Hoho bus in Copenhagen

Has anyone ever used www.sightseeing.dk to pre-book a hoho bus ticket for Copenhagen? I found this site and their prices were less than Priceline or Viator. I was able to get an ALL LINES ticket ticket for less than $27 per person. Priceline and Viator wanted about $34 per person for the all lines, and around $27 for just the Mermaid line. Paid for the tickets already and they emailed me a voucher that I'm supposed to present upon boarding the bus in Copenhagen.

We're staying at the Marriott in Copenhagen and one of the hoho lines stops right at the Marriott. I noticed all three lines stop at Tivoli, so we'll get on at our hotel and use Tivoli as a transfer point from line to line. Our flight arrives into Copenhagen at 7:30am, so we'll have the whole day to explore before our cruise departs the next afternoon.

Hi Jon & Mark

We used this website to buy HoHo tickets last August with no problems. It couldn't have been easier.

One thing I would say about the HoHo bus is that after seeing loads of them all day, once it got to about 3pm they all seemed to disappear and we ended up waiting for one for about an hour to get back to the ship.

The canal tour was a lot of fun as well.

Debbie:)

Hi Jon & Mark

We used this website to buy HoHo tickets last August with no problems. It couldn't have been easier.

One thing I would say about the HoHo bus is that after seeing loads of them all day, once it got to about 3pm they all seemed to disappear and we ended up waiting for one for about an hour to get back to the ship.

The canal tour was a lot of fun as well.

Debbie:)

Thanks for the info, Debbie. Glad to hear all worked well. I hesitated to buy the all lines ticket that included the canal tour because I think we'll wait to buy a canal tour ticket until we're there, in case we don't have time to do it. I do also want to do a canal tour, though.

NC

By all means, do NOT miss the canal tours. they are not expensive and they are wonderful. the boats are built very low, as you have to duck your heads going under several bridges, but it is a great experience.

Originally we were also going to book one of the 'tours' around copenhagen, but we mailed away to their tourist office and they sent us a wonderful map of the city with a couple of great walking tours. We opted for that instead. Copenhagen is a joy to walk around in, so 'European' if you get what I mean. My DW and I are both seniors and I ahve had two hips replaced in the past year, but walking wasn't difficult,a nd we had just a gorgeous day.

I've included a few pictures so you can get a feel for this wonderful city

The canal boat ride

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

Low level canal boats

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster292.jpg

To get under those low level bridges

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster280.jpg

Along the way

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster276.jpg

we stopped for a bite to eat

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe251.jpg

the menu, which I always seem to take pictures of?????

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe249.jpg

I had ordered the tickets online and had an email voucher which we handed in and received a ticket on the bus. I took the 2 day ticket, it wasn't much more than the 1 day ticket. We were able to take all 3 tours in one day. We didn't get off at any of the stops. You have to switch buses for each tour. They give you earphones (too kept) to listen (in many languages) to the talk about the sights.

Has anyone ever used www.sightseeing.dk to pre-book a hoho bus ticket for Copenhagen? I found this site and their prices were less than Priceline or Viator. I was able to get an ALL LINES ticket ticket for less than $27 per person. Priceline and Viator wanted about $34 per person for the all lines, and around $27 for just the Mermaid line. Paid for the tickets already and they emailed me a voucher that I'm supposed to present upon boarding the bus in Copenhagen.

We're staying at the Marriott in Copenhagen and one of the hoho lines stops right at the Marriott. I noticed all three lines stop at Tivoli, so we'll get on at our hotel and use Tivoli as a transfer point from line to line. Our flight arrives into Copenhagen at 7:30am, so we'll have the whole day to explore before our cruise departs the next afternoon.

I noticed you talked about the Mermaid line-- I am not sure when you are going, but we are going in May 2010. We were disappointed to learn that the Little Mermaid will be at the World Expo in China May 1 - Oct 31, plus time for gettting her there and back. But there are plenty of other sights to look forward to in lovely Copenhagen.

NC By all means, do NOT miss the canal tours. they are not expensive and they are wonderful. the boats are built very low, as you have to duck your heads going under several bridges, but it is a great experience. Originally we were also going to book one of the 'tours' around copenhagen, but we mailed away to their tourist office and they sent us a wonderful map of the city with a couple of great walking tours. We opted for that instead. Copenhagen is a joy to walk around in, so 'European' if you get what I mean. My DW and I are both seniors and I ahve had two hips replaced in the past year, but walking wasn't difficult,a nd we had just a gorgeous day.

YES! Giantfan13 makes two key points on doing BOTH the canal boat tour and taking a good long walk in this super charming and historic city with so much to see and enjoy. Do a search on this Baltics Cruise Critic site for Copenhagen and walking. Below are some added pictures. You can see lots from the window of a bus, but the canal boat angle can be better and great. PLUS, walking lets you really soak it all up and better experience these wonderful fountains, architectural details, people aspects, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Copenhagen’s “New” Harbor that is actually old and charming:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Lots of great statues and interesting architecture in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-StatueonWalk.jpg

Copenhagen's new Opera House across the canal from a charming fountain:

1A-Copenhagen-OperaFountain.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

1A-Copenh-UnderBridge.jpg

I noticed you talked about the Mermaid line-- I am not sure when you are going, but we are going in May 2010. We were disappointed to learn that the Little Mermaid will be at the World Expo in China May 1 - Oct 31, plus time for gettting her there and back. But there are plenty of other sights to look forward to in lovely Copenhagen.

We'll be in Copenhagen in June, and were also disappointed to hear the Little Mermaid will be gone. But, all is not lost...apparently her sister, an exact duplicate, will be on display at Tivoli Gdns.

NC

By all means, do NOT miss the canal tours. they are not expensive and they are wonderful. the boats are built very low, as you have to duck your heads going under several bridges, but it is a great experience.

Originally we were also going to book one of the 'tours' around copenhagen, but we mailed away to their tourist office and they sent us a wonderful map of the city with a couple of great walking tours. We opted for that instead. Copenhagen is a joy to walk around in, so 'European' if you get what I mean. My DW and I are both seniors and I ahve had two hips replaced in the past year, but walking wasn't difficult,a nd we had just a gorgeous day.

Giantfan, can you please provide contact info for the tourist office from which you were provided with the walking tours? This sounds like the perfect way to enjoy Copenhagen. We're hoping our NCL cruise docks at a more convenient spot to access the city than it does for Stockholm!

We'll be sailing on the Vision of the Seas on Sept 4, 2010 (7-day Copenhagen/Copenhagen), actually doing 3 B2B's all on the Vision (total 32 days). This will be our first European cruise so we would appreciate any information you can give us. We're planning on arriving in Copenhagen a day early.

Anyone sailing with us, we look forward to meeting you.

Lynn

We'll be sailing on the Vision of the Seas on Sept 4, 2010 (7-day Copenhagen/Copenhagen), actually doing 3 B2B's all on the Vision (total 32 days). This will be our first European cruise so we would appreciate any information you can give us. We're planning on arriving in Copenhagen a day early. Anyone sailing with us, we look forward to meeting you. Lynn

Hi, Lynn from NC! The good news is that have got lots of time to do your detailed research and get ready. TELL US MORE! Since this is your first visit to Europe, it can be exciting, but a little challenging. What the most important port stops where you are seeking added info as you are visiting on your three cruises? It looks like the Baltics, then to Venice, eastern Med, Egypt, Turkey, etc. Having visited twenty different countries in Europe over the years, including some places multiple times, I would strongly urge two key steps.

FIRST, read through these Cruise Critic posts and use the SEARCH function to find more specific info. Ask questions on these boards! Be specific in what you are seeking. Don't be shy!

SECOND, from your library or a book store look at some of the key travel books. Personally, I like the Eyewitness books as they have a nice mix of text/background details, pictures, maps, building cut-aways, etc. The Michelin Green books are very good and rank your potentials options on a helpful one to three star rating. There are other good books, such as Rick Steves.

During a short port stop, you can't see it "ALL" in some of these key locations. That's why you need to research ahead and consider your personal priorities. The advance planning is half the fun for such trips. It's a real learning experience and makes the actual visit so much better. Is this helpful?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We'll be sailing on the Vision of the Seas on Sept 4, 2010 (7-day Copenhagen/Copenhagen), actually doing 3 B2B's all on the Vision (total 32 days). This will be our first European cruise so we would appreciate any information you can give us. We're planning on arriving in Copenhagen a day early.

Anyone sailing with us, we look forward to meeting you.

Lynn

Lynn, we're also on the Sept 4, 2010 sailing. You should come and join our roll call thread.

Thanks, everyone for the info. We definitely want to do the canal tour as well. Terry, thanks for the pics. We can only hope to be as lucky as you were for a nice, sunny day.

Giantfan, can you please provide contact info for the tourist office from which you were provided with the walking tours? This sounds like the perfect way to enjoy Copenhagen. We're hoping our NCL cruise docks at a more convenient spot to access the city than it does for Stockholm!

First stop at this site

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/what_to_see_and_do

Here you can see some of the best info on Copenhagen. Click on the contact us link and there will be phone numbers and an email link. Email them, tell them you will be visiting Copenhagen and would like any info they can send. They sent me some great stuff, including the map of the walking tours.

another site for maps and other info

http://www.copenhagen.com/maps/download.asp?Menu=Maps

just google Copenhagen tourism and you will come up with a wealth of info.

Giant fan13-

Thank you for your kind words about our photos. DH took these with his digital SLR camera. We like photos that “tell” us about the places we went. We’ve seen too many sets of photos of people standing by signs or pointing at something. Tells you nothing about what they did or saw. I have enjoyed your photos, too. This morning I looked at the ones you post on the thread about the HOHO bus in Copenhagen. We will have part of a day before the cruise and part of a day after so a bus pass and a walking tour map are now a must.

Thank you also for the kind words. Like Terry has done, I, also, like to take pictures of unusual things along the way. it helps remember some of the things that most people just don't have time to notice.

Here a few examples

Most people see the Little Mermaid and all have the same basic picture, here are a couple from the opposite side

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster219.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster263.jpg

a couple of pictures leaving Copenhagen harbor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster203.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster204.jpg

A boat that cAUhgt my eye while on the canal boat ride

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster274.jpg

And while just roaming around the streets of Copenhagen, we wandered into an unusual building that had some great sculputures

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster314.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster315.jpg

This is why walking around any city is so much better than doing a set tour. You can see all there is to see and SO MUCH MORE. We were there on a sunday, and while walking around, we stopped for an ice cream in a public park. we sat for a while and just watched families enjoying a beautiful sunday afternoon in the park. We didn't take pictures of them, but the memories are etched in our minds. It was truly a wondeful experience.

Make your own fun and enjoyment.

The canal tour was the highlight of my trip to Copenhagen.

We did the HoHo tour 2 years ago and I was very disappointed.

We purchased tickets from the driver when we boarded the bus at the Langelinie pier. After we 'hopped off' at Amalienborg, realized that we should NEVER have gotten off the bus, what we didn't know at the time was that most of the busses were all oversold!.

We had to wait for the next 2 busses before we could get on again a bus, and the bus stop at Amalienborg had no cover, so we got soaked standing in the rain along with 10 others waiting 90 minutes for a bus!!!! A pair of British tourist had already been waiting for 30 minutes before we arrived. We complained to the driver of the next Bus, but that didn't get us anywhere.

Later in the day we met up with other tourists who had the exact same experience we did.

I would NEVER do that HOHO tour in Copenhagen again.

We will be in Copenhagen in August and it is really interesting to see the pictures which have been loaded - thank you. About the HOHO bus, it seems that overcrowding (and so not being able to get on a bus) is common. We had the same problem in Glasgow a few years back and in Barcelona in 2008, the queue to get on at one stop went for well over a block. Luckily there was a reasonably short interval between buses but it was still about 45 minutes we had to wait in the queue. We don't do them now unless we stay on for the whole loop to get an overview of the city.

When we were researching our trip, we also heard stories like that about the HoHo buses, especially in Copenhagen and Stockholm. Can't confirm these stories as the only time we did use a HoHo bus was in Stockholm and we had no choice. We were there on a Sunday so no city buses run to the terminal and there was a Triathlon that day so mnay of the streets were close. They sent a fleet (seems that way) of HoHo buses to the terminal and if you wanted to get into town except for taxi, this was the only way. But coming back to the ship, they told us of special stops where they would have express buses back to the terminal. I can't say if everyone knew about these stops as the lines weren't that long and we got on the first bus that came along.

If you are at all concerned, try to get to a stop a bit ealier.

Have fun though whatever you do.

Len

Anyone with experience flying to Amsterdam and taking a train to Copenhagen. We are on The Star Princess in July 2010 and thought we would try to include a couple days in Amsterdam and 3-4 days in Copenhagen precruise?

Any train experience would be very helpful...

Thanks

Archived