post cruise - 24 hours in Rome - Options

Hawkman

I know this has come up on the board before, yet couldn't find the specific answers that we were looking for. Our ship returns back to Civitavecchia at 4:00 am, and our return flight home is 10:30 am the next day. Should we:

1) overnight in Rome and travel to the airport EARLY

2) overnight close to the airport and travel into Rome for the day

3) overnight at the airport and see the local sites in that area

(pre-cruise we are spending 2 nights in Rome)

I know this has come up on the board before, yet couldn't find the specific answers that we were looking for. Our ship returns back to Civitavecchia at 4:00 am, and our return flight home is 10:30 am the next day. Should we:

1) overnight in Rome and travel to the airport EARLY

2) overnight close to the airport and travel into Rome for the day

3) overnight at the airport and see the local sites in that area

(pre-cruise we are spending 2 nights in Rome)

The quick bottom-line is that there not much of interest out and around the airport. Your option number one would be best. There is so much to see and enjoy in Rome, including in the evenings. Love Rome, its history, architecture and beauty.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I completely agree with Terry. Stay in Rome. Your flight is not so early as to make getting there in the morning a hardship. I suggest you plan out your time so that you see a good number of the sights before your cruise. You may be jet-lagged, but odds are you'll be more tired at the end of the trip. Save some easier things for your last day -- perhaps enjoying the ambience around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

agreed.... there is nothing to do near the airport. We stayed at the Hilton Airport & while it was super convenient in the AM... not only is there nothing to do, nothing to eat. We were disappointed our last meal in Rome was totally forgetable. ,,, plus the train from fco to termini is 11 euros one way... that's 44 euros round trip & I would rather spend that on a car service to the airport (plus saving on travel time).

Last time we stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport, they had a complimentary shuttle service for guests that went back and forth into central Rome. I agree that you will want to see Rome, but this might be an option and certainly easier to stay at the airport, leave your luggage and hop a shuttle in (and be at the airport already for your flight the next day)

Pam, when was that rate in affect? Recently?

Yes, in June.

I believe they can collect another five Euros in the evening; not sure about those hours.

Also, your hotel can add five Euros if it arranges the taxi for you.

Yes, in June.

I believe they can collect another five Euros in the evening; not sure about those hours.

Also, your hotel can add five Euros if it arranges the taxi for you.

Pam - Okay, great! Thank so much for the information.

Eurocruiser - Thanks for that link. It looks interesting.

:)

Last time we stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport, they had a complimentary shuttle service for guests that went back and forth into central Rome. I agree that you will want to see Rome, but this might be an option and certainly easier to stay at the airport, leave your luggage and hop a shuttle in (and be at the airport already for your flight the next day)

well I think that is great as long as the shuttle into central rome is complimentary......

where would central rome be? like the trevi fountain or spanish steps?

well I think that is great as long as the shuttle into central rome is complimentary......

The stop is on Via del Teatro Marcello, near the intersection of Via Montanara. It is very close to Piazza Venezia and the Capitoline Hill.

Here is a thread from a couple of days ago about the Hilton shuttle: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1116519

We always stay at the Hilton for the last night-- last summer we went directly to the hotel on the train via Trastevere(no need to change at central station)-we arrived very early and they even had a room ready and we were on the shuttle and into town mid morning. If you can stay on the concierge level they have food and drinks(inc. alcoholic drinks) all day and evening-complimentary!!

I agree not to miss seeing Rome at night-then hop a shuttle and unwind in the lounge. No stress in the morning- enjoy a lovely breakfast and then off to the security line for the flight. We have seen strikes in Rome that make traffic a nightmare in the morning.

The drop off was not in the north near Spanish Steps, but south near the Mouth of Truth last summer. We just worked our way from south to north(Spanish Steps and the Pincio near Piazza del Popolo for a lovely sunset view) and then back to catch the lights on the attractions.

Archived