Wheelhouse bar & Fish and Chips ?

sweet

I have to agree with WeBeGone....we think the fish n' chips were pretty average at best. I think the concept of going to the Wheelhouse bar for lunch is a good one as it gives you a break from the normal dining fare but they could work a bit more on the offerings.

As unappetizing as they sound and look...hit them with some salt & pepper and they are not bad.

We had the pub lunch 3 times on our 18 day TA cruise on the Tahitian this past August. It was always on a sea day, as others have said.

The main courses were nice - liked the fish & chips with lots of malt vinegar.

The "mushy peas" on our cruise were a poor facsimile thereof; mostly mashed potatoes with a few peas thrown in for color. Funny, as it seemed that the "peas" got a lighter shade of green each time - looked like they were running out :eek:!! I've had real mushy peas in UK and Australia and I found them to be tasty; these weren't real. But it didn't make the pub lunch any less enjoyable.

Desserts were available but the trick was that you had to ASK for it. It was funny but they would not offer it to you - maybe that relates to another earlier poster's statement that dessert would never be part of a "traditional" pub lunch. However, if you asked, they offered bread & butter pudding or spotted dick, both of which were quite tasty.

Our Aussie friends who cruised with us thought the food (other than the mushy peas) was pretty authentic, and it was a great break from the MDR on such a long cruise. Hope they restock on peas, and keep the concept!

We had the pub lunch 3 times on our 18 day TA cruise on the Tahitian this past August. It was always on a sea day, as others have said.

The main courses were nice - liked the fish & chips with lots of malt vinegar.

The "mushy peas" on our cruise were a poor facsimile thereof; mostly mashed potatoes with a few peas thrown in for color. Funny, as it seemed that the "peas" got a lighter shade of green each time - looked like they were running out :eek:!! I've had real mushy peas in UK and Australia and I found them to be tasty; these weren't real. But it didn't make the pub lunch any less enjoyable.

Desserts were available but the trick was that you had to ASK for it. It was funny but they would not offer it to you - maybe that relates to another earlier poster's statement that dessert would never be part of a "traditional" pub lunch. However, if you asked, they offered bread & butter pudding or spotted dick, both of which were quite tasty.

Our Aussie friends who cruised with us thought the food (other than the mushy peas) was pretty authentic, and it was a great break from the MDR on such a long cruise. Hope they restock on peas, and keep the concept!

OK. Someone has to ask, so I guess it will be me. What is (see highlight above)?

OK. Someone has to ask, so I guess it will be me. What is (see highlight above)?

Spotted dick is a steamed suet pudding containing dried fruit (usually currants) commonly served with custard, and a standard part of English cuisine. Spotted refers to the dried fruit (which resemble spots) and dick may be a contraction/corruption of the word pudding (from the last syllable) or possibly a corruption of the word dough.[1] Another explanation offered for the latter half of the name is that it comes from the German word for "thick," in reference to the thickened suet mixture.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the earliest documented reference is a recipe for "Plum Bolster or Spotted Dick," in Alexis Soyer's The Modern Housewife of Menagere (1850).[2]

spotted dick is a steamed suet pudding containing dried fruit (usually currants) commonly served with custard, and a standard part of english cuisine. spotted refers to the dried fruit (which resemble spots) and dick may be a contraction/corruption of the word pudding (from the last syllable) or possibly a corruption of the word dough.[1] another explanation offered for the latter half of the name is that it comes from the german word for "thick," in reference to the thickened suet mixture.

According to the oxford english dictionary, the earliest documented reference is a recipe for "plum bolster or spotted dick," in alexis soyer's the modern housewife of menagere (1850).[2]

yuk!

Does anyone know if the pub lunch is available on the Sapphire Princess for the Mexican Riviera Cruise? :confused:

Also, is it included or are the pub lunches the extra charge meals? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.:)

There is no extra charge for the Pub lunch.

It really depends on the ship you are on as to where the pub lunch is servved. On the Coral it was the Bajou Cafe, on the Golden iat was on the Crown etc. The Patter will say where the pub lunch is being served. Look for that.

Marilyn

The Pub Lunch was served on the Sapphire at least two of the three sea days. Check the Patter, but I think we had it in the Savoy dining room. We tried the Bread and butter pudding for dessert, not that we needed it. We thought the fish and chips was pretty decent, but liked the shepherd's pie and ploughman's better in our group. Don't miss having afternoon tea, either, if you're looking for another great British experience.

Does anyone know if the pub lunch is available on the Sapphire Princess for the Mexican Riviera Cruise? :confused:

Also, is it included or are the pub lunches the extra charge meals? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.:)

Yes they have it in one of the diningrooms. On our 7 day it was only on 1 sea day. But keep your eyes peeled for it on the patter.

I like eating in a diningroom instead of in a lounge, unless it is finger food.