We had an AMAZING Dream 12/26 - 1/2

balcony bound

Hello,

Me and my wife are going at the end of the month. I was wondering if there is any good deals that are good to wait for to get massages on the cruise. Seems like if you wait for the deals you save a lot of money. Did you notice any on certain days?

Thanks,

Brandon

... I've been on Celebrity... the ships are rather unremarkable on the outside (with the exception of the new Solstice class... I think their pretty cool looking). The decor is very elegant inside rich woods... White Onyx stair cases...etc.. Century was recently "made over" added a few new lounges, overhalled the theater, spa...etc. It's a much more "relaxed" atmosphere. Nothing to do past 11PM or so without searching it out, or doing it on your own.

I have to say... we toured Dream back in November. Both my friend and I have both cruised on Celebrity Constellation... and we both remarked at how similar the interior of the ships were (Dream is obviously larger). Celebrity didn't have anything "extra special" over Dream...

Hello,

Me and my wife are going at the end of the month. I was wondering if there is any good deals that are good to wait for to get massages on the cruise. Seems like if you wait for the deals you save a lot of money. Did you notice any on certain days?

Thanks,

Brandon

Yes, we did notice specials! The price on the 20-20-20 (you pick) fell from 99 to 79 to 69 by Thursday:)

There was also another massage special - and usually your best deal is on port days.

However, there is always the massage at the beach...:D

Another ship pulled in, and it was a little while before I could figure out who she was. I’d never seen a Celebrity ship before - and she didn’t look like "much" to me. I’ll stick with the Dream, thank you very much.

2135431680106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

BUT, in all fairness to Celebrity, comparing the Century to the Dream is like comparing the Ecstacy to the Dream. I just returned from a 10-day sailing on the Celebrity Equinox and at the risk of being shot on a Carnival-only thread, the Equinox was an amazing ship. Although my preference is always with Carnival, I have and always will cruise with other lines because 'cruising' is what it's all about for me. I have no doubt, especially after reading your review, that the Dream will be as beautiful as the Equinox was.

We decided not to take a cab to the beach. This trip was for relaxing and exploring the ship - so, back aboard we headed.

Actually, we were really hungry. Getting back on board was a breeze, since most folks were still headed in the other direction. We dropped our purchases in our cabin and headed up to Lido to see what was for lunch. I have to say, there are so many choices that it is hard for me not to wander around food shopping! There were zero lines anywhere. We decided to try the Tandori Grill. I love Indian food (try and get good Indian food in Florida) and DH loves anything spicey. So, the Tandori Grill it was.

2532916740106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We grabbed a nice table with a view and enjoyed our surroundings. The Gathering has extremely comfortable seating, better than any other Carnival ship we’ve sailed on.

Of course, we had to finish the meal (and cool down our mouths) with some ice cream to take back to our balcony. We had plenty of things to watch while we were relaxing. All that good food and a few beverages finally lulled us into a nap.

Our neighbor for the day (the Ecstasy) had plenty of folks enjoying their day on their serenity deck.

2219278450106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We also saw this "pirate ship" taking off for an excursion.

2127801330106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We relaxed, went up for some drinks, and hung out on the balcony. The Ecstasy pulled out of port ahead of us, as we decided to do something about dinner. You can see her pilot boat coming up alongside.

2973671630106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

Ultimately, we wanted to go to an early comedy show, so we decided to skip the MDR and head up to lido and the Gathering. Excellent choice. I have to say this was one of the best pork chops I’ve ever eaten.

2709862240106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

Ahhh, and a wonderful surprise to find at the buffet. Heaven in a cup. (and you betcha I had ice cream with it)

2982311640106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

Again, I’m scratching my head. The food in the Gathering has really been extremely good, and we aren’t having one bit of trouble with lines or crowds.

We're trying to stay warm... but it was 28 degrees this morning!

The spa pass gets you into the VIP Thermal Suite: Private locker room with shower, thallassotherapy pool, aroma sauna, oriental steam room, and two separate rooms with warming loungers. The thalasso pool is heaven - it has mineral water, lots of jets, and is very relaxing. It's all well worth it.

You can still do the gym for free, as well as the steam rooms availble in the public locker rooms.

I sooooo want to be there right now!

thanks so much for the info.you're a real asset to the board and fellow cruisers. jerry

We made our way to the Burgundy Lounge (on deck 5). We went early, anticipating there would be a crowd. We were the first ones in the lounge, and that gave me an opportunity to take some photos. I really like it in here!

Welcome to the Dream's Comedy Club! I hope this concept is a huge hit, I would love to see comedy rooms on all the ships.

2856069480106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

I loved the masks, on the wall and on the ceiling. Make sure you look up. I was glad we were alone, I was doing some strange contortions to get under these to try and get a decent photo. I think DH was pretending not to know me (he pretended not to know me when I was taking food pictures, too).

2066438610106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2459477870106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

and then look up again, when the lights are off

2967612620106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2264546560106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

Aren't these just amazing? My photos don't do them justice, you're going to have to go visit them yourselves for the best experience.

There are several different masks on the ceiling, and I wandered around enjoying the details. As I was about to start photographing some of the masks on the wall, I hear - hey, aren’t you really here to take a picture of the chef? I turned and found this man smiling at me - and so I had to admit that yes, I was here to take his photo. I would have to say that the crew on the Dream has been one of the friendliest we have encountered. More on that later...

He's pretty blurry, one of us must have been on the move, LOL

2263532210106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

I love the masks...especially with the lights off. I also think it's fantastic that they have PG rated comedy shows....my 14yo son is so looking forward to it! Now I won't have to cringe with him at a regular comedy show waiting for what is going to come out next :eek: Of course I wouldn't take him to an adult show but sometimes on other cruises they have had a comedian thrown into their theatre shows.

Loving your review!!!

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!

I LOVE the Burgundy!! What a great venue!!!

When we first walked in there it was dark and I couldn't see the detail in the masks on the ceiling but I took a picture anyway... I was blown away!!! What color and form! The detail was stunning!!!

Dream264.jpg

It probably shouldn't amaze me but I'm always blown away by the depth that Joe Farcus goes to in fitting out these ships. I could spend a week just grinning at the tiny touches that make these ships so brilliant.

I pity folks who don't look up!!!

:)

GREAT review! Keep up the fantastic job!!!

The masks that go around the room are incredibly detailed, and I was surprised when the lights went off.

2811596260106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2450426010106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2629786500106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2133403220106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We ordered some Bailey's and coffee, and settled in to some very comfortable seats.

2998713040106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We spent some time chatting with a nice family from Boston while waiting for the comics to begin. It was their first Carnival Cruise and they were enjoying themselves more than they thought they would. Hopefully I gave them some info that would add to their enjoyment in the upcoming days.

I have another comment here about the "crowds" on the Dream. We were sitting in a lounge that holds several hundred folks. There were maybe 50 or so of us when Jeff the "Fun Dude" started asking us to please move up to the chairs in front of the stage so the comics could have some energy from the crowd. Seriously, by the time the show started, I think we had maybe 100 people in this lounge.

I know that part of the reason was this same show had been performed the night before - but really, there are enough activities going on that you really have to choose, and for us, this didn't pan out to those negative reviews I read at all concerning crowds and lack of public space/passenger. I can easily say we felt the Dream was less crowded than our cruises on Conquest and Triumph class ships.

The comedy was really good and we stayed for the adult show, also. I highly recommend to all of you with future bookings to try to attend at least one of these comedy shows - very enjoyable. And the beverage staff in here is also very attentive.

Our day in Cozumel had come to an end. We had a wonderful day on the ship and enjoyed this day to the fullest. But, it was time to step out on the balcony, gaze at the stars, and call it a night.

The wind still hadn't let up much, but it was an amazing view.

Our Room Steward's name is Supho. He's a very charming and attentive steward, and you'll be very lucky if you have him in the future.

His towel animals were some of the best, and tonight he really gave me a giggle.

We walked in and I was all ready to photo my towel animal for the evening (and hand the chocolates over to DH)

2351533940106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

That done, I stepped into the bathroom and started laughing...

Supho was playing to my towel animal addiction. I found this young frog lady in there waiting for me.

2586037700106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

It was fun to end the evening on yet another happy note.

The kid in me just loves these towel animals, and Supho was kind enough to let me "collect" them through the week, until I had the windowsills full. Each evening before we left for dinner I closed the curtains just in case someone might come in and steal them :D

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!

I LOVE the Burgundy!! What a great venue!!!

When we first walked in there it was dark and I couldn't see the detail in the masks on the ceiling but I took a picture anyway... I was blown away!!! What color and form! The detail was stunning!!!

Dream264.jpg

It probably shouldn't amaze me but I'm always blown away by the depth that Joe Farcus goes to in fitting out these ships. I could spend a week just grinning at the tiny touches that make these ships so brilliant.

I pity folks who don't look up!!!

GREAT review! Keep up the fantastic job!!!

NICE photo, Mach! This is the most beautifully detailed ship - we just love the Dream. I started and ended each day smiling. If you notice your surroundings at all, you will just be amazed.

I know I kept telling DH that with all the weight of the granite, marble, glass - I'll never get over that this ship floats. He (being the Navy guy) just laughed at me and says they didn't have any issues with weight at all until they boarded my luggage.... ouch!

We were woken in the night to a hard downpour. A look at my watch said it was way too early to be awake, and I went back to sleep to the motion of the ship and the sound of the storm.

By dawn, it was clear and calm. Our day in Roatan began with sipping coffee on the balcony and watching the sun rise. By the way, again my coffee was delivered exactly at the time I had asked for when I hung my breakfast order on the door last night. Two pots of piping hot coffee should get me moving!

The sun was starting to peep through the clouds. We were again scheduled for some rain today, but sunrise was clear.

2357700560106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2481101750106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

I watched the last of our wake as the water oxygenated and turned blue as we pulled into port and prepared to dock. Have I mentioned that I am addicted to blue water?

2445253230106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We had never been to Roatan, this was the only port we were visiting for the first time, and also the only one that I had scheduled an excusion to - Tabyana Beach. I knew that there was a beach in Mahogany Bay and my decision to go to Tabyana was reinforced as I watched other ships dock for the day.

Pulling in to port I noticed this wreck; DH filled me in as to the reasons for sinking boats in port...

2476954620106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

And took in the port area for the first time.

2509269030106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2372251380106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2767583680106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2910255190106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

I heard a familiar voice and found Suphol on the next balcony, already hard at work cleaning this morning. He was waving and saying hello. These folks work so hard to make our visits on their ship enjoyable.

2466079860106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

and we watched as the locals made sure our lines are secure.

2038261170106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We headed out to the spa for our morning ritual, and grabbed some breakfast before disembarking.

I checked out some of the shops to see if I needed to travel further to pick up my planned coffee purchases (yes, there were several types of coffee available right here in Mahogany Bay) and then easily found our way to the meeting place for our excursion. A hint here... regardless of your excursion time on your ticket, they continually fill vans and head out and they don’t particularly take anyone in order nor care what time your ticket is for. So, if you’re late - don’t worry! And, if your a little early, that’s fine too.

A 25 minute or so van ride brought us to Tabayana

2684349220106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

We planned on snorkeling, so after the brief "orientation" given by the local staff, we headed over to rent snorkel gear. This took a bit of time, so plan accordingly.

For us, this beach was way too crowded (maybe we are spoiled - wait, I know we are). They brought us lounge chairs and we hit the water to snorkel.

2405312670106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2533309710106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

There were also some boats with snorklers aboard

2728390110106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

And plenty of folks swimming and snorkeling.

2558916210106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

The water was perfectly fine for this time of year. Even in the warmest of weather, I am one of those that inches their way into the water - not today, I just dove right in and it was great. I had been worried the water would be too cold for me, but it was just right.

After snorkeling for a while (visibility was quite poor) we headed up to the beach for a local beer (very good) and while looking around found this gentleman with his handmade hammocks.

2557962690106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

After a short negotiation, we had one to take home :) I know, most folks might not have a place for a hammock, but we have a tiki hut in our backyard at home and had been looking for just the right hammock. This one fit the bill perfectly, and was amazingly reasonably priced. I much prefer to buy from an individual, anyway.

We purchased the hammock just in time... all of the sudden we were in the middle of a torrential downpour. Everyone on the beach scrambled to get to shelter and it looked like it was going to be an early day for most everyone.

I felt bad for the locals who had a lunch going because I knew they were not going to be able to do the business they were expecting. Folks were all bolting to shelter and transportation.

The lines forming for vans were long - and there were several ship’s passengers making organization necessary (not all the ships were docked at Mahagony Bay).

Our van took us back to Mahogany bay, where I was able to pick up the coffee I had planned to purchase. The coffee varied in prices, and there were several different claims as to who's was best. I decided to hedge all bets and buy a variety.

2461360420106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

I can tell you that I am really enjoying my purchases!!!

We headed back to the ship, because now we were really starving since we missed having lunch at Tabyana Beach.

As we walked back to the ship, I was again amazed at the size of the vessel that had been carrying us on this adventure.

2901149930106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

2119388590106048266S600x600Q85.jpg

Geesh, she's so big I couldn't get her all in one frame, and we were pretty far away!

what amazes me... is that the Cove Balconies were eye level when we boarded in Manhattan... (tour)

Taller/higher pier???

Piers in the destination ports are pretty low - disembarkation is on deck 0, as apposed to boarding in a ship homeport where guests embark on deck 3.

Archived