Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

Just thought I'd add for Carnival cruisers...

Just off the Victory on the 25th, and we had two checked suitcases, each with 2 bottles of wine and 1 large rum runner half full. We also had 2 bottles of wine in our carryon. Everything made it to the cabin with no problems, and we left our luggage unlocked, as my 4 year old appears to have scattered our luggage locks around the house somewhere. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

RE: Celebrity from San Juan

You're allowed 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, if you're 2 people. Has anyone tried to bring on 2 bottles of wine in the carry-on and another 2 bottles in the checked baggage? You aren't with your checked baggage to board the ship, so how would they know that you already got on with some?

We will be sailing out of San Juan at the end of April. I have been thinking that I will have to spend time looking for Chardonnay Somewhere on Ashford St. (The Radisson the day before). Will/does the Pan American pier have a wine store that has the larger 1.5liter bottles and how are the prices if they do. If wine is available there then I will wait to purchase it at 'the pier' store.

Last year we were sailing on the Celebrity Summit.

We went to the store at the Pier and bought a few bottles of our liking. The gentleman at the store told us to put it in our carry on, our checked luggage was already gone.

He said that when you go through xray they will put a sticker on your carry on that announces to the screeners at the ship door that your carry on contains alcohol.

He told us to remove the sticker and no one will do a thing.

It was in my carry on, my hubby got behind me and took the sticker off as we were walking towards the gang plank.

We got on with our alcohol (not wine) with no problems.

I also wanted to note that this was the only time that we ever had to do anything about getting alcohol on board, previous years we have just walked right on the ship with it in our carry on with absolutely no problems, so they are tightening things up in regards to taking alcohol on board.

I have a very recent report from San Juan on Princess at the Pan Am Pier departing Dec 19th, 2010. We were told at check-in that you could bring on one bottle of wine (maybe beer?) and all other alcohol would be held til the end of the cruise....

My son and another college aged 'kid' went into the Duty Free shop at the pier and purchased about 10 bottles of various alcohol (mostly rum). Somewhere between checking out of the Duty Free and the ramp, they stuffed all the booze into their backpacks and walked right on, and right past the Duty Free table.

They said something to some other passengers on the ship, and some ran back off the ship and did the same thing.

It was the same story at all of our stops during the week.

My sister bought a bottle of rum at the Bacardi factory. It was kept by the cruiseline for the duration of the cruise (Serenade of the Seas). It was an expensive bottle with a nice custom case, so she did not make any attempt to sneak it onboard. The only issue she had with them taking it for the cruise was they marked the collector case with a sharpie to identify it, which ruined the case.

I'm sure people have been successful at sneaking liqour onboard, but I just wanted to mention that it is not allowed and they will take it if they find it. (On the other hand, they could care less about soda- have walked onboard every cruise with it).

We sailed Carnival out of San Juan in 2004. We bought at the pier and carried on with no problem. We are sailing Victory on 1/23. Anyone recently off Victory? Can you still carry on liquor from the store at the pier?

Anyone have problems with liquor in checked bags?

Last year we were sailing on the Celebrity Summit.

We went to the store at the Pier and bought a few bottles of our liking. The gentleman at the store told us to put it in our carry on, our checked luggage was already gone.

He said that when you go through xray they will put a sticker on your carry on that announces to the screeners at the ship door that your carry on contains alcohol.

He told us to remove the sticker and no one will do a thing.

It was in my carry on, my hubby got behind me and took the sticker off as we were walking towards the gang plank.

We got on with our alcohol (not wine) with no problems.

I also wanted to note that this was the only time that we ever had to do anything about getting alcohol on board, previous years we have just walked right on the ship with it in our carry on with absolutely no problems, so they are tightening things up in regards to taking alcohol on board.

You will love Barrachinas we did. They put on a great show we had a large group as well. They don't rush you and the pina coladas are to die for.

You will love Barrachinas we did. They put on a great show we had a large group as well. They don't rush you and the pina coladas are to die for.

That is the place that will also hold your luggage post cruise, right? We have a late flight. And lots of carry on bags.

I would really like to see some more recent answers on this. We have sailed out of San Juan several times in the past and the liquor store that is right there when boarding would always tell us to purchase it from them and we could carry on. We never did - I was scared Carnival would just turn around and take it away from us. Will be stopping there on upcoming cruise. Thanks

RCCL held everyones luggage that had suspected alcohol in it. We had a case of water, which had rum in some of the bottles. They kept our bag for us to claim it. They asked to search our bag and they did. They didn't see anything and we walked away with everything. If you took on a bottle (adventure of the seas) they kept it til the end of the cruise. We met several people who had that happen to them. This was on 1/2/2011.

So where can I buy liquor ? Is there a store right at or near the port ? Flying in on the 13th feb and cruising Victory.

yes theres a store right in the port upstairs has a good selection of hard alcohol, if you want beer or wine you have to go somewhere outside the port. we didnt try to bring beer on last time but we will try in march. as long as their rules havent changed.

Is their a duty free liquor store at the Pan Am Pier and do they have the larger sizes of wine bottles? (In particular chardonnay).I am unsure as to which pier most of the above posts refer to.

There are tax free stores at both the pier 4 and Pan Am piers (right after you check in). They have some wine (not tons). I don't know about larger sizes of wine bottles.

We sailed Carnival out of San Juan in 2004. We bought at the pier and carried on with no problem. We are sailing Victory on 1/23. Anyone recently off Victory? Can you still carry on liquor from the store at the pier?

Anyone have problems with liquor in checked bags?

can you please let me know what you find out when you come back, no one on here every has an answer for me. thanks!

can you please let me know what you find out when you come back, no one on here every has an answer for me. thanks!

Yes, I think people are afraid to give a straight answer any more, considering the cruise lines read the boards.