Carribean Islands-which ones????

tjcletsgo

Hi, all. I'm new to the Celebrity boards, after a disappointing HAL cruise.:confused: I'm planning a Carribean cruise with Celebrity, but I need some input.

What are your favorite islands and why? We aren't much for shopping and are big on beautiful beaches and cocktails! :D We like great snorkling! And, which ship???

Thanks for any and all help you can offer!

Janie

Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean ....

Ocho Rios, Jamaica - Amaizing....Dunns river falls is a must see for everyone!

Grand Cayman - Beautiful - Stingray City snokeling is one of the best excursions you can go on in the Caribbean!

Cozumel - Breathtaking!!!! the snokeling here is absolutly amaizing!

Key West - I don't really consider this a caribbean island but it sure feels like one when your there....lots to do.

Plus the ship, service and food are all top notch

Nancy

The Century's 7-night itineraries aren't my favorites. We were lucky to take the 9-night holiday cruise. It was great. We had two days at sea, a day and evening in San Juan, and days in St. Thomas (from which we took the ferry to one of the world's most beautiful beaches--Cinnamon Bay), St. Martin, and St. Kitts.

The things I dislike about the Century's regular 7-night itineraries are the stop in Jamaica (been there and don't want to ever go back) on the western and the stop in Nassau on the eastern.

The Century's 7-night itineraries aren't my favorites. We were lucky to take the 9-night holiday cruise. It was great. We had two days at sea, a day and evening in San Juan, and days in St. Thomas (from which we took the ferry to one of the world's most beautiful beaches--Cinnamon Bay), St. Martin, and St. Kitts.

The things I dislike about the Century's regular 7-night itineraries are the stop in Jamaica (been there and don't want to ever go back) on the western and the stop in Nassau on the eastern.

Agree----Nassau is so-so,but Jamaica is the pits.

Jamaica sucks. Aruba has lovely beaches, Grand Cayman is lovely. If you're not into shopping I'd avoid places like St. Thomas, although they do have lovely beaches, they are very crowded. Some lovely islands include St. Lucia, Barbados and Dominica.

We've been to most of the islands east, west and south and if beaches are your thing, we much prefer the east/southern islands. St. John is still among our very favorite. All of the beaches on the north side of the island are spectacular and other than Trunk Bay, none are ever crowded. Good snorkeling here, too.

St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, & Aruba all have wonderful beaches as well.

We also love the British Virgin Islands but I haven't seen any Celebrity itineraries that go there right now. Tortola and the Baths are wonderful.

Shipwise -- we like them all and would sail on any of the Celebrity ships.

Good luck! Oh...by the way, you have to cruise on a ship that stops in St. Thomas to get to St. John. ;)

geoherb /drfun48/cruise junky- Why do you never want to go to Jamaica again? I have been there several times and stayed in different upscale all-inclusives and never had a bad experience.

drfun48 & cruise junky-I would really be interested in hearing what was soooo bad that you would use words like "the pits" and "sucks".

We too have vowed "no more Jamaica". I must admit that one of my all time favorite excursions was in Jamaica; the white river tubing (sooo much fun), the Jamaica atmosphere overall is just not for me. Last year, while on a cruise, we decided to do the day pass at Beaches ($50 per person paid at front desk for all-inclusive beach day) and 30 minutes after arriving we were in a taxi back to the ship. There are too many island choices and this just isn't one of ours. But...to each there own. This is a stop on our next cruise in a couple of weeks and it will make for a nice pool day. We all have our favorites. My personal favorite beaches are Antigua, Barbados, Grand Caymen...and number one...Aruba.

:)

Rick

There are many good islands. One of the things I look for on the cruise ship itinerary is the port times. Some of the cruises (those covering longer distances) will be in a port for only a few hours. They also may have a port like San Juan where they arrive at 4 PM and leave late in the evening - not much good if you want to snorkel. The ones that sail from Florida to the Southern Caribbean islands for instance. Another downside of those sailings is a lot of them seem to leave on the weekend so mid-week some of the ports have 4 or more ships making them crowded. I've been to the Southern Caribbean twice now but on sailings that start out of San Juan Puerto Rico (Constellation) or St. Thomas (Windsurf). They have better itineraries for this area.

I agree with Anne about St. John, St Martin/Maarten, and St. Lucia. I haven't been to Aruba and St. Kitts.

Although we are going on the Millenium in Feb., it is my least favorite itinerary. I like the Western Carribean, including Ocho Rios. We did a great tour that we booked privately with someone I found on this board. They drove us up to fern gully, took us to a pottery factory that was very interesting, and we climbed Dunn's River Falls. A very nice day, and if you want to stop and do some shopping, there's a place right by the pier that's fine. The itineraries with 4 ports and 2 sea days are my favorites, which is the problem with the SOuthern from San Juan. 5 ports and only 1 sea day is too much, but my favorite beaches of all are in Antigua, and I love renting a jeep and driving around Aruba, but I don't think that's on one of their regular itineraries anymore. I prefer the Millenium class ships to the Centry/Galaxy, which by today's standards are old already, and the Horizon and Zenith are really old. We were on the Century for our 3rd cruise, which was in 96.

We've done southern and eastern, western is coming up this year. Of those, we LOVED Aruba, the best beaches, loved the people, even enjoyed the shopping. We also love St. John, USVI, the most beautiful place I've ever been. Really not too impressed with St. Maarten or St Kitts--just OK, and will only go to Atlantis in Nassau in the future. Would really like to visit Barbados and Curacao, they seem lovely.

My favorites:

St.Thomas

Cozumel

Costa Maya

Caymen

Private Islands (like Princess Cays, Labadee, and Coco Cay)

Least Favorite:

JAMAICA!! - Beautiful, but I hate feeling unsafe. I have a long story that goes with this one. I truly thought we were going to be in danger once here. I will not be back.

Nassau

• 4 weeks later...
geoherb /drfun48/cruise junky- Why do you never want to go to Jamaica again? I have been there several times and stayed in different upscale all-inclusives and never had a bad experience.

drfun48 & cruise junky-I would really be interested in hearing what was soooo bad that you would use words like "the pits" and "sucks".

Ok, here is my three experiences with Jamaica. First was with my wife. While I was on a snorkeling tour, and she was reading a book on the beach, a islander man propositioned her. She pretended she didn't hear him, and he called her a racist white #####, and threatened to kill her, which made her run screaming into the pool area. No this is not an exaggeration. The resort dismissed it, with their "no problem mon" attitude. I took it up with everyone, including the Tourist Board, their solution: a free trip back.........as if.

Second experience, I was on a cruise with wife, again. This was years later, and we were only there for a few hours, what harm could there be? How about the most obnoxious in your face tourist hawks selling you crafts until you have triplicate in everything.

Third, I was with a friend, again on a cruise, and I learned the secret to Jamaica. I spoke Spanish in response to the aggressive salespeople who hound you everywhere you go. This was met with confusion, and I was left alone.

My biggest complaint about Jamaica, having been to: St Thomas, St John, Antigua, Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, St Lucia, Grand Cayman, Aruba, Union Island, Palm Island, Petit St Vincent, Cozumel, Cancun, and many small cays is this: You never feel safe in Jamaica......Ever.......

Flamers beware, I have documentation to back it up.

Why did I go back? I am from NY, we are fools, nothing scares us for long.

having been to: St Thomas, St John, Antigua, Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, St Lucia, Grand Cayman, Aruba, Union Island, Palm Island, Petit St Vincent,

Napafredonia, when did you go to PSV and Palm? We spent a week at PSV long ago (1990) and it has been my favorite vacation. The only reason we're cruising and not going back there is because we travel with our 11 year old. We still get our yearly Christmas card from PSV and we will go back there one day.

We've done a sailing charter in the Grenadines also and they are by far my favorite islands in Caribbean.

Lisa

We've had a similar experience in Jamaica. My wife and I had several things to happen all in the same day:

First, we took a picture of a lady with fruit on her head, and kept strolling along. She chased us down, demanding $20 since I took her picture. I said no, thanks. Then, this man pursued us, threatened us, and so (like an idiot) I paid her (only $5.00 though).

Then, we kept shopping, minding our own business. As we were walking, a scary-looking man came up to us and offered us all kinds of drugs. I declined and tried to ignore him. He kept walking with us and telling us all about the town (saying he would show us around, etc. even though I told him we were not interested).

We kep walking, as as we passed people going the other way, they kept saying "Stay with your boss". ??? I wasn't understanding. My "boss" (the uninvited dude walking with us) started telling us weird things to scare us like "This is where such and such got murdered..." By now (after about 20 minutes of this nonsense), I had had enough! I turned to my wife and said, "we're getting out of here!"

The guy whistled me a cab, and said "No problem, mon! No problem. Here's a taxi. He will take you." A taxi pulled up, we got started to get in, and the freakin dude got in the taxi with us (he got in the front seat)!!!!!! At this, I panicked and said, "NO!! You get out NOW!!!!" He wouldn't he said until he got paid for the "tour" he gave me. I gave him $10, and he would not accept until I gave him more money!

We were relieved, but spooked, so I said to the taxi driver "Take me to the ship NOW!!!!!" The taxi said, "No, I take you to 'whatever' beach". I said "NO TAKE ME TO THE SHIP NOW!!!!" But he refused!!!!!!!!!! I then tried to get out of the cab, but THERE IS NO WAY TO GET OUT OF THE CAB FROM THE INSIDE...they took the door handles off!!! I started yelling STRONGLY at the guy, and he kept saying, "No I take you to the beach." So he did.

By this time I was STRESSED OUT! I got out of the taxi, went straight to a police beside the entrance of the beach (you had to pay to get in), and he didn't give a rip about the things that happened to us. The taxi then said he would WAIT for us until we were through with the beach!!! I said "no". But he still was sitting there waiting!!!!!! Like we were HIS people! We met up with some friends at the beach and took another, more trustworthy taxi back to the ship.

I HATE JAMAICA!!!!!!!!!! I don't care what anyone may respond to me. Tell me I'm stupid! Tell me I'm whatever! It doesn't matter. My experience was a strong one, and nothing anyone can say will change my mind.

You would have to be there to understand what I am saying, but i thought at minimal, we were going to be robbed, and my wife raped. Like I said, you would have to be there to understand why I say this.

We got back on the ship later (FINALLY) and a crew member of the ship (girl that worked in the ship gift shop) was all shaken up (that evening). We asked what was wrong, and she told us that she had gottnen off the ship (same day) and a taxi took her and her friends out in the country (where they didn't want to go). He kept a large machete in his front seat that he kept messing with. Demanded money, so they paid. She thought she was going to get murdered in the country (with her friends).

We just returned from the Constellation on a southern caribbean itinerary. This is our 3rd Celebrity cruise and we've done Eastern, Western and Southern (which is our favorite). The Caribbean Sea around the islands on the eastern and southern itinerary are much more striking with their turquoise waters so clear you can see the bottom even when it's deep. Here's a breakdown on the islands we've been to.

Jamaica: Personally, other than Dunn's River Falls, this is not a great stop. Very poor country and our taxi driver had to keep all the vendors and locals from accosting us.

Cozumel and Cancun: Typical Mexican ports. OK beaches, but nothing to write home about.

Grand Cayman: The only part of the western itinerary that we liked. Beautiful beaches, but nothing compared to ...

St. John (via the stop in St. Thomas). Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay are probably the most beautiful beaches we've ever seen. This is a fabulous island.

Antigua: Beautiful island, beautiful beaches.

Grenada: Horrific destruction due to Hurricane Ivan. This looks like a third world country with many of its inhabitants still without electricity or running water. The beach at Grand Anse is so loaded with vendors that you can't read a book or get a nap without being awakened or interrupted. The shopping area is actually scary. The water taxi drivers were fighting over us and really quite rude when you didn't get in their boat. The spirit of these people are great and they are trying very hard to rebuild, but as of now there isn't much to see.

Barbados: Lots of beautiful beaches and turquoise waters. We didn't see much of the interior of the island because we spent our time on a catamaran and saw only the beaches.

Next time we would love to see St. Lucia and St. Kitts (which we hear from others are incredible) and also Aruba.

Oh, I forgot ...

You will not be disappointed if you sail with one of the M class ships. The Century and Galaxy are getting a bit long in the tooth and although they are still beautiful, they are nothing compared to the M class. They are fabulous and spotless and you will definitely not be disappointed.

St. John (via the stop in St. Thomas). Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay are probably the most beautiful beaches we've ever seen. This is a fabulous island.

So Agree! On St.John the beaches have soft white sand and the water is very gentle and calm .... and so clear you will feel as if you are swimming around in an aquarium! The snorkeling is not bad either.

We've been to most of the Caribbean ports several times throughout the years. Few meet the expectations of what Caribbean beaches should be as well as St.John. Our next favorite is Aruba ... but have enjoyed MANY others very much as well.

:p You folks may think this is odd as a favorite: Last year we were on a 14-Night WESTERN on Celebrity Zenith with many port stops. Our favorite on that cruise was ... strange as it may sound ... CoCoCay. It's quite pretty and has everything a "beach lover" would want! :p

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Isn't it interesting how different folks have different opinions about this stuff.

Favorites:

St Martin

St Thomas

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

San Juan

Nassau

St John

Greanada (15 yrs ago...long before the hurricane)

These were nice too, but not favorites:

St Lucia

St Kitts

Stay on the boat unless you're on a ship's excursion:

Jamaica: We've had more than one bad experience as well

Barbados: Almost as bad as Jamaica

Archived