? about passport requirements on Spirit

Slidell Mom

I am set to cruise 2/14/10, this will be our first cruise so I am really excited! Today, when I was talking to a NCL rep., I told them that I still have not gotten our passports and they told me they were not needed. They said all we needed was a certified copy of birth certificate and a picture I.D. Is this true??? TIA!

I am set to cruise 2/14/10, this will be our first cruise so I am really excited! Today, when I was talking to a NCL rep., I told them that I still have not gotten our passports and they told me they were not needed. They said all we needed was a certified copy of birth certificate and a picture I.D. Is this true??? TIA!

That is correct...only an original or certified copy of your birth certificate plus a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license is required for your "closed loop" cruise. However it is better to have a passport as one is required should an emergency or other unforeseen circumstance arise and you need to fly home from a foreign port.

Presumably you're doing what is called a "closed-loop cruise" -- leaving from and arriving back to the SAME American port? Then that information is correct -- a certified copy of your birth certificate and a picture ID -- most folks use a driver's license, for you, and anyone else in your party.

If you have a problem, though, and have to leave the ship in a foreign port, it's really hard to make arrangements to fly back to the US. The passport isn't a cruise line thing, but a federal regulation.

It really is best to get your passport. You still have plenty of time; it's been taking around 3 weeks, assuming you have all the information they need, and can be applied for, on line.

I'm willing to bet that you already know the answer to your question, right?

If you, for a minute, believed what you were told, you would not be here looking for confirmation.

So since you already know the answer...I'd just go with that instead of going down this path.

If you really want the facts...the US Dept of State is going to be the best source for information...being that they issue the passports, make the rules, etc.

If you, for a minute, believed what you were told, you would not be here looking for confirmation.

So since you already know the answer...I'd just go with that instead of going down this path.

If you really want the facts...the US Dept of State is going to be the best source for information...being that they issue the passports, make the rules, etc.

It's the OP's first cruise, so why would you assume she knows the answer? What she may know from reading Cruise Critic is that cruise line customer service reps do not exactly have a sterling reputation for answering questions accurately, so she wants to verify she got an accurate answer, which she did.

I called Dept of State and they told me the same thing. That it was a closed loop trip and that if NCL gave me this info then it is correct. I just want to make sure no one has had any problems getting off at foreign ports. I wanted to see if anyone else used their birth certificate....

It's the OP's first cruise, so why would you assume she knows the answer?

How else would you explain the reasoning behind asking the question here when the cruise line already gave her the answer?

What reason would she have for not trusting the cruise line?

How else would you explain the reasoning behind asking the question here when the cruise line already gave her the answer?

See the sentence I added to my post :What she may know from reading Cruise Critic is that cruise line customer service reps do not exactly have a sterling reputation for answering questions accurately, so she wants to verify she got an accurate answer, which she did.

Some cruise reps tell you you can't bring wine on board under any circumstance, some tell you you can if you pay a corkage fee....2 different responses...How do you explain that???

I thought this is where you come to ask for advice??? Maybe I was wrong??

Some cruise reps tell you you can't bring wine on board under any circumstance, some tell you you can if you pay a corkage fee....2 different responses...How do you explain that???

I thought this is where you come to ask for advice??? Maybe I was wrong??

You did nothing wrong. You asked a legitimate question and it was answered.

See the sentence I added to my post :What she may know from reading Cruise Critic is that cruise line customer service reps do not exactly have a sterling reputation for answering questions accurately, so she wants to verify she got an accurate answer, which she did.

Interesting....I didn't realize you were editing your response.

My thought was that IF she had read enough to learn that CSRs "do not exactly have a sterling reputation for answering questions accurately" that she wouldn't even bother to ask them in the first place!

I mean...really...if you knew that a particular source was know for giving questionable replies, why would you even ask them!

I still maintain my original position.

The CSR gave out incorrect information. The OP came here because she knew that this information was not correct and she wanted verification of that.

The shame is that, like the CSR, people are giving her bad information. A passort IS REQUIRED in this case.

Interesting....I didn't realize you were editing your response.

My thought was that IF she had read enough to learn that CSRs "do not exactly have a sterling reputation for answering questions accurately" that she wouldn't even bother to ask them in the first place!

I mean...really...if you knew that a particular source was know for giving questionable replies, why would you even ask them!

I still maintain my original position.

The CSR gave out incorrect information. The OP came here because she knew that this information was not correct and she wanted verification of that.

The shame is that, like the CSR, people are giving her bad information. A passort IS REQUIRED in this case.

Why did the US Dept of State tell me that I did not need one either?? I always thought that I did, but with the cruise line AND the US Dept of State both telling me that I don't need one, then I shouldn't need one, correct??

Why did the US Dept of State tell me that I did not need one either?? I always thought that I did, but with the cruise line AND the US Dept of State both telling me that I don't need one, then I shouldn't need one, correct??

Well you didn't bother to mention that before!

You mean to say that you asked BOTH the US Dept of State AND the Cruise Line and both of them gave you the same answer, and you still come to strangers on a message board to ask the question yet again?:confused:

Keep this in mind....if you show up with a passport and really don't need one, nothing happens.

However...if you show up without one and you really do need one, you'll be missing your vacation.

And I'm strongly advising you to take it because you do, in fact, need it.

My family of 7 traveled from Miami to the Bahamas and back in April of this year. None of us had a passport, just birth certificates and (for those over 16) a gov't issued photo ID (oh, and DW's naturalization papers). We'll be using the same documentation next April, too, although I may get DW a passport because it's cheaper than replacing a Nat. Cert. if anything happened to it.

My family of 7 traveled from Miami to the Bahamas and back in April of this year. None of us had a passport, just birth certificates and (for those over 16) a gov't issued photo ID (oh, and DW's naturalization papers). We'll be using the same documentation next April, too, although I may get DW a passport because it's cheaper than replacing a Nat. Cert. if anything happened to it.

And that is totally within the US Dept of State's rules for travel.

Miami-Bahamas is covered by the WHTI so yes, in your case, a passport would not be required. (However, if something happened, you would not be able to leave the ship in the Bahamas and fly back).

The OP's situation is different.

And that is totally within the US Dept of State's rules for travel.

Miami-Bahamas is covered by the WHTI so yes, in your case, a passport would not be required. (However, if something happened, you would not be able to leave the ship in the Bahamas and fly back).

The OP's situation is different.

I just read this thread now for the first time and I don't know if anything was removed. if not on what are you basing the, This case is different? I do not see anywhere where the OP mentions WHAT cruise she is taking, from where to where etc.

Now I agree that because things can happen and you might need to fly home a passport is always the way to go,

but without knowing where she is going how can you say she MUST have the passport?

I just read this thread now for the first time and I don't know if anything was removed. if not on what are you basing the, This case is different? I do not see anywhere where the OP mentions WHAT cruise she is taking, from where to where etc.

Now I agree that because things can happen and you might need to fly home a passport is always the way to go,

but without knowing where she is going how can you say she MUST have the passport?

The OP states in Post #1 that they are sailing on the Spirit on 2/14/10.

That cruise leaves/returns from New Orleans. There are visits to Mexico, Belieze, and Guatemala. The closed-loop exception for cruise ships does not apply to any voyage that stops in either Belieze or Guatemala....therefore, a valid US Passport would be required on this voyage.

Many people just think closed-loop refers to leaving and returning from the same US port. However, it also has the requirement that all ports visited during the voyage be either Canadian, Mexican, or one of a list of 17 Caribbean islands. Thus, the OP's cruise does not fall under the definition of a closed-loop cruise.

Well you didn't bother to mention that before!

You mean to say that you asked BOTH the US Dept of State AND the Cruise Line and both of them gave you the same answer, and you still come to strangers on a message board to ask the question yet again?:confused:

Keep this in mind....if you show up with a passport and really don't need one, nothing happens.

However...if you show up without one and you really do need one, you'll be missing your vacation.

And I'm strongly advising you to take it because you do, in fact, need it.

That cruise leaves/returns from New Orleans. There are visits to Mexico, Belieze, and Guatemala. The closed-loop exception for cruise ships does not apply to any voyage that stops in either Belieze or Guatemala....therefore, a valid US Passport would be required on this voyage.

Many people just think closed-loop refers to leaving and returning from the same US port. However, it also has the requirement that all ports visited during the voyage be either Canadian, Mexican, or one of a list of 17 Caribbean islands. Thus, the OP's cruise does not fall under the definition of a closed-loop cruise.

Well...it turns out that the information published on government Web sites regarding WHTI and closed loop cruises is incomplete, and in fact you are not required to have a passport for a closed loop that includes places like Belize and Honduras.

Of the major cruise lines, only Carnival, as far as I can tell, has actually taken the time to spell that out to its passengers in its FAQs:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

What are the new passport requirements?

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION - all ports

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements.

CRUISE TRAVEL

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders. While the WHTI requires a valid passport for land and sea travel, a final ruling was issued allowing leniency for “closed-loop” cruises, i.e., sailings that both originate and terminate in the same U.S. port.

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

The advice the OP has received from NCL customer service and the State Department is correct.

Sometimes you can't believe everything you read...even if it's published by a government agency. ;)

You forgot to mention they are also calling in Costa Maya. See how info can be misinterpreted.;) The OP was just confirming what the cruise line said, and yes after 17 cruises, I still don't trust any of the cruise lines as far as getting info that is critical.:eek: About 1 in 5 PVP's really know what they are talking about. So, why don't you take an asprin and come back here when you are feeling better:rolleyes:

You forgot to mention they are also calling in Costa Maya. See how info can be misinterpreted.;) The OP was just confirming what the cruise line said, and yes after 17 cruises, I still don't trust any of the cruise lines as far as getting info that is critical.:eek: About 1 in 5 PVP's really know what they are talking about. So, why don't you take an asprin and come back here when you are feeling better:rolleyes:

Yeah....

Before you jump down someone else's throat for no good reason, might I suggest that you go back and reread the posts.

I said they were stopping in Mexico, Belieze and Guatemala. Last time I checked, Costa Maya was in Mexico...the very first place that I mentioned.

Also...the OP wasn't "just confirming what the cruise line said"...the OP had also gotten the same answer from the US Department of State. So they had an answer AND a confirmation...before they came here.

However, you are right not to trust the cruiseline for information. I wouldn't trust what the NCL rep said...nor would I trust what Carnival says. There is PLENTY of documentation on the CBP site that explains all of this.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/closed_loop_faq.xml

Closed Loop Voyages- Frequently Asked Questions

A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

Q: Is this definition the same as what is being used for the modified processing of cruise passengers?

A: No. The definition was further refined to be in compliance with our statute and regulations.

Q: What is the definition of closed loop in the context of modified processing of cruise passengers?

A: Closed-loop cruises are defined as U.S. based cruises with itineraries that both originate and terminate in the United States,
returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands

Q: What does contiguous territories or adjacent islands mean?

A: Contiguous Territories are any country sharing a common boundary with the United States. Canada and Mexico are contiguous to the United States.

Adjacent Islands as follows: Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Marie-Galantine, Martinique, Miquelon, Montserrat, Saba, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Christopher, Saint Eustatius, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Maarten, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, and other British, French and Netherlands territory or possessions bordering on the Caribbean Sea.

It's really quite simple...you visit a port that isn't on the list and you need a passport.

For example...

A ship leaves New York, visits Halifax, returns to New York...No passport required.

Same ship leaves New York, visits Reykjavik, returns to New York...Passport required.

Same concept explained in plain english:

Cruises That Do Not Require a Passport

Passport Rules for Cruises on a Closed Loop Itinerary

As of June 1, 2009, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was fully implemented, enforcing stricter passport requirements. But there is one loophole for cruise passengers. Cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean state on their website that U.S. citizens on closed loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the United States with just a birth certificate (original or certified copy) and a laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and birth date. Here’s what cruise passengers need to know.

What is a Closed Loop Cruise?

A closed loop cruise is one that begins and ends at the same port in the United States. Initially, the definition of closed loop came from the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), but this term has been refined for cruising. Closed loop cruises are defined as U.S. based cruises with itineraries that both originate and terminate in the United States. But these cruises must be returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands.

• What are Contiguous Territories? – Countries that share a border with the United States are considered contiguous territories, such as Canada and Mexico. For example, an Alaska cruise that sails roundtrip out of Seattle would not require passengers to present a passport, because it visits only Alaska and Canada (a contiguous territory). The same rule applies for a Mexican Riviera cruise that departs from Los Angeles and finishes in Los Angeles.
  • Which are Considered Adjacent Islands? – Most of the Caribbean islands are considered adjacent by definition. A more comprehensive list can be found on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website. Basically, a Caribbean cruise that originates and terminates in the same U.S. port, such as Miami, is not required to present a passport if the cruise is returning from any of these adjacent islands.

Cruises Where a Passport is Required

• A passport or other approved document is required for cruises which begin in one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port. For example, if a cruise starts in Seattle and ends in Seward, Alaska, a passport is required.
  • A passport is required for cruises that begin or end in a foreign port. For example, if an Alaska cruise begins or ends in Vancouver, a passport is required.
  • A passport is required for all cruises where an international flight needs to be taken since all international air travel requires a passport.
  • A passport is also required if the cruise itinerary visits ports that are not contiguous territories such as Costa Rica, Belize or Panama (neither of these share a border with the U.S.). This rule also applies even when the port of embarkation and disembarkation are the same U.S. port, in the case of some Panama Canal cruises.

Cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean advise that guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or by entering a country, and may be subject to fines. Most cruise lines will not give refunds to individuals who fail to bring proper ID.

And if that isn't enough, what about common sense? If you show up with a passport that isn't needed...no harm, no foul. If you show up without a passport when it is required....you miss your vacation. Which of these people do YOU want to be?

She will be okay for this cruise with a certified birth certificate and drivers license photo, but when you can afford a passport please get one. Congress may have softened the passport blow for many of us, but its only a matter of time before Homeland Security gets its way. Its my opinion we are only one terrorist incident away. Cruise lines have been targeted before. Recall the Achille Lauro? Notice how overnight we are limited to only one carry-on bag with the airlines... A purse and/or a laptop are now considered carry-ons with the airlines...

Assuming that you are cursing the Caribbean and leaving from and returning to the same port that is accurate. If you have applied for your passports already, don't worry unless their is something wrong with your application you will have them before you leave anyway.

Archived