer over the 4th of July.

I would try to keep your options open and come March/April - there should be some pretty good prices for May - July (hopefully).

I was wondering if Alaska Cruises have good discounts closer to the cruise?

Our family has 4 cabins booked for the NCL Pearl on May 30th. But our daughter/husband and two kids are waiting until close to the cruise in hopes of catching a good discounts...Travel to Seattle is not a problem for them.

Has anyone seen good discounts closer to the cruise date for these dates in the past? Someone mentioned that after the final payment date (March 16th), the rates go down?

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful input.

We are thinking about changing to the 9/5 NCL Pearl cruise instead since it includes Glacier Bay and the price is at least doable. We will have to go with inside cabins instead of a inside and balcony, due to the higher price. We also currently have two handicapped cabins since we both need disabled facilities. Our internet cruise agency does charge a $45 fee per cabin to change our date and ship, so we need to make sure we choose the right itinerary and go with it. We may not be able to get the HC cabins if we wait til March or April to rebook. Does three weeks earlier really make that much difference as far as daylight, weather, excursion companies, etc.?

Thank you again for your help! You don't know how much we appreciate it!

We are thinking about changing to the 9/5 NCL Pearl cruise instead since it includes Glacier Bay and the price is at least doable. Does three weeks earlier really make that much difference as far as daylight, weather, excursion companies, etc.?

You will be much happier with the earlier sailing, tho there are no guarantees with Alaskan weather. :) Too bad about the $45. ripoff to change your reservation. :(

Weather conditions, darkness, etc drop like a rock in September in Alaska. Do some research into sunrise/sunset tables to see this.

Take warm clothes. We were in Glacier Bay in August (07)...it was cccccold! when we were stopped in front of that huge glacier!!!

I was wondering if Alaska Cruises have good discounts closer to the cruise?

Our family has 4 cabins booked for the NCL Pearl on May 30th. But our daughter/husband and two kids are waiting until close to the cruise in hopes of catching a good discounts...Travel to Seattle is not a problem for them.

Has anyone seen good discounts closer to the cruise date for these dates in the past? Someone mentioned that after the final payment date (March 16th), the rates go down?

Thanks

I have cruised many times mid-May to the first week of June and have received these prices. These were all booked at the last minute. I did take a few years off from Alaska but did book the end of June this past year for really cheap.

Last year, the prices were very low in Alaska. There are less ships in Alaska this year but I still expect cheap prices again. On the other hand, I wasn't picky on ships when booking last minute. I had planned to go with Princess and booked airfare first that would have covered a few ships and then when the prices fell, I picked the cheapest ship. Not something I would recommend for everyone.

Yes - in each case, I booked at the end of March - to end of April for May/June cruises. For this past end of June cruise, I booked it in May.

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful input.

We are thinking about changing to the 9/5 NCL Pearl cruise instead since it includes Glacier Bay and the price is at least doable. We will have to go with inside cabins instead of a inside and balcony, due to the higher price. We also currently have two handicapped cabins since we both need disabled facilities. Our internet cruise agency does charge a $45 fee per cabin to change our date and ship, so we need to make sure we choose the right itinerary and go with it. We may not be able to get the HC cabins if we wait til March or April to rebook. Does three weeks earlier really make that much difference as far as daylight, weather, excursion companies, etc.?

Thank you again for your help! You don't know how much we appreciate it!

I think you need to find another travel agent as there are agents out there who provide deep discounts and do not charge cancellation fees.

I would switch itineraries around to include GB or Hubbard Glacier, especially if this is your only trip to Alaska.

If you need the handicapped cabins, you may have to book earlier as on some sailings, these are in high demand. It may be possible that they have some left but not in the category that you want.

There is nothing wrong with inside cabins. I would rather sail to Alaska in an inside cabin frequently then not go at all :) As much as I like balconys, the best view of glaciers is from deck and I always go on deck for the view anyway on glacier days.

My opinion as well, for a "priority" trip to Alaska, this is an overall poor choice. No glacier sailing?? Juneau is way too late in port time. Will be dusk by 7pm. After the first week of Sept, you are running into the worse potential of the season for weather. Lower temps, more rains, little daylight. (missing all that later evening excellent scenic sailing)

I never pay more than the bottom cruise price for an inside. The cabin is of no importance to me- traveling is, and plenty of it. :)

Yes, discounts are possible, but just about every cruiseline, has pulled out ships for this next season- many thousands, fewer available cabins per week. I late book, many times- BUT, I am very flexable, with blocking out weeks at work, needing no purchased airfare, and being FULLY accepting of not going. (held off booking through several dump fares recently for a booked Feb trip, last week, after Jan, didn't pan out as I wished)

If you see your Alaska cruise as a once in a lifetime experience and waiting a year won't create serious difficulties, I would recommend waiting until next year and booking a sailing that is considerably earlier than your late September cruise. The much shorter hours of daylight, the possibility of less favorable weather (even though weather is something of a crapshoot, regardless of when you sail), the fact that many shops in ports may have already closed for the season, and excursions may be more limited are all factors that, IMHO, would seriously diminish my enjoyment of a "once in a lifetime" cruise. Prices may be higher in 2011 than this year because fewer ships will be cruising in Alaska, but if demand does not match supply you will find some bargains even then. RCI, at least, honors price reductions so you are protected if you book early and the price drops afterwards. Check with the other lines to see if they offer similar price protection. My wife and I took an Alaska cruisetour nearly ten years ago and thought it would be our one and only. However, now, ten years later we are excited at the opportunity to return to this wonderful location, so never say never.:)

• 2 weeks later...

No, we are not sure what to do. My husband doesn't want to spend a lot more to go a few weeks earlier. I've been doing some research (reading past reviews from that time frame) to see what other's experiences were like. We live in MO and deal with very frigid temps, so being in Alaska in colder temps wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not like we are from CA or FL, for example, and it would be a major bodily shock. We need to be making some decision very soon since cabins will be filling up, especially since we need handicapped space.

Thanks again.

No, we are not sure what to do. My husband doesn't want to spend a lot more to go a few weeks earlier. I've been doing some research (reading past reviews from that time frame) to see what other's experiences were like. We live in MO and deal with very frigid temps, so being in Alaska in colder temps wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not like we are from CA or FL, for example, and it would be a major bodily shock. We need to be making some decision very soon since cabins will be filling up, especially since we need handicapped space.

Thanks again.

We went in mid-June and had some very cold, raw rainy days. From what I have read about late in September, it seems there is more a possibility of rain and winds. If it was just cold, I, too, could deal with it as I am from Michigan. I will say the rain really does put a damper on things. We made the best of it, but we surely would have enjoyed our trip more if we had warmer and sunnier days. Our biggest problem was our worst days were when we were taking our "best" excursions. One of the biggest drawbacks for me late in September would be shortened daylight. I have to say, we really enjoyed having the long hours of light in June. It enabled us to enjoy the beautiful scenery until we went to bed. If I needed to watch the budget, I think I would go in mid to late May rather than September. JHMO. Perhaps you should just wait until next year when you can perhaps go at a more favorable time. If you decide to stick with late September, just keep a positive attitude, bring warm and waterproof layers and enjoy Alaska to its fullest. Weather is a big unknown. You could be lucky and have great weather. You just never know.

Thanks again.

It isn't just the likelihood of more frigid weather but also the shorter hours of daylight to consider and the possibility that some excursions may not be offered that late in the season and many seasonal shops and facilities may be closed up by then. I guess you also need to consider what you consider "a lot more" when it comes to the prices you will have to pay. The old saw that you get what you pay for may be appropriate in this situation. Only you and your husband can, in the long run, decide what is best for you, but

delaying your trip for a year might permit you to put away those additional funds that will allow you to have that trip of a lifetime. A year's delay might also give you a better chance to get the best handicapped stateroom available and to see Alaska at its best and in all its glory.:)

FWIW, we had great weather on our Sept 16th Alaskan cruise.

As has been said, you just never know what the weather will be like in Alaska. However, it is important that something going at this time be aware of what the "norm" is, so they can make the best decision possible.

From a weather point of view you are hard into the rainy season and it wouldn't be my first choice. You are starting to run into shorter days but that is not going to impact you alot except in Prince Rupert.

I thought I read that in late September it is dark by 7:00 p.m. along the inside Passage. Is this information incorrect?

If it makes any difference...

I am a huge fan of the Farmer's Almanac for weather forecasts, especially long range, and my cruise is 9/8 to 9/15 so I checked....

FAAKWeather.jpg

Below normal (quite a bit below) precipitation and slightly lower temperatures. I have read that there is about 12/13 hours of daylight around the inside passage area which is about what we experience here in Colorado after the equinox. The temperatures average about 55 degrees (high) to 43 (low) which is perfect for me! It could get colder and I would be a happy camper. Plus, early evenings means more chance to see the Northern Lights. :D

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/AK/Anchorage

http://www.alaskatravel.com/resources/alaska-weather.html

Thanks again.

I might be willing to take a chance on the weather in late September if the cruise had a good itinerary - but yours doesn't.

Archived