All things- Silver Spirit!

Host Dan

Hi Doug, thanks for the Spirit fidelity; tho believe Helmut left the Spirit abruptly in

late Feb/early March for Seabourn and was replaced by SS culinary Director Rudy

Scholtes.

"Don't know if any of the Grand Cruise folks are going to post a review, but we talked to friends who were on for the full 91 days today. They and many of the folks traveling with them were disappointed with the service during portions of the cruise. It's to the point that some of them who were booked for the 2011 WC cancelled. These are not folks new to SS. They have all done 2 Shadow long cruises in 2008 and 2009. Capt Corsaro got back yesterday in FLL. Paolo came back in LA. Fernando got off in LA. Helmut was on for most of the Grand Cruise, but I think he's off now. Antonio was aboard for the entire cruise, as was Gustavo. I understand that there were some major management meetings in FLL yesterday. While the report won't change our feelings or plans re Silver Spirit, it's sad to hear. I don't think SS will stand for such lapses for long and I'm sure that was the crux of the meetings. Also, I guess they've reclassified suites 701 and 702 as Royal Suites and not Grand Suites."

Sir,

You make these statements/comments as though they are facts. A few people were disappointed. About what? What about the other 500+ people on the ship that loved it. I don't know what point you are trying to make. Are you trying to scare people? You talk about company management meetings as though you were copied on the memos. Take a break and look for some other company/product to trash. There are many of us that enjoy reading the reviews and comments directly from the folks that sailed on the ship.

Neilo, where you perceive Doug trashing Silversea, my perception is 180 degrees different. Doug was passing along information that he felt SS CC readers would appreciate. As I posted immediately after Doug's post, I appreciated the Spirit information Doug posted, albeit, not good Spirit news.

Doug will speak for himself, but I have sailed on the Spirit's Maiden crossing with Doug and have yet to meet another extraordinarily loyal Silversea cruiser. In stead of filling out the normal end of cruise critique form--on day 14of our 16 day sailing, Doug spent many, many hours writing/re-writing a multi page personal letter to the Silversea management highlighting, in his opinion, that the Spirit was the most beautiful, best designed, best sailing ship he has sailed on. Although, his letter primarily highlighted the wonderful aspects of the Spirit and fantastic Captain and crew--he did point out some Spirit areas that needed management's attention. Very reasonable feedback, considering this was a maiden voyage and the Spirit crew was still learning and the Spirit was not yet 100% in hardware delivery. I know Doug's sincere intent was to bring to SS's management attention what a wonderful new Ship (w/super crew) they have in the SS fleet and to provide an experienced first-hand Spirit sailing experience to the SS management so if they choose to act on his Spirit recommendations, future sailings on the Spirit would be even that more exceptional.

Doug knows ships, how they handle and how a ship's crew works as a team, IMO better than almost all luxury cruisers. He is an experienced luxury cruiser, having, over 250 Days on Regent, multiple days on SS, but now he sails exclusively on SS. Doug is a fellow Veteran (retired Navy Captain) spent decades in the US Navy and years on US War ships in all types of sea conditions.

Doug hand carried this exceptionally well written letter to Paolo, CD and within hours Captain Corsaro (Spirit's Captain) thanked Doug for his wonderful comments and identiying Spirit crew that went above and beyond. Doug has two more Spirit cruises booked in 2010 (b2b) and one in 2011, along with another SS sailing on the cloud or wind next April. If u care to read Doug's letter to SS, see post #255 in the link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22780160&highlight=#post22780160

Sorry if I upset anyone. That was not my intention. Just trying to pass along info that I think will be of interest to Spirit cruisers. I will say that the group mentioned were on their 3rd or 4th circumnavigation of South America. That and the fact that they are very service oriented may have affected their perceptions. Certainly, their views and actions don't jive with Craig and Will's comments. Miss Lynn and I are avid SS cruisers. However, we did have some lapses in service during the T/A and were attributing it to the new ship and crew. The main problems seemed to be with service in the Restauant. Hope that changes. We certainly are not going anywhere. Silversea is our line of choice. And thanks, Wes. I don't need any boosting though. I've got a pretty thick skin.

two tips (one not good) follow:

if you book cabin 644(directly above lobby bar piano/band) you will hear music until

midnight every night. the couple who had occupied this suite ask to be moved and

SS accomodated them down the hall a few suites.

this is the most serious "poor" systemic issue on the spirit I believe...deals with the mobility challenged

folks (e.g., you use a wheelchair or walker) u CANNOT get the wheelchair or walker thru the door way. JoAnne (who posts on CC, SS thread) is using a walker now and can't get it to her side of the bed..makes it very difficult for her to get up from the bed. The doorways are too narrow for wheelchairs and walkers to pass through.

Thanks for this heads up on 644

Our TA booked this suite for us and specifically asked about the potential noise problem. Was advised we would not hear a peep

Nice to look out my office window and see the Spirit docked at 44th street in the Hudson. It's looking spectacular! Looking nice and ready for the TA crossing. Those boarding tomorrow--enjoy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dieter gave us a tour of his Silver Suite on the maiden crossing, if I recall

there are two TV's in the Silver...but to be sure have sent an email to

Dieter to answer your ?

Was only in the Silver suite once, but there are 2 TVs as I remember; one in the bedroom and one in the livivg room. Same with Grand and Royal. They are flat panel and not the mirror TVs as in the Verandah suites.

We are sailing 10/23/10 Lisboa - Barbados on the Spirit. Currently we have a veranda guarantee but no assigned suite as of yet. My concern is we'll end up with one of the suites above the bar area on deck 6. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved or do I need to get on my TA to make sure it doesn't happen? I don't mind a little noise from the ship but hearing loud music late in the evening will definitely disturb my wife's "Princess and the Pea" ears.;)

Longhorn1, there are two LCD TV's in the Spirit silver suite, just as Doug described. One is in the living room above the bar/espresso machine. The other is in the bedroom, on the cabinet in front of the bed. For more photos, see my earlier post #117 on page 6 of this thread.

th_P1030280.jpg

th_P1030271.jpg

White Oak, I don't know if the noise issue was permanently solved, but they did change the bar band hours in late January, which made the port side 640's more tolerable. But the starboard side was really not as affected by the noise. We were in 651 for the Ft. Lauderdale to Barbados segment, and there was no problem. You will probably be fine if you stay starboard (odd numbered suites). That said, on our upcoming Spirit cruise in August, we moved slightly forward, to 637, to be on the safe side.

Dougburns...Thanks for your reply regarding the TV thing in the Silver Suite. I appreciate it!

Well..: same to you--thanks for the heads up.

Lordofthe seas: To answer your question about why would I want two TV's--well, when you have been married for 38 years, some folks want to spread out and have 2 TV's! It's really very simple...Having said that, if you have been married for oh, say, 20 years or so, you may not care...But, for a couple like us--who may want to sail for a month of so--we care! PS: When my wife an I play golf (and we do, all over the world) we gamble for "clicker control". Many times we travel with our own DVD's. If she wins, (I give her 3 per side, and it ain't really fair--she's a sandbager) I may get yet another dose of Funny Girl. If I win--thank you god--I give her a dose of Sports Center, complete with the toast--on the green--of "DUHN-Nah,Nah, DUNN, NAH NAHHH!! :)

Dougburns...Thanks for your reply regarding the TV thing in the Silver Suite. I appreciate it!

Well..: same to you--thanks for the heads up.

Lordofthe seas: To answer your question about why would I want two TV's--well, when you have been married for 38 years, some folks want to spread out and have 2 TV's! It's really very simple...Having said that, if you have been married for oh, say, 20 years or so, you may not care...But, for a couple like us--who may want to sail for a month of so--we care! PS: When my wife an I play golf (and we do, all over the world) we gamble for "clicker control". Many times we travel with our own DVD's. If she wins, (I give her 3 per side, and it ain't really fair--she's a sandbager) I may get yet another dose of Funny Girl. If I win--thank you god--I give her a dose of Sports Center, complete with the toast--on the green--of "DUHN-Nah,Nah, DUNN, NAH NAHHH!! :)

Good answer,

My wife says that you should work at your marriage more.:D

Don't pay any attention to her.Practice your swing,then you'll win more.

Archived