Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

You are allowed to put alcohol in your checked bags to fly to San Juan - check any airline or the TSA website - but it must be in your "checked bags". So there is no need to stop in San Juan to buy or worry about buying at duty free at the port...

We bought liquor in Florida - bought a few water bottles - emptied them out and put the liquor in it and packed it in our clothes.

No problems with the airlines or on Celebrity Summit. Made it to our room and our room attendant made sure we had ice and fresh drink glasses everyday.

We did however bring an extra duffle bag (w/wheels is preferable) and had our cab driver stop at the grocery store (El Pueblo) on the way to the port. We filled the duffle with a case of water, case of coke, 12 pack of sprite and cranberry juice. When we checked our bags in at the port - the duffle went with the other bags just like it had clothes in it. It was just a bit heavier :)

just back from aos and the scanners are not working so just but alcohol in carrry on luggage and walk on no problem:D

Thanks for the update! With my luck the scanners will be up and working by March :( At least I can still get some mixers at the pier.

Keep the updates coming everyone!

Cruised out of SJU twice with no problem putting it in the carry-on for Princess and Carnival right after buying it CHEAP at the duty-free. I'm hoping to do this again on the RCL AOS in Feb, I'll keep checking for updates.

I intend to have some in a thermos or something as a fallback in my checked luggage.

Keep on posting!

I just returned from a princess cruise departing from San Juan. I had no problem with a few bottles of wine in my checked luggage and putting a bottle of vodka (purchased in duty free store at pier) in my carry on luggage. No problem

So I can bring alcohol from home in my luggage on the plane to SJU if its in a checked bag??? I think Id be worried about it breaking.

This is cut and paste straight from the TSA website on allowable alcohol limits in Checked Baggage.

"

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations."

Last January, we filled our rent car with gas before returning it to Charlie's Car rental. My husband went to pay with a credit card...the gas station had a minimum purchase requirement, so he bought 2 - 10 or 12 oz bottles of beer to make up the difference. I put them in my carry-on without giving any thought to the rule against carrying liquor on board. Those 2 silly bottles were confiscated by security as we walked onto the Summit! We bought 2 bottles of wine at the store at the pier...that was allowed by Celebrity and not challenged, but not those 2 beers.They were returned to us on our bed the last night of the cruise!

On Carnival you are allowed 1 bottle per person in your carry on and you can bring from home, put them in your carry on bag. No need to buy at pier

Thanks!! From the previous posts it sounded like the only booze allowed was if it was purchased at the pier!

Celebrity you're allowed two bottles of wine per stateroom. :)

My question is, do I HAVE to buy it AT THE PIER? Can't I buy it elsewhere? :confused:

The wine you carry on came come from anywhere. It does not have to be purchased at the pier.

Just recently returned from AOS and brought everything in rum runners. All was packed in checked bagage. Not a problem at all. We also bought water, juice and soda in SJ and packed it in another bag and tagged it as a checked bag. All arrived to our room safe and sound. This saved us tons of money. We brought plastic bottles with a sippy top and made drinks to bring to the pool area everyday. Still bought dinner drinks and drinks at out favorite bar.

So from what I've read I've gathered that there is a liquor store right where you check in to the cruise ships that also sells juices and sodas. Is this the best place to buy things to bring on board the ship price and convenience-wise? Thanks for any advice!!

So from what I've read I've gathered that there is a liquor store right where you check in to the cruise ships that also sells juices and sodas. Is this the best place to buy things to bring on board the ship price and convenience-wise? Thanks for any advice!!

Pop, Juice, Wine yes. Have a nail clipper with if you buy booze. It will go through security they will put a plastic band on your bag so they know when you are going to enter the ship you have booze. Well when you start to walk to the ship, clip the plastic band and you are good to go.